Final Fantasy XV megathread

DPtheGod

But the only I don't get it is why people shall give it a lower score if they haven't played the game yet, even the game still hasn't been released yet .  -_-

Well those people usually aren't interested in the game anyway. They see people excited for it, and for whatever reason, they want to see it fail. I wouldn't really take them seriously.

• Like 2

But the only I don't get it is why people shall give it a lower score if they haven't played the game yet, even the game still hasn't been released yet .  -_-

IMO there are 3 reasons why people would give it a low score:

1. There are those old school fans who are stuck in the past and don't want the franchise to evolve.
  2. The game has been getting a tremendous amount of hype and with that comes high expectations. That being said, Square Enix has to meet those expectations otherwise, people will start whining. (Just like the No Man's Sky scenario). You know how it is with this gen.
  3. Like what our good pal Undead Wolf said, there are those who are not interested but just want to troll for the sake of trolling.
  • Like 2

Just wait and watch people give it a 0 on Metacritic for the silliest reasons. The negativity surrounding this game is astounding. It's beyond my comprehension.

Well, as long as it impresses me that's all that matters to me anyway.

This. So much this! I don't give a damn if some dude on IGN, or Gamespot, or Game Informer, etc. likes the game or not. I barely even read reviews anymore, because 99% of the time I disagree with some shit they said anyway. I.E., I read a negative review for Kingsglaive about a week ago, and the woman had about three paragraphs of actual review, three of "okay so this is a movie okayyyy" bullshit. In the actual review, she only cited people and places having names she couldn't remember or seemed "too hard to pronounce," and the combination of Aaron Paul, Sean Bean, and Lena Headey made it to where everyone else sounded poor in their VA. She rated it like a 3/10 or something. That would be like saying "I don't like FFXV because it's not out yet."

Final Fantasy XV is under a laser microscope across the entire internet. Every piece of news (even "hey we have white chocobos!") that comes out is heavily criticized by everyone, and there's not enough of us who are fans and/or excited to play, or even level headed to stand out against the crowd. No game has ever been scrutinized as much as FFXV, at least to my recollection.

Well those people usually aren't interested in the game anyway. They see people excited for it, and for whatever reason, they want to see it fail. I wouldn't really take them seriously.

IMO there are 3 reasons why people would give it a low score:

• There are those old school fans who are stuck in the past and don't want the franchise to evolve.
  • The game has been getting a tremendous amount of hype and with that comes high expectations. That being said, Square Enix has to meet those expectations otherwise, people will start whining. (Just like the No Man's Sky scenario). You know how it is with this gen.
  • Like what our good pal Undead Wolf said, there are those who are not interested but just want to troll for the sake of trolling.

Yup to all of these. "This is Final Fantasy, so it sucks." or "WTF, I play as a group of guys only? This game sucks." or "OMG it's not TURN BASED LIKE THE 90'S!" and stuff. It's kind of pathetic to see the number of people, vocally anyway, unwilling to approach this game with an open mind. Hell, even Sakaguchi has gone on the record multiple times and has stated he has full faith in Tabata and co in making Final Fantasy great again, and half the people comaplaining the game changed too much idolize him, but ignore this and also even Sakaguchi himself said the games need to evolve.

Absolutely loved Kingsglaive. It definitely hypes me up even more for the game.

Same! I just watched it last night and am even more pumped for FFXV now. Without noting spoilers, it made me hope for a few battles, though haha

• Like 1

So I saw Kingsglaive today and much to my surprise, I really liked it. I can see how general audiences and reviewers might be completely baffled by this (7% on Rotten Tomatoes currently lol), but as a prelude to a game and movie made for fans, it does a great job in my opinion.

I was actually shocked by how much I liked the characters, especially Nyx (kinda wish he was the main character of FF XV). A lot of them were interesting enough to warrant more backstory, but alas there was no time for that in the movie. The plot itself is "just" serviceable, nothing that will blow anyone's mind, but it's genuinely suspenseful at times, it kept me interested all the way through and it sets up the events that lead up to the game perfectly. Also, insane action, lots of neat easter eggs for FF fans and a really well done score (getting the soundtrack for sure).

