PlayStation VR games discussion for VR players

Oobedoob S Benubi

:(

Edit: damn, I googled it and it seems Adrift is indeed not coming to VR. That's such bull, the game on PC was even delayed so it could be released together with the Rift and then the devs said that they had VR in mind when first starting to work on the game.

Edited by BillyHorrible

Edit: damn, I googled it and it seems Adrift is indeed not coming to VR. That's such bull, the game on PC was even delayed so it could be released together with the Rift and then the devs said that they had VR in mind when first starting to work on the game.

You tell me about it, it went from "this will be my first VR game" to "I don't even want the game anymore", the game looses it's purpose without VR, it's just another walking simulator that's nice to go through once, with VR it gives you that feeling of being in Zero G. A shame really...

You tell me about it, it went from "this will be my first VR game" to "I don't even want the game anymore", the game looses it's purpose without VR, it's just another walking simulator that's nice to go through once, with VR it gives you that feeling of being in Zero G. A shame really...

I've heard Adrift is one of the worst VR games for motion sickness, so while it may be disappointing that the PS4 version won't getting VR support, at least you won't feel like vomiting after 2 minutes of playing.  :P

I've heard Adrift is one of the worst VR games for motion sickness, so while it may be disappointing that the PS4 version won't getting VR support, at least you won't feel like vomiting after 2 minutes of playing.  :P

But if you take VR away you're left with nothing, just another walking simulator that's only worth to play once and that's it.

But if you take VR away you're left with nothing, just another walking simulator that's only worth to play once and that's it.

Well personally, I don't think VR makes the game. Yes, it'll make it more immersive (in addition to more vomit inducing), but it's still just another walking sim. Those aren't the kind of games you'll get much out of playing more than once anyway. The only reason I could see why VR would change that is if you were using it as some sort of tech demo, but there are far better ways to show off what VR can do anyway.

Edited by Undead Wolf

Well personally, I don't think VR makes the game. Yes, it'll make it more immersive (in addition to more vomit inducing), but it's still just another walking sim. Those aren't the kind of games you'll get much out of playing more than once anyway. The only reason I could see why VR would change that is if you were using it as some sort of tech demo, but there are far better ways to show off what VR can do anyway.

This game definitely needs VR for me to be interested. Won't say that's true for every game but it's true for this one. Contrast Ethan Carter, which is an awesome game without it and VR is just an added bonus. I'll also still get Ace Combat if it drops VR, maybe just not as soon.

And on the vomit-inducing, I'm not buying into any of that before I try it for myself. Many people have talked about nausea from specific games to VR in general but it just seems to differ from person to person, just like if 3D does something for you or not. It's why I really want to try VR before buying it, I want to know if my eyes and brain go "awwww yeah awesome!" or "hands, get a bucket for mouth!"

P.S. Less than 5% of the games I get are going to be played more than once anyway, don't see how that affects this game more than anything else. I'm never replaying Mirror's Edge Catalyst, or any LEGO game I have 100% on, either.

Edited by BillyHorrible

But Adrift is the kind of game that beneficts from immersion, who never dreamed of going for a space walk, to experience Zero G? Without VR to help you get immersion it's just another game where you walk around in space, no different from Dead Space 2 for example, but without the action and cinematic experience.

You wouldn't get the same experience from adding VR to Gone Home for example, it's just not the kind of game that would benefic from it, but Adrift is all about immersion. Rush of Blood for example doesn't gain anything from VR, it will still feel like the same game, but VR really changes Adrift around, it turns a nice cute game into a fenomenal experience.

Heads up:

A new game appeared on the PlayStation story: Bound. I noticed it because it has a "PlayStation VR compatible" banner.

Added it to the main post but here's the trailer:

It's called a "ballet platformer" and it looks really nice. It's €20, it's from Santa Monica Studio and it gets 73 from critics and 76 from users on Metacritic.

Edited by BillyHorrible

• 2 weeks later...

How We Soar - just putting this on the list so I remember to look for more about this once it's closer to release.

