Let's Play Catherine

Tried getting the Gold Prizes on Normal again today, and I managed to unlock Obelisk. As it turns out, my PS3 controllers weren't working properly (found this out when I was playing Jak and Daxter, and Jak would attack or crouch randomly when i wasn't pressing anything), so I used my PS4 controller and got the 5th Gold Prize without any problems. I'll work on the Rapunzel stages again before I work on the remaining 4 Gold Prizes on Normal.

Nice progress. I also had a problem with the second controller, where the left stick wouldn't go back to the default position. So one of the characters in Babel Mode would keep moving :facepalm:.

Is this game really that hard to plat?

Looking at your profile, I think you would be able to do it. We seem to have an eerily similar taste in games btw.

I don't want to make it sound easy, because it's definitely not. The plat can be challenging but very doable with some patience. Most of the game isn't too difficult if you want to use a guide. Babel is where you have to rely on your skills and reasoning but it's not impossible or anything.

The game is also on sale right now in the Golden Week sale if you are interested. Not sure about the price since I already own it though.

Edited by MStalker58

I think so.  You basically can't make any mistakes for all stages. The stages are timed and you need to keep progressing or you lose your combo which counts to your score, which determines if you get Gold, which determines if you get the trophies.  

Watching youtube vids makes it look far easier than it is. Even using videos for the story mode bosses is only a bit of help since the bosses seem to attack randomly.  

There are also random stages that are as challenging or more so than the story mode and being random you can't use videos.  

Great game though, and on sale right now for $5 in the NA store.

I think so.  You basically can't make any mistakes for all stages. The stages are timed and you need to keep progressing or you lose your combo which counts to your score, which determines if you get Gold, which determines if you get the trophies.  

Watching youtube vids makes it look far easier than it is. Even using videos for the story mode bosses is only a bit of help since the bosses seem to attack randomly.  

There are also random stages that are as challenging or more so than the story mode and being random you can't use videos.  

Great game though, and on sale right now for $5 in the NA store.

How is it going audiopile? Made anymore progress lately?

So it's $5. That's a good deal and worth giving it a try LFDN, if you are interested.

That depends on what you find hard. I don't see any similar games on your profile, so I'm just going to compare UR plats. Since you have the Mirror's Edge plat, you should be able to plat Catherine too. Like the time trials and speedruns, Babel mode just requires practice to get familiar with the formations (which are random). Once you know how to solve them quickly, Babel becomes easier.

That depends on what you find hard. I don't see any similar games on your profile, so I'm just going to compare UR plats. Since you have the Mirror's Edge plat, you should be able to plat Catherine too. Like the time trials and speedruns, Babel mode just requires practice to get familiar with the formations (which are random). Once you know how to solve them quickly, Babel becomes easier.

I'm not sure if ME is a good comparison...

Afaik (correct me if I'm wrong), ME's time trials do require practice, but they are not randomized, so... with patience, you can solve them with muscle memory, that does not work for Babel.

You do get better at using the techniques but you can't count on the layout =D

I'm not sure if ME is a good comparison...

Afaik (correct me if I'm wrong), ME's time trials do require practice, but they are not randomized, so... with patience, you can solve them with muscle memory, that does not work for Babel.

You do get better at using the techniques but you can't count on the layout =D

I know, it was the best comparison I was able to come up with since there were no similar games on the profile. Plus I got the Mirror's Edge plat before Catherine :lol:.

How is it going audiopile? Made anymore progress lately?

So it's $5. That's a good deal and worth giving it a try LFDN, if you are interested.

Going good, but no progress in the last couple weeks.  I've been trying to sell my house and had to work out of town last week so all I managed to do was plat Wolf Among Us and chip away at KZ:M on the Vita.  Also been cleaning up some 100% games from my PS+ backlog which has been surprisingly fun.

I'm rested up now and ready for the rigors of Catherine again.  I'll be back at it tonight.

Edited by audiopile

Finally made it halfway through the extra Rapunzel stages. These levels are getting insane...

I work on the Rapunzel game when I'm hung over and use youtube and I'm not ashamed.

OK so if someone could explain how I can skip through my golded challenges I'd really appreciate it. I should have the last few stages of 9 on Normal golded tonight and then I am starting my chaos endings and would like to know how this works.  I forgot to make a save at 7-4 but I have a 7-2 I can use to knock down my meter.  Does loading an older save overwrite the golds?  How do I "skip" the nightmares?  I also missed the Text Junkie trophy (again) so I'd like to use this method to get it.  I'm not an idiot, really I'm not.

