How to Start Becoming a Trophy Hunter?

tstanish

i can give you my opinion, but because everyone is different you should ask yourself 3 questions. after this you can make the right choice.

1: do you value more the fun of the game or getting the trophies itself

2: are you a trophy hunter who values platinums the most or the total amount/trophy level

3: do you value more an high amount of trophies or some really difficult trophies

answers:

1: if the fun is most important to you then narrow your choices to the games you like. if you value your trophy hunting most then narrow your games to the ones with the kind of trophies you prefer (see answer 2&3)

2: if you value the platinums most then look for games with the easiest/hardest platinums, (easiest if you like the amount of plats most and hardest if you like difficult trophies most). and if you value your amount most, then look for games with much easy trophies, and if you want to spend the money to buy many games, switching them often will also result in a lot of trophies because the longer you play a game the slower trophies will pop (and the harder the will be)

3: this question is quite easy. if you prefer much trophies then go for the easiest games. if you prefer really difficult trophies then go for the hard games.

I didn't realise this thread dated back to November 2015 when I looked at it.

Anyway looking at the OP's profile as it currently stands they are just playing games to enjoy them without worrying about trophies. With that it means they are also playing games they really want to instead of playing games they couldn't care less about just for the trophies. Best attitude to have.

Hello everyone! I was wondering, whats the best way to start trophy hunting?

I've always seen people with more than 1,000's of trophies and I'm jealous. So, I want to become a trophy hunter.

What is the best way to start?

I'm only at 262 trophies as of writing this :/

Welcome to the forum! That's the best way to get started, by finding a kind community who will support you. :D

Second, just look through your games and find one you want to play for hours on end and work on the platinum. Getting your first platinum trophy is a good foundation for trophy hunting. While 100% non-platinum games are good for trophy hunting, your goal is to earn lots of platinums.

Don't get jealous about people with a zillion trophies - the major point you want to focus on is number of platinums as a platinum trophy signals you mastering every little aspect of a game. The trophy count is only one of the many status points of a good trophy hunter. You'll find that you have 'thousands of trophies' in no time at all as you earn platinums. I didn't realize I had over 1000 trophies until I got to my 20th platinum. ^_^

Other than that, have fun. If you focus and stress on your games, you won't enjoy them. ^_^

Welcome to the forum! That's the best way to get started, by finding a kind community who will support you. :D

Second, just look through your games and find one you want to play for hours on end and work on the platinum. Getting your first platinum trophy is a good foundation for trophy hunting. While 100% non-platinum games are good for trophy hunting, your goal is to earn lots of platinums.

Don't get jealous about people with a zillion trophies - the major point you want to focus on is number of platinums as a platinum trophy signals you mastering every little aspect of a game. The trophy count is only one of the many status points of a good trophy hunter. You'll find that you have 'thousands of trophies' in no time at all as you earn platinums. I didn't realize I had over 1000 trophies until I got to my 20th platinum. ^_^

Other than that, have fun. If you focus and stress on your games, you won't enjoy them. ^_^

A little late with the welcome haha. He posted this in November 2015.

• 6 years later...
18 minutes ago, Kasumi Amari said:

I ran into a trophy hunter when I was playing online, I think they had like 300 platinums, that's where it all started.

I remember when I had been collecting trophies for a short time and was boosting bioshock 2, this guy he had little over 100 platinums and I was thinking that it would be close to impossible to achieve that for myself. This was pre ratalaika and shovelware of course, those were the days. Anyways for me it started with steam achievements originally.

Edited by JAK-KRIEG
Typo
  • Like 1

The first thing you should ask yourself is why you're taking the step from just playing games as they are to start unlocking trophies.

Without preaching too much, you need to realize that there's a highly addictive nature to the hobby, and people in general won't disclose that fact as it's a somewhat sensitive topic, even within dedicated communties such as this.

