Guides that need updating topic

Go to solution Solved by BlindMango,

EDIT: I just need to clarify something, this isn't a case of me not wanting to write a competing guide. I just believe that if we take the best bits from two guides and the creators collaborate we will get a significantly better end result. I mean I think everyone would agree one collaborative guide would be considerably better than having to flick between two different ones. Obviously some people won't want to do this but I can't do anything about that.

OK so I think people have been mentioning this before about guides that need to be updated and such. I'm making this topic so we can draw attention to these. Having everything in one place would be useful if there's unresponsive guide creators or if the guide creator is no longer on the site. I understand I'm a new guy so maybe people didn't want me to PM them, I've only been here a couple of months.

Firstly all the minecraft guides are outdated as the tutorial world was patched, I've made updated videos for the easy trophies in the tutorial world in this topic here, so if the guide team wants to update any guides they are welcome to, or if people want me to write a guide I can do it. I PMed the guy who wrote the PS4 guide version to give him my videos he wasn't intersted (I forgot there was another guide for PS3 version, I'll PM the guide creators, but my videos will work for them to).

I recently made some videos for Heavy Fire: Afghanistan in for my video guide requests topic and the videos can be found here. The person who wrote this guide doesn't seem to be on this site any more, so depending on the guide teams discretion I don't know if they'd like to add them or if I should make a guide myself.

Currently working on stuff for Hohokum here and I'm more than happy for the guide creator to use my videos or I can make a new guide (BTW I haven't PMed him as i haven't finished making videos).

I really love the interface on this site and I'd like this to turn into a site where we have a decent amount of guides.

PS if there's games in my collection that I've yet to play and you've made a guide and want videos for it, as long as its in my capability I wouldn't mind helping you with game footage.

Edited by Superbuu3
  • Like 3

Hey don't worry, i make sure all of my guides are up to date! If there is anything that needs changing, anyone should feel free to message me saying so and what to change.

Glad to hear that man.

I think its inevitable a lot of guides would need updates given the fact games get patched. I thought a topic was a good idea so people could just let people know and not just forget. I'm sure i've looked at a guide previously realised something was outdated, managed to get the trophy another way than forgot to tell anyone about it.

We don't need a thread to list guides that need updating, that's why each guide has its own comments section. The owner of the guide is no longer on the site and can't use feedback? Then make a better guide with their unused feedback, not list what they'll never change on a forum post.

We don't need a thread to list guides that need updating, that's why each guide has its own comments section. The owner of the guide is no longer on the site and can't use feedback? Then make a better guide with their unused feedback, not list what they'll never change on a forum post.

If you make a second guide to change data on one trophy how is that worth the effort? Then on top of that a guide that is newer that has less views and no rating will be considered the crapper guide. Google searches will lead you to the older guide to. Unless old out of date guides are taken down that system would be inefficient.

Also you think people who are capable of making guides are going to go through the 500+ guides on the site to check if one thing is incorrect on to make a new one and then have to check back regularly? The comments section are useful to only reach the guide creator and thats only if they have notifications turned on.

EDIT: Also some system needs to be in place, do you really think guides should stay up if people aren't willing to keep them up to date? Having incorrect information especially for missable trophies will cost people a good 10-20 hours in the worst cases.

Edited by Superbuu3

If you make a second guide to change data on one trophy how is that worth the effort? Then on top of that a guide that is newer that has less views and no rating will be considered the crapper guide. Google searches will lead you to the older guide to. Unless old out of date guides are taken down that system would be inefficient.

Also you think people who are capable of making guides are going to go through the 500+ guides on the site to check if one thing is incorrecton on to make a new one.

Unless you get added as a contributor (which is unlikely considering the owner doesn't visit the site anymore) that's the only road you can take. A guide writer's work is their own, it isn't a community project, and little dots of info cant be added by 100 different people to create the guide. A guide that has an owner that has left the site is as good as locked. No one will edit it, and they shouldn't anyway. Views and ratings are irrelevant. If you make a good guide, people will pay attention, some may compare your guide to the older guide, realise yours is better, and give it a better rating. That's all you can ask for.

If you want to help people without creating your own guide, simply leave tips in the comments section of an already popular one.

