[Suggestion] Site Awards

Here are two threads i found that are related to this topic although they are pretty old so i'm not surprised if you didn't find them.

EDIT: Also, here is the awards/stickers link: https://psnprofiles.com/?stickers

Edited by Oblivion

Yeah, there was an old post about this quite a while ago that discussed it, and brought up "stickers" (which the images and names are still live actually if you click the link) - I think that it ultimately just didn't go through for various reasons.

My personal opinion about those from various other sites I know that have them as they show some cool stuff and that they are okay to have but they are also just useless at the same time, lol

Edited by BlindMango

My personal opinion about those from various other sites I know that have them as they show some cool stuff and that they are okay to have but they are also just useless at the same time, lol

Yes they are useless, but then again they are fun to earn. Besides don't they remind you of something everyone on this site loves? Those things are 'useless' too but again they are fun to earn.

It's just a fun way for the community to show what he/she has done for the site. I really like the idea of getting a "site trophy" for completing x amount of gaming session & creating guides. We could even expand this to special threads, like a "site trophy" for winning the Signature of the month, or for winning in one of the league threads. 

I belong to another site that tracks a lot of different trophy related miletsones, including consecutive days with a trophy.  Due to how late I picked up my PS3 and my work schedule, I can never catch those who have tons of trophies or get a platinum a day, but thanks to consecutive days with a trophy, I am near the top of at least 1 leaderboard, which is pretty nice.

That was my long way of saying I am game for any kind of awards system.

No.

Site Awards create a class system that ultimately excludes and/or discourages new members from participating. You end with roving gangs supporting one prominent member or another as they fight for their faction to win certain awards (deserved or not) and more often than not, it ends it shit-fights.

Also, things like Member of the Month and Member of the Year are not only rigged by the aforementioned gangs, but those who win tend to take their Award and leave the community. They've achieved the status they desired and moved on. So the members who are of the most value leave a vacuum in their wake and the community dies a long, slow death. This is exactly what we saw at .com over the past 6 years and nothing has changed in the interim.

One of the attractions of PSNP is the sense of equality among the members. Awards divide communities rather than uniting them by turning the forums into dick-waving contests. Sly's approach here has always been "Keep it simple stupid". Sly created this site because he didn't like what was going on at .com. So don't hold your breath on Site Awards, I don't see them coming any time soon.

The one concession he's made in is enabling Like buttons. That gives us a sense that the contributions we make are appreciated, but it's not crammed down everyone's throat like it is on other sites.

Awards don't have to be earned competitively. Requirements for awards could be picked by us, the community.

Awards for posts, psn levels, helping the devs with bugs don't exclude new members from old ones. They just promote good behavior / dedication. 

• Like 1

Awards don't have to be earned competitively. Requirements for awards could be picked by us, the community.

Awards for posts, psn levels, helping the devs with bugs don't exclude new members from old ones. They just promote good behavior / dedication.

From experience on other trophy sites, it does become a competition, whether that's the intent or not. It can lead to elitism and ultimately, bullying. Over the years, that's the feedback we get from a lot of new members at .com and it's something we want to avoid here.

We want everyone to feel comfortable, regardless of post count. There are no cliques here, everyone is friendly and there's no class delineation between vets and noobs. Awards, unintentionally, lead down that path and for that reason, I'd prefer we leave awards on other sites.

We get participation here without the need for site awards. We've got Leaderboards for the competitive aspect, leave the forums as a place to relax without the added pressure of activity-related trophies.

Again, it's Sly's site, so I'm not going to pretend to speak for him. I know awards are easy to plugin to Invision Power Board, but I can tell you from clients of mine who own and run fora, that adding awards leads to conflict rather than deepening a sense of community.

That and it adds fat to an otherwise slim and slick site experience. I hate bloat. I love PSNP.

Edited by ant1th3s1s
  • Like 2

Kinda similar to what they have over at .org, I like this idea.

Exactly what I was thinking, they have this sort of this on .org and ps3trophies.com...

Ultimately, I am all for it, just a little bit more for the mods, which I'm sure have enough to do already.

And someone said this discourages newcomers. I hardly see how. It would in fact do one of two things:

1. ENCOURAGE newcomers to have those awards on display on their public profile OR

2. Do nothing, as they don't care about it.

That's my take on it :) 

Please God, no. The site awards suck at playstationtrophies.org, and has contributed to the horrible clique-ish nature of that cesspool. This site is great because of its DIFFERENCES from that site.

Let's stop trying to turn this (good) into that (bad).

Disagree. Like I said, this will lend itself to annoying cliques. PST.org is almost unbearable because of the omnipresence of mods and others "in" types there. This site is SIGNIFICANTLY better - it just needs more traffic. I don't this site awards will accomplish this.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1