Horizon Zero Dawn: New Trailer, New Release Date

Just now, Jyn Erso said:

Really excited for this, I've pre ordered its collector's edition, hoping the game won't disappoint! :D 

This is probably the game from 2017 I wanted to play the most, besides Gravity Rush 2.

In order:

Breath Of The Wild

Super Mario Odyssey

South Park: Fractured Butthole

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Yooka-Laylee

Very excited for all of them though, and Horizon: Zero Dawn is not higher on the list because I have zero experience myself with the developer's earlier work. It gets that high on my want-list by premise and early in-game footage alone.

3 hours ago, BIOHAZARD-R-US said:

Isn't that extremely close to the release date for this game to just be going gold now?

Not Really, Nioh Went Gold like Half of December and will be out in 8 Days for Example. This is out March 1st so it's similar after all there are still 6 weeks to Check if everything works fine and work on the distribution i suppose.

4 hours ago, BIOHAZARD-R-US said:

Isn't that extremely close to the release date for this game to just be going gold now?

25 minutes ago, Sora9427 said:

Not Really, Nioh Went Gold like Half of December and will be out in 8 Days for Example. This is out March 1st so it's similar after all there are still 6 weeks to Check if everything works fine and work on the distribution i suppose.

No Man's Sky went gold a month and a couple of days before release as well.

Not that I want to compare No Man's Sky to Horizon: Zero Dawn, but that's the only other time I noticed a "gone gold" message.

43 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

No Man's Sky went gold a month and a couple of days before release as well.

Not that I want to compare No Man's Sky to Horizon: Zero Dawn, but that's the only other time I noticed a "gone gold" message.

Yeah and THAT was the Example of how a Couple of days and a couple of Weeks are a huge difference that could make a game good or not. 

40 minutes ago, Mar said:

That's bad imo. Game is definitely going to have nultiple patches alongside the inevitable, factual day one patch.

Why is going gold a month before release bad? They now have to write and print several million discs, put them in the normal packages as well as in the collector's packages, and then ship those all over the world. Three weeks in advance or less seems to be cutting it dangerously close, in my opinion.

I think the practice of day one patches is weird, by the way, but then again I'm accustomed to the old days where a game was written to a cartridge, and that was it. These huge open world games sadly will have stuff in them that goes unnoticed.

2 hours ago, Mar said:

That's bad imo. Game is definitely going to have multiple patches alongside the inevitable, factual day one patch.

There is going to be a Day 1 patch to add support for PS4 Pro upgrade stuff, not sure if it's a blanket Day 1 patch for everyone regardless of system ownership, but I would assume so because idk how they'd release the patch to those who specifically have the PS4 Pro.

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

Why is going gold a month before release bad? They now have to write and print several million discs, put them in the normal packages as well as in the collector's packages, and then ship those all over the world. Three weeks in advance or less seems to be cutting it dangerously close, in my opinion.

I think the practice of day one patches is weird, by the way, but then again I'm accustomed to the old days where a game was written to a cartridge, and that was it. These huge open world games sadly will have stuff in them that goes unnoticed.

This is exactly why I was questioning the timeframe. During the writing/burning of the content to the blu-ray disc, sometimes the data can be corrupted and cause issues. Resident Evil 6 (PS3) had a more-than-minor issue with this. Rushing the process of putting the game onto the discs is not something I'd like to hear about a massive open-world game. Plus then rushing shipments can cause its own issues, AMAZON but I won't name names.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Because it obviously means the game is finished in its base state, which while is technically finished, is also incomplete, as far as now gen standards go. Uncharted 4 and Just Cause 3 as great examples. U4 didnt have core SP features added in until day 1 patch, nor core game-modes at launch such as coop and coop adventure (and cinema tbh). People can try to defend U4 all they want, but it was technically imcomplete at launch and still is, since they kept MP a core feature of the franchise. Just Cause 3 while overall an awesone game, now and launch, had many issues to, despite its 5+ yrs of development. 

