Rockstar has "tremendous success" with PS2 titles on PS4

smellslikejavier

Nothing special. GTA dominated on the ps2.. strange we haven't saw the NFS saga as well!

That's probably because Sony hasn't made a deal with EA yet to release their PS2 games. That's why they are mostly releasing Sony and Rockstar's games only, and apparently Rockstar was the first company they had in mind to make a deal with them and release their PS2 library, giving that their games were extremely popular in that era.

So we probably won't see any NFS game for now, until Sony decides to bring more publishers onto the PS2 emulation wagon and thus their games. Maybe they might be doing that right now! but even so it'll take some time before we can see them being released, because it takes like 2-3 months to add trophy support, test them, etc like some Sony's employee said when this whole PS2 emulation on PS4 started.

Rockstar needs to put out Manhunt 2 and Red Dead Revolver

Yeah I would love to see them too! although Manhunt 2 wasn't released as a PS2 Classic last gen and apparently Red Dead Revolver was removed from the Store for some reason. Still, hope that they changed their minds this time and decide to release them with trophy support! :)

Edited by Finozzi1696
  • Like 1

If it was so absolutely awesome then why didn't you bought it giving that is now available on PS4 since months ago? or did you just wanted to get some likes for your comment?

Its alright buddy, you can make alts, you can try and pretend your someone else, but sooner or later your natural habits show up. I really hoped as you got older (i mean your plenty old already, but time changes ppl still) you'd mature and become more chilled out. Holding grudges is unhealthy and blaming everyone for your problems is never going to help. I know what you feel towards me is more love than hate anyway, especially given the reason you stopped wanting to talk to me. So I genuinely cannot take any attempted aggression seriously, posts through tears don't really have the same impact.

I genuinely hope you are getting the help you need. I do hope you told your friends here who you really are, because you always said you never had friends, but i always saw you had plenty of people who at least liked to talk to you on this forum. If you ask them for help they will give it.

Take care, I really don't wish to have a pointless conversation where you pretend you don't know what i'm talking about. Still no hard feelings and no need to do your characteristic wall of text rant.

Back on topic. I got the game on PS2 and PS3, my main point was it was a IMO the best rockstar game that everyone should play, I was also super hyped for MUA 1 and 2 but i havent bought those yet. I might buy it in this sale but honestly I got other games i'm playing so I won't put the time in it just yet.

EDIT: I have zero interest in discussing who this is so don't ask.

Edited by Superbuu3

Its alright buddy, you can make alts, you can try and pretend your someone else, but sooner or later your natural habits show up. I really hoped as you got older (i mean your plenty old already, but time changes ppl still) you'd mature and become more chilled out. Holding grudges is unhealthy and blaming everyone for your problems is never going to help. I know what you feel towards me is more love than hate anyway, especially given the reason you stopped wanting to talk to me. So I genuinely cannot take any attempted aggression seriously, posts through tears don't really have the same impact.

I genuinely hope you are getting the help you need. I do hope you told your friends here who you really are, because you always said you never had friends, but i always saw you had plenty of people who at least liked to talk to you on this forum. If you ask them for help they will give it.

Take care, I really don't wish to have a pointless conversation where you pretend you don't know what i'm talking about. Still no hard feelings and no need to do your characteristic wall of text rant.

Back on topic. I got the game on PS2 and PS3, my main point was it was a IMO the best rockstar game that everyone should play, I was also super hyped for MUA 1 and 2 but i havent bought those yet. I might buy it in this sale but honestly I got other games i'm playing so I won't put the time in it just yet.

EDIT: I have zero interest in discussing who this is so don't ask.

I seriously have no idea what was that all about. I've never talked to you before so don't put me in the middle of whatever soup-opera you are on.

Is not the first time with this PS2 emulations that I saw someone saying "I can't wait to play this game" and months after I go into his/her profile to see if they bought it, and it turns out they didn't.

Reason being that I want to keep seeing people buying this PS2 emulations so Sony can keep making more and more of them, Take-Two said they are being successful so I'm hoping that it stays that way. I might be mean at times but like I said I just want people to buy them, either at full price or on sales. Hope you can get it on the sale then.