Yeah, I won't have any problem remembering that one now...

I went to the PS VR try-out event yesterday. Got some hands-on experience with PlayStation VR Worlds, How We Soar and Driveclub.

PlayStation VR Worlds: Had the underwater introduction, which was not interactable but just a little look-around, to get acquainted with VR. The idea was pretty fun but I was very aware of the fact that I was not actually there - when the shark rattled the cage, my chair didn't move along with it, something I am used to thanks to 4D movies in theme parks.

How We Soar: very beautiful indeed, it seemed a bit empty at points - you're in a sky box and looking away from the "business-part" of the level has you just floating in empty sky - but this is the kind of game I'd want VR for. It's very relaxing and using fantastical graphics means you're not looking at "that's not how it looks in real life" almost-but-not-really stuff. It feels a bit like Flower - there are some things to do but that's not really the point of the game, it's getting relaxed and enjoying the view while you do those things. It feels very natural and it helps that the controls are simple - move, speed up, speed down. I noticed I swayed a little bit along with the movements, which is a nice feel.

Driveclub VR: More than with the other games, I was annoyed with the low resolution on this one. The car itself looked cool but in regular driving, my eyes go to the horizon and the horizon in Driveclub was a pixellated mess. I've been told afterwards that this was an early demo and Driveclub VR should look much better when it's released.

Some points:

+ Camera movement looks and feels natural

+ Experience seems exellent in short bursts

+ I really want to play How We Soar now

+ It seems indeed that much can be played just by sitting still and using the controller. I don't want to have to clear the room each time I want to game

- Getting a bit sick at the end (might be because of the speed in Driveclub, might be because I had just cycled in hot weather and hadn't taken any water afterwards)

- Is it worth it?

- I can see the pixels... Less noticeable in How We Soar but more noticeable on the horizon of Driveclub or in emptier bits of Worlds)

- I've seen so much 3D and IMAX 3D movies that the 3D effect is lost on me, I know it's there but I don't "see" it any more

All in all, it is some very interesting technology but even some hands-on experience has not fully persuaded me. On the one hand, I might want to wait a while for an upgraded version and more playable games. On the other hand, when it works (like with How We Soar), it works really well and makes me want to be there from the start.

Having played it, I can say that it really won't replace regular gaming, but with the right stuff it can be an excellent addition. How We Soar shows me that it can definitely happen, I wonder if X-Wing VR will look and feel as nice...

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 2

Yeah, I won't have any problem remembering that one now...

I went to the PS VR try-out event yesterday. Got some hands-on experience with PlayStation VR Worlds, How We Soar and Driveclub.

PlayStation VR Worlds: Had the underwater introduction, which was not interactable but just a little look-around, to get acquainted with VR. The idea was pretty fun but I was very aware of the fact that I was not actually there - when the shark rattled the cage, my chair didn't move along with it, something I am used to thanks to 4D movies in theme parks.

How We Soar: very beautiful indeed, it seemed a bit empty at points - you're in a sky box and looking away from the "business-part" of the level has you just floating in empty sky - but this is the kind of game I'd want VR for. It's very relaxing and using fantastical graphics means you're not looking at "that's not how it looks in real life" almost-but-not-really stuff. It feels a bit like Flower - there are some things to do but that's not really the point of the game, it's getting relaxed and enjoying the view while you do those things. It feels very natural and it helps that the controls are simple - move, speed up, speed down. I noticed I swayed a little bit along with the movements, which is a nice feel.

Driveclub VR: More than with the other games, I was annoyed with the low resolution on this one. The car itself looked cool but in regular driving, my eyes go to the horizon and the horizon in Driveclub was a pixellated mess. I've been told afterwards that this was an early demo and Driveclub VR should look much better when it's released.

Some points:

+ Camera movement looks and feels natural

+ Experience seems exellent in short bursts

+ I really want to play How We Soar now

+ It seems indeed that much can be played just by sitting still and using the controller. I don't want to have to clear the room each time I want to game

- Getting a bit sick at the end (might be because of the speed in Driveclub, might be because I had just cycled in hot weather and hadn't taken any water afterwards)

- Is it worth it?

