Man sues Ubisoft and GT for Assassins Creed

Kirbz

A man named John Beiswenger has sued Ubisoft and GameTrailers for stealing the storyline for Assassin's Creed from a novel he wrote called Link. Nintendo might take issue with that title for obvious reasons. All kidding aside, the confusing part of the lawsuit is why he decided to sue GameTrailers. According to the complaint he named the popular website in the lawsuit for offering a number of video game trailers related to the Assassin's Creed series.

Beiswenger, who is also a research engineer that holds over 20 U.S. utility patents (color LCD touch display technology, digital alarm clock electronics, fingerprint scanning technology and surgical instrument sterilization) published his novel Link in 2002. The first Assassin's Creed video game was released in 2007.

In the complaint filed with the U.S. District Court for the middle district of Pennsylvania earlier this week, Beiswenger alleged 11 counts of copyright infringement against Ubisoft and GameTrailers, for various video games, books and videos.

The author asserts in his complaint that the plotlines of the various Ubisoft games heavily borrow from his Link novel including a device and a lab which allows the protagonists the ability to relive memories through the eyes of ancestors. The device and lab are similar to the Animus in Assassin's Creed, he claims. The novel also makes references to assassins and assassinations related to the Link device, claims Beiswenger.

Beiswenger wants the court to halt any further infringement of his copyright and is demanding damages of up to $5.25 million.

source: http://ht.ly/1iSr4X

I wonder if this will effect future AC games? :( I hope not.

funny, thats the exact same thing i said as soon as i read it. i really hope AC3 comes out the way its being shown right now, and that nothing gets removed. i also hope that it wont get delayed just because of this.

Hopefully this lawsuit stops the abomination of gaming known as the Assassin's Creed series. Put Ubisoft's efforts towards something more useful....

be honest. youd rather play assassins creed than ubisoft's failed attempt at adding a new game to the prince of persia triology, known as "project: forgotten fail of sands"

be honest. youd rather play assassins creed than ubisoft's failed attempt at adding a new game to the prince of persia triology, known as "project: forgotten fail of sands"

I enjoyed that game more than Assassin's Creed, to be totally honest. I've never played other PoP games to have as a reference point though.

I enjoyed that game more than Assassin's Creed, to be totally honest. I've never played other PoP games to have as a reference point though.

well you should, this way you would have something to compare it to. before ubisoft was making quality games, now the only good ubisoft series imo is assassins creed.

Rayman: Origins was amazing. Not sure of the quality of the rest of the Rayman games though.

lol yeah rayman 2 was one of my first pc games, and i loved it. but there are very little good ubisoft games now.

Wow...this is REALLY lame. Ubisoft should just pay the dick the money (what is five mill to a company like that???) and put the crap behind them. Also they should buy the rights to the book and then burn it and retract all existing copies in stores. :devil:

lol yeah rayman 2 was one of my first pc games, and i loved it. but there are very little good ubisoft games now.

I like them as a company. Rayman: Origins, Heroes of Might &Magic series, No More Heroes 1 & 2, Outland... they've made several games that I really enjoyed. Hopefully this bullcrap lawsuit will disappear soon enough and Beyond Good & Evil 2 will show up sometime in the future.

I like them as a company. Rayman: Origins, Heroes of Might &Magic series, No More Heroes 1 & 2, Outland... they've made several games that I really enjoyed. Hopefully this bullcrap lawsuit will disappear soon enough and Beyond Good & Evil 2 will show up sometime in the future.

lol yeah. i really hope this doesnt affect assassins creed though, they are one of my favorite series of all time. i also hope they will make a collectors edition for 3, OR ELSE YOULL BE SEEING ME THROWING A LAWSUIT AT UBISOFT FOR NEGLECTING NORTH AMERICA DX i cry every night thinking about europe getting the s3xy collectors edition of revelations, and all we got was a silver case :( im a collector, and if one game doesnt have a collectors edition it ruins everything for me.

lol yeah. i really hope this doesnt affect assassins creed though, they are one of my favorite series of all time. i also hope they will make a collectors edition for 3, OR ELSE YOULL BE SEEING ME THROWING A LAWSUIT AT UBISOFT FOR NEGLECTING NORTH AMERICA DX i cry every night thinking about europe getting the s3xy collectors edition of revelations, and all we got was a silver case :( im a collector, and if one game doesnt have a collectors edition it ruins everything for me.

I'd be amazed if some crackpot single-handidly took down the AC series. It's for sure Ubisofts flag-ship series and there's no way they'd let it go down like that. My guess for a worst case scenaio... they just give him more money than his little novel could ever make and he goes away.

If PS3's are indeed region free like I hear than just get a European collectors edition imported.

I'd be amazed if some crackpot single-handidly took down the AC series. It's for sure Ubisofts flag-ship series and there's no way they'd let it go down like that. My guess for a worst case scenaio... they just give him more money than his little novel could ever make and he goes away.

If PS3's are indeed region free like I hear than just get a European collectors edition imported.

and that, is too expensive xD

but yeah i doubt he will win, nobodys even heard of the book "link". google link, you get the green guy from zelda. google link book, and this is what you get https://www.google.com/search?q=link+book&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=bIiPT4GTIYP-ggfK-dCNBQ&biw=1241&bih=606&sei=bYiPT778H83BgAes4fXQBA#um=1&hl=en&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=link+book&oq=link+book&aq=f&aqi=g3g-m2g-S5&aql=&gs_nf=1&gs_l=img.3..0l3j0i5l2j0i24l5.1648.2051.2.2186.4.4.0.0.0.0.149.372.1j2.3.0.kYcjS5UfpZQ&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=13dd3ee0b578f11a&biw=1241&bih=606 the book probably doesnt even exist. he wrote it in a week, put the date as 2004, and hopes to collect the money.

Here's my question: WHY THE HELL IS HE SUING GAMETRAILERS?

GT has nothing to do with the game, other than showing videos/trailers of it. If he's going to sue them, he should sue every other source that shows the same things.

It MAY hold up in court against Ubi - if the story in his book is similar to the games enough - but the lawsuit against GT will hold absolutely no water.

Here's my question: WHY THE HELL IS HE SUING GAMETRAILERS?

GT has nothing to do with the game, other than showing videos/trailers of it. If he's going to sue them, he should sue every other source that shows the same things.

It MAY hold up in court against Ubi - if the story in his book is similar to the games enough - but the lawsuit against GT will hold absolutely no water.

lol yeah might as well sue youtube.