A Fledgling Trophy Hunter's Conundrum

awf9495

I know many of you are seasoned veteran's on the trophy trail, but I imagine there are other rookies such as myself that only started caring about trophies relatively recently.  I imagine a few of you, like me, are also struggling with how to best tackle your libraries of platinum-less games.

Personally, I didn't care about trophies prior to 2015 and had but one platinum to my name thanks to The Walking Dead. Since then, I have at least improved. The conundrum lies in what to do with the 5 years worth of titles played prior to 2015 where I didn't so much as glance at a trophy list?  What to do with the 35,000 gamer score worth of titles played on the Xbox 360 last gen (how I would love to see the Elder Scrolls, Fallouts, and Mass Effects on my profile)?  How have those of you in a similar situation balanced replaying old favorites or switching systems, yet still making time for the latest and greatest?  

I'm leaning toward just drawing a line in the sand as of January 1st, 2015 and not worrying about anything that came before, but I would certainly like to hear how others have decided to tackle a similar situation.

I'm only playing PS4 games one at a time until I'm *done.* If I want to play a second game at the same time, I play a PS3/Vita/PSP game from my backlog. 

Excellent strategy and one that I have kind of been following (though *done* for me varies from a platinum to beating the campaign depending on how much I like the game).  I typically have a PS4 and Vita game going at the same time.

Play the one's you know you'll have fun with first.

Great advice, though I probably should extend that to "play the new games you know you'll have fun with first", as 100 hours into something I haven't played yet like Fallout 4 would probably be time better spent than putting 100 hours into a game I've already played on the 360 like Fallout 3 or Skyrim.

Excellent strategy and one that I have kind of been following (though *done* for me varies from a platinum to beating the campaign depending on how much I like the game).  I typically have a PS4 and Vita game going at the same time.

Yup, I was *done* with Tron before I even got really started. That's why I didn't say get the Platinum. Learn when the time invested just isn't worth it and call it a loss. It's not a defeat.

• Like 2

Look for a games and game series that you personally enjoy and go for them. I really enjoyed playing Fallout so I went off to platinum all 3 of them :P

Congratulations!  That is quite an achievement.  I see you platinumed 3 and New Vegas fairly recently.  How have they aged?  I know there is a reputation that Bethesda games and the PS3 don't exactly play nice with each other.

Yup, I was *done* with Tron before I even got really started. That's why I didn't say get the Platinum. Learn when the time invested just isn't worth it and call it a loss. It's not a defeat.

That makes way too much sense.  I sometimes spend longer with a title that I really should for the sake of trophies and really need to let go at times.

I know many of you are seasoned veteran's on the trophy trail, but I imagine there are other rookies such as myself that only started caring about trophies relatively recently.  I imagine a few of you, like me, are also struggling with how to best tackle your libraries of platinum-less games.

Personally, I didn't care about trophies prior to 2015 and had but one platinum to my name thanks to The Walking Dead. Since then, I have at least improved. The conundrum lies in what to do with the 5 years worth of titles played prior to 2015 where I didn't so much as glance at a trophy list?  What to do with the 35,000 gamer score worth of titles played on the Xbox 360 last gen (how I would love to see the Elder Scrolls, Fallouts, and Mass Effects on my profile)?  How have those of you in a similar situation balanced replaying old favorites or switching systems, yet still making time for the latest and greatest?  

I'm leaning toward just drawing a line in the sand as of January 1st, 2015 and not worrying about anything that came before, but I would certainly like to hear how others have decided to tackle a similar situation.

Was sort of similar for me as well. I came from clan xbox last gen. I put the Skyrim/Mass Effect plats on my profile but I did it over time. Not entirely intentional but it all worked out eventually. Largely in part to playing a season in the trophy hunters league that Wdjat Prinny Dood runs. Helped motivate me to get them completed and off my to do list. Skyrim ran a bit better on PS3 than Fallout does but will still stutter and dip in framerate. I'd leave the Fallout to 4 on PS4 if you can manage. The rest of the ones from xbox (Dead Space and Borderlands series for me personally) have taken a backseat and play them sparingly in favor of games like Kingdom Hearts or something I hadn't played at all.

