Review Roundup - Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Hey PSNP,

You know the drill. Post any reviews you find here so that we can be informed consumers. 

First one I've spotted comes courtesy of Eurogamer. No award given. (They have an Avoid < No Award < Recommended < Essential rating system.)

Their conclusion:

The original Mirror's Edge was always a great idea somewhat obscured - how frustrating to find Catalyst polishes the premise only to find itself burdened with a new set of shackles. It's a slight reward for those who've kept Faith, but this is a sequel that's too often lacking grace.

Here's the review roundup so far

IGN – 6.8

NDTV – 7

International Business Times – 3.5/ 5

BGR – 4.5/ 5

Destructoid – 8.5

Push Square – 8

Polygon – 8

Gamesradar+ – 3/ 5

Game Informer – 6.5

The Guardian – 3/ 5

GameSpot – 7

Attack of the Fanboy – 3/ 5

Harcore Gamer – 3.5/ 5

Cheat Code Central – 4/ 5

Examiner – 5/5

Meristation – 7.5

Metro – 6

PC Gamer – 78%

Twinfinite – 3/ 5

Venture Beat – 80%

Looks like it's gonna be another cult classic like the original mirror's edge. They're definitely better than the last but I don't think it's enough that EA will give it a 3rd chance for a sequel. Heck I was so hyped they gave it a second chance but only time will tell

Here's the review roundup so far

IGN – 6.8

NDTV – 7

International Business Times – 3.5/ 5

BGR – 4.5/ 5

Destructoid – 8.5

Push Square – 8

Polygon – 8

Gamesradar+ – 3/ 5

Game Informer – 6.5

The Guardian – 3/ 5

GameSpot – 7

Attack of the Fanboy – 3/ 5

Harcore Gamer – 3.5/ 5

Cheat Code Central – 4/ 5

Examiner – 5/5

Meristation – 7.5

Metro – 6

PC Gamer – 78%

Twinfinite – 3/ 5

Venture Beat – 80%

Looks like it's gonna be another cult classic like the original mirror's edge. They're definitely better than the last but I don't think it's enough that EA will give it a 3rd chance for a sequel. Heck I was so hyped they gave it a second chance but only time will tell

Will 200% get once I get my ps4. Don't care about reviews. Cheers everyone
  • Like 1

it's averaging a 7 and that's good IMO, even games that get 6 are decent. A lot of people expect their favorite games to get 9s and 10s not knowing that the reviewers score games based on how they feel about them. You know what Kingdom Hearts BBS got? An 8 and it's till my favorite entry in the series. What I'm trying to say is that if you let review scores affect your decision of buying a certain game you'll never have that balance, you will always have high standards, always expecting near perfect games. Remember back in the day when you save up money to buy a new game and then you go back home and play it then it turns out awesome. That element of surprise is what I miss these days.

• Like 2

it's averaging a 7 and that's good IMO, even games that get 6 are decent. A lot of people expect their favorite games to get 9s and 10s not knowing that the reviewers score games based on how they feel about them. You know what Kingdom Hearts BBS got? An 8 and it's till my favorite entry in the series. What I'm trying to say is that if you let review scores affect your decision of buying a certain game you'll never have that balance, you will always have high standards, always expecting near perfect games. Remember back in the day when you save up money to buy a new game and then you go back home and play it then it turns out awesome. That element of surprise is what I miss these days.

Same here man. I remember that games that I enjoyed getting 6's or 7's, yet I continue to enjoy them. I do however like when a great game that I like ends up getting a 9 or 10, as I know that a lot of people are getting to experience a great game. But I don't let review scores dictate my personal opinion on whether or not should I purchase a game.

• Like 1

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting that people should only pay attention to the scores. If anything, you should ignore them. A score tells you nothing on its own. You have to read the review to understand what the reviewer liked and disliked, and why that score was given. And then, having read the review, what do you really need the score for?

Anyway... still reading them, but my current view is that I will give this one a miss. I was one of those who thought the original was "alright", so wasn't already in the I'm-definitely-buying-this-camp when Catalyst was announced. I was thinking of giving it a shot though, but the reviews haven't convinced me that I'd be missing anything special so I think I'll leave this one be.

I couldn't agree more. I always buy games based on my decision ad not the reviews. Half of my decision comes from watching gameplay videos and points made by reviews ad the other half comes from my personal judgement.

The only reason I'm hampered by the reviews is because this may end the franchise since EA may scrap it all together after not receiving "good" reviews (subjective) or we may wait another 8 years or a long period. IMO though the reviews are a hella lot better than the last which is great! :)

I'm still very excited to play the game, even if review scores have been adequate-to-good. The only two I really read were the IGN and Gamespot reviews, and Gamespot said they had a hell of a time with the exception of a couple of drawbacks while IGN was far less enthused about it (however, on the flip side, the stuff they complained about -- maybe aside from the graphics disparity between PC and console -- seemed a little trivial and petty). I think people put too much stock in actual scores without reading the reviews themselves, but that's just me. I also gotta give props to those awesome d00ds at metacritic who are bombing the user score with zeroes. I mean... really? Did the developer kick their dog or something?