NMS Discoveries, Hints and Tips Thread

MesopithecusUK

Ive had a 50/50 at scanning flying creatures. I'm going to have to try switching to the gun for a better aim.

My only tip so far - Depending on your starting planet conditions, Stay as long and explore as much ass possible.

I had over 50 words, 30 pack slots, and several trophies before I ever left the atmosphere.

And if you are having trouble mining with sentinels around, find a cave. They do not go under ground.

For the upgrade, do they need to be next to each other for them to work? Here is a picture of my multi tool.

IU9Sy1nm.jpg

If you notice that the scanning mods are yellow when next to each other. The mining ones are green when next to each other. The on of the far left and bottom are also mining mods. The ones that are red are gun mods which are all next to each other. Will they not work if they aren't next to each other or does having them clustered give them a boost. I would assume the same would apply for suit and ship upgrades.

Also, I found that if a point of interest is REALLY far away, go back into space and the time it takes to get to that point will have a MUCH smaller travel time.

So I only just realised, thanks to this thread that you can '100%' a planet.

Guess it's to Cactusopolis I go.

All the planets around me seem to be cold. One was heavily covered in water which was fun, even though it was -61 degrees.

Pro tip: If you're desperate for air use your jetpack to boost yourself out of the water.

100% is only for all creatures though, thankfully they don't expect us to find all artifacts :-)

Yeah my Tequila Sunrise planet was -60 as well, guess that wasn't just water we were swimming in. I haven't seen water life yet by the way. Now on to my third planet.

Yeah, I had to upload my 100% progress before it counted. I can't do that with the other planets now, they're all marked as "100%" by default and I don't seem to have any way to upload them, even though I've 100% completed one more planet since my first one, as aforementioned. I've tried uploading each species individually as well, since that still works, but it doesn't seem to unlock the milestone.

I'm on the second planet in my second solar system, this has wildlife and I'm at 30%. The planets from my previous system are still at 100%. I think if you do the 100% lock on, it locks all your other planets somehow. Just go to an undiscovered planet and you should be fine. Let me know if it helps.

I decided to go on a limb here and I had success. I did not scan all creatures on Tequila Sunrise. Found another planet, a rocky wasteland (though it looks much different than the other two empty planets I found). I locked on to the 100% and it counted, and now Tequila Sunrise is set on 100% again.

Imortant bit: if you want to legitimately 100% all your planets, don't synch the 100% until you have done every planet you discovered!

Another important bit, if you (like me) don't feel like hanging around every planet waiting for all life forms, empty planets work for the milestone as well.

Do you guys explore on foot, or take your ship everywhere?

Yes. :)

I take my ship somewhere and I'll explore further on foot, unless the planet is realy hostile. I've never found myself over five minutes walking from my ship though.

I've stuck with my first ship by the way. It's not so bad once you get the hang of how to do inventory.

Edited by BillyHorrible

On foot as much as possible.  I tend to land at one of the outposts and then explore on foot from there

I think it's amazing how different we both play and how neither of us is better off than the other. Same amount of game time, same amount of fun, even the same amount of trophies yet our experiences could hardly be more different from each other.
  • Like 1

I dont get the 100% stuff .  i scanned all animals but nothing happend .  But i uploaded "planet" right after landing first time .... do i have to wait with that until finding all animals? i thought "uploading" only means claiming your discovery ... not animal infos !

im little bit confused with this 100%  , i also didnt got the 100´% unit bonus .

What I did yesterday: The opening planet was similar in climate and biome to the Siberian taiga. I found a derelict ship there while exploring. Seems like you can take possession of it, but I wasn't in the mood for spending time repairing it. Second planet was the first's moon, a cold desert with minimal plant life and at least one species of hostile animal. Also ran into some alien ruins that taught some vocabulary. Third planet was the temperate jungle planet I talked about earlier. I seem to be in the territory of the Gek, who seem to be a friendly race of traders. When I warped into the next system, I ran into a convoy of freighters.

Edited by damon8r351
  • Like 1

I dont get the 100% stuff .  i scanned all animals but nothing happend .  But i uploaded "planet" right after landing first time .... do i have to wait with that until finding all animals? i thought "uploading" only means claiming your discovery ... not animal infos !

im little bit confused with this 100%  , i also didnt got the 100´% unit bonus .

See the posts of me in answer to SuperSmexy. You have to hold down :cross: on the "100%" text in the planet menu when you've seen everything. BEWARE: doing so will lock down all the other planets you've discovered up to now.

Okay, big picture time...

Planets:

oU0BJNX.jpg

My first planet, later dubbed Frozen Grounds.

m1JX61Z.jpg

CtsFlfj.jpg

Two pictures from Danger Zone Zeta, I wanted to show in a different thread to people who don't have the game that even a single planet can look very different.

baHucIA.jpg

The planet that would be later known as Tequila Sunrise

My second solar system, dubbed the Violet Nebula:

NTr2rCZ.jpg

Animals:

CgYaRvx.jpg

I call it the Space Cow!

C2loBNl.jpg

I have no idea what this is but after being nearly killed by Brain Spiders and Scorpion Flowers, it's great to see something small and herbivorous.

NiL4suF.jpg

I really have no clue but it lives on Tequila Sunrise and looks like it has already had a few.

Warning: do not open this next one if you want to find out everything on your own!

I've seen a fair few of these but I have no clue what happened, found two very disturbing logs however. I had to share this but please don't look if you want to have nothing spoiled...

w4Bk5W2.jpg

Looks like a lab where something went wrong... or extremely right. Either case, it's bad news.

