YouTube gaming channels...any good advice?

Chell_Clare

Hi guys,

I've been working on a YouTube channel over Christmas, but it's the first time I've put anything like this together. At the moment, I'm just seeing whether I enjoy it and whether I can post different types of video (walkthroughs, musical mayhem features [short, fun, music-based clips], trophy tips). I'm not really happy with the look of it yet, and currently have to do the commentaries as I play through as I haven't looked into editing software. This is a really long way of asking for any YouTube tips/advice.

I've added a link so that all you channel pros can take a look at what's there so far, which bits I shouldn't do any more of, and things that work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/chellie56

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Try to go easy on me...I've never done this stuff before :)

Hi guys,

I've been working on a YouTube channel over Christmas, but it's the first time I've put anything like this together. At the moment, I'm just seeing whether I enjoy it and whether I can post different types of video (walkthroughs, musical mayhem features [short, fun, music-based clips], trophy tips). I'm not really happy with the look of it yet, and currently have to do the commentaries as I play through as I haven't looked into editing software. This is a really long way of asking for any YouTube tips/advice.

I've added a link so that all you channel pros can take a look at what's there so far, which bits I shouldn't do any more of, and things that work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/chellie56

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Try to go easy on me...I've never done this stuff before :)

1. You need all forms of social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and many more) so you can communicate with potential fans.

2. Every forum needs to have links to your social media.

3. Be unique, if you are confident that you can complete the game on hard, do it. People will want to tune in for a more skilled player.

4. Have class, your commentary is good and it should stay that way. If something is funny, made a fun joke about it, but don't over do it. We don't need the female version of PewDiePie unless you're a comedian.

5. Prepare to wait a long time for success. Success isn't going to drop on your doorstop quickly, that's random luck, we are being practical here.

6. Videos have to have enough content and watch your video count, if you have 1000 videos but only 6K subscribers, you dun goofed. The ratio has to be in your favour. Less videos with good content and exposure can rack up more subscribers in the long run.

7. Have some videos talk about what's going on with your life and make sure people can see your face, people are more comfortable when they have a picture of who they are following.

8. Need to have two different platforms, there are tons of Nintendo, Sony and MS only players, but less multi platform players. Every platform has an audience you could carter to if you know how to market yourself.

9. Try to do collabs with other unknown gaming channels, it could bring in potential fans.

Now, I ain't say that these rules are proven for success, but strange things do happen. Good luck, Chell. I may see you on TV one-day with your new fancy car or house.

1. You need all forms of social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and many more) so you can communicate with potential fans.

2. Every forum needs to have links to your social media.

3. Be unique, if you are confident that you can complete the game on hard, do it. People will want to tune in for a more skilled player.

4. Have class, your commentary is good and it should stay that way. If something is funny, made a fun joke about it, but don't over do it. We don't need the female version of PewDiePie unless you're a comedian.

5. Prepare to wait a long time for success. Success isn't going to drop on your doorstop quickly, that's random luck, we are being practical here.

6. Videos have to have enough content and watch your video count, if you have 1000 videos but only 6K subscribers, you dun goofed. The ratio has to be in your favour. Less videos with good content and exposure can rack up more subscribers in the long run.

7. Have some videos talk about what's going on with your life and make sure people can see your face, people are more comfortable when they have a picture of who they are following.

8. Need to have two different platforms, there are tons of Nintendo, Sony and MS only players, but less multi platform players. Every platform has an audience you could carter to if you know how to market yourself.

9. Try to do collabs with other unknown gaming channels, it could bring in potential fans.

Now, I ain't say that these rules are proven for success, but strange things do happen. Good luck, Chell. I may see you on TV one-day with your new fancy car or house.

Thanks for taking the time to write all those tips. Fantastic advice x

Edited by Chell_Clare

Thanks for taking the time to write all those tips. Fantastic advice x

It's cool. Just remember to take your time with it, no need for you to have a 4000 videos and only 4k subscribers. Its not a nice feeling. Enjoy yourself and don't mind me rubbing my hands together for that advice check, lol.

