What are your coping methods to platting a game?

GamerJack21

Im new to PS3 maybe had it about 2.5 weeks and i've got 2 platinums now, really enjoying going for them. I just started playing Sniper Elite V2 couple of days back and despite it being a fairly easy game to platinum i kind of find it a bit tedious and boring? Because its slightly repetitive.

Im still determined to platinum the game but do you guys have anything you do to motivate yourselves when going for boring or long plats?

If I feel that going for the plat will become boring or tedious, I just don't do it. At least not immediately. Generally, I don't like playing the same game over and over again just for trophies, so I'll usually take a break between playthroughs. Like at the moment I'm playing MGS3, and I just wanted to enjoy myself re-playing this game after a long time. So I play it on normal, without any guides and without limiting my enjoyment with any kind of trophy requirements. I know that getting the plat will require another 'cleanup' playthrough, but since going through the game again immediately would feel slightly tedious, I'll just play something else in the meantime and get back to it later. This way I don't feel like I'm 'working' on a plat, which is something I don't want to associate with gaming.

If it's just a grind fest (Kill X enemies, find X objects), I do my best to break it up. Grab ten items during one quest, play for a while, grab ten more, etc. And if lots of grinding is needed towards the end, I bounce between a new game and the grinding so it doesn't become mind numbing.

Im new to PS3 maybe had it about 2.5 weeks and i've got 2 platinums now, really enjoying going for them. I just started playing Sniper Elite V2 couple of days back and despite it being a fairly easy game to platinum i kind of find it a bit tedious and boring? Because its slightly repetitive.

Im still determined to platinum the game but do you guys have anything you do to motivate yourselves when going for boring or long plats?

Oh, lots of plats will have their moments of being tedious or boring. Get to level 50 on MP, find ridiculous amounts of collectibles, some luck based trophies.

If I have finished most of a game and there are some tedious portions to it I will usually have one other game that I am playing at the same time. Play the boring bit for a while and then switch to the other game. Sometimes slow and steady will get you through. However, there are a few that I just sat down and tried to plow through it as quick as I could to get it out of the way.

Sometimes though it is just to much and there is nothing wrong with just passing on that game and working on one that is more enjoyable.

If I try to plat such a game I usually take a long break when I get bored with it. There are so many games to plat or just play that you just have to play some other one and play the one that you tried to plat first a little later when you won't be fed up with it anymore. Big collection of games helps with that but shit just slows your plat progress overall. At least when you are new and you feel like if you have to make up for the time when u didn't have your Sonia.

I know that pain bro, just remember that plats won't run away from you and that there is plenty of time to get your 100%, good luck with your hunting ;)

Yeah ive been playing my sniper elite game 1 mission a day including getting the collectables on that mission. Once im closer to it i feel more positive about finishing the rest off since im so close.

Also i find playing some music or having a conversation going on the forums a good way to get through a boring platinum. It almost feels like im not doing it then a few hours later i realise ive got a lot done :)

Edited by GamerJack21

You should just platinum games you love. As long as you truly love and enjoy the game you are playing the platiunum run should be fun and not tedious. If you're not enjoying Sniper Eilte then just drop it. That's just my advice.

Edited by Crimson-Cobalt

I don't have many games on my backburner so I can afford to grind out the platinums for as long as I have too and usually at my leisure. I usually buy games that I want to play anyway, so it doesn't really bother me to have to grind it out if I had to, if I'm aiming for the Platinum. I also try not to play for more than 5-6 hours a day either.

Edited by skinner49

Well...I can say for my most recent plat Vanquish...my coping method was pulling my hair out. Had one trophy left to get for almost a year, which was that horrid challenge 6. Thousands of attempts proved fruitless, until finally the other night, I beat it. Yes, pulling my hair out helped me cope. :)

The very first thing i do when i play a new game is just play the game without looking at the trophy list at all. It reminds me of why I'm a gamer in the first place. So i don't worry about trophies until i beat the game at least once. If It's an RPG though or game that takes a while i will look at the missable trophies. I don't have a problem replaying a game though as I'm a very patient person.

But to answer your question, the second time around is always easier than the first since you just beat it. For me i think It's more fun as you "master" that game. Look up things that you didn't know like easter eggs or whatever like that, that can motivate you. Obviously trophies are the main motivation.

If It's grinding then well, get an ipod out or something since your constanly doing something over and over again.

• Like 1