Definition of Hacking

Sir_Bee

I understand the subjectiveness of difficulty. I also understand the subjectiveness of fun. What I don't understand is how any game no matter how "easy" it is could even be considered close to hacking, no matter the definitions that have been stated.

You make the statement "probably didn't enjoy" making the assumption that people only enjoy playing hard games and this is simply not true.

The truth is if the PS3 offered only hard games, then there would be considerably less people playing. People like different games and just because you deem a game easy doesn't make it easy for everyone.

This thread does not even touch on game difficulty and the subjective psychological challenges that games present many people.

hacking=playing easy games?? or one step from?

I for one like easy games. I like hard games too, but what is easy and hard for me is not the same as it is for you, nor is what is enjoyable or not, so generalized statements of "easy games one step from hacking" and "probably not enjoyable" is insulting to those of us who actually do enjoy getting the platinum on games you don't enjoy.

Purely my opinion. Your points are all valid and there's a thousand more too. I was just bringing it up since so many people like to define what's cheating/hacking etc. that it's all gray and opinions vary greatly. Just note I said "probably", meaning I don't slap every person who has those platinums as cheating/whatever. Just another way players can distinguish themselves. Like, one who waits al 11 months for the trophy originally mentioned and one that has no qualms changing the date.

No matter how you play someone will find your tactics cheap, but if you're having fun who cares, right? If you loved playing Megamind and other for a younger audience game, thumbs up and play on! Just wanted to throw that out to point out many ways people can be perceived to "boost" a score. Unless some people are fighting for #1 rank on a leaderboard it shouldn't matter how someone plays most of the time. And if I offended anyone who plays the "easier games" (you're right, that's purely subjective), that wasn't the intention. But at the same time if you enjoyed the games the statement didn't relate to you in the first place. If was refering to playing a game that you don't enjoy but is quick and easy to play just to get a thousand trophies in under an hour. Megamind is just a cliche easy platinum so I threw it out there. It takes the same amount of effort to earn probably as using a program to hack a crazy hard game's platinum for the same points. Guess this was more a tangent thought on boosting rather than hacking, but yeah, that's my opinion.

I would say this is more of an exploit rather than a hack. Exploiting certain factors within gaming parameters including helpful glitches occur frequently and I would not consider this hacking of any type as you are still working within the parameters of the game.

Hacking to me is when you use a save file that you did not create to gain trophies or using some type of hacking system to change the coding of a game.

I would agree with this.

exploits and glitches are almost a common place in games now a days.

I would class the save file a hack if you yourself didn't play and earn said file.

using any external means to make trophy pop I would consider a hack.

Edited by BDKSimba

The argument against that is, changing the dates on your PS3 is not within the game.

I suppose. The only difference between this and something like cheating using other people's saves or custom firmware is that dates and times in no way affect skill, so changing times won't (in situations such as UT3, LBP2, My Aquarium etc.) affect the skill barrier, whereas it's fairly obvious that not actually performing the tasks the game asks you to by loading a save you didn't make does affect the skill barrier for earning the trophy.

In certain circumstances such as playing with dates, you have to hang the rules. They're more like guidelines anyway. :P

Personally. i don't have any problem with Boosting for trophies. Especially with the games that nobody plays anymore. The grinding is still pretty bad with those time consuming games so i wouldn't consider it cheating unless you were trying to get up the ranks or something. That's just my two cents tho.

• Like 1

Hacking would be utilising an outside device to alter gameplay or earn trophies/ranks wrongfully, changing the date doesn't fall into that catergory and to be fair I'd think altering the date shouldn't due to some people's inability to play at certain times or days for instance. I'd also like to note that changing the PS3's date wouldn't count since it isn't an outside device unlike a gameshark, explorer, an altered save file or something else I might've missed.

Boosting for trophies I also have nothing against if people do it as usually once they have the trophies they'll move on or they'll stick to player matches so altering the leaderboard is a moot point there and then you also have games with dead online which force this so really it doesn't harm anyone.