• Like 1

FlareXV did give some fantastic advice, definitely follow that.

If you feel like your videos are starting to get good, consider paying for advertisement on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/yt/advertise/

Of course, only when you staring getting the hang of it; ads will bring new people, but if they don't like the video, they'll quickly lose interest.

Really just have confidence people follow me and i'm an asshole(also great at the games i play) so just hope you have a good personality don't try and fake it if you have it then great if you don't then you don't just have fun with it.

Definitely agree (not that you're an asshole, but that it's important to do it for fun!) I've enjoyed making the videos and messing around with the look of the channel so far. I have quite a dry sense of humour, so like anything I imagine the overall opinion on the commentary uploads will be completely subjective, which is understandable. Plus, I know that some people who comment on YouTube can be very harsh just for the sake of posting something controversial/offensive. I think my plan there is to find the negative feedback that helps the channel develop and ignore the stuff that's just nasty :D

I just watched one of your videos.

Can you get a friend? Even via Skype or something, at least?

I think the commentary would be a lot more endearing if you had someone to talk to.

It doesn't even need to be about the game, just talk about whatever.

btw, if you're doing a let's play, you'll probably want to start from the beginning of the game.

Or, at least, put a link in the description (Or annotation) of your videos for the first part of that game playthrough

I just watched one of your videos.

Can you get a friend? Even via Skype or something, at least?

I think the commentary would be a lot more endearing if you had someone to talk to.

It doesn't even need to be about the game, just talk about whatever.

btw, if you're doing a let's play, you'll probably want to start from the beginning of the game.

Or, at least, put a link in the description (Or annotation) of your videos for the first part of that game playthrough

Yeah, I agree that it could use a conversation-style dialogue. I'm putting together Chapters 1-5 on the Uncharted commentaries as we speak so some of those should be going up shortly. I've actually started to move the channel over to a different account, because that one is associated with my personal email. Think it makes sense to have an entirely separate account. My problem is that I think of these things too late! ;) As much as I hate to say it, I'm at the 'early thirties' age where most of my friends have kids and limited time to help me out with the commentaries :(

Edited by Chell_Clare

Definitely agree (not that you're an asshole, but that it's important to do it for fun!) I've enjoyed making the videos and messing around with the look of the channel so far. I have quite a dry sense of humour, so like anything I imagine the overall opinion on the commentary uploads will be completely subjective, which is understandable. Plus, I know that some people who comment on YouTube can be very harsh just for the sake of posting something controversial/offensive. I think my plan there is to find the negative feedback that helps the channel develop and ignore the stuff that's just nasty :D

Ya the way youtube is set-up the negative comments are always the most upvoted with the constructive criticism/postive comments buried.  Have you thought about using twitch lot's of people enjoy seeing live gameplay and you can interact with views.

• Like 1

Having been there in the making of a couple of channels going for some few hundred subscribers to tens and hundreds of thousands, I've some opinions on what made them succeed.

The most important part would be making content you'd want watch yourself.

Specialize in something specific. Don't do a lot of videos a good chunk of your subscribers wouldn't want to watch.

Find your niche, something a lot of people aren't already doing. At the same time, if there's something new about it everyone else is talking about, you gotta be there and deliver even better content on the same topic, so people go to you for that stuff.

Especially in the in the beginning, it's very important you interact with your audience. Show that you notice them. Make them enjoy their time with you.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

I have one https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS92hEx8o9Vg3zYkbEEz8VQ .

I guess the trick to having a popular YouTube channel is to really be a presence on social media. I could care less. I like making videos of my gaming just to do it and if you want to watch my channel, cool, if not, that's cool too. Some people really have great channels on YouTube though. They do all that editing and whatever, and it begins to look really professional or at least more stylish, and I think that's what really draws people in to watch. Like with my channel, I probably won't get a whole lot of subscribers, because I don't know how to do any of that fancy editing. I just use what's available on the share button option on my PS4.