PvP Experiences

Monk746

So I've got quite a few PvP sessions under my belt now, and was wondering what experiences others are having with it. I've read up on people compaining about how it's unbalanced, with others claiming that their problem is that they simply suck. Based on what I've experienced, I say it's unbalanced.

Take a shotgun for example. A point blank shot with them result in a 1 hit kill, but there's been numerous times now where a point blank shot (even head shot) caused 0 damage. there's even been a few times where I've caused a 1 hit kill at what could be considered "long range" for a shotgun. Maybe this isn't considered whats reffered to as "unbalanced", but why are there such extremes with even the same weapon?

Ever try using sticky grenades? Lately I've been leveling a Sunsinger Warlock while using sticky grenades in PvP. These are great since if your throw is very close to an enemy, a small but very accurate "homing" will take place. The frustrating part, is that they don't always stick. There's been too many cases in which I've watched that little orange/yellow ball of light litterally bounce off the enemy.

There's more negative experiences I'm personally having. Like my homing rocketlauncher that only homes in 50% of the time durring PvP, or being killed by 1-4 bursts of a burst rifle from the same enemy (yeah, sometimes 1 burst killed me while other times it's taken multiple bursts, from the same enemy and on the same match), but those are two of the more resent problems I've been having.

You can call my poor experiences a "lack of skill", but not all of them have been poor. My best match to date, was a 28 kills, 5 assists, K/D ratio of 5.6 in a control match (even took a picture because I was so excited). I've only ever seen 1 person with a higher K/D, which was a little over 7.0 with almost 20 kills.

My first dozen or two matches were extremely poor, with a K/D of about 0.5, while it's roughly 2.0 now, but I still find some aspects of the game "unbalanced." Some matches it feels like the game is throwing me a bone, while others it feels like it's trying to add a handicap to my play.

So I was wondering about others experiences. Has there been times where the scales have unreasonably tipped in your favor? Or times when it seems the game is trying to pick on you?

I enjoy PvP in Destiny. That is the reason why I come back to Destiny sometimes (and raids). I'm at 2.98KD overall, I have KD of 3.04 with my Hunter, what is mostly use in PvP.

I completely agree with you that the PvP is unbalanced. Fusion rifles one shots you from like 30 meters. Thorn and Hawkmoon kills you in two hits. Thing that I like in PvP that if you die with Heavy Ammo, you don't drop them. When you do good on a match and like the last guy gets exotic.

It would be awesome that Bungie would make a gamemode in which you can't use supers. It's so annoying when you are on +10 killstreak and come to 1v1 with Titan. You are about to kill him/her but then he/she uses Fist of Panic (Fist of Havoc). Or when Warlock self-resurrects after you kill him/her and then he/she is practically invincible and kills you.

I usually play Skrimish. I like to play it because you can revive your teammates. It's only 3v3 so it more tactical than Control or Clash. My best match was 33 kills 0 deaths, in Skirmish. My teammates were complete noobs.

It all depends on if I'm winning :P  I don't really worry about my KDA as long as the team is winning.  I enjoy PVP but I lack the mechanical skill to carry which is why I prefer team matches like Control or Clash.  I'm much better at strategy and tactics.  Skirmish/Salvage rely too much on teamwork and I have no friends. I do dislike "cheap" mechanics like 1 shot snipers, blink shotty, sticky grenades, and the Vex, Hawkmoon etc (mostly because I don't have them).  I do like that Bungie has tried to nerf the fusion rifles and shotguns in PVP though.  I'm fine with a shotgun or fusion rifle being a 1 hit at close range but the ranges it was at before were ridiculous.  Although certain shotguns still have a ridiculous range.

Edited by Quikdrawjoe

i didn't played much Destiny since last october (so i guess PvP changed a lot) but from what i remember the PvP was kind of cool, excepted that 80% it was full of Hunter with the blade ultra power (don't remember the name of the super attack xD) But it wasn't THAT Unbalanced.

Haven't played Destiny in ages, and didn't play PvP til later on, but I never really had any problems with it. Sure, Supers can be annoying, but it feels good to whomp a group with Fist of Havoc. Loved Shoulder Charging everybody.

But yeah, there'd be times where I blitz it and times where I completely flop. In the end, they basically just cancel each other out though..

Edited by TriggerTortoise

• 3 weeks later...

I have figured out how to "enjoy" PVP mode. You simply follow someone else the entire time and take down enemies together. Since I've tried this, my KTD has spiked. The higher the level your buddy is the better. You'll likely only get around 10-15 kills a game (occasionally 20-25 kills) and 5-10 assists a game but you'll probably only die 4-8 times at the most.

I have figured out how to "enjoy" PVP mode. You simply follow someone else the entire time and take down enemies together. Since I've tried this, my KTD has spiked. The higher the level your buddy is the better. You'll likely only get around 10-15 kills a game (occasionally 20-25 kills) and 5-10 assists a game but you'll probably only die 4-8 times at the most.

Welcome to the club of smart Destiny players, your jacket and cigars are in the parlor.

• Like 1

I think that PvP is unbalanced, but that's the point.  Completely balanced play, where both sides are equal and use the exact same weapons, is boring, and there are a lot of games like that.  In this game, certain strategies may seem overpowered, but there is always a counter.

I get killed by hunters a lot who blink strike and use a shotgun when they are overhead.  Instead of getting frustrated, I made a small adjustment and started to dodge laterally instead of straight backwards.  I can usually catch them off guard that way.

I hear a lot of complaints about Thorn, but again, you can counter it by taking advantage of the low damage output on anything but headshots.

I think Destiny's PvP is a lot of fun, especially with friends you can talk to.  Not so much when you're on a team of randoms and no one is using a mic.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I played a few games of it before I completely gave up. I'd just finished the story and got the level 20, and thought I'd try my hand at the multiplayer. Little did I know everyone else would be at least seven level higher than me and I'd stand no chance. I think I got one, maybe two kills across the three or four games I played. Enough to put me off the entire game... I haven't played since, which is a shame, because I thought the game was quite cool and pretty, even if it did feel like Call of Duty had a lovechild with Borderlands...

I think I played a few games of it before I completely gave up. I'd just finished the story and got the level 20, and thought I'd try my hand at the multiplayer. Little did I know everyone else would be at least seven level higher than me and I'd stand no chance. I think I got one, maybe two kills across the three or four games I played. Enough to put me off the entire game... I haven't played since, which is a shame, because I thought the game was quite cool and pretty, even if it did feel like Call of Duty had a lovechild with Borderlands...

Level (Attack and Defense values) has no effect in normal Crucible, only in Iron Banner.