Horizon isnt even running on an engine Guerilla has worked with. I expect Horizon to be great, but not gotg worthy. It might not even top Gravity Rush 2, the other female lead, character driven/rpg, openworld exclusive game. Regardless, im going to enjoy the hell out of the game and look past most nitpicks that are said in games, but I cant ignore predictable issues that will arise. 

56 minutes ago, BIOHAZARD-R-US said:

There is going to be a Day 1 patch to add support for PS4 Pro upgrade stuff, not sure if it's a blanket Day 1 patch for everyone regardless of system ownership, but I would assume so because idk how they'd release the patch to those who specifically have the PS4 Pro.

This is exactly why I was questioning the timeframe. During the writing/burning of the content to the blu-ray disc, sometimes the data can be corrupted and cause issues. Resident Evil 6 (PS3) had a more-than-minor issue with this. Rushing the process of putting the game onto the discs is not something I'd like to hear about a massive open-world game. Plus then rushing shipments can cause its own issues, AMAZON but I won't name names.

All information confirmed so far about this game's production and shown gameplay footages undeniably will have this game with a Day 1 or 2 patch solely related to the game's mechanics and technical aspects. Should be bugs, framerate, openworld related aspects, etc. Despite Gravity Rush 2 being a (what's the word?) less complex (I guess) rpg, openworld game compared to HZD, theres no way HZD is going to be as polished as GR2, respectively.

Regardless............ im going to enjoy the game. I personally hope it can at least be up to 8.5/10 standards at vanilla/month one, without relying on the "over time to fix itself issue and becone true-masterpiece-game" that some games rely on to become their true, prime, or complete self. 

Edited by Mar

Yes! My interest level for Horizon is finally back high as it was when the game was announced. Ive finally seen a video (Youtube: Polygon's recent Horizon Gameplay Video) showing me things to feel and get excited about that other videos were doing a poor job at convincing me at. Though maybe, tbf, I have been keeping up with official companies videos as oppose to seeing regular people's hands on videos.

Some concerns I have though are with physics and elements. I especially take it serious in environmental, weather, and varied landscape heavy games (or ones with decent focus/implementation) to incorporate elemental damage physics. I forgot what game it was, but there was a game that ignored the science like all together, and it made the experience quite underwhelming.

- Anyways, it doesnt seem like there are wet physics (for example), which im sorry but is not something that should be ignored anymore (by this generation time), especially if the character has access to water themed areas often and has the ability to swim in any body of water (exceptions for a few games like fighters, racers, etc, though Naruto Storm 4 executing this design so well is very impressive still to see in such a type of genre game). Coming out of the water looking normal is just way too weird.

- Secondly, elemental damage physics like 2x damage via wet enemies hit with electricity, same applies to the alternative of enemies being in water but not necessarily wet (Dying Light does this all, and its not at all a nature environmental heavy game). I dont expect the FULL combination of varied physics with all elements, just at least the most obvious ones. Anything else is a bonus.

- What incentive gameplay design aspect will keep the player staying in the Horizon world aside from exploration and collectibles and generic sidequest? Jak has racing events, tricks with JETboard, gun course, mini games, solo buggie challenges, bad guys always coming after you in the wasteland (all of which can be done indefinitely) alongside the sidequest. Dying Light has zombies or enemies attacking innocent people encounters, enemies picking locked crates, bounty missions, care packages, all of this being on an infinite cycle, etc. Dont want another inFAMOUS or inFAMOUS Second Son situation with Horizon's openworld: openworld games where the content is insufficient and the world is poorly designed with too little things to do.

- The Dodge Roll is awkwardly a very repetitive evade feature. I think there needs to be more options here (excluding tall grassy fields and hiding behind big objects if that even works). Always seeing combat with the roll acting as the one static thing constantly being seen all fight while the combat tools vary  is glaring. Would be nice if Aloy could jump and run across machines, or jump onto a machine and then jump off, or jump onto objects like walls, rocks, etc and then jump back towards the opposite direction (like most ninjas do and I THINK Nariko could do in Heavenly Sword). Because really, the roll being the only evade option for all these strikes and straightforward attacks is going to be a prominent flaw imo, since Aloy doesnt seem to have compensating abilities like time manipulation, shields/barriers, teleportion, super speed, acrobatic manuevers, block/super block, attack negation, etc.