Edited by BillyHorrible

See the posts of me in answer to SuperSmexy. You have to hold down :cross: on the "100%" text in the planet menu when you've seen everything. BEWARE: doing so will lock down all the other planets you've discovered up to now.

Okay, big picture time...

i could swaer i had tried that 20 times .... and now after you tell me it works?  strange ..  so it locks old planets but not new one right?

i could swaer i had tried that 20 times .... and now after you tell me it works?  strange ..  so it locks old planets but not new one right?

Correct. I 100%ed a planet with life, locked everything I explored (everything in my first system). First planet in second system was without life, I could lock on 100% again. Second planet was with life, went on counting like normal. Third planet was without life, locked on 100% and now the second planet is locked as well.

Correct. I 100%ed a planet with life, locked everything I explored (everything in my first system). First planet in second system was without life, I could lock on 100% again. Second planet was with life, went on counting like normal. Third planet was without life, locked on 100% and now the second planet is locked as well.

ok thx .. im sure its not intended to be like this , but now i click 100% after every planet i visit .  i locked 5 planets at one because of that and only 1 counted ... but its fine ... there are enough planets out there i guess ;)

ok thx .. im sure its not intended to be like this , but now i click 100% after every planet i visit . i locked 5 planets at one because of that and only 1 counted ... but its fine ... there are enough planets out there i guess ;)

That's the way I'm thinking as well. Did about fifteen hours in my first system, going back to several planets but now I decided to just keep on truckin' :)

I was very panicked at first when I could not find my starting system any more but I found it again yet I doubt I'll ever go back.

Edited by BillyHorrible

Maybe it's just cause I always seem to end up on desert planets, but I'm bored and ready to put this game on eBay now.

Maybe I've just burned out for today but it's just such a hassle to keep everything charged that it pisses me off.

I wish the walk speed was faster.

I did find a yellow tyrannosaurus turkey though, that was interesting.

Maybe it's just cause I always seem to end up on desert planets, but I'm bored and ready to put this game on eBay now.

Maybe I've just burned out for today but it's just such a hassle to keep everything charged that it pisses me off.

I wish the walk speed was faster.

I did find a yellow tyrannosaurus turkey though, that was interesting.

I need change so I understand if the same thing every time gets boring. I'd say keep on going to different planets and even systems, you're bound to find something different. You can also just check out your desert planets, barren does not mean empty....

I've been going over the same lifeless planet for the last two to three hours. I thought it was just barren rock at first but suddenly I was in between huge plants, and then I found out that most of the planet contains huge and bizarre caverns... and there's a LOT of monoliths around. This also marks the first time I decided to force my way past a steel door by the way.

Actually, speaking of the Gex (sp?) I have something they like. I forget which trinket it is, but they are either golden pearl things or scent packets. They sound like species specific potpourri. As for the T-Rex turkey, was it six feet tall with vision based only on movement? Cause that so isn't going to work out well...

Has anyone who pre-ordered the game encountered this game-breaking bug? I'm still on the first planet, so I haven't, just curious. Hope this gets patched soon, I didn't even want the pre-order ship, and only redeemed it because of the constant prompts, if it ends up breaking the game... damn that'll suck.

Has anyone who pre-ordered the game encountered this game-breaking bug? I'm still on the first planet, so I haven't, just curious. Hope this gets patched soon, I didn't even want the pre-order ship, and only redeemed it because of the constant prompts, if it ends up breaking the game... damn that'll suck.

Thanks for the heads up!  My husband used the preorder ship right from the start so have passed the message on, seems as though he has already picked up a Hyperdrive blueprint though so was pretty lucky.

I have the pre-order ship. The hypedrive plans were at the end of a very persuasive "radio signal found" so I got it. I've also seen ships on sale with hyperdrive though so it would be just a matter of grinding to a new ship. Severely limits your options though.

I've saved up for a new ship (at almost 1.6 million units now) but I can't bring myself to get rid of the pre-order ship, it looks so sweet...

Enjoying my time with the game so far.

Few things about the way I play so far:

1. I enjoy to take my time on each planet I visit. My first planet was amazing for just that; it was lush with a lot of trees and plants and several animals, only one of which hostile and it was small and easy to kill. I returned to this planet to finish everything on it after getting the hyperdrive stuff out of the way. 

2. Naming things. I figured I only had one way to go as a history teacher...I named my first star system 'The Roman Empire' and named the planets I have visited to so far after a Roman king (Romulus was the first king of Rome, so choice for first planet), a Roman emperor (toxic environment, so Nero the insane bard of Rome seemed fitting) and a barren planet was named after Brittanicus, a boy meant to become more than he ever became because of an early death...New star systems will be different empires or world leaders or something similar.

3. Animals are named after their traits, so I can remember what kind of animals they were even after visiting dozens of planets. So the small, hostile one I mentioned before is the 'Annoying biter'. 

4. Flying creatures are tough to scan. One of those is my last to scan on Romulus and it still eludes me. I finally resorted to violence, shot one down from a high vantage point and then couldn't find the corpse...R.I.P. Will try the zoom with weapon scan again, didn't do anything while I was shooting it though, lol.

5. I enjoy getting to know the language as well, am at around 15 words all found on one planet and my standing with the aliens is growing fast. Quite easy to do that with guessing the answers.

Will play more tomorrow, probably try my luck at surviving on a hostile planet and discovering all planets in my star system.

• Like 2

Well shit, hopefully I can find a blueprint for this. The only reason I redeemed was the constant prompts like you said and I'm a good chunk of hours into the game. If anyone has a solution to get the blueprints to show up let me know, I won't be able to upgrade my ship until I find it.