Corrupted Game Data?

Parker

I was deleting game data for games I really don't play much anymore to make room on my HDD for the 12 PS+ games and I stumbled across an issue. I tried to delete the Resistance 3 game data and it wouldn't do it. I left it be for over an hour and it just said "deleting..." and would not progress so I turned my console off. When I turned it back on I wasn't greeted with the message that states it was turned off improperly (though when it shut off it gave me the three angry beeps) and everything booted normally. However the Resistance data now says corrupt data. Is there any way to delete this (I haven't tried to just delete it as I don't want to waste another hour) and has this happened to anyone else?

Edit: And to be completely clear I'm talking about the actual game data, not the save data.

Parker

Something like this happened with my savedata from Back To The Future episode 2. I tried to delete it and my ps3 was stuck on the deleting screen for quite some time. After shutting down the console (also with the angry beeps) it booted normally and deleting the file went smooth.

Maybe if you try again after each time you shut down the ps3 it will eventually delete as normal?

If you're refering to now trying to delete the corrupt data file, I'm still confused about that too. I had one of those for before. For months it refused to let me delete it, but I'd try once a month or so and eventually it worked. Mine was only a few MB so it didn't take too long to tell if it was going to work though.

Perhaps making the PS3 shut down to the effect it does that system reboot would make it possible to delete the data?

I had the same issue with Burnout Paradise after a power cut. everytime I tried to delete the corrupted data it would just fail. I think its a 50/50 shot at this stage Parker. Maybe wait till you've finished your gaming tonight and attempt to delete it at that point, leaving it to its devices.

Of course, there is always the drastic measure of formatting the hdd.

you should be able to delete it normally. sometimes stuff like that freezes, and you can normaly delete it on your second try. that worked for me on the psp, at least. BUT if that still doesnt work, try turning the Resistance 3 on, and you will get a message saying its corrupted and will take you to the XMB (know from personal experience with medal of honor, which would never work for me :( ). you should be able to delete it normally then.

I've read a couple different places that Resistance 3 is known for this. Supposedly it takes 1 1/2 to 2 hours delete. I agree that eventually it will let you delete, just keep trying as I've had the same issue with a couple other games.

My experience of deleting things on the PS3 heavily implies that it's not the size of everything, it's the number of constituent files that makes it up - if there's just one entry on the PS3 file system, even if it's 10GB, it'll delete wonderfully quickly, but if there's loads, it'll take ages. My guess is that Resistance 3 just makes a ton of small files on the hard drive and Sony didn't anticipate the scenario of loads of files being removed very quickly so they let the operation be inefficient for whatever reason (possibly to improve access speeds when reading).

I noticed that when I was deleting something one time, think it was a game. It was taking longer than usual to delete, so I just left it on the screen, and eventually it just deleted on its own. I don't think it was large enough to take that long normally.

Damn, that sucks to hear Torment. I haven't tried anything yet as I've just been downloading the PS+ games. I'll report back within the next few days though.

Parker

I actually just tried deleting it again. I let it go for a few hours and it was deleted when I got back. Very strange it took so long. I know I had left it overnight once before and it didn't work that time. I hope you find success with getting rid of it too :)

I actually just tried deleting it again. I let it go for a few hours and it was deleted when I got back. Very strange it took so long. I know I had left it overnight once before and it didn't work that time. I hope you find success with getting rid of it too :)

Good to know. Once I finish downloading this batch of games I'll try that and hope it works.

Parker