Final Fantasy XV megathread

DPtheGod

It's kind of funny that they would do a whole event to reveal the release date of the game to then not go through with it. Only Square would do that.  xD Personally though, I'm hoping the rumours of a delay are true. There's too many damn games to play at the moment. Besides, what's two more months for a game we've been waiting a decade for?  :P

I wonder if the delay has anything to do with the Persona 5 release date being so close to it. They must know P5 is gonna destroy FFXV in terms of sales in Japan. But I'm getting a little ahead of myself. It's not even been confirmed yet.

Oh yea, the last thing that was missing from complete AAAness, delay.

Hopefully the rumor won't be true.

I wonder if the delay has anything to do with the Persona 5 release date being so close to it. They must know P5 is gonna destroy FFXV in terms of sales in Japan. But I'm getting a little ahead of myself. It's not even been confirmed yet.

In that case, I would presume they would do everything in their power to release it before P5...

Hard to know... For some reason I feel Square is too afraid... This may not end up well.

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

Hmm, Persona 5 is AAA and wasn't delayed. Oh, wait...

I really don't think niche game can be considered AAA... Persona is still niche despite all the success.

I know it was delayed and it obviously pissed me off. If they delay it again, I'll obviously be angry.

Maybe you think otherwise, but I'm not hating on the game.

It's the process SE is doing that's pissing me off.

I understand you are really looking forward to the game and I don't want you to feel unpleasant about it.

But if I make you angry with my comments, I apologize for that and you can ignore them if you wish.

Apparently, your definition of AAA is "too western-ish." 

And it isn't? =D

AAA games are big budget games. Japanese games rarely get that big budgets like western studios =D

Yea, in this case, I used it incorrectly, that was my mistake. There should have been too western :awesome:

EDIT: Now that I think about it... maybe I have never actually explained the root of my worries.

Whenever JRPG or Japanese game is western affected, it never ends well.

Here are some examples.

Dark Souls 3 - because the demand was too big so they had to rush the release and it ended up weaker than previous installments

Star Ocean 5 was edited because western release was already planned, in other words, it was meant to appeal to both. What it ended up as? Low sales, pretty bad acceptance among both groups of fans.

Zero Time Dilemma - simple puzzles, cinematic way of storytelling, sure it was a brilliant game, but compared to previous installments, it severely lacked :(

Sure, there are not that many, but the important is that they are from newer games.

(I could probably add Persona 4, but others would probably kill me, plus, the actual release was pretty old).

Simply said, they lose something unique. Some uniqueness that makes them so enjoyable.

I would be glad if FFXV blew away my worries, but I can't simply stop them when I see how FFXV expands.

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

It's kind of funny that they would do a whole event to reveal the release date of the game to then not go through with it. Only Square would do that.  xD Personally though, I'm hoping the rumours of a delay are true. There's too many damn games to play at the moment. Besides, what's two more months for a game we've been waiting a decade for?  :P

I doubt they're even scared of Persona 5. Obviously it's the only threat to FFXV, but FF is FF and it will get a ton of people to buy the game just for the name alone. But I think it's obvious that this game is the highest production we've ever seen for an FF game. So I guess that would make a little bit of sense if it were delayed. But still no official word, so I am not buying it until Square confirms.

https://twitter.com/RedMakuzawa/status/764266245503922176?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

More and more likely it is still releasing on schedule. Like I said, I don't buy some random rumour.

AAA games are big budget games. Japanese games rarely get that big budgets like western studios =D

The first installment of the series premiered in Japan on December 18, 1987. The original Square Enix Co., Ltd. was formed as the result of a merger between Square Co., Ltd. and Enix Corporation on April 1, 2003. Each share of Square's common stock was exchanged for 0.85 shares of Enix's common stock. At the time, 80% of Square Enix staff were made up of former Square employees. As part of the merger, former Square president Yoichi Wada was appointed a president of the new corporation, while former Enix president Keiji Honda was named its vice president, and the founder of Enix, Yasuhiro Fukushima, the largest shareholder of the combined corporation, became its honorary chairman.

The company owns the arcade gaming corporation Taito, best known for games such as Space Invaders, Bubble Bobble, Arkanoid, Darius, and Lufia. Square Enix also owns game publisher Eidos Interactive, which has been absorbed into Square Enix Europe. Square Enix now publishes all of Eidos's intellectual property and runs Eidos's development studios. Eidos was most well known for publishing the Tomb Raider, Hitman, Deus Ex, Legacy of Kain, and Thief series of games.