Damn, I can't believe I'm getting excited for a FF game after all these years ;)

• Like 1

Honestly, I don't know what to think about FFXV.  The E3 demo looked like a disaster and the combat still looks pretty sloppy, but the world just seems to invite exploration and the sense of wonder is real. For me, Crisis Core was the last great Final Fantasy and while XV doesn't need to be great for me to want to play it, I need to see more before I commit.

Honestly, I don't know what to think about FFXV.  The E3 demo looked like a disaster and the combat still looks pretty sloppy, but the world just seems to invite exploration and the sense of wonder is real. For me, Crisis Core was the last great Final Fantasy and while XV doesn't need to be great for me to want to play it, I need to see more before I commit.

Did you already watch / skim through the 50 mins gameplay video? It shows a lot of stuff in there, and the combat is looking very fluid, refined, and consistent. It's also the game before any optimization, fine-tuning, fixes, etc. so the visuals are not what will be launched in November. Nonetheless, it's worth watching still!

Square has also announced FFXV will be at TGS with a new trailer, stage presentation, and also playable. It's not confirmed whether or not it will be a new build, but I'd have to guess not. However, TGS is a huge opportunity for them to continue growing interest in their Japanese market, so I wouldn't put it past them.

I have some faith, Square have proven to us they can still make a great game with the Bravely series so since then my confidence has boosted with them... the last FF I connected to was 10 (I'm not counting side games.. if I was I'd count Dirge but I'll get pooped on for liking it.... the story was fun... shoot me lol).... 12 was raved about but I was at that age where I hated everything when it came out.. so the HD I'll give it another chance as I'm older and not stupid anymore. But 15.... well I'm hopeful... and praying. 

Final Fantasy XV is under a laser microscope across the entire internet. Every piece of news (even "hey we have white chocobos!") that comes out is heavily criticized by everyone, and there's not enough of us who are fans and/or excited to play, or even level headed to stand out against the crowd. No game has ever been scrutinized as much as FFXV, at least to my recollection.

Yup to all of these. "This is Final Fantasy, so it sucks." or "WTF, I play as a group of guys only? This game sucks." or "OMG it's not TURN BASED LIKE THE 90'S!" and stuff. It's kind of pathetic to see the number of people, vocally anyway, unwilling to approach this game with an open mind. Hell, even Sakaguchi has gone on the record multiple times and has stated he has full faith in Tabata and co in making Final Fantasy great again, and half the people comaplaining the game changed too much idolize him, but ignore this and also even Sakaguchi himself said the games need to evolve.

I couldn't agree more. We seem to forget that these are video games, and we can be very unappreciative and cynical sometimes. I feel sorry for Tabata and his team, no matter what they say or do is immediately criticised. We have to accept the game for what it is. Maybe Nomura's intended project could've been amazing, but it could've been the opposite. You never know. Would you be okay waiting for Nomura to get off his lazy ass to finish the game in another ten years and then bomb so hard? Of course not. The turn based system has reached it's peak after FFX if they make another Final Fantasy with the same battle system the gameplay would be the same as previous installments but with a different story and less imaginative than before. Let Persona take care of that I'm sure Persona 5 going to be nothing less than amazing, but FF as a franchise has to move on to something new. I think that XV is going to be among the best in the series, and it doesn't have to please everyone. 

Edited by Xeliot
  • Like 1

I couldn't agree more. We seem to forget that these are video games, and we can be very unappreciative and cynical sometimes. I feel sorry for Tabata and his team, no matter what they say or do is immediately criticised. We have to accept the game for what it is. Maybe Nomura's intended project could've been amazing, but it could've been the opposite. You never know. Would you be okay waiting for Nomura to get off his lazy ass to finish the game in another ten years and then bomb so hard? Of course not. The turn based system has reached it's peak after FFX if they make another Final Fantasy with the same battle system the gameplay would be the same as previous installments but with a different story and less imaginative than before. Let Persona take care of that I'm sure Persona 5 going to be nothing less than amazing, but FF as a franchise has to move on to something new. I think that XV is going to be among the best in the series, and it doesn't have to please everyone.

