Do you like pay-to-win? Well bungie does now.

Daniel_Shadow170

http://kotaku.com/destiny-is-now-selling-level-boosters-and-they-sure-co-1748105644      To lazy to grind 25 level's that take about 3 hour's? Bungie will hook you up for ONLY $30 lmao glad i dropped it no more playing destiny.  Now i know some will say but this isn't pay to win however in my definition and judging by the communtiy's it is.

Edited by ShadowStrike002

I don't really understand the reaction with this. You already get a spark of light (auto-jump to level 25) with the purchase of TTK to begin with. This just allows you to do it again for another character. This doesn't get you to the level cap of 40, nor does it get you to the second stage of leveling with light. Even with this, you're probably a dozen hours of gameplay away from endgame content. What's the issue?

I don't really understand the reaction with this. You already get a spark of light (auto-jump to level 25) with the purchase of TTK to begin with. This just allows you to do it again for another character. This doesn't get you to the level cap of 40, nor does it get you to the second stage of leveling with light. Even with this, you're probably a dozen hours of gameplay away from endgame content. What's the issue?

http://www.destructoid.com/bungie-introduces-level-boosts-for-destiny-after-it-said-it-wouldn-t-326888.phtml that is the problem i called it first silver then racing now this i'd bet $1,000 to anyone light level and guns are next.

• Like 1

Purchasing this item will only reduce your play time and you don't gain much of an advantage since the current level cap is level 40, not to mention the light level play a big factor now. I don't have much a problem with this since there's literally no advantage on purchasing this expensive item that only reduces your play time in the game.

And yes this pretty common on MMO's. I suppose Destiny is the first MMO for most people, judging by the various threads at Bungie forum.

Edited by Paige

All "MMO" games do that as they progress.  WoW allows you to buy your way up to Lv. 100: https://eu.battle.net/shop/en/product/world-of-warcraft-service-level-100-character-boost

Also this is certainly not pay to win.. it's pay to lose more as people who do this haven't learned their class like they would have if leveling (I see it happen in FFXIV all the time even though purchasing your levels isn't an option yet, FATE grinding is the next worst thing a player can do as it does not learn them their class like a dungeon would so they are then clueless how the class works at 50/60 and do crap DPS).

Edited by DEMON

Extremely misleading title.

Have you ever tried to play an online game late and without knowing anyone. People don't want to play with anyone who's not the right level or has the right gear. At least this gives people a fighting chance to get into the game late without having to invest insane amounts of time.

If there was literally boosts in MP you could buy with real money to make your team stronger that kind of crap woul bother me a lot more and would fall into the pay to win camp.

Though the level of greed bothers me, this isn't pay to win and isn't going to disrupt the game, wait till they announce light and weapon selling with real money and then there might be more legitimacy to your argument.

• Like 1

I do think it's pay to win but it's arguable the problem is 1.The price if you are paying $30 for that you shouldn't be allowed to game 2. the if you don't like it don't buy it doesn't work anymore because you've opened a door already how many people bought silver,now how many people bought that stupid book,and how many people will buy this. It's like season passes and dlc remember how everyone said that won't be shoved in your face? Ya that got out of hand because no one said anything you have to tell people when they have stupid ass idea's or are greedy.

Edited by ShadowStrike002
  • Like 1

The term "Pay to win" gets thrown around so much these days, and a lot of the time it really isn't. Real P2W would be being able to buy a weapon or something that is flat out better than anything else you can get. This is pay to skip and while I won't pay for it, I'm fine with it being there. Honestly If you want to know what real pay to win is then you should look towards the mobile market.

Have you ever tried to play an online game late and without knowing anyone. People don't want to play with anyone who's not the right level or has the right gear. At least this gives people a fighting chance to get into the game late without having to invest insane amounts of time.

I think this was a driving factor in the Refer-a-Friend program. It doesn't directly solve the time issue, but having some sherpa you through would ensure you are more efficient with your time and learning the right things while you're progressing through the game.

I do think it's pay to win but it's arguable the problem is 1.The price if you are paying $30 for that you shouldn't be allowed to game 2. the if you don't like it don't buy it doesn't work anymore because you've opened a door already how many people bought silver,now how many people bought that stupid book,and how many people will buy this. It's like season passes and dlc remember how everyone said that won't be shoved in your face? Ya that got out of hand because no one said anything you have to tell people when they have stupid ass idea's or are greedy.

Paying to win is paying to win. A level 25 without special gear going into a PvP match with level 40s is going to get wrecked. If I can pay money to get to level 40 and get exclusive gear you can only get by paying money or insanely rare gear that is pay to win.

Dont get me wrong I do understand why you have a problem with this, but you can't just say its pay to win to you when ultimately even the guy who pays for this is not going to have an edge that will make him win.

This reminds me of all the people who used the (horribly moronic) phrase Too-Big-To-Fail incorrectly. It was intended to say that a corporation is so big, that failing would be catastrophic to the economy. People used it to describe any big corporation.

I don't see this scenario as Pay to Win, which would mean once you buy this, you complete the game.

I don't see the problem with Bungie doing this. It's only reasonable as they're hemorrhaging players and they're not gong to get many new players if there is a huge hurdle for them to get into the game.

People justifying this need to think a little more

WoW lets you pay for a level skip

But they skip you straight to the cap, they don't get you halfway there. This is quite frankly ridiculous, £25 in UK money to not even really be halfway to the level cap

Bungie fucked Destiny so badly :')

One of the worst, most over-hyped games I have ever played

People justifying this need to think a little more

WoW lets you pay for a level skip

But they skip you straight to the cap, they don't get you halfway there. This is quite frankly ridiculous, £25 in UK money to not even really be halfway to the level cap

Bungie fucked Destiny so badly :')

One of the worst, most over-hyped games I have ever played

People aren't justifying it. Its a dick move by Bungie, but its not pay to win and it also is something most definitely not required.

I think general consensus on paid level boosts is you're effectively skipping the game. Its a very bizarre situation, I mean its like buying a game and then paying the company to take somew of it back. On the other hand you can think of it that bungie thought their game was so bad people were paying them so they could play it less.

Edited by Superbuu3

Your definition of pay to win is very skewed. Pay to win games require purchase of overpriced content to advance the game or you risk wasting dozens of hours to advance. This is just a boost for players whi don't have the time to enjoy the game like they wish. Don't make things out to be what they aren't.

• Like 2

This move literally doesn't change the gaming experience for you personally AT ALL. We understand you dislike this, I'd be surprised if anyone here does like it, but it doesn't break the game

You don't see how because you aren't thinking about it i'm honestly surprised i'm in the minority for pay to win here yet reddit,gamefaqs and even 4chan i'm in the majority thinking oh well i'll see you guys in 2 months when the big items are dlc.

You don't see how because you aren't thinking about it i'm honestly surprised i'm in the minority for pay to win here yet reddit,gamefaqs and even 4chan i'm in the majority thinking oh well i'll see you guys in 2 months when the big items are dlc.

Nobody likes pay to win. But I guess I'll have to bold it like the condescending prick I am because you aren't thinking either. This, by definition, is NOT pay to win

• Like 1

Nobody likes pay to win. But I guess I'll have to bold it like the condescending prick I am because you aren't thinking either. This, by definition, is NOT pay to win

Don't go around throwing logic and reason into the argument. He's already said the mob mentality other places match his, so he's convinced he must be correct.

reddit,gamefaqs and even 4chan i'm in the majority thinking

Well if that's the yardstick you're measuring yourself against, perhaps you should learn to expect different results from this community.

• Like 4