Persona 4 and the Vita: a blog post and a question

Zenpai

Well, I rarely see a game get as much praise as Persona 4. First, a personal friend of mine recommended it to me. Knowing I was a big anime fan, he described it as "Anime: The Game" and told me I would definitely love it, especially since I already liked one of Atlus' other games, Catherine. But since he doesn't watch that much anime himself, I thought he was just exaggerating and didn't pay him much attention.

Then, when I came to the site more often, I saw a lot of people, namely on the Vita community, treating the game like it was a godsend. But I still didn't pay it too much mind.

Afterwards, I discovered the Extra Credits YouTube channel (through a member of the site). I fell more in love with it the more videos I saw. Eventually, I reached the "Sexual Diversity" episode, where they used Kanji as an example and wholeheartedly recommended the game. Given that the I share a number of common gaming interests with the members of EC, maybe it was time to give in to all of the hype and finally give the game a go. I knew beforehand Golden had come out since, but seeing as I don't have a Vita, I settled for the original PS2 version.

I hadn't even finished the game and I was already thinking: "Why, oh why didn't I try this sooner?" The game is just bloody amazing. I haven't had this much fun with a JRPG since I played Pokémon Red, back in 1999! (Granted, I don't play all that many JRPGs, but still).

Now, as you can see by the topic, this is both a blog post and a question. The blog post part is done, as for the question...

Do you consider Persona 4 Golden to be worth it even if you've already played the original? Especially considering I don't even have a Vita?

I don't usually get remasters or new/definitive editions of games I already own. The changes aren't usually worth paying for what is essentially the same game. But from what I can see, Golden improves on the original on every level:

1. 2 new Social Links + New personas to go with the new arcanas
  2. New bonus dungeon
  3. An extra in-game month/month and a half
  4. Accomplice Ending
  5. Golden Epilogue
  6. Higher quality environments for some scenes
  7. Costumes
  8. More small story events throughout (Halloween, trip to the beach, etc)
  9. Skill cards
  10. Ability to choose which skills are inherited during fusion
  11. Redone shuffle time
  12. Marie, which even appears in Arena, Q, and Dancing All Night.

This isn't your usual remake, is it? I mean... when a game that was already that good gets this many improvements... the result can be nothing short of spectacular, right?

I've been playing less and less on my portables over the years, but I still play them every now and then. And from what I've seen on the Internet, even though the Vita is a bit lacking in exclusives, there's quite a good portion of ports comparable to the PS3 versions, with the advantage that you can play them on the go. And there's quite a number of exclusive JRPGs on the system - who knows, maybe I could even find a new (not-so-)hidden gem. (Not to mention Dancing All Night is also coming, so ...).

And in case you do recommend getting Golden, should I get the Vita or a Playstation TV? As I've told you before, I don't play all that much on my portables these days, and the TV is 75% cheaper than a Vita... but it doesn't play every game, the compatibility can be a bit iffy, and some of the games look a bit pixelated when played on an HDTV (not to mention the obvious lack of portability).

So, what do you guys suggest? Should I get Golden? And if so, should I go with the Vita or the TV?

Edited by jrdemr

I do recommend Golden as some of its changes are noticeable. Even so, it's still a port and you already played he Ps2 ver..

I don't have a playstation Tv so I can't say it looks awesome, but if you're planning to get a Vita, don't do it just because of one safe bet (Persona 4 Golden). It's risky and possibly a waste of money.

When someone is planning to buy a console or handle, he/she must find its catalog (or a good part of it) appealing.

Check out the Vita catalog, critics and reviews. You said you don't play many JRPGs, then you have more reasons to do it.

As of now, it looks safer betting on Ps TV as you state you don't even play on handles that much today.

• Like 1

I can't speak for P4G as I haven't played it yet, but if you end up getting a Vita/ Vita TV, choose the Vita. I think it looks better than the Vita TV because it's the same relative size as the TV screen since it's closer to you. A 60 inch TV screen that's 15 feet away is relatively the same size as the Vita screen that's 2 feet away from your face. It also doesn't look that much better on the bigger screen anyway. And then there's the case any games that use the touch screen being unplayable on the Vita TV like Gravity Rush which is also a must play Vita exclusive game.

• Like 2

Persona 4 Golden is still on my "to play" list, but if you have the available cash, I really recommend the Vita. 

You don't play many portable games now, but that could change. Even if you're used to playing on the couch at home, there's no reason you couldn't do that with a Vita. 

The Vita is compatible with the whole Vita library. The VitaTV is not. There are plenty of worthy games there that you wouldn't be able to play without the Vita.

Access to another set of PS+ games each month when you have a Vita (although a lot these days are x-buy). 

If you eventually get a PS4, you can use RemotePlay with the Vita. You'd need another TV to do the same with the VitaTV.

• Like 2

Persona 4 Golden is still on my "to play" list, but if you have the available cash, I really recommend the Vita. 

You don't play many portable games now, but that could change. Even if you're used to playing on the couch at home, there's no reason you couldn't do that with a Vita. 

True. I bought most of my systems wanting just one or two games at the beginning and always ended up getting a lot more, especially on my portables. And since the Vita has a lot of PS3 ports, I could just grab one when a vacation's looming.

And I don't think Sony will be releasing a new portable anytime soon, so the Vita's assured at least some longevity.

P4G isn't the only JRPG on the Vita. Or the only Vita game worth getting.

