PlayStation VR games discussion for VR players

Oobedoob S Benubi

HOLY FREAKING MARIO!

I just started The Playroom VR, for funsies... My wife is not at home right now so I did some single player stuff, which really only is a trophy room and one game... Robots Rescue.

EVERYBODY WITH VR, GO PLAY ROBOTS RESCUE RIGHT NOW! It's just one simple level but I kid you not, this is what Super Mario would be if Nintendo went VR. Bright colors, catchy tunes, platforming to collect coins and robots. I think I have not been this amazed by a videogame since I played Super Mario 64 for the first time...

Even though I played Robots Rescue, and haven't touched a Nintendo 64 in at least three years, I somehow find myself with this tune in my head now:

• Like 1

That's the first time I have seen you get so excited. :)

I will give it a go in a sec, atm I have got a stroppy teenage Japanese girl not happy about being kept in her bedroom ;)

PS: I don't know if you do friends or any of that so I didn't add you, if you do however then please add me, I like your written approach on these forums and it would be a priviledge to have you as a friend. If not, then its cool... just keep posting here :)

Edited by JapanimeGamer

That's the first time I have seen you get so excited. :)

I will give it a go in a sec, atm I have got a stroppy teenage Japanese girl not happy about being kept in her bedroom ;)

PS: I don't know if you do friends or any of that so I didn't add you, if you do however then please add me, I like your written approach on these forums and it would be a priviledge to have you as a friend. If not, then its cool... just keep posting here :)

I indeed feel more excited about this little level than I have been about any specific game in a while. It helps that I've only been on this forum for a few months, you may see me this excited again when the new South Park game has been released :) but yeah gaming wise it's been a bit of a dry spell in awesome stuff, might just be why I didn't want to game at all a month ago. It might also help that Playroom is something I have not paid any attention to since it was 'just' a free game and I did not even pay attention to the previous one. This means it managed to surprise me completely, which few games get the chance to do :D

Have fun with Summer Lesson, glad to hear you're enjoying the game you've been looking forward to. And yeah I added you... I'm not fussy about forum friends stuff, it's a good way to get in contact with people you talk with regularly.

I tried some more stuff, did not play any full games but I tried a few demos and movies.

INVASION! is a funny short flick. It does not try to be as emotional or artsy as Allumette but it's fun, and it seems like they're going to make more... I felt like I was back in the day where they would show cartoon shorts before the big movies, like Pixar still does.

Littlstar: Tried watching Last Man Standing (360 degrees zombie movie) but did not watch much. Tip: 360 degrees does not mean 3D and they could not get the movie to run at high definition for me.

PSVR demo: Instead of using the disc, I downloaded the Demo and turns out there's more in the EU demo than initially reported. I tried Thumper (amazing), Wayward Skies (too short a demo but it looks promising), EVE (not for me, I'll wait for X-Wing).

Thought: I hope that before X-Wing arrives, PS4 will have a joystick of some sort.

My wife and I are alternating turns at the moment and we both have agreed that Until dawn Rush of blood has been the best experience so far, my wife also liked Job simulator.

Sometimes it can seem like theres a ' faint mesh' hindering the view a little, have you seen this? just in general, not in any specific game but moreover in all demo's.

Sometimes it can seem like theres a ' faint mesh' hindering the view a little, have you seen this? just in general, not in any specific game but moreover in all demo's.

Are you talking about the screen door effect? If so then yes I notice it from time to time, mostly when I look at something close to me and depending on the game. It's small and occasional enough that it does not really bother me though.

Meanwhile, I have bought Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes. Really want my wife to get home so we can play that and Playroom.

If I buy anything else, it's probably either Thumper or Batman but at this point I think Thumper is more deserving of a full price buy.

I played a bit of Bound, it looks good but I do not really like the stationary teleporting camera. They should have gone with a camera that moves along with the character, Robots Rescue shows that it can be done just fine.

Edited by BillyHorrible

Went to the EB games Expo in Sydney this year and they did a VR promo for several games like the new Resident evil which scared the S%%t outta me lol and the various promo games like the Luge, deep sea diver, etc.

Im excited as all get out for this and once the tech is mainstream solid then hopefully they will make all games compatible and be able to play in 3D which is as close to a holodeck as we will see for the next 50 plus yrs id say lol

I take back what I said about Cinema Mode, gave it a try with Netflix and it looks pretty decent.