That being said, the more you stick to genres to your liking, the easier it is to finish whatever you might undertake and consequently rack up your count. It should be heavily emphasised though that time, as with most things, will be the single most important factor - unless you'd want to participate in the numbers game, which I seriously suggest you refrain from doing.

Mainly focus on what interest you and don't unnecessarily waste time with stacking and auto-popping - you'll be much better of spending the time you have starting up something new and fresh rather than just inflating your numbers for the sake of it.

I wish you good luck whatever you decide on!?

39 minutes ago, Mellenthin said:

The first thing you should ask yourself is why you're taking the step from just playing games as they are to start unlocking trophies.

Without preaching too much, you need to realize that there's a highly addictive nature to the hobby, and people in general won't disclose that fact as it's a somewhat sensitive topic, even within dedicated communties such as this.

That being said, the more you stick to genres to your liking, the easier it is to finish whatever you might undertake and consequently rack up your count. It should be heavily emphasised though that time, as with most things, will be the single most important factor - unless you'd want to participate in the numbers game, which I seriously suggest you refrain from doing.

Mainly focus on what interest you and don't unnecessarily waste time with stacking and auto-popping - you'll be much better of spending the time you have starting up something new and fresh rather than just inflating your numbers for the sake of it.

I wish you good luck whatever you decide on!1f642.png

Just one question, how do you waste time with stacking and

autopopping? Regarding stacking if you really enjoy the game how could you be wasting your time?

4 minutes ago, JAK-KRIEG said:

Just one question, how do you waste time with stacking and

autopopping? Regarding stacking if you really enjoy the game how could you be wasting your time?

I'm referring to the psychological aspect.

Given how unsound the top leaderboard is and how people suffer through non-effort games in order to climb the ladder, I basically see stacking and auto-popping in a similar fashion and nothing anybody new to trophies should focus on until much later - if at all.

While I'd love to discuss this at length, I think we would steer way off-topic and highjack the thread which I honestly try my best to not do.?

3 minutes ago, Mellenthin said:

I'm referring to the psychological aspect.

Given how unsound the top leaderboard is and how people suffer through non-effort games in order to climb the ladder, I basically see stacking and auto-popping in a similar fashion and nothing anybody new to trophies should focus on until much later - if at all.

While I'd love to discuss this at length, I think we would steer way off-topic and highjack the thread which I honestly try my best to not do.1f642.png

Oh so you mean stacking shovelware yeah now you make sense. I don't see how autopopping or stacking a game I mean a quality game you enjoy playing, could ever be detrimental to mental health. I don't see how this is going off topic at all it's very much relevant to the discussion concerning becoming a trophy hunter.

3 minutes ago, JAK-KRIEG said:

Oh so you mean stacking shovelware yeah now you make sense. I don't see how autopopping or stacking a game I mean a quality game you enjoy playing, could ever be detrimental to mental health. I don't see how this is going off topic at all it's very much relevant to the discussion concerning becoming a trophy hunter.

Because they're both part of the same mechanism, i.e. maximum gain for minimum effort. It's not that I'm beyond the fact that this also entails any other method known to mankind, so pleae don't judge me as a complete hypocrite - I'm merely on the other side of the spectrum.?

Perhaps I should have kept it more simple and less cringe and just give the advice to not lose control whilst chasing the goodies.?

1 minute ago, Mellenthin said:

Because they're both part of the same mechanism, i.e. maximum gain for minimum effort. It's not that I'm beyond the fact that this also entails any other method known to mankind, so pleae don't judge me as a complete hypocrite - I'm merely on the other side of the spectrum.1f609.png

Perhaps I should have kept it more simple and less cringe and just give the advice to not lose control whilst chasing the goodies.1f603.png

Yes I agree it's the same thing stacking is stacking, but and it's a big but, one method is arguably bad for your health (shovelware) in the long run, and the other is enjoying the same game multiple times, quality games. I don't understand how that is maximum gain for minimum effort. I'm not judging you at all I just have a hard time understanding your logic.