Do you like pay-to-win? Well bungie does now.

Daniel_Shadow170

You don't see how because you aren't thinking about it i'm honestly surprised i'm in the minority for pay to win here yet reddit,gamefaqs and even 4chan i'm in the majority thinking oh well i'll see you guys in 2 months when the big items are dlc.

According to gamefaqs the greatest game ever made was Undertale.

I even addressed your point stating that sure if they do add actual pay to win stuff then we will be annoyed. I don't see the point of making a discussion if you don't intend to discuss and are just going to tell us we're wrong because some other guy said so.

If you're really struggling with this concept take off all your equipment with whatever level character you have in Destiny and show us how you can win with level alone just use sharefactory I'm sure these videos will be amazing.

Really, urban dictionary? You know that's not an actual dictionary, right? xD

Of course because their is no set-term for pay to win it's agreed a upon pay to win is to give you an advantage here's a qoute

You can argue that it doesn't give you an advantage. It just lets you catch up more quickly right?

Well if I pay for all 320 gear. It doesn't give me an advantage over someone who worked for their 320 gear. It just lets me catch up to them more quickly right? I could have gotten it myself and it doesn't give me any advantage right?

Explain how is it NOT pay to win?

I'm interested on what you have to say.

Have you played this games in the endgame this item literally does nothing, you pretty much can get to 25 within a couple of days so its utterly pointless there is no power involved so its not pay to win , don't get me wrong bungie is a huge dick to put something like this on the store but it does nothing, i got one of these items when i bought TTK and i still haven't used it so i really don't get why you're so salty about this 

People justifying this need to think a little more

WoW lets you pay for a level skip

But they skip you straight to the cap, they don't get you halfway there. This is quite frankly ridiculous, £25 in UK money to not even really be halfway to the level cap

Bungie fucked Destiny so badly :')

One of the worst, most over-hyped games I have ever played

No, Blizzard forces you to pay for it, it's not an option. When they introduced the "Level Boost" feature, the very next expansion got a price increase of $10 and a "free" level boost, and surprise surprise, the new one costs the same price as the last and includes a "free" level boost. Most people who play WoW will most likely have a ton of max level characters and don't even need that boost, yet they're forced to pay that extra $10 for a new expansion. Bungie isn't raising the price of Destiny.

This isn't pay-to-win, as anyone who skips all that content will have zero idea how to play and will most likely fail constantly, hurting their team and annoying other people (and if in PvP, making the opposing team really happy). Pay-to-win would be selling a gun that kills everyone on screen for $20.

Have you played this games in the endgame this item literally does nothing, you pretty much can get to 25 within a couple of days so its utterly pointless there is no power involved so its not pay to win , don't get me wrong bungie is a huge dick to put something like this on the store but it does nothing, i got one of these items when i bought TTK and i still haven't used it so i really don't get why you're so salty about this 

Hm not salty i have no investment in bungie i would like to know what people define as pay to win here it's agreed everywhere else it's anything that gives an advantage so what is it defined here?

Really, urban dictionary? You know that's not an actual dictionary, right? xD

"actual dictionary"

Most dictionaries is falling behind these days, because of their practice of how new words are added. Urban dictionary is a dictionary, but more updated with the latest words and slang etc. Many seem to think that dictionaries are prescriptive with their definitions, but they're descriptive, and they're often wrong when it comes to more technical terms. The community edited dictionaries and encyclopedias are usually more up to date and correct when it comes to use of more technical terms.

"actual dictionary"

Most dictionaries is falling behind these days, because of their practice of how new words are added. Urban dictionary is a dictionary, but more updated with the latest words and slang etc. Many seem to think that dictionaries are prescriptive with their definitions, but they're descriptive, and they're often wrong when it comes to more technical terms. The community edited dictionaries and encyclopedias are usually more up to date and correct when it comes to use of more technical terms.

I agree with the community edited things, but urban dictionary is largely a parody. For example, if I enter my name into the website I get this result -

"Guy with an incredibly huge penis and is totally awsome compared to any bitch ass Russians.

(if you know anybody named dylan next time you see him give him a high five unless your a chick in that case give him a hug but no fatties)

Dylan is that guy at school or in your town that your totally in love or gay for unless your his friend"

While I certainly can't argue with that first statement, you can see my point.

Edited by Kurisu

The term "Pay to win" gets thrown around so much these days, and a lot of the time it really isn't. Real P2W would be being able to buy a weapon or something that is flat out better than anything else you can get. This is pay to skip and while I won't pay for it, I'm fine with it being there. Honestly If you want to know what real pay to win is then you should look towards the mobile market.

