Gearbox Would Love To See Borderlands 2 On PS Vita

AndroidFox

Gearbox boss Randy Pitchford says his team cannot develop Borderlands 2 for PS Vita, but if another firm wants to take it on, that would be “exciting”.

“One of the things I wish Sony would do is get behind Borderlands, because I’d love to see a Vita version of the game,” Pitchford said while speaking at Rezzed. “I want to be able to have the character I’m working on with my PS3, and then when I’m on the road with my Vita I can just keep developing that same character because it exists on the cloud somewhere.

Perhaps some of you folks can convince Sony to start that. We’re too busy to develop it ourselves. But I know there are a lot of talented developers who could take our code, our source and our content and perhaps create something like that.”

He added: “That would be exciting to me.”

Make it happen Sony, please.

They're basically saying they just want more money. "Oh sure, we'd love to have Borderlands 2 on the Vita, as long as someone else does all the work and we profit from it." Hell, why wouldn't they want it on every system if they didn't have to do any work? I think Sony needs to work on more original IP's for the Vita instead of ports of PS3 games to really make it its own system and hopefully boost sales.

Parker

• Like 2

Sony would only do this if it was an exclusive. Why would they help make this if it wasn't?

Exactly. If Gearbox offered them some sort of exclusivity I could see Sony taking the helm of the Vita version, but if they want Sony to completely develop and fund it while Gearbox makes money off it, why would Sony do that. I don't imagine a port of Borderlands would be a system seller and I'm sure it would take a lot of time and money to make the versions work with one another.

Parker

Exactly. If Gearbox offered them some sort of exclusivity I could see Sony taking the helm of the Vita version, but if they want Sony to completely develop and fund it while Gearbox makes money off it, why would Sony do that. I don't imagine a port of Borderlands would be a system seller and I'm sure it would take a lot of time and money to make the versions work with one another.

Parker

Although, if people could have the EXACT same Borderlands 2 on their Vita, where they could transfer their save and pick it up on the go, then that could sell some units..

That's stupid, just play it on your console. You can probably get the GOTY of Borderlands 1 for 15 bucks now.

$24 on Amazon to be exact :P I'm not even halfway through the game and I'd say it's worth it..

Although, if people could have the EXACT same Borderlands 2 on their Vita, where they could transfer their save and pick it up on the go, then that could sell some units..

If that were the case I'm sure it would sell a lot of units but unfortunately with two different developers I highly doubt we'd get the same experience for both consoles. However, if Sony did decide to develop Borderlands 2 for the Vita and we could transfer our characters and progress between the two consoles I'd buy both versions in a heartbeat. Even if I don't play handhelds outside of my home it would be nice to be able to stream Netflix while still playing Borderlands and leveling up my character. I doubt Sony will even respond to the news though...

Parker

Not stupid at all. :|

Yes, very stupid. Why would you wait til it comes out on a handheld to play Borderlands? If you want to play it, play it. If not, move on. I don't get what you're waiting for. It was originally developed for a console, and it probably will remain there. So like I said, play it or don't. :|

The price you can get the first game for right now is well worth it, and very inexpensive.

Edited by Beautiful As Torment

Yes, very stupid. Why would you wait til it comes out on a handheld to play Borderlands? If you want to play it, play it. If not, move on. I don't get what you're waiting for. It was originally developed for a console, and it probably will remain there. So like I said, play it or don't. :|

The price you can get the first game for right now is well worth it, and very inexpensive.

Well we each have our own opinions, but my backlog is probably way to big to afford the time to start another franchise. Besides with me getting the Vita on Wednesday, I will have even MORE games to play!!!!!! Yikes!

I don't understand why Gearbox says they don't have the time to do this. Borderlands is their most successful game - why not MAKE the time to do it?

They are already developing 3 games at the moment, Borderlands 2, Aliens and a new Brothers in Arms title. I think they have enough on their plates as it is, they don't need any extra work.

They are already developing 3 games at the moment, Borderlands 2, Aliens and a new Brothers in Arms title. I think they have enough on their plates as it is, they don't need any extra work.

They could always hire more people. I'm just saying that for them to rule out another iteration of a very popular game seems foolish.

They could always hire more people. I'm just saying that for them to rule out another iteration of a very popular game seems foolish.

If they have enough interest and Sony doesn't do anything (which they likely won't) then it may be possible that they would port it in the future. But honestly, I think a spin off like Assassin's Creed 3 is doing would do better on the Vita than a port of the console version.

Parker

If they have enough interest and Sony doesn't do anything (which they likely won't) then it may be possible that they would port it in the future. But honestly, I think a spin off like Assassin's Creed 3 is doing would do better on the Vita than a port of the console version.

Parker

Oh I definitely agree. I wouldn't want to play the same game on a Vita. It would have to be like Borderlands 2.5.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh I definitely agree. I wouldn't want to play the same game on a Vita. It would have to be like Borderlands 2.5.

yeah, you cant take a PS3 game and put it right on the Vita because I for one don't want to play the exact same game on my vita as i do on my PS3... my vote would be for a whole other story or side story of one of the first two...

but i for SURE would love to see either a Fallout, Borderlands, or Elder Scrolls style game for sure! The vita has enough power and for the most part i haven't even seen games that use its full potential (Uncharted is getting close)

I am surprised that so many of you guys are so negative about this, most people think this would be an awesome addition to the Vita.

Gamespot comments:

Capture.png

Capture1.png

capture2.png

Capture4.png

Capture5.png

Eurogamer comments:

euro1.png

euro2.png

euro3.png

IGN comments:

ign4.png

ign1.png

ign3.png

Big difference between "Love to see happen" and "We'll make it happen".

Yeah, I completely agree. I don't see why Sony should be in charge of getting the game on the Vita. Isn't that your job Mr. Pitchford? You own the rights to the IP, I hardly think Sony are the ones who should be responsible for it.

It would definitely be a nice addition to the consoles line-up, but 2K and Gearbox bear the burden of getting the game on the Vita, and the sooner they realise that the better.

Edited by AndroidFox

I don't own a Vita, and the thing that would make me buy a Vita would be exclusives, not ports of games that are already on or coming to PS3. You know, games designed for Vita instead of porting console games over. Yeah, I get it, the Vita is basically as powerful as the PS3, but that doesn't mean every game has to be ported to it.

I don't own a Vita, and the thing that would make me buy a Vita would be exclusives, not ports of games that are already on or coming to PS3. You know, games designed for Vita instead of porting console games over. Yeah, I get it, the Vita is basically as powerful as the PS3, but that doesn't mean every game has to be ported to it.

Big title games with cross-platform and save compatibility are guaranteed to shift consoles, so personally I don't really see the harm in it, so long as they integrate the ability to transfer saves and make full use of the additional features. I do agree with you about the exclusives though, the console definitely needs more. Hopefully the Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed Vita titles will get more developers working with the console.

• Like 1