Agreed! I also feel bad for Tabata and team, and I think he is doing a wonderful job in taking all this pressure, criticism, aggression, and everything else. If I was in his shoes, I know I'd lose my composure and basically throw this game in the trash. That being said, I'm glad I'm not him haha. But, I have a high amount of respect for this guy. He took on this project that was already in development hell. The game existed, in whatever fashion, for almost seven years before he took over. And, as he said in a recent interview, certain things were promised during FFVXIII and the reveal for FFXV that he now has to deliver on, which some of those things made this a more difficult development cycle. But, he's devoted to what the fans want, albeit crazy things that take time.

• Like 1

Did you already watch / skim through the 50 mins gameplay video? It shows a lot of stuff in there, and the combat is looking very fluid, refined, and consistent. It's also the game before any optimization, fine-tuning, fixes, etc. so the visuals are not what will be launched in November. Nonetheless, it's worth watching still!

Square has also announced FFXV will be at TGS with a new trailer, stage presentation, and also playable. It's not confirmed whether or not it will be a new build, but I'd have to guess not. However, TGS is a huge opportunity for them to continue growing interest in their Japanese market, so I wouldn't put it past them.

I did watch through quite a bit of what was shown around GDC, so not sure if this is what you are referring to or not. I guess I'm just not sold on the combat system in general from vids I've seen, but will give FFXV's a shot.  Square has proven that they still can build a great combat system, even if other elements of their recent games have been lacking.  I don't like being so pessimistic about one of my favorite series (purchased an SNES, PS1, and PS2 solely for the next installment in the series and I credit the NES original with getting me obsessed with RPG's and games in the first place), so I really hope XV makes me fall in love with the series all over again.

• Like 1

Just wait and watch people give it a 0 on Metacritic for the silliest reasons. The negativity surrounding this game is astounding. It's beyond my comprehension.

Well, as long as it impresses me that's all that matters to me anyway.

people will give a 0 on any game on metacritic for reasons. even masterpieces and uncharted 2 are not exempt from this.

I really don't wanna bash on this game because I have high hopes for it but what I saw at E3 idk It doesn't look finished? Something felt wrong to the point I canceled my Pre-order :/ 

(talking about them fighting the giant)

That's alright, that giant battle is going down as the most hilariously incompetent game presentation in the history of E3. It was fascinating to watch, like a massive train crash in slow motion.

I'm pretty sure it'll be fine in the final game. Hopefully.

• Like 1

I really don't wanna bash on this game because I have high hopes for it but what I saw at E3 idk It doesn't look finished? Something felt wrong to the point I canceled my Pre-order :/ 

Yeah, that demo was a complete utter mess. Thankfully Hollie from PS access did an excellent job of demonstrating the Titan demo. 

An awesome article about FFXV & Hajime Tabata talking about the delay, I feel sorry for this guy :/ 

http://www.vg247.com/2016/09/01/final-fantasy-15-interview-tabata-talks-delays-versus-fan-expectation-and-more/

Edited by Xeliot
  • Like 1

Well, the guy on the demo stage wasn't playing very well, he gets hitting himself by a Titan without dodging it.  :S

Yeah, that demo was a complete utter mess. Thankfully Hollie from PS access did an excellent job of demonstrating the Titan demo. 

An awesome article about FFXV & Hajime Tabata talking about the delay, I feel sorry for this guy :/ 

http://www.vg247.com/2016/09/01/final-fantasy-15-interview-tabata-talks-delays-versus-fan-expectation-and-more/

Looks like Hollie did better than the guy on Demo's stage.  :)

• Like 1