I would say this isn't entirely correct. Pay to win would refer to paying to win, that is either making it very easy to win or just allow you to outright win/skip. Buying something that you can earn without paying can still be pay to win, because you're paying to get what people would win.

My problem with pay to win isn't that people pay to win, because what is the point in that? Why are they playing the game? Rather, it can affect the gameplay design, making it worse for those not paying. Even when it's just skins etc, you get a less complete game, even if you already paid full price for the game. If it has micro transactions, it usually want you to pay for it, so the game is designed in such a way that it tempts you with it all the time, and why would you be tempted? Yeah, it usually isn't all that good. There's also the problem when it gives people an unfair advantage in online play, either it allows people to get the best stuff in the game without going through what everyone else did, or they get some special, maybe even one-time, advantage etc.

I've never played Destiny...

I agree with the community edited things, but urban dictionary is largely a parody. For example, if I enter my name into the website I get this result -

"Guy with an incredibly huge penis and is totally awsome compared to any bitch ass Russians.

(if you know anybody named dylan next time you see him give him a high five unless your a chick in that case give him a hug but no fatties)

Dylan is that guy at school or in your town that your totally in love or gay for unless your his friend"

While I certainly can't argue with that first statement, you can see my point.

Sounds like slang terms with some cultural reference of some kind. Yes, people explain the words and their usage in a funny way, but the definitions are rather spot on most of the time.

EDIT: and the descriptive and prescriptive comment was directed at both of you, Kurisu and ShadowStrike002.

Edited by MMDE

Hm not salty i have no investment in bungie i would like to know what people define as pay to win here it's agreed everywhere else it's anything that gives an advantage so what is it defined here?

I think paying for something that would be advantageous over another player as being pay to win. Level boosting to 25 doesn't even level up your subclass. Being at level 25 only allows you to be able to play TTK content. You still can't access most of the strikes, any of the heroic strikes, nightfalls or any of the raids (I think VoG starts at 26). You can't even access the PvP with level advantages (which you'd get your ass handed to you by the most inept players ayway). 

Yes, this is a cheap money grab, but it's really only a time saver pack which many games already have. I just don't see it as being P2W. To each their own though.

I quit giving a shit when they wanted me to pay $60 for DLC... "it's like an entirely new game and it's good now!!" well should have been there from the start... or release a different game all together... especially for the prices they charge... I'll just move onto a better different game.. the end..

I am one 100% fine if I loose. I feel Destiny has made so many mistakes over its lifetime so far. The gunplay was spot on though, so that's the reason I bet people are still playing. I would jump back for a short session if I didn't have to update the damn thing every time I want to play it.

Edited by USFOODSMaN

Paying for power that can affect others in game and gives you and unfair and unearnable advantage is pay-to-win

i don't think many console games do that though(i might be wrong on that)you should see moblie games those are perfect examples of pay-to-win 

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pay-to-win you're welcome at the end of the day it is pay to win.

the second half of the quote reads, "then makes the game largely unbalanced even for people who have skill in the game without paying."

Spark of Light accomplishes this how?

No one with a level jump to 25 is overpowered against others with skill in the game who never used a level jump.

Not really pay to win I would say,pay to win is Taken King...this boost to lvl 25 is a huge shame though,really directioned for the lazy/lame people whom like to pay for their game and not play at all LMAO,things like this are a cancer in the video game industry.

Not a surprise comin from bungie and activision though...lol their stupid practices throw disrespect at our faces blatantly,I've read somewhere that they have a plan to support Destiny for 10 years,at 1st I thought wow nice we won't have a new Destiny yearly!!...but of course they won't make a new game,they release DLC as if it was a new game,they're making every thing on Destiny exclusive to Taken King owners which means people only with the normal game get excluded as if they were shit....lol what a brilliant way to support your game.

Things like this just don't make sense to me as a gamer.

Even if it doesn't take much time and effort to get to level 25 you're still paying to skip part of the experience of playing and learning the game to get there.

What's next... pay to get to the end of a game so you don't have to be bothered with actually playing it to finish it?

It is what it is speaking up about it won't do anything a few places did a poll on how much money people put in for the sliver and the book and how much people spent and it's ridiculous thinking about trying my hand at making a free-to-play game looks like that is where the money is.

Puctuation please. I had to read this (run on) sentence three times before it made sense. It doesn't even have to be perfect either. Just something to let me know where one statement ends and another begins.

We all know Destiny is a huge money pit or at least we should by now. If you really want to make a statement, don't play it or buy anything for it any more. Money or lack of it from you and many others is the only way to make them stop these business practices.

• Like 2