Final Fantasy XV is a Japanese game made by a Japanese company that has western elements & ideas.

Maybe you think otherwise, but I'm not hating on the game.

It's the process SE is doing that's pissing me off.

I understand you are really looking forward to the game and I don't want you to feel unpleasant about it.

But if I make you angry with my comments, I apologize for that and you can ignore them if you wish.

Relax :lol: . I'm not angry or anything I was trying to discuss and bring up valid points, that's all. 

EDIT: Now that I think about it... maybe I have never actually explained the root of my worries.

Here are some examples.

Dark Souls 3 - because the demand was too big so they had to rush the release and it ended up weaker than previous installments

Star Ocean 5 was edited because western release was already planned, in other words, it was meant to appeal to both. What it ended up as? Low sales, pretty bad acceptance among both groups of fans.

Zero Time Dilemma - simple puzzles, cinematic way of storytelling, sure it was a brilliant game, but compared to previous installments, it severely lacked :(

Sure, there are not that many, but the important is that they are from newer games.

(I could probably add Persona 4, but others would probably kill me, plus, the actual release was pretty old).

Simply said, they lose something unique. Some uniqueness that makes them so enjoyable.

I would be glad if FFXV blew away my worries, but I can't simply stop them when I see how FFXV expands.

I totally get that. Despite me fanboying over FFXV no matter what, I have a slight worry that it might not turn out great due to western influence when obviously the western studios can develop games with the same vibe and better.

Edited by Xeliot
  • Like 2

Guys, SE are not even focus on Persona's releasing date, they're focusing on their own game. SE wouldn't mind if Persona 5 gets release date before them or not. All that matters is what the fans wanted, which is the game.

Hypothetical talk that comes from the fact that SE asked fans if they would buy both P5 and FFXV if the release windows were close to each other (in Japan).

That's why. 

It simply looked like SE was worried P5 could affect XV sales.

Hypothetical talk that comes from the fact that SE asked fans if they would buy both P5 and FFXV if the release windows were close to each other (in Japan).

That's why. 

It simply looked like SE was worried P5 could affect XV sales.

Anybody that is a fan of gaming and isn't a fanboy would be more than happy to buy both games if they released on the same day.

Which game got the priority to play first is really up to preference though, but both games are must buys and shouldn't be pitted against each other.

I also really wish people would stop saying XV has been delayed 10 years. It hasn't. Versus XIII isn't XV. The current build that we know as XV has been in development for four years, and that's about on par with big name AAA titles. So the ten year jokes really should stop. It's not funny, or cute, it's just flat out ignorant.

Edited by Valyrious

No one is joking everyone knows it's taken 10 years you have to accept that. I can't believe they would piss away this golden opportunity. COD will sell 20-30 million,Dishonored 2 should sell 3-4 million,Pokemon is set for 20 million. So where does that leave FFXV? You can not compete with these titles,atleast in September you have a chance to win awards and the only other big game is Fifa.

And I know some of you will say these other franchises/fan bases aren't the same but they are. This is final fantasy not crap like persona.

Have you even played Persona? Pardon me, but you seem like the type of person that likes what he likes and hates everything else.

Played the series earlier this year actually didn't really like it. Just my opinion of it fell very short maybe a 5/10 series 6 if I'm generous.

And that is a perfect description I ether love it or hate it. Very few games fall in that middle. I'm especially harsh if it is a hyped game like say...chrono trigger. I've been trying to stay away from certain news for games because I fall on the hype like XV.

Edited by ShadowStrike002

Played the series earlier this year actually didn't really like it. Just my opinion of it fell very short maybe a 5/10 series 6 if I'm generous.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but why you had to speak about the game in such negative way? 

Forget what I just said. This conversation will be stretched out for too long and nothing substantial will come out of it.

Edited by Xeliot

Here are some examples.

I had to call you out on this one.  xD The Souls series has been influenced by western games since the very beginning. The gameplay itself shows that. Also Dark Souls II is unanimously considered the worst Souls game out there. From my own experiences, and what with I've heard from others, Dark Souls III is actually considered to be one of the better Souls games. Just throwing that out there.  :P

I doubt they're even scared of Persona 5. Obviously it's the only threat to FFXV, but FF is FF and it will get a ton of people to buy the game just for the name alone. But I think it's obvious that this game is the highest production we've ever seen for an FF game. So I guess that would make a little bit of sense if it were delayed. But still no official word, so I am not buying it until Square confirms.