Edited by Gevirein

Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne please then I would be satisfied.

there's a ps2 wishlist thread on this site, with more than 700 replies from many users, and if you want you can participate on it and say what ps2 games you would like to see next on ps4 (and with trophy/platinum support): http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/33146-wishlist-of-ps2-games-on-ps4/

Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne please then I would be satisfied.

I think they are staggering the releases so the games don't cannibalise the others sales.

I seriously have no idea what was that all about. I've never talked to you before so don't put me in the middle of whatever soup-opera you are on.

Is not the first time with this PS2 emulations that I saw someone saying "I can't wait to play this game" and months after I go into his/her profile to see if they bought it, and it turns out they didn't.

Reason being that I want to keep seeing people buying this PS2 emulations so Sony can keep making more and more of them, Take-Two said they are being successful so I'm hoping that it stays that way. I might be mean at times but like I said I just want people to buy them, either at full price or on sales. Hope you can get it on the sale then.

I'm not interested and you should probably not draw attention to yourself, as I'm guessing you didn't make this alt just to try and talk to me again. BTW dude its really obvious. Anyway adding you to my ignore list now.

I'm not interested and you should probably not draw attention to yourself, as I'm guessing you didn't make this alt just to try and talk to me again. BTW dude its really obvious. Anyway adding you to my ignore list now.

I've never talked to you before and I don't have any interest on knowing what was that all about. You're already on my ignore list since yesterday.

Shame Max Payne isn't up there. Hopefully it's doing well enough so that they think about bringing 2 to PS4 (I'd prefer the much better PC version though, so it really wouldn't be a "PS2" Classic).

if they ever bring max payne 2 it'll obviously going to be the ps2 version, just like with max payne 1. this is a ps2 emulation after all, not a pc emulation.

max payne 1 isn't doing bad on its own, but looking at its ratings on the ps store and comparing them to other rockstar's ps2 games on ps4 is the "least successful" of all of them. and you can only rate a game after you've purchased it.

for example, their most successful game is san andreas with over 11.676 ratings (a VERY impressive number) on the european ps store -and a similar number on the NA one-, meanwhile max payne 1 "only" has 498 ratings.

like i said is not doing bad on its own, considering that since this ps2 emulation takes little money investment to make then just by selling, let's say, 100 copies of it they already start making profit out of them so it shouldn't be seen as a failure, but its clearly their least successful one, considering that the warriors came out months after max payne and it already has way more ratings than that one, with over 1.551 ratings on the european ps store.

obviously the ratings should only be taken as reference and not be seen as their total sales, considering there are many people who never bothers to rate them.

max payne 2 was actually a failure on sales across all platforms on its original release. according to wikipedia: "Despite the positive reception, the game sold poorly, leading Rockstar Games' parent company Take-Two Interactive to cite Max Payne 2's sales as a cause for the company's reforecast finances of 2004."

this might be the reason as to why we didn't saw max payne 2 as a ps2 classics on ps3 last gen, and considering that max payne 1 is currently their least successful ps2 emulation (although, like i said, is not doing bad at all on its own, if we don't compare it to the other ones) that just kind of decrease the chances to see a ps2 emulation of max payne 2, but you never know, maybe sony can somehow "force them" to re-release it, hopefully alongside manhunt 2 which also didn't got a ps2 classics release on ps3, probably 'cause of all the controversy it had on its original release.

heh, of course they're the top seller. There's barely anybody else doing PS2 classics.

that's true, but take two not only said that they were the top seller, but that their games were selling extremely well, which can give them a great motivation to keep releasing more and more ps2 emulations of their games on ps4, with trophy/platinum support of course.

and while sony and rockstar are currently the mainly publishers of this emulations, there are already other companies that jumped into the ps2 emulation wagon, like quantic dream, SNK, disney interactive studios and D3 publisher: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_games_for_PlayStation_4

hopefully sony continues to bring more publishers soon.