If your the organized type, you might look into making a spreadsheet or a google doc to organize them and then considering how you wish to divide your time. Splitting up a week or a month or if you want to finish one game before moving between consoles.

Edited by Not_like_therest

When I started, I had more than 100 games on my profile, only 2 plats, and a less than 20% completion rate. What I did, was just keep playing games I picked up, but focusing on trophies. When I'd run out of new stuff, I'd go back to old games I already played, and got the trophies for them. Or, at least got some of the easy ones. I never forced myself to plat or 100% a game I thought was truly terrible, just because it was on my profile. This worked for me, so hopefully it helps you out in some way.

Edited by ExHaseo

Congratulations!  That is quite an achievement.  I see you platinumed 3 and New Vegas fairly recently.  How have they aged?  I know there is a reputation that Bethesda games and the PS3 don't exactly play nice with each other.

That makes way too much sense.  I sometimes spend longer with a title that I really should for the sake of trophies and really need to let go at times.

I platinumed New Vegas last year :P I've just been going for the dlc trophies. I think there pretty good on Playstaion. The only issues i've had with New Vegas and 3 and the Game of The Year editions since they lag really bad..  But if you get the normal one with no dlcs then it works pretty well.

• Like 1

My advice is if any of the previous games you've already played some seem like they'd be fun for you to plat then I'd say go for it.

Or if getting the platinum in a game that you've played before on the 360 seems like it would be fun to do then go for it, especially if it's a game you enjoy too. I've completed several games, either here, on the 360 side or even both sides in some cases, that I have every intention of completing again on this ID just because I enjoy the games.

Trophy hunting can be fun, especially if you're working on a game that not many will attempt to complete, but don't let it be the reason you're playing a game or revisiting previously played games.

Hopefully all that made sense.

• Like 1

When I got more serious about it I made a list of games I had on my profile. I put them in priority categories like: definitely, probably, maybe and neverinamillionyears. I found making a definite plan for gaming really turned me off so I just play what feels right when it'd tinr to start a new one. I try to Irish 2 games for every one I start, but every now and again I'll binge and start like 4 new games. 

Don't be afraid to take a break from a game. If it needs multiple runs or a long grind or gets frustrating or just boring, move along until the game calls you back to it. 

You can also sort your profile by completion % and take the ones you're closest on for starters. 

Good luck a d have fun. 

• Like 1

Was sort of similar for me as well. I came from clan xbox last gen. I put the Skyrim/Mass Effect plats on my profile but I did it over time. Not entirely intentional but it all worked out eventually. Largely in part to playing a season in the trophy hunters league that Wdjat Prinny Dood runs. Helped motivate me to get them completed and off my to do list. Skyrim ran a bit better on PS3 than Fallout does but will still stutter and dip in framerate. I'd leave the Fallout to 4 on PS4 if you can manage. The rest of the ones from xbox (Dead Space and Borderlands series for me personally) have taken a backseat and play them sparingly in favor of games like Kingdom Hearts or something I hadn't played at all.

If your the organized type, you might look into making a spreadsheet or a google doc to organize them and then considering how you wish to divide your time. Splitting up a week or a month or if you want to finish one game before moving between co

As long as it's playable, I'm not too worried about framerate when it comes to Fallout - all VATS all the time. That is good motivation indeed.  I wonder if anyone would be interested in some kind of Procrastinator's Trophy hunt or something similar, where the stipulation is that you can't have played the game in the last two years or it is a replay from a previous system.  Not sure how many around here meet those qualifications with their games like I do.

I am a spreadsheet junkie, so it really is a wonder that I haven't created one for replays (though I have ones for backlog, games I've finished, games I want to purchase, etc.).  That is good advice.

