Sony tried to trademark "Let's Play"

FlareXV

Not cool, Sony, not cool.

San Mateo, California-based Sony Computer Entertainment of America is trying to trademark the term “Let’s Play” to represent “electronic transmission and streaming of video games via global and local computer networks; streaming of audio, visual, and audiovisual material via global and local computer networks.”

Let’s Play is a general term on the Internet for streamers, YouTubers, and other video content creators who play video games while commentating. The concept of a Let’s Play video has a long history, with its modern iteration sparked by the popular Japanese television show GameCenter CX, where comedian Shinya Arino would painfully try to play through Nintendo Famicom games in one try.

Maybe they'll explain their actions in the upcoming days.

Here's rest of the article: http://venturebeat.com/2016/01/08/sony-tries-to-trademark-lets-play-and-pisses-off-the-internet/

Here's the trademark application: http://www.trademarkia.com/lets-play-86801899.html

Edited by FlareXV

They most likely wanted to use the phrase in advertising or a new feature/service or something, theres literally no point in trying this purely to rustle people's jimmies. They dont need to explain themselves, people will forget by Monday.

Edited by Saltyie
  • Like 1

I hope everyone still remembers King trademarking "candy" and ZeniMax trademarking "dragonborn".

King actually had a problem, people were actually trying to jump on the success of their game by making clones of it. What does Sony have that is related to the term "Let's play"?

Edited by FlareXV

King actually had a problem, people were actually trying to jump on the success of their game by making clones of it. What does Sony have that is related to the term "Let's play"?

That is true, but so have other devs for years on FB and mobile :P Doesn't change the fact that trademarking a common word is silly (though they did clarify that they wouldn't use it for anything that isn't a rip-off attempt).

That is true, but so have other devs for years on FB and mobile :P Doesn't change the fact that trademarking a common word is silly (though they did clarify that they wouldn't use it for anything that isn't a rip-off attempt).

I totally agree, I'm not hating Sony for doing it, I'm just questioning their motive for it. If it's PS4 streaming, I would be so happy to hear that.

Can't blame Sony for trying. No one has tried to trademark it yet and if this had slipped under the radar, Sony would have had a big win (from their perspective). I thought LPers were all part of one group the first time I ever heard of it. I'm kinda surprised a few of the better ones haven't gotten together to do the same thing Sony tried to do here.

Many stupid moves by sony this is why they need competition.

So several people who have nothing to do with Lets Play videos would have all applied for the trademark? I don't see how that makes any sense.

You wouldn't get sued anyway unless you're trying to make money off your videos. And avoiding the problem completely is as simple as retitling your videos if you want to make money. I know, for one, that a couple of Beyond: Two Souls videos in my channel have copyrighted background music. I received a warning in the Video Editor that states as long as I agree to not monetize the video and agree to allow ads to appear, then the copyright owner allows me to use their audio in the video. I'd imagine it'd be the same if you're desperate to use the words "Let's Play" in your videos.