PT-inspired game Layers Of Fear is coming to PS4 next month

Finozzi1696

http://www.gamesradar.com/pt-inspired-layers-fear-coming-ps4-next-month/

Want your next terrifying fix of psychological horror? You got it. Layers Of Fear is going from Early Access on PC and Xbox One to PS4 in its complete and horrific form on February 16th. You play as a painter who is obsessed by completing his life's work but this is sadly at the expense of holding onto his sanity. You explore his house which just happens to be filled with ominous paintings and mysteriously disappearing doors. It's far smarter than it sounds and you'll want to pull the old 'oh I'll just take one headphone off' trick almost immediately. 

"In creating Layers of Fear, we wanted to bring a new perspective to the horror genre by introducing a lead character whose own world changes around him as he struggles with insanity and loses his grip on reality," explains Rafal Basaj from devs Bloober Team on the PlayStation Blog. "Both the fine art surroundings and the painter’s family home, originally sources of inspiration and accomplishment, deteriorate along with the character’s own psyche, representing how madness, obsession, and tragedy can influence one’s mind and cause the player to doubt his or her every step."

Edited by Finozzi1696
  • Like 4

P.T.'s gone and it ain't coming back. Stop comparing everything that ain't it to it, people.

Kinda hard not too, when P.T. is the only stand out horror game on PS4, which kinda says something about the state of horror games when the best one is a bloody demo :(

Kinda hard not too, when P.T. is the only stand out horror game on PS4, which kinda says something about the state of horror games when the best one is a bloody demo :(

except Until Dawn, even if the game is pretty much just jumpscares it had a lot of success so it pretty much stand out.

at least i'm glad the PS4 was the one to obtain one of the most acclaimed horror games from recent years, even if it was just a teaser.

Inspired... so... it will be taken down from store after a while with no way to download? :awesome:

i don't think the director is leaving the company so no

except Until Dawn, even if the game is pretty much just jumpscares it had a lot of success so it pretty much stand out.

at least i'm glad the PS4 was the one to obtain one of the most acclaimed horror games from recent years, even if it was just a teaser.

Oh yea forgot about UD, still got it sealed in my drawer. I'll have to get to it soon.

Oh yea forgot about UD, still got it sealed in my drawer. I'll have to get to it soon.

is pretty awesome, i watched thousands of playthroughs and it has to be one of the most fun horror games to play from recent years (the unexpected story twists are also really good), and it's also the best interactive drama-type game out there, it even made youtube's top 10 most watched/searched games of 2015.

i will get it when it goes on sale.

Edited by smellslikejavier

Alison Road is supposedly coming to PS4 still.

Old as balls Slenderman is on PS4 already.

PT has a few hours of content in it for free.

Until Dawn is pretty sweet for an interactive b grade horror movie.

Outlast is short and sweet, emphasis on the latter.

Resident Evil's remake is pretty as tits on PS4.

Resident Evil 0's out now or soon on PS4.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 is also on the PS4. 

I can't wait for Layers to come out, since there's clearly no good horror games on PS4 yet.

• Like 1

I would like to add that Alien: Isolation was also a pretty good horror game. I find it odd people seem to have forgotten that one already.

OT: Nice to see this is getting completed sooner than I thought. I remember watching a playthrough of the first part a few months ago. Pretty sure it was just a demo too, and it looked really good for one.

I can't wait for Layers to come out, since there's clearly no good horror games on PS4 yet.

don't forget about Among the Sleep, another horror game available on PS4, and also Alien: Isolation, Daylight, Soma, and i think we are going to get Amnesia soon. The Forest is also coming to PS4 but i don't know if its a horror game, and there was also another upcoming horror game about an amusement park but i forgot its name.

like always we are pretty much getting all of the indie crap available on indie-steam.

Edited by smellslikejavier

As far as I'm aware Allison Road isn't confirmed for either console, as of yet. The kickstarter was canceled, due to Team17's intervention so the XB1 / PS4 goals don't exist anymore.

Slender honestly isn't that great for me, it's just jump scares and to be honest I find the game boring (even the original PC demo.prototype thing)

UD and Outlast I'll be playing soon.

And I don't wanna be that guy, but the Resident Evil games aren't THAT much different from each other (maybe Rev 2 cos it's new).

But thats basically a demo (thats not even downloadable anymore), a meh game, 2 probably decent games (at least they seem that way) and the Resident Evil franchise. Then Allison Road, which we don't know if it's gonna be on PS4 or not yet, though I hope it does, cos it looks like the best horror game in years. Still, not that great of a horror game collection.

Yeah, there are other smaller horror games (like SOMA, Daylight, Lone Survivor etc) but they're not great either in my opinion.

Edited by Cobby

As far as I'm aware Allison Road isn't confirmed for either console, as of yet. The kickstarter was canceled, due to Team17's intervention so the XB1 / PS4 goals don't exist anymore.

Slender honestly isn't that great for me, it's just jump scares and to be honest I find the game boring (even the original PC demo.prototype thing)

And I don't wanna be that guy, but the Resident Evil games aren't THAT much different from each other (maybe Rev 2 cos it's new).