When I started, I had more than 100 games on my profile, only 2 plats, and a less than 20% completion rate. What I did, was just keep playing games I picked up, but focusing on trophies. When I'd run out of new stuff, I'd go back to old games I already played, and got the trophies for them. Or, at least got some of the easy ones. I never forced myself to plat or 100% a game I thought was truly terrible, just because it was on my profile. This worked for me, so hopefully it helps you out in some way.

Congratulations on getting that completion rate up so high from where you started.  That is incredible!  That seems like advice that would work for me as well, though I don't know that I will ever run out of new games as I can't remember the last time I didn't have a backlog.

My advice is if any of the previous games you've already played some seem like they'd be fun for you to plat then I'd say go for it.

Or if getting the platinum in a game that you've played before on the 360 seems like it would be fun to do then go for it, especially if it's a game you enjoy too. I've completed several games, either here, on the 360 side or even both sides in some cases, that I have every intention of completing again on this ID just because I enjoy the games.

Trophy hunting can be fun, especially if you're working on a game that not many will attempt to complete, but don't let it be the reason you're playing a game or revisiting previously played games.

Hopefully all that made sense.

That makes perfect sense.  Replay games if you want to replay them outside of trophies, but don't do it just for the trophies.  Sage advice and it really gets me thinking - would I even be contemplating replays if trophies weren't involved?  Hmmm.....

I made this account when I got my PS4 - therefore I have 50 odd games for the PS3 which I haven't even implemented on the account yet. I'm gonna platinum all my PS4 and Vita games, then make a return to the PS3

That is the strategy I have taken over the last year and change and it has worked pretty well, but I do wonder if it is the best approach for me.  Gotta love first world problems, right?

When I got more serious about it I made a list of games I had on my profile. I put them in priority categories like: definitely, probably, maybe and neverinamillionyears. I found making a definite plan for gaming really turned me off so I just play what feels right when it'd tinr to start a new one. I try to Irish 2 games for every one I start, but every now and again I'll binge and start like 4 new games. 

Don't be afraid to take a break from a game. If it needs multiple runs or a long grind or gets frustrating or just boring, move along until the game calls you back to it. 

You can also sort your profile by completion % and take the ones you're closest on for starters. 

Good luck a d have fun. 

The organized approach may work better for me than it did for you.  Guess it can't hurt to try and I can always go back do doing what you are doing and just pick what sounds good in the moment.

Thanks for the tips on sorting.  I didn't know I could even do that and may go back and see what might be fun to revisit.

Thanks!

As long as it's playable, I'm not too worried about framerate when it comes to Fallout - all VATS all the time. That is good motivation indeed.  I wonder if anyone would be interested in some kind of Procrastinator's Trophy hunt or something similar, where the stipulation is that you can't have played the game in the last two years or it is a replay from a previous system.  Not sure how many around here meet those qualifications with their games like I do.

I am a spreadsheet junkie, so it really is a wonder that I haven't created one for replays (though I have ones for backlog, games I've finished, games I want to purchase, etc.).  That is good advice.

Well thats the thing. Fallout 3 is practically unplayable once you hit the 10mb save. Its better if you empty the cache every time you start the game up when you begin playing. Then its recommended to turn autosave off when you hit 10mb. I could only do 2 of the dlcs on 1 save file unlike on xbox. Because it just kept lagging and stuttering, iirc I toughed it out until I hit 13 or 14 mb but it was difficult. And you can't use VATS just walking around, which is where you have problems.

I haven't even attempted NV because I played it on xbox and while ok, it didn't grab me the same way and I still had this bug where one of the bosses on the dlc wouldn't die, I'd get him down to half or so and he kept regenerating no matter how many grenades, bullets, plasma cells etc I shot him with, even in VATS. So I passed on the PS game because I knew how many others I had to play. 

I have a similar sort of system to Hemiaks idea in my trophy checklist backlog category. Desire and probability color coded for the plat, how much more I want to finish/ acquire trophies even if I don't plat the game. My percentages haven't been updated in awhile, but I still make sure to cross off the ones I sold or traded. Remind myself that I'm done and had all the fun I wanted from the game.