NOTE: if you take a look at the VR options (hold down the PS button and it's in the menu), you'll realise you can actually set the screen to appear even larger!

Driveclub VR

Don't know if you have noticed but there are trophies now.

http://psnprofiles.com/trophies/5439-DRIVECLUB-VR

I would have put this in the trophies thread but a mod closed it without actually commenting so I figured I'd better post it here.

PlayStation Plus subscribers in Japan and Asia can now download Cyber Danganronpa VR: The Class Trial. Interestingly enough, the demo has English voice-overs, so there's a good chance it will come to the west too.

Here's some gameplay:

It's Dangan, it was meant to come here.

The actual reason is to earn money they lost for putting it free on Japan Plus :awesome:

I got our spare non pre-ordered Starter bundle at my GameStop (I couldn't stack the 20% trade ins with my 15% employee benefits I mean wtf GameStop don't you want to encourage your employees to play the new stuff?)

I got

Batman Arkham VR

Playstation VR Worlds

Eve Valkyrie

Loading Human Chapter 1

Played some Batman. The graphics are both great and bad at the same time. When something is really close to you it looks fantastic. If it's farther away it doesn't look too great. Gameplay itself is pretty fun. It definitely has those fad device reactions of me playing with my hands and throwing batarangs for an hour lol.

Just tried the 'Kitchen' demo, it shows where the horror genre can go, 'ore of a tech demo but I thought looked very impressive, I don't even know if I could play a full game of that or not to be honest as it made me jump and even tried to move away!!

Also tried the Playroom, that was my first experience, I was really wowed by it.

The thread about do not buy PS VR has actually helped me, I was in 2 minds about just returning it given the negativity however I decided I needed to SE edit myself but my expectations had been dramatically lowered. All the negativity that has come from that post I can honestly say is exagerrated. Granted it has its shortcomings but as an experience it's great. I'm not saying I will game this way more than the traditional way, probably not even close but I can definitely see there is a market for this how the two styles can compliment one another.

• Like 1

So, me and the missus did some gaming...

Playroom: Robots Rescue works better on your own. Western can be a lot of fun. Ghosts is not bad, not as fun as Western though. Monster is a lot of fun. Cat is weird, might be because it's just one mouse but it was very easy to win for the cat.

Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes: Hilarious! We'll definitely try to get more done in this one, glad I gave those devs some money. I printed out the bomb manual on regular paper by the way.

I'm not saying I will game this way more than the traditional way, probably not even close but I can definitely see there is a market for this how the two styles can compliment one another.

I'll probably mostly game the regular way as well though VR sure has its moments (see above). Personally I think I'll want to look at weird puzzle games like Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes, party games, and the eventual Rogue Squadron VR.

Just tried the 'Kitchen' demo, it shows where the horror genre can go, 'ore of a tech demo but I thought looked very impressive, I don't even know if I could play a full game of that or not to be honest as it made me jump and even tried to move away!!

Not sure if you have already but if you can then get the Until dawn demo, it's really quite good in a similar(ish) subject.

Not sure if you have already but if you can then get the Until dawn demo, it's really quite good in a similar(ish) subject.

Being a newbie I'm on 5 posts a day for a few days max so this is my last one till tomorrow morning but I bought the full game of that along with Super Stardust Ultra VR, not even gone in with the full games yet, just being trying out the demos. Haven't tried them all but the ones I have I've been impressed with to be fair

I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned it yet, but Volume had an update recently that added in the VR mode called Volume: CODA. If any of you own the game and PSVR, it might be worth checking out (at no additional cost!).

Pretty sure I mentioned that somewhere earlier on but so many people have joined this thread today, it definitely deserves mentioning again. If I had known it was from the makers of Thomas Was Alone then I would have bought it much earlier. It seems to have been on sale under €5 already so I'll wait for another sale but I am definitely getting this at some point.

HOLY FREAKING MARIO!

I just started The Playroom VR, for funsies... My wife is not at home right now so I did some single player stuff, which really only is a trophy room and one game... Robots Rescue.

EVERYBODY WITH VR, GO PLAY ROBOTS RESCUE RIGHT NOW! It's just one simple level but I kid you not, this is what Super Mario would be if Nintendo went VR. Bright colors, catchy tunes, platforming to collect coins and robots. I think I have not been this amazed by a videogame since I played Super Mario 64 for the first time...