Tl;DR; concerns sum up

- Elemental effects + wet physics

- Limitless Post Game Content

- More combat evade options

So yeah, atm, mostly concern with some gameplay elements and aspects and the openworld things. I care deeply about Aloy's character and the storyline of Horizon to, but we've been getting more info about gameplay/openworld than that.

Edited by Mar

• 2 weeks later...
  •  

horizon-zero-dawn-pre-order-bonuses-coll

I still cant justify getting this lack luster, poor collector's edition. It comes with the minimal things a CE should always come with, without more quality content: (mid quality) statue, steelcase, and artbook. That's the major 3 things almost all CEs come with and all they should all come with. This one also includes a ps4 theme but this generation bundled themes have only been passable/ok, nothing cool like last generation's. If youre not going to include a signature candy piece like Aloy's bow, Aloy's ear piece, etc, then at least add a poster or soundtrack. Real collector's edition are ones like Dishonored 2, Just Cause 3 (though it lacks a steelcase), inFAMOUS Second Son, Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, etc. This second rate CE is nothing to praise or be excited about from a general standpoint. It doesnt have that type of content to support it.

Now what really breaks and overshadows this CE's is that Guerilla is releasing on HZD's release date, the superior Art Book (standalone), which is the size of school text book (192 pages vs 48 pages), and a 2nd CE - Thunderjaw CE - which includes a superior (machine) statue (higher quality and 15in vs lower quality 9in), a map, two lithographs, and Aloy's ear piece in a seperate HZD CE.

- 192 Paged Art Book

9781785653636_p0_v1_s526x700.jpg  

- Thunderjaw Collector's Edition

225511_detail_s.jpg

So.. the original CE is pretty much a waste of money.

Edited by Mar

4 hours ago, Mar said:
  •  

horizon-zero-dawn-pre-order-bonuses-coll

I still cant justify getting this lack luster, poor collector's edition. It comes with the minimal things a CE should always come with, without more quality content: (mid quality) statue, steelcase, and artbook. That's the major 3 things almost all CEs come with and all they should all come with. This one also includes a ps4 theme but this generation bundled themes have only been passable/ok, nothing cool like last generation's. If youre not going to include a signature candy piece like Aloy's bow, Aloy's ear piece, etc, then at least add a poster or soundtrack. Real collector's edition are ones like Dishonored 2, Just Cause 3 (though it lacks a steelcase), inFAMOUS Second Son, Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, etc. This second rate CE is nothing to praise or be excited about from a general standpoint. It doesnt have that type of content to support it.

Now what really breaks and overshadows this CE's is that Guerilla is releasing on HZD's release date, the superior Art Book (standalone), which is the size of school text book (192 pages vs 48 pages), and a 2nd CE - Thunderjaw CE - which includes a superior (machine) statue (higher quality and 15in vs lower quality 9in), a map, two lithographs, and Aloy's ear piece in a seperate HZD CE.

- 192 Paged Art Book

9781785653636_p0_v1_s526x700.jpg  

- Thunderjaw Collector's Edition

225511_detail_s.jpg

So.. the original CE is pretty much a waste of money.

That Thunderjaw collection costs $350 so no thanks. The Aloy statuette looks awesome as well. Only thing I'm bummed about is not getting the full art book.

I only care for statuettes and art books these days. Used to be I cared for maps as well but I don't have any room for those any more.

I might cancel on my collector's edition though but mostly because the game itself could get in the way of my Switch. I want this game to be a success to further prove to Ubisoft how ridiculous their comment on female PCs not being financially interesting is, but maybe I should just focus on the Switch first and try to find Horizon Zero Dawn in a trade or sale later on.

P.S. I do not know where the news on the game being part of the Thunderjaw pack originated but as far as I know, it will not be released with the game.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2017/01/25/full-range-of-horizon-zero-dawn-accessories-and-merchandise-detailed/

31673958154_c58d81f56a_o.jpg

Note how the game in your pic looks a bit off and has no accompanied white text in red stripe.

Edited by BillyHorrible
P.S.

