Ugh Hating this game

Nutrageous69

So far I've seen luck being much more a factor in success than skill except on a few levels. For example you can start a level and the first note is right next to for <1 seconds of movement, then next time you start the level it could be across the screen for ~2-4 seconds. When you only have ~30 for most levels, even the starting amount of time can mean win or lose.

I know skill still has a huge impact on beating a level, but I can't see how it is the only factor. Without the luck I don't see how you can beat any of the levels consistently.

I've played and plat'ed this "game". This wasn't fun in the least. The only reason I beat it was my OCD because I was pulling my hair out the whole time. I hate luck based gaming because the only luck I have is bad.

Please don't compare Sound Shapes to Guacamelee. Guacamelee was frustrating at parts but it was skill based, which makes it much more fun. One of my prouder Platinums since I don't play many platformers and I enjoyed it.

Do I have to use the same video twice in the same thread?

No, because it's not a personal opinion. You just had fun while checking your luck. You can send this video 3rd time.

Of course you maybe wanted to say that you have fun while trying to complete this levels cause you encountered some problems but again, it was a luck with addition of some skill of course but even if you're Player #1 you still wouldn't be able to complete some levels everytime, most of times it's impossible.

Anyone, who says that it's lucky-based but not enough, you're lucky. Cause I remember 3I had a problems with some levels (one was with 4 tubes with electrical impulses and lava), I tried all what I could. After some hours, I surrendered. I booted these levels next day and completed them from second-third attempts. I didn't do anything different so it's obviously was a luck. 

Edited by Just_Amaz1ng

• 3 weeks later...

Both. Luck for the notes to appear in a certain order so you don't waste time,and skill to obviously don't die while jumping from one place to another beofre time runs out

There's a little bit of skills, but it's unfortunately heavily outweighed by luck.

What is worse than luck? Luck that requires some skills too.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just cleared the game for the first time in just under 9 hours, and that's with a lot of breaks. Lunch break, dinner break, mental exhaustion/anger breaks.

Death Mode is frustrating. And I got pissed off a lot. But it isn't impossible. It's just tedious and ridiculous but the more you try, the better you get adapted to it and it feels amazing when you get it done.

Mechanica and Thermogenica #2 were the ones that I absolutely despised.

Kind of an endearing little game. I love platformers, especially artsy ones, and I admire the style of the game. The physics were driving me nuts though.

Edited by Valyrious

For those who wished the death mode wasn't so luck dependent, because then you think it would have been a lot more fun, I recommend checking out N++. :) N++ is rather similar in terms of gameplay of the death mode, but without any of the luck elements, just skills. Huge difference in how enjoyable that is.

Edited by MMDE

Spent months on Death Mode and hated every minute of it. That said, I do appreciate that they took into account how much effort it takes by giving out a silver trophy per level. I have no problem with the trophy distribution, only with, as you say, the luck-based and infuriating nature of Death Mode.