worth the purchase?

Stargazer2600

So do to my new job i can finally start building my PS4 collection. there isnt much i want this year but i am thinking MKXL. Now i watched reviews by angry joe and even talked to some personal friends and i get mixed reviews. some say its worth it (especially XL) some say its not and some say it is but wait till the price really drops cause its not worth full retail.

Trophies look like they could be a real pain in the ass, especially the online ones. but the pull to play as jason, alien, leatherface and predator is really great. Just curious on what you all think. i enjoyed 9 for quite a while but i also been told MKX is really full of try hards and most people wont even let you have a chance (kinda lame) but on the other side im told the story follows 9 (kinda) and has lots of humor.

thoughts?

• Like 1

If you enjoyed MK9, why not 10? The graphics are kinda cool, gameplay is awesome. I mean, yes the game is worth the purchase.

Just get it. 

NOTE: If you want, you can first play the game for fun, get to know it, etc. Then you can unlock all trophies to the plat. :)  :)

So do to my new job i can finally start building my PS4 collection. there isnt much i want this year but i am thinking MKXL. Now i watched reviews by angry joe and even talked to some personal friends and i get mixed reviews. some say its worth it (especially XL) some say its not and some say it is but wait till the price really drops cause its not worth full retail.

Trophies look like they could be a real pain in the ass, especially the online ones. but the pull to play as jason, alien, leatherface and predator is really great. Just curious on what you all think. i enjoyed 9 for quite a while but i also been told MKX is really full of try hards and most people wont even let you have a chance (kinda lame) but on the other side im told the story follows 9 (kinda) and has lots of humor.

thoughts?

Rent it from somewhere, play the living shit out of it, and if you still want it after a week, then grab it. Try before you buy.

I totally forgot about renting games until I got my PS4 in December. If you live in the US, the internet sucks in enough places that video stores still exist and most still have video games. Take a look around, I'm sure you'll find one. You'll probably get about 3 days for $6 or so or $10 for a week. Enough to see if it's worth a purchase.

Gamefly/other services are also an option, but have a higher monthly cost if you only do one game occasionally.

If you liked 9, you'll like this one. It's more of the same in terms of gameplay. I haven't even touched the story yet, so I can't speak on that. But the game is fun. It's pretty much exactly what I expected it to be.

The XL version is $60 right? Considering you get 8 new characters and a bunch of costumes, I'd say it's worth it. As for the online, it's way more stable than 9 was. You still have rooms, King of the Hill, and regular versus matches. Like any other fighting game, the amount of lag you get depends entirely on the connection of you and your opponent.

I enjoyed MK9, but MKX? Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more fun. I got it mainly for Jason since I love the Friday the 13th series and was not disappointed. I ended up buying the XL DLC since I wanted Leatherface and the Xenomorph, and uh, more trophies.

The tryhards mainly stick to King of the Hill but you might run into one in Ranked matches. I don't do much online, but in Ranked, I only ran into one person who completely shut me down (my very first match too, but they didn't taunt me after the match or anything). The rest were close matches in terms of skill.

• Like 1

i think it has skill-based matchmaking.

Match-making for me has been really random. In chasing the Dropping Fools trophy I found getting paired with people ranging from level 10 to 70, with sporadic win/loss records. I was around level 66 at the time. One of the most aggravating things about their match-making is it seems to be smart to you and a friend in your area trying to get paired. A friend and me tried all night to get matched in ranked mode. We were mic'd and perfectly coordinated in searching for an opponent at the same time. Didn't matter if we tried at 9pm or 5am. We would see some of the same people multiple times, but never once found each other. Methinks it is programmed to overlook people extremely close to you.

Match-making for me has been really random. In chasing the Dropping Fools trophy I found getting paired with people ranging from level 10 to 70, with sporadic win/loss records. I was around level 66 at the time. One of the most aggravating things about their match-making is it seems to be smart to you and a friend in your area trying to get paired. A friend and me tried all night to get matched in ranked mode. We were mic'd and perfectly coordinated in searching for an opponent at the same time. Didn't matter if we tried at 9pm or 5am. We would see some of the same people multiple times, but never once found each other. Methinks it is programmed to overlook people extremely close to you.

benefit to having psnprofiles then lol

• 2 weeks later...

The game is really good if you want to know the story further.I do prefer mk 9 and older games story but the game play mechanics fighting and all that in mk x is really fun. The graphics are awesome and amazing! The faction stuff is fun and addicting kinda. Only problem is that I love the dlc characters but I want more old mk characters that we know and love as dlc! Lol :3

But the mk x story mode is really good but there little flaws to it I felt.

The game is fun but Trophy wise, its a huge grind

I spent a little over 3 weeks straight and about 80hours worth of play time to get the platinum, I also needed a few friends to boost the respect points with, the 10 consecutive ranked online wins was painful too but it's manageable with the usb save exploit

The graphics are awesome, the fatalities and xrays are fun but if it's trophies you're after..there's a reason why it's an ultra rare platinum..reaching level 50 in all 5 factions, personal rank 65, collecting 50 kombat modifiers and the online trophies take a long time and if you wanna do it faster than some, you will need 3-4 friends to help with those 1,000 respect points..the online consists of pros who have mastered every character and every combo, beating them will be a real feat in itself..and getting them to give you points is another task, most random opponents like to jip you on points