Cheesing "Go Big, Or Go Home" trophy

Guardian_owl

I was having difficulty getting the trophy in which you clear Stage 14 (a reprise of most of the bosses fought earlier in the game) without taking damage. So I got to wondering if one could abuse the skip feature (press triangle and then select skip) to get the trophy. I was able to kill the first two bosses without taking damage, but was having trouble with the 3rd. So I killed the first two, then when the 3rd fight started I skipped. I then skipped when the 4th and 5th fight started too. I finished up by carefully killing all the enemies and the last easy boss and the trophy popped.

Unfortunately you can only select skip on levels you have not yet cleared, so if you have already cleared stage 14 you can't make use of this method. So I can't retest to see if you have to kill the first boss without taking damage and then can skip the rest until the 6th, or if you can select skip as soon as the first fight starts and then only kill the 6th and the trophy will pop

edit: skipping at 14-1 has been confirmed to work so here is the full method below.

---

:gold: Go big, or Go Home cheese method using the skip level function:

To do this method you will need to save up your skips, you only get 10 per playthrough and you will need up to 5 for this trick. You also will have to had not completed any or many levels in Stage 14. 

1. Prior to starting Stage 14-1 for the first time, back-up your save file to your PS3 or to the cloud. You need to do this because any levels that have been beaten by the player cannot be skipped later. Also if you take damage and have to restart your run, you won't be able to use skip again to bypass difficult bosses.
  2. Start Stage 14-1 and then once the boss appears press :triangle: and then select skip to move to 14-2.
  3. As soon as the boss appears in 14-2, then :triangle: and select skip again. Continue to do this 3 more times until you reach 14-6.
  4. Carefully complete 14-6 without taking damage and the trophy will unlock. If you take damage, reload you save back-up and try again.

Edited by Guardian_owl
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. I'm pretty terrible at this game and had assumed I wouldn't stand a chance at this trophy. Your post gives me hope. I've been completing this game at a snail's pace, but as soon as I get to chapter 14 I'll try skipping all but the last boss (and back up my pre chapter 14 save with ps plus incase it doesn't work). I'll post back with whether it does or doesn't work as soon as I get there.

IT WORKED! Guardian_Owl, you are a lifesaver. I can confirm if you start on 14-1, skip 14-1 through 14-5, and only fight the 14-6 boss, you can get the trophy for beating stage 14 without taking any damage. This means the only boss you need to fight is the last one. It should also be noted that it appears you only have 10 skips available (I assume for the whole game) so you'll want to save them up since this method requires using 5 of them.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good find...I did this legit, got to 14-6 and got hit by the last bird...put the game down for many months...then went back and did it...one of my proudest plats...wish I would've known about this workaround lol.

on the other hand, it wouldn't be one of your proudest plats then ;)

by the way, I'm showcasing this plat as well in my trophy cabinet :)

• 3 weeks later...

So I skipped them all to the last one, then died. I went all the way back to 14-1 and I can no longer skip it. Therefore, I can only assume you MUST skip all the way to the end and kill the final boss on your first try, else you CANNOT get the trophy this way.

Yeah I think if you're going to cheese it like this you have to do it in one go, so if anyone else tries this they should probably make a backup before attempting it.  I did it legit although it did take a couple hours.  In the end, I could do all the bosses easily except for the bird boss.  Is there a particular one that is giving you trouble?

Yeah I think if you're going to cheese it like this you have to do it in one go, so if anyone else tries this they should probably make a backup before attempting it.  I did it legit although it did take a couple hours.  In the end, I could do all the bosses easily except for the bird boss.  Is there a particular one that is giving you trouble?

The fish, for some reason. i know it isn't hard, but it keeps getting me. By bird, do you mean the Gatekeeper one? I can do that first try every time :P

Yeah that's the one. I just always choked on it D:

For the fish I just practiced it a couple times and got a pattern where I could always 2 cycle it. I think it was something like this - go straight to the middle platform and try to get the barrel about 2/3 of the way over. Dodge as he swims by and go right one platform and when he pops up to do his stab attack jump to the last platform on the right. If you stay in the middle for this I think he can break the barrel up top. Get back to the middle asap and try to drop the bomb. Jump away as soon as the screen stops shaking and attack as much as possible while he's stunned. Then rinse and repeat and he should drop. I did almost chuck my vita into a wall when he hit me on one of my first attempts. Took a while to get back to him. Hope this helps!

Edited by Komrade_Konrad

Yeah that's the one. I just always choked on it D:

For the fish I just practiced it a couple times and got a pattern where I could always 2 cycle it. I think it was something like this - go straight to the middle platform and try to get the barrel about 2/3 of the way over. Dodge as he swims by and go right one platform and when he pops up to do his stab attack jump to the last platform on the right. If you stay in the middle for this I think he can break the barrel up top. Get back to the middle asap and try to drop the bomb. Jump away as soon as the screen stops shaking and attack as much as possible while he's stunned. Then rinse and repeat and he should drop. I did almost chuck my vita into a wall when he hit me on one of my first attempts. Took a while to get back to him. Hope this helps!

Oh yeah, if I do it by itself I can do it every time. But in the loop I just can't :(

Gotcha, then it sounds like you're doing everything right.  Just keep at it and try to stay calm when you get to the fish and I'm sure you'll get it. :)

(Just remember to go really slow on that last joke boss because you might never forgive yourself if you get hit there)

Just finished the story, including the final boss without getting hit. If only stage 14 was that easy...

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Popping in to confirm this still works.

Get to Stage 14, back up your save, and have fun cheesing.  You do need to enter the stage enough so that the boss' health meter appears, otherwise the game has a tendency to freeze up.

You'll still have to go back and beat the bosses again to get the stages logged for the all stages clear trophy and the time trial trophies, though.

Edited by themindisacity

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...