Edited by smellslikejavier

if they ever bring max payne 2 it'll obviously going to be the ps2 version, just like with max payne 1. this is a ps2 emulation after all, not a pc emulation.

max payne 1 isn't doing bad on its own, but looking at its ratings on the ps store and comparing them to other rockstar's ps2 games on ps4 is the "least successful" of all of them. and you can only rate a game after you've purchased it.

for example, their most successful game is san andreas with over 11.676 ratings (a VERY impressive number) on the european ps store -and a similar number on the NA one-, meanwhile max payne 1 "only" has 498 ratings.

like i said is not doing bad on its own, considering that since this ps2 emulation takes little money investment to make then just by selling, let's say, 100 copies of it they already start making profit out of them so it shouldn't be seen as a failure, but its clearly their least successful one, considering that the warriors came out months after max payne and it already has way more ratings than that one, with over 1.551 ratings on the european ps store.

obviously the ratings should only be taken as reference and not be seen as their total sales, considering there are many people who never bothers to rate them.

max payne 2 was actually a failure on sales across all platforms on its original release. according to wikipedia: "Despite the positive reception, the game sold poorly, leading Rockstar Games' parent company Take-Two Interactive to cite Max Payne 2's sales as a cause for the company's reforecast finances of 2004."

this might be the reason as to why we didn't saw max payne 2 as a ps2 classics on ps3 last gen, and considering that max payne 1 is currently their least successful ps2 emulation (although, like i said, is not doing bad at all on its own, if we don't compare it to the other ones) that just kind of decrease the chances to see a ps2 emulation of max payne 2, but you never know, maybe sony can somehow "force them" to re-release it, hopefully alongside manhunt 2 which also didn't got a ps2 classics release on ps3, probably 'cause of all the controversy it had on its original release.

Hence why I put quotes around the PS2 part in my post and just said I'd prefer that alternative; I'd never expect it based on their record of opting to emulate instead of remaster their other games for this gen. Doubt Sony could or would force their hand to port it, and I'm aware of its dismal sales, but "hopefully" was the key word from my original post. We probably won't ever see this game ported in any way to PS4, but a man game dream.

Hence why I put quotes around the PS2 part in my post and just said I'd prefer that alternative; I'd never expect it based on their record of opting to emulate instead of remaster their other games for this gen. Doubt Sony could or would force their hand to port it, and I'm aware of its dismal sales, but "hopefully" was the key word from my original post. We probably won't ever see this game ported in any way to PS4, but a man game dream.

thankfully they are opting to emulate them now instead of remastering them, giving that the later takes much more time and resources (money) to make, and so for that reason they only chose to remaster games that were highly popular like what they did with the ps2 remaster on ps3 (shadow of the colossus, ratchet and clank, god of war, sly, jak and daxter, etc...) to be sure to secure sales and profits.

now with this ps2 emulation they can chose any game they want, popular or not, and they'll still earn many profits from it giving that it doesn't take much money to make them, so just by selling some copies they already start making profit out of them, which like i said gives them the opportunity to chose any unpopular game (like what they did with kinetica, okage, war of the monsters, fantavision, etc....) and not just stick with the popular or successful ones like when they did remasters.

is pretty clear that sony made a deal with rockstar to release many of their ps2 games, hence why we got many of their ps2 games alongside games that were published by sony themselves on that gen and other publishers. if they do have some influence on rockstar's choices or not i don't know, but seeing that they emulated some very obscure and unpopular games from sony like the ones i mentioned before i don't see a reason as to why they couldn't at least ask rockstar to release the ones that weren't released last gen, seeing as how sony has also emulated ps2 games that didn't got a "ps2 classics" version on ps3 before, so there's a chance for manhunt 2 and max payne 2.

that's true, but take two not only said that they were the top seller, but that their games were selling extremely well, which can give them a great motivation to keep releasing more and more ps2 emulations of their games on ps4, with trophy/platinum support of course.

and while sony and rockstar are currently the mainly publishers of this emulations, there are already other companies that jumped into the ps2 emulation wagon, like quantic dream, SNK, disney interactive studios and D3 publisher: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_games_for_PlayStation_4

hopefully sony continues to bring more publishers soon.