There are other JRPGs;

Tales of Hearts R

FFX/X2 HD Remaster

Sorcery Saga

And other games;

Tearaway

Gravity Rush

That is just a few though.

Also note that you can connect to the PS3 and PS4 through the Vita and see the screen from that on the console...

• Like 1

P4G isn't the only JRPG on the Vita. Or the only Vita game worth getting.

There are other JRPGs;

Tales of Hearts R

FFX/X2 HD Remaster

Sorcery Saga

And other games;

Tearaway

Gravity Rush

That is just a few though.

Also note that you can connect to the PS3 and PS4 through the Vita and see the screen from that on the console...

There are only about 20 PS3 games that can be played through the Vita.

Edited by kuuhaku

I can absolutely say that even if you've played the PS2 version, yes, you should get P4G, as that's what I did. I found P4G to be a hell of a lot better than the original in some aspects, but weak in others, but those are personal things I found, so it'll be different for you. As for getting a Vita or Vita TV, I say the Vita TV as it's a cheaper alternative, and you did say you don't play a lot of portable games. Even with the limited library, it still plays some of the best games, and the PSTV actually does an amazing job of scaling the games, there is no pixelation from what I've played, and the games look gorgeous on a TV.

• Like 1

There are only about 20 PS3 games that can be played through the Vita.

I said you can see the PS3 and PS4 through the Vita xD. Not about the games.

Plus, what about PS2 games that are on PS3? Is that doable?

I said you can see the PS3 and PS4 through the Vita xD. Not about the games.

Plus, what about PS2 games that are on PS3? Is that doable?

I'm not 100% sure about PS2 games, but every PS1 game is doable. Some of the PS2 games don't even play correctly on the PS3 alone, so I'm not sure about with the Vita. I never had the big fat one and I haven't bought any digital PS2 games, so I can't comment personally.

Thanks for all of your suggestions, guys! Rarely do I find a community as helpful as this one. I was inclined to do it anyway, but after seeing your suggestions, now I'm definitely getting Golden and a Vita. My local electronics store even has a small discount going on right now, so it's now or never!

Thanks for all of your suggestions, guys! Rarely do I find a community as helpful as this one. I was inclined to do it anyway, but after seeing your suggestions, now I'm definitely getting Golden and a Vita. My local electronics store even has a small discount going on right now, so it's now or never!

Depending on how many digital games you have, you might want to consider getting a 32GB or importing a 64GB card. If you don't want to do that, you can get by alright with an 8GB card if you use your PS3 or PC as a backup. You can go to the content manager app on the Vita and move any games that you don't want to play at the moment to your PS3 or Computer and it will take a lot less time to get them back since you don't need to redownload the games from PSN. That's what I did before I upgraded to a 64GB card.

• Like 1

Well, I'm not going to explain why you should get P4G, because I would repeat what others said..

Said that I would suggest you to get Persona 3 Portable too, because it is awesome (I personally enjoyed more P3 then P4 story, but it was mainly because of the mood and ambient of the game, P3 is a much darker theme overall).

Also, Mind Zero gives a similar vibe to Persona, so I would also suggest you to try this.

• Like 1

Depending on how many digital games you have, you might want to consider getting a 32GB or importing a 64GB card. If you don't want to do that, you can get by alright with an 8GB card if you use your PS3 or PC as a backup. You can go to the content manager app on the Vita and move any games that you don't want to play at the moment to your PS3 or Computer and it will take a lot less time to get them back since you don't need to redownload the games from PSN. That's what I did before I upgraded to a 64GB card.

I avoid getting digital games as much as possible, so I should be fine with just the 8GB card, especially if you can use the PC as backup, but thanks for the info.

Well, I'm not going to explain why you should get P4G, because I would repeat what others said..

Said that I would suggest you to get Persona 3 Portable too, because it is awesome (I personally enjoyed more P3 then P4 story, but it was mainly because of the mood and ambient of the game, P3 is a much darker theme overall).

Given that Persona 3 characters also appear on nearly all of Persona 4's sequels, I already ordered it. Though I did order FES instead of P3P. I researched a lot of the differences between the two and though P3P implements a lot of the new combat features of P4, I seriously disliked the fact that technically, P3P is inferior to the PS2 version. Not to mention FES has extra content, so...

I had to get it used and it still cost me 3 times more than P3P, but I think it'll be worth it.

Personally I got all 3 P3 (original, FES and P3P), but didn't played much P3P because I didn't played much on my PSP at all... but I remember that the main addiction in P3P over FES was the choice of a female protagonist and all the implications it lead with the social (romance) links.

FES is really awesome, even tough I think the extra chapter is a bit underwhelming (do note that this is coming from someone who played the original P3 first).

Also 1 thing lost from the original P3 to the later games was the in P3 you had no direct control over your allies actions (I don't remember if FES still forces this, in P4 this is optional), that made P3 much harder and at the same time gave a bigger feeling of team work and trusting your team mates to make the right moves, in P4 you could just put them in manual and avoid them doing stupid things..

And I know what you mean by them being expensive.. I only started to look for RPGs outside of FF after FFXII and was extremely lucky to be able to find Digital Devil Daga 1 and 2, Lucifer's Call, Devil Summoner, Dark Cloud, Dark Chronicles, Shadow Hearts Covenant and all 3 Atelier Iris, most of them used and all at 30-35€.. and this was long ago, now it should be even harder to find! But at least now we can easily get most of those digitally for PS3, but still having the retail copies it's still much nicer!

• Like 1