As for small exploits and glitches they're bound to happen some will be stumbled upon by accident while others are found and the information spreads like wildfire, nothing you can do to stop that as long as they're single player only I don't see the harm.

Honestly I don't see any harm in any of it. If it is what you want to do to get ahead in a game, then so be it.

I personally don't like the idea of hacking as in using a save file or outside device, but that's just me. I don't hack my games if that were considered the definition.

I know I have personally obtained all 143 platinums in my collection by playing the games and meeting the objectives. Some trophies glitch in bad ways and you have to replay certain parts over again in order to get the platinum.

Sometimes you get a good glitch and you get a trophy before the requirements are met in some way.

I have played enough and had it all happen enough that I feel like it balances itself out, though I have encountered more bad glitches than good ones.

Overall, I just have fun and to me playing games in general is fun, getting trophies is fun. even those trophies that took me 100 hours+ to get. Those were fun too after I got them hehe.

You can put any definition to hacking you want, and if changing the date to acquire a trophy falls in that range, then that's cool. I don't look at it as hacking but I can see where other people would think so.

• Like 1

I disagree. I earned those trophies on Madden fair and square. I was playing the game, and I was player 1. I earned the trophy IMO regardless. It is not my fault the trophies on Madden work that way. Hell, I can go back and redo everything with two controllers. The part where I had him not tackle me is not boosting as I could have done the exact same thing with a second controller as I did with Madden 11. I am completely legit, as I never have cheated/boosted nor ever will.

I can't tell if you are getting upset with me, or just passionate in your trophies. My intention was never to upset you, all I am doing is pointing out what I see.

My next question to you is, What is boosting to you? Because in this post you state "I could have done the exact same thing with a second controller as I did with Madden 11". What that says to me is that in Madden 11, you took a second controller so that the other team had nobody to control it, and then played your game. To me, that is exactly what 'boosting' is. If I am mistaken in my impression of what you did, please let me know. If not, I am curious why you think that would not be boosting. Rather then play enough games so that you get good enough and actually earn your kickoff touchdown, you take the short rout and make the other team unmanned.

Again, I am not trying to belittle you, I am genuinely curious how you look at 'boosting', as I don't understand.

Edited by Sir_Bee

I can't tell if you are getting upset with me, or just passionate in your trophies. My intention was never to upset you, all I am doing is pointing out what I see.

My next question to you is, What is boosting to you? Because in this post you state "I could have done the exact same thing with a second controller as I did with Madden 11". What that says to me is that in Madden 11, you took a second controller so that the other team had nobody to control it, and then played your game. To me, that is exactly what 'boosting' is. If I am mistaken in my impression of what you did, please let me know. If not, I am curious why you think that would not be boosting. Rather then play enough games so that you get good enough and actually earn your kickoff touchdown, you take the short rout and make the other team unmanned.

Again, I am not trying to belittle you, I am genuinely curious how you look at 'boosting', as I don't understand.

To be honest, I was getting a tad bit annoyed, and also I probably am a little passionate about my 100% Legitness. lol :awesome: Um, I do not consider boosting as using two controllers whatsoever. My definition of boosting has to do with multiplayer games where you have to complete X challenge whether that be regarding kills or wins etc. that takes alot of time or skill to accomplish. For instance people boost all the kills for different equipment and vehicles in Homefront......I did those all legit. In Resistance 2 people boost the 10,000 kills as there are not too many people playing anymore. I have been playing legit and am 1/10 of the way there. Basically I play the game the way it is supposed to be played in mp. If it is an offline game that really does not matter to me as I am the one getting the trophy and nobody else is. The Madden Arcade trophies are a fine line, but I am going to redo the goals by myself with 2 controllers so in my mind it is 110% Legit. I hope this all makes sense. :) One last thing, in games like Star Wars The Force Unleashed, I have not decided yet whether or not I will use "cheat codes" to help get the game done on the hardest difficulty as the developers obviously placed it in the game and purposely did not have them effect the trophies. What do you personally think about that particular instance regarding Star Wars?

Edited by DanielVT