Yeah, that is a good point. I don't know if there are even any more good Rockstar PS2 games that haven't been re-released for PS4, but if they're announcing their sales are really good maybe that could encourage some other publishers jump aboard. I'd personally love to see Koei get involved.

Yeah, that is a good point. I don't know if there are even any more good Rockstar PS2 games that haven't been re-released for PS4, but if they're announcing their sales are really good maybe that could encourage some other publishers jump aboard. I'd personally love to see Koei get involved.

of course there are still more good rockstar's ps2 games that hasn't been re-released on ps4 yet!

this is a list of all the remaining ps2 games published by rockstar, and for that reason they can have a ps4 re-release in the future:

1. Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
  2. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories
  3. Oni
  4. Manhunt 2
  5. Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
  6. Midnight Club: Street Racing
  7. Midnight Club 2
  8. Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition
  9. Red Dead Revolver
  10. Smuggler's Run
  11. Smuggler's Run 2: Hostile Territory
  12. State of Emergency
  13. Surfing H30

except for that surfing game i think all the other ones have a chance to come to ps4. in my opinion both GTA Stories are the ones with the most chances to be re-released giving that the GTA Trilogy (also including Bully/Canis Canem Edit since it has a strong GTA gameplay and open world) are their most successful ps2 releases on ps4, so i'm sure there are many people who would like to experience the official GTA 3 and Vice City's prequels.

like you said, hopefully we'll see more and more publishers soon.

I've been guilty of that a few times myself. The theory of the purchase sounds better than the actuality.  :lol:

But with that being said, I have purchased the main one I wanted (DC2), after a sale, and I certainly want to see more titles out there.

I've been guilty of that a few times myself. The theory of the purchase sounds better than the actuality.  :lol:

But with that being said, I have purchased the main one I wanted (DC2), after a sale, and I certainly want to see more titles out there.

Ha yep. I even saw people saying things like "OMGGG!! day one buy for me!!! I absolutely loved this game on PS2, can't f*****g wait to play it on my PS4!!", a few months later I go into their profiles and there's no trace of said game there.

It's the same kind of people who wants to keep seeing more games from the PS2 coming to PS4 but all they do is either forgetting to buy them/buying other games instead or always waiting to get them on sales only (and thus give less money to Sony in the process, because I'm sure getting less money must be a great incentive for them to keep bringing more PS2 games!)

I understand, not everyone has the money to purchase them at full price and that's okay, but if you do then don't be cheap and actually support the emulation, otherwise don't complain later if you don't see your favorite PS2 games coming to PS4 with trophies. BTW I'm talking in general, not to you in specific.

Edited by Gevirein

• 2 weeks later...

This is the exact reason we won't see disc based backwards compatibility of any kind on the PS4. They have figured out that we will pay for the games a second or even a third time. I am guilty of this my self, as I caved and bought San Andreas.

personally i'm glad, having backwards compatibility will mean no trophy support, horrible resolution and probably just a few if not none of the other features that comes with this emulations.

i mostly care about the trophy support which is the reason why i'm buying many of them, it was always my dream to play ps2 games and unlocking trophies and platinums with them. i know there were remasters of ps2 games on ps3 with trophy support, but they only picked popular franchises to remaster just so they could secure profits, now with this ps2 emulation on ps4 it cost even way less to make them since they don't have to invest more money to upgrade all the textures and sounds, so that means that they now can pick any popular or unpopular game and just by selling a couple of copies they can start recouping the little money they have invested to add trophy support and the other features.

still this isn't anything new, since there were ps1 and ps2 classics on the ps3 although without trophy support, so is not like they have just figured now that they could make money with re-releases.

Not surprising based on PS Store review numbers. Only one I have from them is Bully, since I'm not huge on GTA. First time I ever played Bully too, and I quite liked it, framerate aside.