Hey don't worry, i make sure all of my guides are up to date!

Yep, same here. 

While this is absolutely true, not every guide writer will receive notifications if it isn't enabled.

Unless you get added as a contributor (which is unlikely considering the owner doesn't visit the site anymore) that's the only road you can take. A guide writer's work is their own, it isn't a community project, and little dots of info cant be added by 100 different people to create the guide. A guide that has an owner that has left the site is as good as locked. No one will edit it, and they shouldn't anyway. Views and ratings are irrelevant. If you make a good guide, people will pay attention, some may compare your guide to the older guide, realise yours is better, and give it a better rating. That's all you can ask for.

If you want to help people without creating your own guide, simply leave tips in the comments section of an already popular one.

If someone is making 100 mistakes on the guide they would fail submission, and in that scenario yes the whole guide would need to be rewritten.

As far as there work can't be editted, sure it can't, but that doesn't mean you information with a source can't be added to amend mistakes. Otherwise if things need to be done your way guides should just be taken down the moment an error is spotted and the creator isn't willing to update it. An inaccurate guide is of no use, you might as well goto a different site. In fact if you keep having inaccurate guides up no one will use guides here.

This is a good idea in theory, but I can't say it's a good idea to harass guide makers into changing something they've completed. They may well have other things to do.

If a guide is so outdated that it's completely incorrect, then a new guide should just be made.

If it's just one thing, just mention it in the comments. Then, if the guide maker has the time, they can add it in. Otherwise, the info is there for people to see when they click over to the comments.

Most sites with guides have the occasional outdated guide, and harassing people will just make people less willing to put in the effort to make a guide in the first place. I mean, I certainly wouldn't want to put forth the effort into making a guide just to be harassed about it down the road.

Please don't make a thread about this, lol - You need to drop a comment in that guide, if they don't respond to the comment then message them, if that doesn't work then message someone from the guide team. There's other cases where you can ask them to jump on their guide as a contributor is there's a lot you need to add to a guide. A thread like this would just dump a lot of unnecessary work & confusion on the guide team where more often than not the guide author will likely respond to you if you contacted them anyway.

We don't want people to go here talking about a guide that needs to be fixed rather than going to the author. If you go here, the author likely won't read it and won't know there's something missing anyway.

@Superbu: You can ask a guide creator to use your video guides, but my guess is that they will more than likely say "no" just because they are fine with the videos/information already up, so try not to bother a guide author about it afterwards if they say no. :P

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 2

This is a good idea in theory, but I can't say it's a good idea to harass guide makers into changing something they've completed. They may well have other things to do.

If a guide is so outdated that it's completely incorrect, then a new guide should just be made.

If it's just one thing, just mention it in the comments. Then, if the guide maker has the time, they can add it in. Otherwise, the info is there for people to see when they click over to the comments.

Most sites with guides have the occasional outdated guide, and harassing people will just make people less willing to put in the effort to make a guide in the first place. I mean, I certainly wouldn't want to put forth the effort into making a guide just to be harassed about it down the road.

Most issues wouldn't be spotted when looking at a guide. So until you try the method, how would you know it doesn't work unless its flagged most often people would assume there execution was wrong.

I think a thread about this would reduce harassment if anything. If you tell everyone to PM the guide writer about the mistakes in there guide they could potentially get hundreds of messages about the same point. If there's a system put in place to flag things then guide writers could do it at there own discretion.

EDIT: we also mentioned guide writers can turn off notifications so comments section is relatively useless.

Please don't make a thread about this, lol - You need to drop a comment in that guide, if they don't respond to the comment then message them, if that doesn't work then message someone from the guide team. There's other cases where you can ask them to jump on their guide as a contributor is there's a lot you need to add to a guide. A thread like this would just dump a lot of unnecessary work & confusion on the guide team where more often than not the guide author will likely respond to you if you contacted them anyway.

We don't want people to go here talking about a guide that needs to be fixed rather than going to the author. If you go here, the author likely won't read it and won't know there's something missing anyway.

@Superbu: You can ask a guide creator to use your video guides, but my guess is that they will more than likely say "no" just because they are fine with the videos/information already up, so try not to bother a guide author about it afterwards if they say no. :P

Oh I understand that I'm talking about out of date info.

