Banjo Kazooie Spiritual Sequel Revealed

MStalker58

Interesting article on the spiritual sequel to Banjo Kazooie. The game is titled Yooka-Laylee, the two main characters in the game. Looks like this will be the next big Kickstarter project joining the likes of Mighty No. 9. Glad to see most of the people behind Rare's success back in the day working on this. If their Kickstarter campaign goes well they plan to release the game on PS4, X1, Wii U, etc. I'll definitely keep an eye on this as time goes on.

Yooka Laylee

There's also an article on IGN with a video of the characters in action.

Yooka-Laylee Video

Edited by MStalker58
  • Like 1

While that is cool, I would much rather have a Jet Force Gemini sequel. That game was the most underrated thing Rare put out during their legendary N64 run.

That would be cool. Jet Force Gemini gets overlooked with all of the other franchises Rare had success with like Goldeneye 007, Perfect Dark, Donkey Kong Country, Banjo Kazooie, etc. Not sure why it didn't have the commercial success as some of their other projects. Definitely a great game.

Holy crap I just googled "Rare N64 games" and they didn't put out 1 stinker in their entire time with the Nintendo 64 (well I haven't played Mickey Speedway so I can't say for sure about that one).

Blast Corps

Goldeneye 64

Perfect Dark

Donkey Country 64

Jet Force Gemini

Banjo Kazooie

Banjo Tooie

Conker's Bad Fur Day

Diddy Kong Racing

Killer Instinct Gold

Has any other company had that amazing of a run before? I mean I want to go back and play Mickey's Speedway to see if I can give them a perfect 10/10

• Like 1

No Kameo or Viva Pinata mention?  Anyway, I just saw some footage, my reaction to it was not bad. It has the Banjo and K world down to a tee and it seems very colourful. I just hope Rare don't drop Banjo and K this E3 cause if that happens, that would be a burn. 

Holy crap I just googled "Rare N64 games" and they didn't put out 1 stinker in their entire time with the Nintendo 64 (well I haven't played Mickey Speedway so I can't say for sure about that one).

Blast Corps

Goldeneye 64

Perfect Dark

Donkey Country 64

Jet Force Gemini

Banjo Kazooie

Banjo Tooie

Conker's Bad Fur Day

Diddy Kong Racing

Killer Instinct Gold

Has any other company had that amazing of a run before? I mean I want to go back and play Mickey's Speedway to see if I can give them a perfect 10/10

Yeah it might be the most amazing run I can remember from a company. Such a shame that several core members left the company. Then Rare was never the same after being bought by Microsoft. Still, it was one hell of a run while it lasted. Especially considering it wasn't just 1 great franchise with a bunch of sequels. Have to admit I never played Mickey's Speedway either. No idea how that was.

No Kameo or Viva Pinata mention?  Anyway, I just saw some footage, my reaction to it was not bad. It has the Banjo and K world down to a tee and it seems very colourful. I just hope Rare don't drop Banjo and K this E3 cause if that happens, that would be a burn.

If they do show off a new Banjo at E3, it'll most likely be a Kinect game. This is Microsoft's Rare we're talking about.

Anyways, I'm excited for this. I hope the game turns out great, and has success.

If they do show off a new Banjo at E3, it'll most likely be a Kinect game. This is Microsoft's Rare we're talking about.

They would never do that! Giving Banjo his own game? That's poposterous!

I'm so sorry, Conker... T_T

Edited by Blue Flare

Anyways, I'm excited for this. I hope the game turns out great, and has success.

Lol, they dropped the kinect long time ago. 

Lol, they dropped the kinect long time ago. 

Whaaaaa but the Kinect is a super cereal awesome invention. It will revolutionize how we play games and it will be a staple in homes across the wor...oh the PS4 is outselling us 4 to 1....fuck the Kinect :P

• Like 1

Whaaaaa but the Kinect is a super cereal awesome invention. It will revolutionize how we play games and it will be a staple in homes across the wor...oh the PS4 is outselling us 4 to 1....fuck the Kinect :P

I wouldn't considering Sony maybe support the move system again lol. Both concepts are horrible and let's just leave it at that.

• Like 1

Here's the Playtonic team talking about the project and their hopes for the studio, about 6 weeks ago:

Notable points -

• The game is happening with or without the Kickstarter, but a successful Kickstarter will help broaden its scope.
  • They are all ex-Rare devs, but this is not a Rare project.
  • They envisage that all the characters in Yooka-Laylee could star in their own games, possibly in varied genres, in the future. They mention the Marvel cinematic universe and that they liked the way characters have their own adventures there.
  • They state that they want to stay true to the core 3D platformer experience, and make reference to Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts as being a detraction from that core (although I loved N&B and thought it was really innovative, but there you go).

Edit: I am really excited about this and will consider making this my first Kickstarter backing when their Kickstarter launches later today.

Edited by StrickenBiged

Just a quick update which some of you have already mentioned. Here's an article on the tremendous success of their Kickstarter campaign (which launched today). They surpassed their goal of $270,000 in less than an hour. In fact, at this moment it's already raised over $1 million in the first day. That's crazy. 

Banjo Kazooie Tribute Blasts Through Kickstarter Target

A game that is bringing back a near dead genre, multi-platform, comes from a team that have connections in the industry and they also believe that true quality comes first before anything. I hope so much success for Playtonic and I would buy a retail copy if they ever make one. 

Well I backed the project :) RARE was such a huge part of my childhood that I happily donated to get this game. I only did the 15 pledge (or 24$ in conversion) but that gets me the digital copy of the game...I guess I need to buy a PS4 before October 2016.

Pretty excited about this :)