But thats basically a demo (thats not even downloadable anymore), a meh game, 2 probably decent games (at least they seem that way) and the Resident Evil franchise. Then Allison Road, which we don't know if it's gonna be on PS4 or not yet, though I hope it does, cos it looks like the best horror game in years. Still, not that great of a horror game collection.

Yeah, there are other smaller horror games (like SOMA, Daylight, Lone Survivor etc) but they're not great either in my opinion.

I think it just depends on every people's opinion, some will find that list to be really good, some other will find it not that good, personally I think Outlast was a very good horror game, Until Dawn was a very unique experience and I think is the first game to implement Heavy Rain's gameplay + horror and it was done very well, Resident Evil Remake HD was also really good and one of the best remakes ever made, RE Zero wasn't as good as the remake in my opinion but still it's a pretty good old school horror game, Revelations 2 wasn't that great to me (I only played the first chapter which is free on PSN) but it's still better than the main series and its action-focused genre, PT was just a teaser but I still consider it one of the best horror experiences of all time and I don't like the way Allison Road is trying to replicate that formula but well it might be good and I'm pretty sure it will be released on PS4 at some point.

PS: Everyone forgot to mention The Evil Within lol, which personally I found it very disappointing, was expecting a better game from RE's creator.

Edited by Finozzi1696
  • Like 1

I think it just depends on every people's opinion, some will find that list to be really good, some other will find it not that good, personally I think Outlast was a very good horror game, Until Dawn was a very unique experience and I think is the first game to implement Heavy Rain's gameplay + horror and it was done very well, Resident Evil Remake HD was also really good and one of the best remakes ever made, RE Zero wasn't as good as the remake in my opinion but still it's a pretty good old school horror game, Revelations 2 wasn't that great to me (I only played the first chapter which is free on PSN) but it's still better than the main series and its action-focused genre, PT was just a teaser but I still consider it one of the best horror experiences of all time and I don't like the way Allison Road is trying to replicate that formula but well it might be good and I'm pretty sure it will be released on PS4 at some point.

PS: Everyone forgot to mention The Evil Within lol, which personally I found it very disappointing, was expecting a better game from RE's creator.

LOL, Evil Within wasn't that good. You know you have a problem when the cover art is more creepy than the actual game....

don't forget about Among the Sleep, another horror game available on PS4, and also Alien: Isolation, Daylight, Soma, and i think we are going to get Amnesia soon. The Forest is also coming to PS4 but i don't know if its a horror game, and there was also another upcoming horror game about an amusement park but i forgot its name.

like always we are pretty much getting all of the indie crap available on indie-steam.

They were just a few off the top of my head that I've personally played, I've not gotten around to the other ones there, yet.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/09/22/allison-road-the-p-t-style-horror-game-will-be-coming-to-ps4-and-xbox-one/

Slendy is nothing special, it's cool for the first few minutes but that's it.

UD is alright depending on what you want out of it, Outlast is pretty sweet though.

RE has had a lot of ups and downs, but Rev 1 on 3DS was stellar, though I've not yet checked out it's sequel.

True, it's not a 100% awesome collection, but it's a decent stack considering the PS4's been out for basically only 2 years.

• Like 1

They were just a few off the top of my head that I've personally played, I've not gotten around to the other ones there, yet.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/09/22/allison-road-the-p-t-style-horror-game-will-be-coming-to-ps4-and-xbox-one/

Slendy is nothing special, it's cool for the first few minutes but that's it.

UD is alright depending on what you want out of it, Outlast is pretty sweet though.

RE has had a lot of ups and downs, but Rev 1 on 3DS was stellar, though I've not yet checked out it's sequel.

True, it's not a 100% awesome collection, but it's a decent stack considering the PS4's been out for basically only 2 years.

Ehh I guess you are right. Just feels like no one knows how go do horror anymore. Films and games are just full of so many sub standard games :(

I hope Allison Road does come to consoles. But that article is showing the kickstarter goals which was cancelled. I hope Team17 still plan to bring it over but we'll see.

Edited by Cobby

Ehh I guess you are right. Just feels like no one knows how go do horror anymore. Films and games are just full of so many sub standard games :(

I hope Allison Road does come to consoles. But that article is showing the kickstarter goals which was cancelled. I hope Team17 still plan to bring it over but we'll see.

Oh no shit. I wouldn't call myself a horror fanatic at all, but good horror is good horror, and I haven't really seen any good horror movies this side of 2005, even less on the gaming side of things. Admittedly I'm a sucker for things like Evil Dead with it's blend of horror and humour (go watch the Ash vs Evil Dead TV show, season one just finished, it's so good) but ... well really, ever since Evil Dead 2 that series has put horror WAY on the backburner. Anyway, I'm full on with you about people cocking this up all the time. That's most of the reason I enjoyed PT, it was one small part of a house over and over and over, but it was atmospheric as fuck. The lighting, the sound design, the premise, the eerie radio messages, the lot, hell, even the odd jump scare, everything about that little demo was everything I want in a horror game. I want to simply be sucked into something, something believable, I want to be scared and on my toes, and I want to get out. That's all I want in a horror game, a great atmosphere, a scary enough setting, and the desire to get myself the fuck out of there.