Edited by Superbuu3

Most issues wouldn't be spotted when looking at a guide. So until you try the method, how would you know it doesn't work unless its flagged most often people would assume there execution was wrong.

I think a thread about this would reduce harassment if anything. If you tell everyone to PM the guide writer about the mistakes in there guide they could potentially get hundreds of messages about the same point. If there's a system put in place to flag things then guide writers could do it at there own discretion.

If an error is found in a guide, it's mostly likely brought up by someone in the comments, to which it's usually quickly fixed as far as I've seen over the past year, the need to send them a PM is usually more rare and isn't necessary unless they don't respond to guide comments, which is also rare unless it's an older guide. This thread would be overwhelming and would be something I feel would not be logical for me (and guide authors) in keeping up with a bunch of random chatter about all sorts of random guide-related things to sift through things that actually matter that could have just been posted in the guide comments area anyway.

Edited by BlindMango

If an error is found in a guide, it's mostly likely brought up by someone in the comments, to which it's usually quickly fixed as far as I've seen over the past year, the need to send them a PM is usually more rare and isn't necessary unless they don't respond to guide comments, which is also rare unless it's an older guide. This thread would be overwhelming and would be something I feel would not be logical for me (and guide authors) in keeping up with a bunch of random chatter about all sorts of random guide-related things to sift through things that actually matter that could have just been posted in the guide comments area anyway.

I don't see how comment sections are a solution if notificiations can be turned off. Ideally it would be but in this situation there just seems to be a bunch red tape that essentially says well if they make mistakes tough you should do your research.

EDIT: I just need to clarify something, this isn't a case of me not wanting to write a competing guide. I just believe that if we take the best bits from two guides and the creators collaborate we will get a significantly better end result. I mean I think everyone would agree one collaborative guide would be considerably better than having to flick between two different ones. Obviously some people won't want to do this but I can't do anything about that.

Edited by Superbuu3

I don't see how comment sections are a solution if notificiations can be turned off. Ideally it would be but in this situation there just seems to be a bunch red tape that essentially says well if they make mistakes tough you should do your research.

And what's your solution? Make a thread on the forums many guide writers may not visit?

Changing the area won't help, the point is if a guide has out of date information and isn't updated it shouldn't be highly rated among the community. If it's not highly rated among the community, that leaves a space for a better guide to rise.

You don't have to PM or force your videos onto creators, merely using the comments section to point out what is outdated and what the correct information is enough. That way it's still part of the guide, it allows users to check the convienient comment section for updated information, and it can be done without the author's presence. Who cares if the authors don't get notified of the comment, ep what matters is its there for everyone to see. That's why this thread isn't needed.

Who cares if the authors don't get notified of the comment, ep what matters is its there for everyone to see. That's why this thread isn't needed.

To add to this, if a guide author hasn't enabled comment notifications for their guides then you should message them if you're sure they haven't seem the comment after a number of days. The author should fix the guide and a reader shouldn't have to go in the comments to see updated info either for the rest of the guides existence.

Basically though, there's a lot of quicker and less chaotic steps of getting things fixed than having a thread like this. I'm not trying to trash Superbuu or anything, just outlining it all as to why having this sort of thing wouldn't be as efficient for guide writers  ;)

Edited by BlindMango

To add to this, if a guide author hasn't enabled comment notifications for their guides then you should message them if you're sure they haven't seem the comment after a number of days. The author should fix the guide and a reader shouldn't have to go in the comments to see updated info either.

Basically though, there's a lot of quicker and less chaotic steps of getting things fixed than having a thread like this ;)

No one answered my question in my first post, should I make a guide for Heavy Fire then? The guide author isn't around.

Also I know people are saying there's no point for this topic but some pretty important info has come up. Seeing as Saltyie wasn't aware guide authors can turn off notifications for comments and i'm sure a lot of people who haven't written guides didn't know that.

Also i mentioned Hohokum in the first post, what is the system on the site for that, the guide writers info is correct, if he's still active do i contact him or make a seperate guide. What is the correct method to deal with this? I mainly have to ask as I don't suddenly want to get warning points for harrassment.