14 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

That Thunderjaw collection costs $350 so no thanks. The Aloy statuette looks awesome as well. Only thing I'm bummed about is not getting the full art book.

I only care for statuettes and art books these days. Used to be I cared for maps as well but I don't have any room for those any more.

I might cancel on my collector's edition though but mostly because the game itself could get in the way of my Switch. I want this game to be a success to further prove to Ubisoft how ridiculous their comment on female PCs not being financially interesting is, but maybe I should just focus on the Switch first and try to find Horizon Zero Dawn in a trade or sale later on.

P.S. I do not know where the news on the game being part of the Thunderjaw pack originated but as far as I know, it will not be released with the game.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2017/01/25/full-range-of-horizon-zero-dawn-accessories-and-merchandise-detailed/

31673958154_c58d81f56a_o.jpg

Note how the game in your pic looks a bit off and has no accompanied white text in red stripe.

It's not $350 (in NA). If it was, I wouldn't have brought it up since that price would be a ripoff. It's $200 here. Going off unboxing videos, which I was too lazy to post, the Aloy statue is just ok, where they dont look like the character from the game, but look close to it.

The TJC comes with a superior statue..

Ubisoft feels that way? Smh. We need more female lead games, especially ones where the feminine trait in them are actually strong. Im not a fan of re-skin male characters with the female skin. TLOU2 might suffer from this with Ellie. Horizon has already shown certain animations and details that confirms Aloy wont feel like a re-skinned male char :). For various reasons Id rather you at least try to get the standard edition, as GG deserves the support imo.

The game doesn't come with it. The picture I provided just uses the game as the related promotion product (if I said that right). While the picture can seem misleading, if you actually read all the orange labeled marks, you'll see the game is not listed.

Im just getting the superior Artbook and Standard game. Ill get the TJC when im out of my financial situation -_-"

1 hour ago, Mar said:

It's not $350 (in NA). If it was, I wouldn't have brought it up since that price would be a ripoff. It's $200 here. Going off unboxing videos, which I was too lazy to post, the Aloy statue is just ok, where they dont look like the character from the game, but look close to it.

The TJC comes with a superior statue..

Ubisoft feels that way? Smh. We need more female lead games, especially ones where the feminine trait in them are actually strong. Im not a fan of re-skin male characters with the female skin. TLOU2 might suffer from this with Ellie. Horizon has already shown certain animations and details that confirms Aloy wont feel like a re-skinned male char :). For various reasons Id rather you at least try to get the standard edition, as GG deserves the support imo.

The game doesn't come with it. The picture I provided just uses the game as the related promotion product (if I said that right). While the picture can seem misleading, if you actually read all the orange labeled marks, you'll see the game is not listed.

Im just getting the superior Artbook and Standard game. Ill get the TJC when im out of my financial situation -_-"

You're right, that $350 was AUD, I didn't notice. The official image is without the disc box though (as noted in my first post) and a few sites have mistaken the image you posted as meaning the game is included

http://www.aussiegamersexpress.com/2017/02/horizon-zero-dawn-thunderjaw-collectors.html?m=1

Yeah the Thunderjaw is a superior statue. Just like with Batman and the Batmobile in the Arkham Knight editions, I feel like the money for such an expensive statue could better go to a holiday, I've actually rented a place in France for a week during spring for five people that was less expensive than that statue pack. And at least the batmobile came with the game (before the edition was cancelled)...

Yes Ubisoft said that female protagonists weren't bankable, somewhere around white male Assassin number six. And this after female stars like Lara Croft, Samus Aran, Joanna Dark... And that's not even going into one-offs like Amanda Ripley.

Yes, Guerilla Games deserves support, if only for being a big quality gaming developer from my home country :)

I've got the collector's edition paid off but even at release I can decide to cancel and get my money back or put it into something else. The odds of still getting the game dramatically increase if the pre-orders are being made available a few days early.

I might actually change to standard game and full book as well, seeing as that saves me €37, and I still get the game and a cooler art book (and I'm free to buy the art book afterwards if I actually thought the game was amazing). I can't let myself get the Thunderjaw though, I value holidays more. I can do a weekend of London or Teutoburger Wald with that money.