PS VR Tops Brand Awareness Survey Over VR Rivals

smellslikejavier

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2016/04/12/playstation-vr-boasts-lions-share-of-brand-awareness-over-rivals/

playstationvrmarch20161.jpg

PlayStation VR currently boasts the most brand awareness when compared to its virtual reality competition, according to retail analyst SuperData.
A recent report conducted on the emerging market reveals that “PSVR will be this year’s winner when it comes to high-end devices, taking on 69% of PC and console’s combined shipment totals this year.”
Citing accessibility, competitive pricing and Sony’s relationship with retailers as key factors, the outlet also published figures that gauge the level of interest from consumers. Here, SuperData revealed the following:

• 6M Americans say they intend to purchase a PlayStation VR this year versus 5M for Oculus Rift and 2M for the HTC Vive; however, production will not be able to fulfill PC headset demand at the current rate.
  • 28% of Americans have heard of PlayStation VR versus 22% for Oculus Rift, 21% for Samsung Gear VR and just 5% for the HTC Vive.
  • 52% are uninterested in purchasing a device or do not know what VR is, only 16% are sure they will purchase a device at some point.
  • 26% say devices are too expensive.
  • 49% have not heard of any headset brands.

PlayStation VR is currently on course for a worldwide release in October.

I still think that the vr headsets are designed to make you more insular and withdrawn.

The whole point of virtual reality is to cut you off from reality and the only safe place for that is in you living room, if you live alone.

But no doubt come Christmas I will be itching to get one of them!

That Nielsen survey is of "gamers" but the other report doesnt detail who SuperData surveyed for theirs.

Neither details how many were in the survey or how they were chosen. I cant imagine that 6 million people actually said they were going to buy a PSVR unit this year.

There is also little detail on who paid either Neilsen or Superdata to carry out the survey.

There is also little detail on who paid either Neilsen or Superdata to carry out the survey.

I doubt that has much to do with it.

Honestly, these days I wouldn't trust Nielsen too much. Like Gallup, their polling methods remain firmly entrenched in the 1950s (e.g. they skew incredibly old, and often less technical, still utilizing basic methods like paper and phone, which are positively anachronistic today). On the other hand, random internet surveys can rarely be trusted, either. 

I can't believe people get paid to speculate. Analysts have anal in their names for a reason. Aside from making money from the manufacturers by giving them "data", this type of speculation is completely arbitrary. I wish it weren't so commonplace. Of course this is all just part of these companies marketing budgets. 

That said, I can't wait for actual sales numbers to get released. Even then, I wish the initial scum resellers numbers could be removed from overall sales, but since a unit sold to them generally ends up in the hands of someone who wants one, I supposed it's a valid sale.

I believe that Sony's market is initially larger than everyone else and Sony will have higher sales after the first year. Samsung has the potential to develop iterations more quickly, as they can come out with V2 that only uses, say 2 brand new phone models (S8/S8edge), but should be behind all the others in capability, since they run completely off phones.

It's an exciting time for VR. There is more real stuff happening than has ever happened in VR before. Now they need to just not screw it up!

I believe that Sony's market is initially larger than everyone else and Sony will have higher sales after the first year. 

I think I read somewhere that there's only an estimated 17m PCs out "in the wild" that could run even the Occulus. Compared to that, the 45-50 million PS4s that Sony should have sold by October, when the VR launches, suggest that it has the largest potential market to tap into.

The real decider is going to be software, IMO. Devs might also find it easier to develop for Sony's fixed hardware (PS4K rumours notwithstanding) compared to the variations inherent in the PC space. If PSVR gets off to a good start, we could see it being the platform of choice for devs that want to dip their toes in the VR market.

Well the PSVR is our last hope for a decent and fun VR experience, if PSVR falls short at that, Sony may as well just forget about it. Also Sony did talk about the possibility to make it compatible with PCs (Maybe Macs as well), so that could also eat into Vive's and Rift's lunch if there not careful.

The only way I could see Rift doing any damage would be that the Rift is compatible with the Xbox 1.5 (If it exists) out the box and a price cut.   

Well the PSVR is our last hope for a decent and fun VR experience, if PSVR falls short at that, Sony may as well just forget about it. Also Sony did talk about the possibility to make it compatible with PCs (Maybe Macs as well), so that could also eat into Vive's and Rift's lunch if there not careful.

The only way I could see Rift doing any damage would be that the Rift is compatible with the Xbox 1.5 (If it exists) out the box and a price cut.   

Maybe that's part of Microsoft's "Run everything on everything else Windows 10 and Xbox is Windows 10" plan.

Somehow, I feel that would completely alienate those people that have spent the money to be able to meet the PC requirements for VR if a few hundred dollar box is able to run the same software. 

Somehow, I feel that would completely alienate those people that have spent the money to be able to meet the PC requirements for VR if a few hundred dollar box is able to run the same software. 

I totally agree with you but I doubt it would alienate anyone. The recommended specs for the Rift on PC ARE for people who have no problem reaching such requirements and know that they will be getting decent/top performance. Xbox 1.5 probably won't be able to reach a level like that thus creating a more affordable but inferior version of VR. That will give the customer two choices, go with the recommended specs and have top performance VR or go with the XB1.5 and have decent but not high end VR.

It's all about how the situation is presented to the consumer.

I just really hope PSVR is our answer to decent VR!

Edited by FlareXV

It's all about how the situation is presented to the consumer.

As we have learned, it doesn't matter how things are presented to the consumer. Initial gut reactions to perceptions become the truth and are shouted from the rooftops with pitchforks and torches. Facts be damned!! Look at how Sony got rid of all the software on the Vita and hobbled it so it can't even play games anymore. Look at how Sony has stopped selling Vitas in Japan. Look at how PS4K is already playing 4K 120hz games and everyone who doesn't have one can't play any new games. It doesn't end.

As we have learned, it doesn't matter how things are presented to the consumer. Initial gut reactions to perceptions become the truth and are shouted from the rooftops with pitchforks and torches. Facts be damned!! Look at how Sony got rid of all the software on the Vita and hobbled it so it can't even play games anymore. Look at how Sony has stopped selling Vitas in Japan. Look at how PS4K is already playing 4K 120hz games and everyone who doesn't have one can't play any new games. It doesn't end.

I agree but I think the PSVR has been presented in a decent way, no consumer can complain at what Sony is offering. I can't see the PSVR flopping unless the platform is awful and completely worthless to developers. 

I agree but I think the PSVR has been presented in a decent way, no consumer can complain at what Sony is offering. I can't see the PSVR flopping unless the platform is awful and completely worthless to developers. 

I was mainly referring to your speculation about Occulus making a VR compatible with Xbox 1.5.