And given most other games are from Sony, they're probably the other 2 in the Top 5. Wonder which games though. iirc Dark Cloud [the first] had one of the highest rating numbers back when they all first came out. Don't think DC2 has the same amount as the first. Sony never even put out a trailer/gamplay vid for Dark Cloud 2 on the PlayStation channel on YouTube. :/

This is the exact reason we won't see disc based backwards compatibility of any kind on the PS4. They have figured out that we will pay for the games a second or even a third time. I am guilty of this my self, as I caved and bought San Andreas.

I'd rather be able to share video, take screenshots, and earn trophies than not. Sue me~

Edited by Elvick_

Not surprising based on PS Store review numbers. Only one I have from them is Bully, since I'm not huge on GTA. First time I ever played Bully too, and I quite liked it, framerate aside.

And given most other games are from Sony, they're probably the other 2 in the Top 5. Wonder which games though. iirc Dark Cloud [the first] had one of the highest rating numbers back when they all first came out. Don't think DC2 has the same amount as the first. Sony never even put out a trailer/gamplay vid for Dark Cloud 2 on the PlayStation channel on YouTube. :/

I'd rather be able to share video, take screenshots, and earn trophies than not. Sue me~

i really liked your comment, mostly 'cause i thought just me and a friend here were the only ones who cared to look at their ratings/review numbers of the ps store to see how well they were doing on sales. i also like when they upload videos about this ps2 emulations on their youtube channel, since its the only publicity they get, although those videos are often poorly made, like the Primal video they uploaded which showed repetitive gameplay while the actual game was much more interesting than that. it would be better if they just remastered the original trailers of each game instead of doing their own gameplay videos.

apparently they only make videos for ps2 games that were published by them, that's why i can't find videos of the GTA trilogy or the warriors in their channel :/ don't know why they didn't do it for dark cloud  2 though.

also i tend to look at the numbers of owners of said emulations on this site, and the numbers tend to be similar to those of both stores' review numbers combined although with some exceptions.

and yeah i agree, i know people who aren't into trophy hunting would prefer to have BC, but in my case even if there was BC and even if i had some physical ps2 games i wouldn't be playing them, i would be bored or not have that "trophy" incentive for me to care to play them once again. so personally i'm glad to be getting them the way we're getting them.

i never bought any ps1 or ps2 classic on the ps3 because they didn't had trophy support.

i really liked your comment, mostly 'cause i thought just me and a friend here were the only ones who cared to look at their ratings/review numbers of the ps store to see how well they were doing on sales. i also like when they upload videos about this ps2 emulations on their youtube channel, since its the only publicity they get, although those videos are often poorly made, like the Primal video they uploaded which showed repetitive gameplay while the actual game was much more interesting than that. it would be better if they just remastered the original trailers of each game instead of doing their own gameplay videos.

apparently they only make videos for ps2 games that were published by them, that's why i can't find videos of the GTA trilogy or the warriors in their channel :/ don't know why they didn't do it for dark cloud  2 though.

also i tend to look at the numbers of owners of said emulations on this site, and the numbers tend to be similar to those of both stores' review numbers combined although with some exceptions.

and yeah i agree, i know people who aren't into trophy hunting would prefer to have BC, but in my case even if there was BC and even if i had some physical ps2 games i wouldn't be playing them, i would be bored or not have that "trophy" incentive for me to care to play them once again. so personally i'm glad to be getting them the way we're getting them.

i never bought any ps1 or ps2 classic on the ps3 because they didn't had trophy support.

Yeah, I don't know why they don't just remaster the trailers either. It'd be way better. The Dark Cloud ones were awful too, some guy struggling in the first dungeon against some bats. Think he even died to poison... and while that game does have a pretty stiff difficulty curve at the start, it's not *that* bad. And it's not as clunky as it looks with that guy playing it.

It's funny they put the most effort into advertising Kinetica, they even did that interview video of people from Santa Monica who worked on it. Nothing like that for any of the other ones, which is a shame because that would be a great way to promote them too. I

I would love b/c, just so I could be sure that if my PS2 died I could play them no problem. But I'd still prefer rebuying the games for the benefits of using the current OS and it's features. Plus, I like to support the games I like. And I was too young during the PSone/PS2 days to really be able to buy that many games new. So most were used, or second hand new. Feel guilty about it for a lot of them :P