- I can see the pixels... Less noticeable in How We Soar but more noticeable on the horizon of Driveclub or in emptier bits of Worlds)

- I've seen so much 3D and IMAX 3D movies that the 3D effect is lost on me, I know it's there but I don't "see" it any more

All in all, it is some very interesting technology but even some hands-on experience has not fully persuaded me. On the one hand, I might want to wait a while for an upgraded version and more playable games. On the other hand, when it works (like with How We Soar), it works really well and makes me want to be there from the start.

Having played it, I can say that it really won't replace regular gaming, but with the right stuff it can be an excellent addition. How We Soar shows me that it can definitely happen, I wonder if X-Wing VR will look and feel as nice...

Nice first impressions of the VR. Isn't Vr Worlds a compilation of mini games or something like that?

I'm kinda curious to see how Battlezone Vr and Eagle Flight play on the Vr. I will trying it out on October 1 at the EB Expo so it should be interesting. 

Nice first impressions of the VR. Isn't Vr Worlds a compilation of mini games or something like that?

I'm kinda curious to see how Battlezone Vr and Eagle Flight play on the Vr. I will trying it out on October 1 at the EB Expo so it should be interesting. 

Yeah it's a collection. US gets it in a pack with VR and camera and move but silly Sony things that the EU doesn't need a pack and should buy everything separately at the start.

Battlezone and Eagle Flight are not my thing, to each their own I guess. At least there's many different types of game coming out so all of us should be able to find something that moves us (pun not intended).

Yeah it's a collection. US gets it in a pack with VR and camera and move but silly Sony things that the EU doesn't need a pack and should buy everything separately at the start.

Battlezone and Eagle Flight are not my thing, to each their own I guess. At least there's many different types of game coming out so all of us should be able to find something that moves us (pun not intended).

I assume that Australia gets it all separately as well which sucks. The prices for some of the games in Australia are also insane. RIGS is $90 and Battlezone is $100. At least Until Dawn is very affordable at $25. Most of these games I will be waiting on a price drop. 

I assume that Australia gets it all separately as well which sucks. The prices for some of the games in Australia are also insane. RIGS is $90 and Battlezone is $100. At least Until Dawn is very affordable at $25. Most of these games I will be waiting on a price drop. 

Yeah I'm glad that X-Wing is free for Battlefront owners... Many of the small games should be €10-€20 but naturally developing for such a new device is expensive. Arkham VR will be €20 online, seems the top for essentialy a quarter of a game. Until Dawn has the same online price here, €20. €20 is just under 30 AUD by the way.

I hope Bound goes on a sale come launch, and I hope the price of How We Soar will be reasonable. Also, I'd like to see some games with VR support enter PS+.

Yeah I'm glad that X-Wing is free for Battlefront owners... Many of the small games should be €10-€20 but naturally developing for such a new device is expensive. Arkham VR will be €20 online, seems the top for essentialy a quarter of a game. Until Dawn has the same online price here, €20. €20 is just under 30 AUD by the way.

I hope Bound goes on a sale come launch, and I hope the price of How We Soar will be reasonable. Also, I'd like to see some games with VR support enter PS+.

I'm just happy that some of these will actually get physical releases.

Of course they will, not releasing physical means losing the non-digital crowd (I was part of that too, at first). Only devs who can't handle the financial risk of a disc release will go digital only.

From what I know, these games will be releasing physical:

- RIGS

- VR Worlds

- Hustle Kings VR

- Super Stardust Ultra VR

- Until Dawn: Rush of Blood

- Eagle Flight 

- Star Trek: Bridge Crew

- Driveclub VR

- Battlezone

- EVE: Valkyrie 

- Werewolves Within

- Batman Arkham VR

Edited by greenpoison79

From what I know, these games will be releasing physical:

- RIGS

- VR Worlds

- Hustle Kings VR

- Super Stardust Ultra VR

- Until Dawn: Rush of Blood

- Eagle Flight 

- Star Trek: Bridge Crew

- Driveclub VR

- Battlezone

- EVE: Valkyrie 

- Werewolves Within

- Batman Arkham VR

Nah, it's probably way more. Moto Racer 4 is a big title which will get a disc, I'm willing to bet Ace Combat - Gran Turismo Sport - Robinson will all get discs as well.

