ShadowGandalfs Tales of Symphonia Progress Diary

Tales-of-Symphonia.jpg

Introduction

I've had Tales of Symponia for a few months now, but then lost my job. I decided not to play until I was working again. I kept the game as an incentive, a reward to look forward to for getting a new job. Well, that time has come. I have a new job, and true to my word, didn't even unwrap the game. Until today. The adventure starts here.

Sorry to hear about you losing your job, but glad you found a new one. Good luck with this project (great idea by the way)

Update #2

Well, I've played a bit more into the story. If you've never played this game either, then watch out for spoilers from here on out.

Still reading? Then you either already know the story or don't care. So what's happened? Lloyd and Genis went to the Human Ranch and we saved Marbel from a beating. The Desians have retaliated against the village and now Lloyd and Genis have been exiled. We must catch up with Collette and help her in her task.

I still struggle a bit with combat. I know the controls... but not the strategies. Also, a couple of times, Lloyd has started glowing with some kind of Overdrive thingy... I dunno what triggers it, or what it does. Also, at one point I somehow used a powerful forward thrust (I forget the exact name) but I've never been able to do it again. Can anyone offer some tips? Or will the game explain these things at a later point? (The instruction manual is no help)

Edited by ShadowGandalf

Update #3

Progressed a bit further now. Found the Desert Town, got captured, met with Collette and the others, escaped, and have rested. What's next? I dunno yet. I'm started to get a bit more used to combat. I've figured out how to use abilities which is helping... I gotta remember to block too. There's still lots to learn, and a long journey ahead...

• 3 months later...

I like the idea of this thread  :) . How is your progress? I am on my first playthrough and got 17 trophies so far:  :bronze: Universal Knight,  :bronze: Tottering Chosen,  :bronze: Ball and Stick Apprentice,  :bronze: Raine the Healer,  :bronze: Tenfold Summoner,  :bronze: Zelos Impact,  :bronze: 10 Presea,  :bronze: Regal Weapon,  :bronze: Cleared Sylvarant,  :bronze: Cleared Tethe'alla,  :bronze: First-Time Cooking,  :bronze: Finality,   :bronze: Unison Attacker,   :bronze: Blacksmith's Hours,   :bronze: Celebrate 100!,  :bronze: Celebrate 1000!,  :bronze: Love me Tender. I just cleared the Tower of Salvation once more and must go to Heimdall now. In the Flanoir doctor scene  I chose Colette (highest affection party members: Colette, Genis, Sheena). What I still want to get on this playthrough are the following trophies: :bronze: Cleared Derris-Kharlan,  :bronze: Sword Dancer Slayer,  :bronze: 100 Hours,  :silver: Abyssion Buster,  :silver: 100 Idol,  :silver: Million Dollars. I save the coliseum stuff for later playthroughs when I am overleveled with 10x XP :D.

As for the grinding titles I got Dog Lover in this playthrough. I invested some money in rebuilding Luin to the point where the dog appears. I will fully restore the city in this playthrough because I also want to get Zelos' Gigolo title. I hope I get Sheenas treasure title too. I also did some of the sidequests to obtain key items and titles, Red Light/Green Light and the Uncle game beeing the most annoying. I also got the Eternal apprentice title for Lloyd but I messed up with the "no gels" and "no death" titles. I need to do these in my 2nd and 3rd playthrough. Right now, I am a bit concerned about GRADE. I know I will get extra 1000 just for finishing the game once. But the titles option alone costs 1000 and I also want to get x2 XP and More GRADE options which cost 1100 in total... I only have like 400 GRADE now, but I'll figure out if is worth it to grind GRADE (probably not...).

P.S.: How do you post Trophies in a forum thread like you did in your first post? Could not find anything in the forum help threads...