For some reason I didn't get any trophies for helping people, not sure what I did wrong there. I followed the guide but the Stray Sheep was empty on day 8 aside from the twins.

I figured out what I did wrong.  The guide on this site doesn't say to talk to any one on 7-2 and 7-3 but if you don't they won't be at the SS on the 8th day.  I found this site to be helpful for the missables:
Edited by audiopile

OK so if someone could explain how I can skip through my golded challenges I'd really appreciate it.

I might need to double check, but pretty sure that whenever the nightmare stage begins, just pause the game and select the new "Skip" option. Also, I'm not entirely sure about your older save question, but I'll try checking on my game when I get a chance. I don't recall having any problems or having to worry about that though.

EDIT: I went back and loaded an old save to check, and yes you can use an old save without losing any golds or anything. I think it's like the Rapunzel part, where it saves that info separate from your progress in old saves.

Edited by MStalker58
  • Like 1

I work on the Rapunzel game when I'm hung over and use youtube and I'm not ashamed.

OK so if someone could explain how I can skip through my golded challenges I'd really appreciate it. I should have the last few stages of 9 on Normal golded tonight and then I am starting my chaos endings and would like to know how this works.  I forgot to make a save at 7-4 but I have a 7-2 I can use to knock down my meter.  Does loading an older save overwrite the golds?  How do I "skip" the nightmares?  I also missed the Text Junkie trophy (again) so I'd like to use this method to get it.  I'm not an idiot, really I'm not.

I might need to double check, but pretty sure that whenever the nightmare stage begins, just pause the game and select the new "Skip Nightmare" option. Also, I'm not entirely sure about your older save question, but I'll try checking on my game when I get a chance. I don't recall having any problems or having to worry about that though.

The game saves prizes on a different kind of save (separate from the playthrough save file). Should you start a new game on normal, you'll have those gold, silver, and bronze awards (whichever is the highest) for all stages in your cellphone records. So once you have a gold prize, you can press :start: and choose "Skip" (last option) when playing on the same difficulty you got the gold prize on. Afterwards you'll be at the landings in-between stages, so it's possible to talk to the sheeps. Reloading an older save does not overwrite the gold prizes (tested this myself).

I figured out what I did wrong.  The guide on this site doesn't say to talk to any one on 7-2 and 7-3 but if you don't they won't be at the SS on the 8th day.  I found this site to be helpful for the missables:

Lol, don't worry, I followed a video too to get the Rapunzel stages over with.

For the Everyday Hero trophy I used the gameplay guide from .org that's in the OP. That one tells you exactly what to do on every day and I got the trophy during my first playthrough.

• Like 1

The game saves prizes on a different kind of save (separate from the playthrough save file). Should you start a new game on normal, you'll have those gold, silver, and bronze awards (whichever is the highest) for all stages in your cellphone records. So once you have a gold prize, you can press :start: and choose "Skip" (last option) when playing on the same difficulty you got the gold prize on. Afterwards you'll be at the landings in-between stages, so it's possible to talk to the sheeps. Reloading an older save does not overwrite the gold prizes (tested this myself).

Dragon with the  :ninja: while I loaded my game to double check and edit my post.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info on skipping Nightmares guys!  Managed to finish off the Chaos endings on normal fairly painlessly, although that Thomas Mutton is a cheap bastard  :devil:

Oh, and the True Cheater ending was mind blowing.  

All story related trophies (except Golden Child) should be cleaned up tonight and the on to Babel.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info on skipping Nightmares guys!  Managed to finish off the Chaos endings on normal fairly painlessly, although that Thomas Mutton is a cheap bastard  :devil:

Oh, and the True Cheater ending was mind blowing.  

All story related trophies (except Golden Child) should be cleaned up tonight and the on to Babel.

Nice, congrats. I found the True Cheater ending the funniest one. Definitely my favourite one.

These Babel levels are...    wow.   So hard.   Not frustrating just really tough.  Much more difficult than any level of soundshapes, lol.  I may reached my gaming skills limit with this game. :(  I will keep at it but there are only so many hours one can pour into a game without progress.

These Babel levels are...    wow.   So hard.   Not frustrating just really tough.  Much more difficult than any level of soundshapes, lol.  I may reached my gaming skills limit with this game. :(  I will keep at it but there are only so many hours one can pour into a game without progress.

It's all about practice. Once you start to recognize the patterns, it gets easier.