Marvel's Captain Marvel Movie Discussion

BooneIronshield

53O81tE.jpg?4

With today's announcement that Brie Larson has been cast in the role of Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel I figured I would start a topic about the movie.

Here's the link to the announcement - https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/757036099910955008

I've never seen a single thing Brie Larson has been in so I have no expectations on how she'll do. Looking at some of her pictures on IMDB I can see the potential, though she is a few inches shorter (which isn't a big deal of course given we are talking about a comic book character after all lol).

I'm personally really looking forward to the movie as this character is my favorite comic book character.

I'm rather curious too on how they'll do her origin story, if they'll more or less stick with the comic version or change it up quite a bit for the movie.

What's everyone else's thoughts on this? Any particular characters you'd like to see in the movie, either heroes or villains?

I'm looking forward to this as with the other Marvel films. I can't say anything about the characters though, since I'm not familiar with them. Can't wait to see any updates on this.

I'm going to try to keep this updated as more news, images and trailers are revealed as it gets closer and closer to when the movie actually starts filming and as it gets closer to the release date.

Good to see some super heroines getting film time, though I have no idea who the villain should be

I'm hoping they stick with Yon-Rogg like in the comics when she got her powers, but maybe drop the 9 year gap between when it happened and when she debuted as Ms. Marvel lol. I'm also hoping they don't try to shove the Infinity Stones in it and make it to where she gets her powers from one of them but we'll see.

• 2 years later...
On 7/24/2016 at 2:10 PM, BooneIronshield said:

I'm going to try to keep this updated as more news, images and trailers are revealed as it gets closer and closer to when the movie actually starts filming and as it gets closer to the release date.

*Last visited: December 25, 2016*

"...And not a single fuck was given after that day."

Any feminist can label me what they please (despite the fact the "sticks and stones may break my bones" golden rule never meant anything to them from the beginning) because refuse to watch this movie. I have however taken my time to watch 3 reviews for this movie. From what I understand the movie is painfully average for MCU standards, not bad at all but simply not close enough to being great. Associating Captain Marvel with the other Marvel movies would be like grouping Cars 2 and The Good Dinosaur with every other Pixar film. The first of the 3 reviews I watched claimed the movie was boring/weak during the first half but got somewhere during the second half (exactly what I thought about Rouge One: A Star Wars Story!).

I was surprised Goose wasn't a complete gimmick to boost the interest for this film because let's face it, people like cat videos on internet (just don't bring up Nyan Cat, okay?) so it made perfect sense (commercially) to slap an irrelevant figure on various movie posters.

Here before Top Gun gets a remake only for it to end up like Ghostbusters 2016 because an entire chunk of the trailer had that movie written all over it! Those plastic surgery patients (Get it? Because their faces plastic! Kathleen Kennedy, anyone?) can take my breath away all they want...

Edited by Skeptical69

22 hours ago, Skeptical69 said:

(exactly what I thought about Rouge One: A Star Wars Story!)

well since Rogue One was IMO the best Star Wards movie of them all (yes, even the old ones, hate me, I don't care :D) I don't value your opinion highly :D:D 

For me, Captain Marvel is definitely in the Top 3 of the MCU movies, with Ironman 1 and Avenger 1. I'm not sure how I would order these three though.

Place 4 goes to Civil War.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sicho said:

well since Rogue One was IMO the best Star Wards movie of them all (yes, even the old ones, hate me, I don't care :D) I don't value your opinion highly :D:D

Rogue One (notice my spelling error in my comment?) is not perfect but to me it beats TFA, TLJ and SOLO as the best of the four Disney Star Wars films by a landslide.

I give credit to Rogue One for including slight humor. Remember when everyone complained about the humor in The Last Jedi being out of place in a Space Opera? Sure, Poe's "jokes" are corny and his character in TLJ is obnoxious (blame the poor writing/direction towards male characters) but kudos to Oscar Isaac for General Huggs, I guess. xD) But to me that's slight hypocrisy because no one criticized K2SO for being Rogue One's punchline! I remember seeing this at the cinema (literally the day after Carrie Fisher passed away) and there were quite a few giggles in the crowd so that worked. K2SO was the one character that hurt me seeing him die, unlike the other forgettable side characters like Rambo's long lost cousin, Mr. Magoo and that one Legend featured on the Apex Legends box art. Don't forget Darth Vader's "aspirations" pun, LMFAO!

But then again, why was everyone complaining about humor in Star Wars? There's been humor in it's own ways present in this franchise since the beginning, aside from the (prequel) memes. Nothing is wrong with humor in a Star War film as long as it's fitting, not out of fashion or comedic for the sake of comedy, unlike TLJ! Marvel movies traditionally never featured humor, let alone the comics (unless it's Deadpool). Guardians Of The Galaxy is just one big budget comedy skit and this mix between the serious tone of superhero movies and comedy shapes things up a bit. Thor Ragnarok was nothing like the previous Thor movies by experimenting with this mixture of entertainment. Fuck, even Infinity War hosted a shit ton of jokes!Tony Stark name-calling one of the Children Of Thanos "Squidward" is just one of many.

I think we are getting Off-Topic here :D

I still think Captain Marvel is one of the best MCU movies so far. The pacing is perfect, there's humor in it without it being (too) silly, there's a buddy movie dynamic between Larson and Jackson, the actors in general are really good in this movie, (Larson, Jackson, Law etc. all perform really good), the action is good and the 90s nostalgia is a plus. If I had to criticize something I'd say that the first 15 minutes or so are a bit lame compared to the rest and the ending is somewhat abrupt IMO.

I think I might go see it again at the cinema. The movie is a good time!

I haven't seen it, and the reviews I've heard are mixed, to say the least. Most people say it adds to the overall picture in the universe, but as a standalone movie, it's lacking. My trainer at the gym said that Brie Larson is not very good or believable as a superhero.

I'll probably wait until it comes home to video.

On 3/12/2019 at 4:09 AM, Sicho said:

Come on, man.

Edited by starcrunch061

1 minute ago, starcrunch061 said:

You know, I put the comma in place because somewhere in the back of my mind, I knew someone would make that joke. And despite my incredible, stupendous use of grammar to sidestep your joke, you still made it! 1f621.png1f600.png

I will always admire the person willing to go for the low hanging fruit. Never gets old.

1 minute ago, starcrunch061 said:

You know, I put the comma in place because somewhere in the back of my mind, I knew someone would make that joke. And despite my incredible, stupendous use of grammar to sidestep your joke, you still made it! ??

I couldn't resist.
(is what most girls say when they see me)

7 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

I haven't seen it, and the reviews I've heard are mixed, to say the least. Most people say it adds to the overall picture in the universe, but as a standalone movie, it's lacking. My trainer at the gym said that Brie Larson is not very good or believable as a superhero.

I'll probably wait until it comes home to video.

you're really not missing much, Brie Larson was terrible and a complete mary sue. Samuel Jackson carried the whole movie. Id say it was an average movie, not bad, but not anything special either