Even though I played Robots Rescue, and haven't touched a Nintendo 64 in at least three years, I somehow find myself with this tune in my head now:

I just played it.  It was awesome, totally surreal.  I kept trying to look around with the thumbstick.  I was laughing out loud like a child...I'm not a child.

• Like 1

Just woke up, decided I'm not even going to bother with the NOT thread any more. If there has ever been any kind of listening to reasonable arguments, it is long gone now. My time can be better used for actual gaming, and actual normal discussions about games.

With that, having had some time to think about it, here are my top three lists of VR successes and VR disappointments:

TOP 3:

1) Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes
. It's a hectic game but it is so rewarding when you manage to disarm a bomb... it's really fun to play together with someone (can't be played on your own unless you cheat). I have seen all the (non-needy) modules now and the morse code one is easily the most difficult for us. We have three out of seven sets done now (first set was just one bomb though) and we're really starting to get accustomed to the module types. This game might start to feel repetitive after a while but my guess is that will happen long after we've obtained all trophies, and it's not like the game is expensive. Tip: get your partner a printed Bomb Manual, we didn't even try the digital one.

2) The Playroom VR: Robots Rescue. Not much replay value here but that first time you play it... Wow. Super Mario VR indeed.

3) Thumper demo. It's on the digital version of the PSVR Demo pack. It looks awesome and weird, it feels awesome and weird... have I mentioned it's awesome and weird yet? I had no trouble with motion sickness but then again I had played some other stuff before starting on Thumper (played the Battlezone demo some time after and got a bit sick from that one). I will definitely get this game though I will wait for a bit of a sale.

BONUS: VR movies.
Allumette and INVASION! both definitely show what can be done with the medium. Bring me more!

BOTTOM 3:

3) Wayward Skies demo
. Not bad, just way too short to get a good impression. It's on the digital version of the PSVR Demo pack.

2) Bound. Having to constantly adjust the camera and having it too low to the ground to see where you have to walk is annoying. They should have made the regular camera that follows the character accessible in VR. It is a nice game and I do not mind buying it but I will play the rest of it in 2D.

1) Rise Of The Tomb Raider: Blood Ties. Walking around in first person is fine but just like the Here They Lie demo I tried a month ago, the moving speed is much too slow. Shame, because the story had me from the start and the graphics are very good.

ADDITIONAL THOUGHT:
Doing first person walking in VR is a mistake devs should leave behind them. I will gladly sit in the cockpit of an X-Wing or an ordinary earth fighter jet, but there is just too much trouble with walking properly in first person. For alternatives, look at Robots Rescue which manages to have a third person tracking perspective on platforming, or Wayward Skies which has stationary cameras on spots with a good overview.

I just played it. It was awesome, totally surreal. I kept trying to look around with the thumbstick. I was laughing out loud like a child...I'm not a child.

Yeah it was so weird...

I'm in my thirties myself. I have seen the NES days and my first own console was the SNES. I've seen the technology develop over the years but I feel like the sense of wonder has gone. I would still rate the SNES as the best console ever, though the N64 managed to get to me as well, that first time I loaded up Mario, and Kart, and Rogue Squadron...

I am still blindsided from time to time (Journey, Flame Over) but we're in the digital age now so we usually know everything about a game before we start on it. It does seem that unfortunately, knowing as little as possible before you start a game is the way to ensure you can still be amazed.

I feel like VR gives us back some of that wonder, since it is becoming so different to see gameplay and actually be in it. Have you been into the Playroom trophy room yet? Tip: look behind you...

I'm going to try out EVE tomorrow around 4:00 pm EST if anyone wants to try the MP. PSN name is same as user name so feel free to send me a friend request.

I don't have the game but have fun!

Edit: I wanted to add that I have tried the Valkyrie demo and I do appreciate the work, the graphics look great and controls feel fine (not for first time VR players, get used to moving before you try this). It is mostly online multiplayer though and I am not really into that, but playing this gives me high hopes for stuff like X-Wing Mission and Ace Combat.

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 1

I just played it.  It was awesome, totally surreal.  I kept trying to look around with the thumbstick.  I was laughing out loud like a child...I'm not a child.

I played this last night too on a different account that i made purposely because i didn't want the trophies, it was really a lot of fun, i think i ended up with 14 of the little fellas, missed a couple early on as i didn't realise i couldn't go back to them.

Graphics were mostly ok, the animations were really nice when you 'kicked' the guys into your DS4 pad but occasionally the graphics were also a bit blurry or just out of focus, not that this was a major issue but it does exist.

Fun demo though.