Guys, SE are not even focus on Persona's releasing date, they're focusing on their own game. SE wouldn't mind if Persona 5 gets release date before them or not. All that matters is what the fans wanted, which is the game.

Oh I think they are scared of Persona 5, and for very good reason. Persona is very big in Japan. Maybe not quite at Final Fantasy's level, but it's getting there. P5 is much closer to a traditional JRPG, which will appeal to Japanese players, while FFXV is first and foremost targeted at the western audience and plays like a western game. Then you have to consider how P5 is launching on both PS3 and PS4 whilst FFXV is only launching on PS4. Japan has been much slower to embrace the new hardware compared to the rest of the world. Many of them are perfectly happy to keep playing games on PS3 and don't have a PS4 yet. You can bet Square are concerned about P5, and the survey they sent out asking if consumers would buy FFXV or P5 shows that. They know launching so close to P5 will certainly affect sales, so it would be wise of them to move out of P5's way.

Anybody that is a fan of gaming and isn't a fanboy would be more than happy to buy both games if they released on the same day.

Which game got the priority to play first is really up to preference though, but both games are must buys and shouldn't be pitted against each other.

It's not just about being a fanboy or not though. A lot of people have a limited amount of money to spend on games and can't afford both. If both are coming out so soon to each other, it's reasonable to think that people will have to pick one.

I also really wish people would stop saying XV has been delayed 10 years. It hasn't. Versus XIII isn't XV. The current build that we know as XV has been in development for four years, and that's about on par with big name AAA titles. So the ten year jokes really should stop. It's not funny, or cute, it's just flat out ignorant.

mtAJVh6.png

I know I am already late to the party by nearly 2 years (at least less than PS3 where I got a PS3 in 2012), but I can't wait to buy a PS4 with a copy of FF XV. The hype is too real for me, it may not have the traditional final fantasy gameplay but it still looks great. Plus, there are plenty of games that emulate the Final Fantasy formula so it's not as necessary to have a traditional final fantasy like with Persona, where there are very little games like it (Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold steel comes to mind).

More sources are chiming in confirming the delay. Again, nothing official. Apparently Gamestop will be putting out advertisements of the new release date tomorrow, so it's possible (if that rumour is true), we could see an official announcement as early as tomorrow.

I still remain hopeful that they can polish it up on schedule. But if it does get pushed back, at least it's four days after my birthday so not the end of the world I guess.

I don't have much to add to this conversation since i'm not into FF, other than the fact that this game's development cycle is fascinating to an outsider but the Souls series is western in everything but name, really. Japanese developer yeah but it draws its influences from alot of western games and media more than it is typical JRPG. That and while Dark Souls III isn't perfect, its not a bad game. Far from it.

COD will sell 20-30 million,Dishonored 2 should sell 3-4 million,Pokemon is set for 20 million.

Are you talking about how many units sold these games will sell September or how much money these games will make September?

Because either way those numbers are absurd.

While I could see Dishonored 2 selling 3-4 million units, I don't see it happening in one month. If it only sold enough to make 3-4 million dollars that would be a huge flop with something like 50,000 units sold between three platforms (PS4/Xbone/PC)

A COD will selling 20-30 million units is normal, but not in one month. If it only sold enough to make 20-30 million dollars that would be a huge flop with something like 500,000 units sold between three platforms.

Pokemon Sun and Moon selling 20 million is a little above normal for a Pokemon game, but not in one month. If it only sold enough to make 20 million dollars that would be a huge flop with something like 500,000 units sold.

FFXV will at the very least sell 1 million units in whatever month it is released and will make at least 60 million dollars.

Edited by soultaker655

No one is joking everyone knows it's taken 10 years you have to accept that. I can't believe they would piss away this golden opportunity. COD will sell 20-30 million,Dishonored 2 should sell 3-4 million,Pokemon is set for 20 million. So where does that leave FFXV? You can not compete with these titles,atleast in September you have a chance to win awards and the only other big game is Fifa.

And I know some of you will say these other franchises/fan bases aren't the same but they are. This is final fantasy not crap like persona.

Umm...don't forget Square are the ones who publish Call of Duty games in Japan.