*EDIT: Thank you, I found it!*

Edited by AiKmAn_MZ

I like the idea of this thread  :) . How is your progress? I am on my first playthrough and got 17 trophies so far: All the 10-titles trophies, Celebrate 100/1000, all first timer trophies (cooking, unison, customization, mystic arte) and 2 of the story related trophies (Cleared Sylvarant, Cleared Teth'ealla). I just cleared the Tower of Salvation once more and must go to Heimdall now. In the Flanoir doctor scene  I chose Colette (highest affection party members: Colette, Genis, Sheena). What I still want to get on this playthrough is the Sword Dancer trophy (beat him twice so far), 100 Idol and Million Dollars, 100 hours playtime and possibly Abyssion Buster (collected all the Devil's Arms) though I think I have to beat him again in later playthroughs to activate the Devil's Arms again. I save the coliseum stuff for later playthroughs when I am overleveled with 10x XP :D.

As for the grinding titles I got Dog Lover in this playthrough. I invested some money in rebuilding Luin to the point where the dog appears. I will fully restore the city in this playthrough because I also want to get Zelos' Gigolo title. I hope I get Sheenas treasure title too. I also did some of the sidequests to obtain key items and titles, Red Light/Green Light and the Uncle game beeing the most annoying. I also got the Eternal apprentice title for Lloyd but I messed up with the "no gels" and "no death" titles. I need to do these in my 2nd playthrough. Right now, I am a bit concerned about GRADE. I know I will get extra 1000 just for finishing the game once. But the titles option alone costs 1000 and I also want to get x2 XP and More Grade options which costs 1100 in total... Right now I have like 400 GRADE... Next playthrough I will pick Zelos during the Flanoir doctor scene I think...

P.S.: How do you post Trophies in a forum thread like you did in your first post? Could not find anything in the forum help threads...

I haven't progressed any farther than my last update. I stopped playing for a few reasons. Minor reason, I got stuck, but more major reasons, job issues, now in full time work with not much free time, and free time I DO have being on MGSV and other games. I intend to resume or start fresh at some point, just don't know when. With Uncharted trilogy and Just Cause 3 around the corner it may be a while.

You can find trophy icons under the smilies when you type a response. Just click the smiley icon and cycle through. The text is just typed out, bolded and colour changed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If I remember rightly you're right about it being really light on tutorials.

I don't think the game ever covers the Strike or Technical combat types or how to change them.

You can get through the game perfectly fine without knowing but if you want to know I recommend looking for a guide on it since I can't really remember how it works either.

• 1 month later...

As far as I am concerned I began my second playthrough and got a lot of the items for the item book I missed on the first one (customized and buyable equipment, Pink Pearl Ring, ...). I also got the "Friendship First" title for Colette. I did not manage to get "I hate gels" for Genis despite 2x XP. I will do that in my 3rd playthrough with 10x XP. I will also do Niflheim and Coliseum in my 3rd run (for the Monster Book). So far, my highest affinity characters are Zelos, Colette and Raine. After the Flanoir doctor scene I want Zelos and Raine in the first 2 spots as they are both missing their swimsuit titles beside Sheena who I choose freely as 3rd character this time, then only Regal is missing it. He will get it in 3rd or 4th playthrough. I will also get the "Dinner Party" title for the remaining 4 characters in this playthrough. At least I remember that you can choose 4 party members for it (if not there are 2 more opportunitys...). Also I aim for the Chosen Orb you get from Zelos after the doctor scene in Flanoir. I just unlocked the ability to change freely between both worlds which means I am pretty close to the Flanoir events. I only have to kick out Colette from second spot of affinity ranking. She is 80 points ahead of Raine and 220 points behind Zelos. Should be manageable with the next few decisions. 

In the 3rd playthrough I will go for Kratos in Flanoir and bring every character including him to Lv. 100 which should be easy with 10x XP. I've got all the cooking titles except for Kratos. He has mastered 14 of the 24 meals so far, I will carry this data over and also finish it in 3rd playthrough. In my 4th playthrough I need to build up high affinity to Genis and Regal in order to get the last titles for them and Presea. I will pick Genis in Flanoir, reload and pick Regal then to finish all the titles. Then I will also aim for Lloyds "Gung Ho" title, the hardest in my opinion... Any tips how to get this one? I thought of killing of Genis at the beginning and going with a party of three (Lloyd, Kratos/Zelos, Raine) with normal experience??? 

P.S.: I play too much Xbox 360, really need to concentrate more on these PS3 exclusive RPGs :)

Edited by AiKmAn_MZ