At the start, it might seem like more is digital than on disc but if VR proves to be a money maker to devs, then the big guys will fully join - there's a bunch of big titles coming out already but many big devs are starting with bit stuff, like a short Batman Arkham game, one X-Wing mission, Tomb Raider DLC...

Honestly, one of the reasons I'd get VR day one is to prove to the devs that I want to see more of this. I'd love a full Rogue Squadron VR, will buy day one if the collector's edition has an X-Wing statuette (and might still buy day one if it has not). From what I've played now, I'd mostly be about the chill games like How We Soar, I feel like I need a steering wheel before I can really enjoy VR racing.

P.S. Now that we're talking about it: I managed to get another go yesterday and I tried Batman and Bound. Batman was awesome, think I'll get some move controllers after all... yeah it's gimmicky but it's the good kind of gimmicky.  Boud looked good but the camera handling was a bit weird. The camera is fixed and by using :r3: you can move closer to (or farther from) the character, or rotate around her. Feels really weird if you have to run for a while, to constantly have to pull the camera along.

If I can manage to do so, I'll try to get a turn on Moto Racer 4. Driveclub was a letdown and I really want to be able to say it's specifically that game's fault, for that I need to know that VR is able to handle racing speeds better in other titles.

Nah, it's probably way more. Moto Racer 4 is a big title which will get a disc, I'm willing to bet Ace Combat - Gran Turismo Sport - Robinson will all get discs as well.

At the start, it might seem like more is digital than on disc but if VR proves to be a money maker to devs, then the big guys will fully join - there's a bunch of big titles coming out already but many big devs are starting with bit stuff, like a short Batman Arkham game, one X-Wing mission, Tomb Raider DLC...

Honestly, one of the reasons I'd get VR day one is to prove to the devs that I want to see more of this. I'd love a full Rogue Squadron VR, will buy day one if the collector's edition has an X-Wing statuette (and might still buy day one if it has not). From what I've played now, I'd mostly be about the chill games like How We Soar, I feel like I need a steering wheel before I can really enjoy VR racing.

P.S. Now that we're talking about it: I managed to get another go yesterday and I tried Batman and Bound. Batman was awesome, think I'll get some move controllers after all... yeah it's gimmicky but it's the good kind of gimmicky.  Boud looked good but the camera handling was a bit weird. The camera is fixed and by using :r3: you can move closer to (or farther from) the character, or rotate around her. Feels really weird if you have to run for a while, to constantly have to pull the camera along.

If I can manage to do so, I'll try to get a turn on Moto Racer 4. Driveclub was a letdown and I really want to be able to say it's specifically that game's fault, for that I need to know that VR is able to handle racing speeds better in other titles.

I'm pretty sure you can play Moto Racer 4 without the vr headset but you are right. More VR retail games are getting added all the time so the list will definitely expand. 

I'm pretty sure you can play Moto Racer 4 without the vr headset but you are right. More VR retail games are getting added all the time so the list will definitely expand. 

Yes, Moto Racer 4 will be VR compatible, not VR required. Still, it's a game you can play with VR which comes out on disc... Hustle Kings, Super Stardust and Ace Combat are all compatible with VR, not required (I'm not counting Driveclub since the VR part seems to be actually a different game, not just the regular game in VR).

Yes, Moto Racer 4 will be VR compatible, not VR required. Still, it's a game you can play with VR which comes out on disc... Hustle Kings, Super Stardust and Ace Combat are all compatible with VR, not required (I'm not counting Driveclub since the VR part seems to be actually a different game, not just the regular game in VR).

Yeah, Driveclub VR seems to be a VR specific game and on the box art it says vr required. 

DriveClub%20VR%20box%20art.png