I think it would be nice if there were a set of guidelines for this kind of thing so people know they haven't broken some kind of unspoken rule.

EDIT: I'm aware his might be pedantic, but I've seen how people seem to be lost over a lot of these things and I think its nice if we know what we should be doing.

Edited by Superbuu3

No one answered my question in my first post, should I make a guide for Heavy Fire then? The guide author isn't around.

Also I know people are saying there's no point for this topic but some pretty important info has come up. Seeing as Saltyie wasn't aware guide authors can turn off notifications for comments and i'm sure a lot of people who haven't written guides didn't know that.

Also i mentioned Hohokum in the first post, what is the system on the site for that, the guide writers info is correct, if he's still active do i contact him or make a seperate guide. What is the correct method to deal with this? I mainly have to ask as I don't suddenly want to get warning points for harrassment.

I think it would be nice if there were a set of guidelines for this kind of thing so people know they haven't broken some kind of unspoken rule.

EDIT: I'm aware his might be pedantic, but I've seen how people seem to be lost over a lot of these things and I think its nice if we know what we should be doing.

You can create a new guide even if the current guide is perfectly accurate. If you find a lot of errors in another guide and create a newer, more accurate guide, yours will be higher rated and people can follow it. If I were looking looking at a game's guide page and there were more than one guide for the same part, I would likely look at both guides and check to see if they say the same thing. If they didn't I'd look at the comments. If one has a lot of comments that say that the guide isn't accurate anymore and the other one doesn't, I'd probably try the guide that doesn't have the unaddressed negative comments first.

• Solution

If you think you can make a better Heavy Fire guide than the one that's published now, then go for it! ;)

As far as the Hohokum guide, you can message that person and ask them nicely if they wanted to add your videos to their guide. If they say no or see the message but don't respond, that likely just means they don't want to do it, so you shouldn't bother them much about that kind of thing much beyond that point. Additionally, for guides, embedded videos are ultimately up to the author as to what they want to choose for their guide, so asking someone to replace an existing video that's fine with one of yours may just annoy some guide writers (not wanting to have to spend half an hour replacing embeds, changing credit lines, rewording description stuff, etc... for videos that say the same thing), lol. Ultimately the best way to get your videos out there is to make those forum posts you've been doing, keep your YouTube channel going, and make guides like you did with Tower of Guns. Try not to bother guide writers about it unless absolutely necessary (like the previously out-of-date Minecraft videos).

Also, I agree there should probably be some sort of extra things that can be done to notify people about stuff like that. We already have text at the top of a persons guide comments page about changing their notifications but the whole thing about dropping a comment, then sending a PM, then just contacting a guide team member just seems like something someone would naturally do (and people have mostly done that over the past year).

Edited by BlindMango

If you think you can make a better Heavy Fire guide than the one that's published now, then go for it! ;)

As far as the Hohokum guide, you can message that person and ask them nicely if they wanted to add your videos to their guide. If they say no or see the message but don't respond, that likely just means they don't want to do it, so you shouldn't bother them much about that kind of thing much beyond that point. Additionally, for guides, embedded videos are ultimately up to the author as to what they want to choose for their guide, so asking someone to replace an existing video that's fine with one of yours may just annoy some guide writers (not wanting to have to spend half an hour replacing embeds, changing credit lines, rewording description stuff, etc... for videos that say the same thing), lol. Ultimately the best way to get your videos out there is to make those forum posts you've been doing, keep your YouTube channel going, and make guides like you did with Tower of Guns. Try not to bother guide writers about it unless absolutely necessary (like the previously out-of-date Minecraft videos).

Also, I agree there should probably be some sort of extra things that can be done to notify people about stuff like that. We already have text at the top of a persons guide comments page about changing their notifications but the whole thing about dropping a comment, then sending a PM, then just contacting a guide team member just seems like something someone would naturally do (and people have mostly done that over the past year).

Thanks for taking the time for clearing that up. I'm fine with writing guides, I just don't like putting in wasted effort lol. That clarifies everything for me. I'll PM the Hohokum creator if he doesn't like them I can just make a guide.

I'll write a heavy fire guide this weekend on that note.

You can lock this now, all information i needed is clarified and no one else seemed really bothered lol.

Edited by Superbuu3