If that's what you also want out of a horror style game, then Outlast will do you good. Admittedly, there's a few too many (somewhat predictable) jumpscares, but for the most part they work in a game, because where you can expect them in a movie, you've got a controller in your hand when playing the game and you're more focused and less of a spectator, meaning the jump scares, at least for me, actually catch you off guard most of the time.

While on the subject of shitty horror movies and games, I'd like to put it out there that ever since I saw Paranormal Activity 1 in cinemas back in 09 (and was HUGELY disappointed by it, that movie's marketing campaign made it look like it WOULDN'T just be a found footage style piece of lazy, generic, shit) I thought that movie would make a great game. Say you're the people in the house, and you're just trying to survive the ghosts and shit. I know that pitch right there is terrible, but take some liberties with it. Let's say you're in a mansion (like a certain other horror game franchise began in) and there's some weird noises and shit, and you get paranoid, and you go to leave, but the doors lock and you can't get out and you're way too freaked to sleep so you stay up all night, against all the ... okay, you know what, fuck it, that doesn't sound as good as it did in my head, but anyway, a well made Paranormal Activity style game, I'd be up for giving that a chance. Hell, PT almost felt a tiny bit like that at times anyway.

• Like 1

LOL, Evil Within wasn't that good. You know you have a problem when the cover art is more creepy than the actual game....

Yeah, I mean it had some scary parts personally but the whole game felt like a RE4 duplicate, and it had so many technical issues and the story and characters were so bad in my opinion that I couldn't believe that the man who created the amazing PS1 RE's games, the spectacular RE Remake and the great action game but-not-so-great-RE called RE4 created this "thing" called The Evil Within.

• Like 1

Oh no shit. I wouldn't call myself a horror fanatic at all, but good horror is good horror, and I haven't really seen any good horror movies this side of 2005, even less on the gaming side of things. Admittedly I'm a sucker for things like Evil Dead with it's blend of horror and humour (go watch the Ash vs Evil Dead TV show, season one just finished, it's so good) but ... well really, ever since Evil Dead 2 that series has put horror WAY on the backburner. Anyway, I'm full on with you about people cocking this up all the time. That's most of the reason I enjoyed PT, it was one small part of a house over and over and over, but it was atmospheric as fuck. The lighting, the sound design, the premise, the eerie radio messages, the lot, hell, even the odd jump scare, everything about that little demo was everything I want in a horror game. I want to simply be sucked into something, something believable, I want to be scared and on my toes, and I want to get out. That's all I want in a horror game, a great atmosphere, a scary enough setting, and the desire to get myself the fuck out of there.

If that's what you also want out of a horror style game, then Outlast will do you good. Admittedly, there's a few too many (somewhat predictable) jumpscares, but for the most part they work in a game, because where you can expect them in a movie, you've got a controller in your hand when playing the game and you're more focused and less of a spectator, meaning the jump scares, at least for me, actually catch you off guard most of the time.

While on the subject of shitty horror movies and games, I'd like to put it out there that ever since I saw Paranormal Activity 1 in cinemas back in 09 (and was HUGELY disappointed by it, that movie's marketing campaign made it look like it WOULDN'T just be a found footage style piece of lazy, generic, shit) I thought that movie would make a great game. Say you're the people in the house, and you're just trying to survive the ghosts and shit. I know that pitch right there is terrible, but take some liberties with it. Let's say you're in a mansion (like a certain other horror game franchise began in) and there's some weird noises and shit, and you get paranoid, and you go to leave, but the doors lock and you can't get out and you're way too freaked to sleep so you stay up all night, against all the ... okay, you know what, fuck it, that doesn't sound as good as it did in my head, but anyway, a well made Paranormal Activity style game, I'd be up for giving that a chance. Hell, PT almost felt a tiny bit like that at times anyway.

Think I might play Outlast within the next week or 2, but I'm a bit distracted at the moment and not sure I want to play a game like that where I have to concentrate on it. I'd rather try and sort shit out, then just spend a night getting my teeth into care free. But yeah, definitely prefer the atmospheric, uneasy type horror games, than constant jump scares because they lose their edge after the first few goes. I just need more games, so I'm not playing P.T. constantly till the final puzzle, then restarting xD

I see what you're getting at with Paranormal Activity, could be an idea. Personally, I want a game based around Begotten... That film is easily the most messed up shit I've ever seen. Then you find out what the story is (because it's basically a silent film) and it's somehow worse.  

• Like 1

Yeah, I mean it had some scary parts personally but the whole game felt like a RE4 duplicate, and it had so many technical issues and the story and characters were so bad in my opinion that I couldn't believe that the man who created the amazing PS1 RE's games, the spectacular RE Remake and the great action game but-not-so-great-RE called RE4 created this "thing" called The Evil Within.

Bethesda probably rushed them. The game could have been so much more....