God of War - E3 2016 Gameplay Trailer

HeySumbode

Me either. It's not like he's had 20 games or something like that. Same for Nathan Drake. If you have a good character, you don't throw them away.

This ^

If a character is endearing and popular why not run with it, its worked fine so far for Mario, Megaman, Link, Lara Croft, Agent 47 and my main man Guybrush Threepwood I don't see why Kratos is any different

Edited by savageamusement

This ^

If a character is endearing and popular why not run with it, its worked fine so far for Mario, Megaman, Link, Lara Croft, Agent 47 and my main man Guybrush Threepwood I don't see why Kratos is any different

You either love Kratos or you hate him. I've always seen beyond his anger, but others can't seem to get passed it. This new game though, should bring more to the fold. New fans, and old fans alike. I hope they make a father son trilogy. 

Edit: New write up by the director of the game himself, Cory Barlog.

http://godofwar.playstation.com/a-new-beginning-awaits/

Edited by KratosTheMighty

If Kratos is going to live, then his son could die in the future. But that would be predictable and it's already been done in GoW. So a father-son trilogy would be cool. I still wonder if his son is an important person in terms of mythology. He could just be made up of course. 

How about in this game, Kratos does not get his redemption but slaughters a whole bunch of gods again and in the next game you play his son, with Kratos being the big bad?

They have said that god of war will always be about Kratos so i doubt it. But if we do play as the kid in another game it wouldn't be called God of War. Judging by the reaction of the crowd on the reveal of Kratos its pretty safe to say nobody is sick of him yet and why would you be, he's a badass :D .  

They have said that god of war will always be about Kratos so i doubt it. But if we do play as the kid in another game it wouldn't be called God of War. Judging by the reaction of the crowd on the reveal of Kratos its pretty safe to say nobody is sick of him yet and why would you be, he's a badass :D .  

Well seeing as it's Norse gods this time around it could be some sort of alternative continuity, with Kratos happily slaughtering gods in the main hack'n'slash franchise while the kid gets this new franchise. I have previously theorised that the kid could usurp Thor's position and then the next game would be named God Of Thunder :-)

Edited by BillyHorrible

Well seeing as it's Norse gods this time around it could be some sort of alternative continuity, with Kratos happily slaughtering gods in the main hack'n'slash franchise while the kid gets this new franchise. I have previously theorised that the kid could usurp Thor's position and then the next game would be named God Of Thunder :-)

ymND8fY.png

Seriously man. Click any of the links I've posted, watch any of the interviews. It is not an alternate reality, it is set in the same universe.... with the same Kratos. Following God of War 3.

ymND8fY.png

Seriously man. Click any of the links I've posted, watch any of the interviews. It is not an alternate reality, it is set in the same universe.... with the same Kratos. Following God of War 3.

Look, I'll explain my post (it's really not that hard) but I think you've got a bit of a case of "don't mess with the franchise I love"-itis. It's fine to discuss stuff but don't start pretending like I'm stupid just because you don't like my theories. Because what's really stupid is believing everything any creator says about his works before you can find out for yourself. There's a trope called Lying Creator for a reason.

I'm saying that post-3 could be a T-junction. This side goes off to other mythologies with Son Of Kratos, with Kratos either dying for realsies or becoming the big bad. Then there will be the other side, where Kratos stays in Greece or goes to Italy after 3 and keeps killing over there.

Or better yet, this game introduces SOK as the new protagonist while Kratos himself will get a full-on reboot of the franchise, starting over with the beginning of his story.

I don't expect most of my theories to turn out true but I'm just having fun with trying to think of possibilities. Don't dis just because you can't handle stepping outside of a comfort zone please.

Look, I'll explain my post (it's really not that hard) but I think you've got a bit of a case of "don't mess with the franchise I love"-itis. It's fine to discuss stuff but don't start pretending like I'm stupid just because you don't like my theories. Because what's really stupid is believing everything any creator says about his works before you can find out for yourself. There's a trope called Lying Creator for a reason.

I'm saying that post-3 could be a T-junction. This side goes off to other mythologies with Son Of Kratos, with Kratos either dying for realsies or becoming the big bad. Then there will be the other side, where Kratos stays in Greece or goes to Italy after 3 and keeps killing over there.

Or better yet, this game introduces SOK as the new protagonist while Kratos himself will get a full-on reboot of the franchise, starting over with the beginning of his story.

I don't expect most of my theories to turn out true but I'm just having fun with trying to think of possibilities. Don't dis just because you can't handle stepping outside of a comfort zone please.

Your theories are idiotic when we have actual information, from the developer. Assuming a Dev is lying is utter idiocy. You're literally talking out your ass, when I've already provided sources and interviews that discredit any theory you come up with that doesn't include what we know. At this point I'm pretty much done conversing with you, because you seem to not want to actually educate yourself on the game and instead choose to believe that the dev would outright bullshit fans.. 

Your theories are idiotic when we have actual information, from the developer. Assuming a Dev is lying is utter idiocy. You're literally talking out your ass, when I've already provided sources and interviews that discredit any theory you come up with that doesn't include what we know. At this point I'm pretty much done conversing with you, because you seem to not want to actually educate yourself on the game and instead choose to believe that the dev would outright bullshit fans..

Will you please chill out? Next time when you write something like this, cool down before posting, take a good look at what you've written and then quietly delete it.

You haven't discredited anything. Sure, believe that devs never lie. I'm guessing in your world Arkham Knight actually is an original character, Lost does not feature time travel, there is no Khan in Into Darkness and JD and Elliot never ended up together, and of course you believe it right away when George Lucas says there have been plans for six, no twelve, no nine Star Wars films and that number was always the real one since the beginning.

Creators lie. They are lying liars who lie, if only to keep a twist secret or because they somehow don't want to say "I don't know yet". There are literally dozens if not hundreds examples of lying creators. You apparently really think that if this new God Of War game is going to kill Kratos and let you be his son in the climax of the game or in future installments, that the developer wil honestly will you about it up front and ruin the surprise.

If you're going to act like that with your head stuck in the sand, there really is no point. You do know that you're not contractually obligated to respond to every single post in every God Of War thread, right?

Next time you see someone put some wild theory out there, just let them have their fun and don't come with developer interviews which in your eyes "prove" that you're right and everybody else is a stinky smelly poopie face. It's childish and you're gaining not a single thing with it. There's really no win here for you, because no matter how much you yell that the developer will never lie, I'll just keep thinking of zany theories about upcoming games and I'm happy to be that way. Just respect that, please.

Edited by BillyHorrible

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty decent interview with Cory Barlog, no new information about the game... but it kind of delves into Cory's inspiration for the direction of the game and how him working outside of the gaming industry kinda influenced him in a positive way.

• 6 months later...

Kratos' sun is named Atreus. The final one is from the God of War official Facebook page, and has a link that you can download the live Overture theme, which is where the information was discovered.

Sources:

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/01/14/kratos-son-is-named-atreus/

https://gamerant.com/god-of-war-kratos-son-name/

https://www.facebook.com/godofwar/photos/a.259153457537629.57674.225875837532058/1177850305667935/?type=3&theater