NMS Discoveries, Hints and Tips Thread

MesopithecusUK

Just for anyone interesting in Official No Man's Sky merchandise

http://store.iam8bit.com/collections/no-mans-sky

Also, here's my fairly active planet from yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlBEN8-UixQ

Got the pin as a pre-order bonus (when Sony finally ships it to Holland), I'm trying to find a shirt and the LP within my own country's borders for now.

I called the game store so they would set aside a PS4 faceplate for me.

Keep it coming with the pics (and videos) people!

I'm mining ore right now for the big ship. Fun fact: if you revisit a previous system the game doesn't remember where you visited and now I can't find the place that spawns the ship I'm looking for. I am at 31 exosuit slots now though, uninhabited planets have indeed got much more exosuit upgrade machines.

Getting a wee bit annoyed with stuff but that probably is due to lack of sleep. I'll call it in early today and start fresh tomorrow.

Edit: I've decided - fuck that starship. While I was looking for it, I upgraded my exosuit from 26-ish to 36, lifeless planets are a good thing to fly around on because they are filled with exosuit upgrades and monoliths.

Getting a huge ship is too much trouble. Even shot down a ship with the hope that it would become a "crashed ship" but it just exploded. I just need a ship that can jump far, can handle itself in a fight, and looks cool. I can do better than the space truck.

Also, I died today for the first time. Tried to shoot at a pirate and hit the freighter so I was blasted at from all sides. I was saving up for warp upgrades, those resources were all in my ship. Didn't feel like starting over with saving so I reloaded my older checkpoint. Put my ship resources in my exosuit to be safe and blasted off again. Then, won't you know it, that glitch you all talked about hits and I still see my grave marker. Only it gives me the stuff that was in my ship twice now... meaning I have more warp cells than I know what to do with.

Edited by BillyHorrible

Someone asked earlier about a food chain:

There is a food chain! I wandered around on a nice little planet with toxic rain and as I exited my starship in the middle of a fairly large plain I saw a large predator stomp on a smaller herbivore. After which the predator switched to me and slapped me of my starship...

• Like 1

Hadn't heard that stuff becomes weirder towards the center. Though unless warping goes over a much longer distance later on, I don't see how I'm ever getting beyond 17 billion light years away unless I use a portal or wormhole. I thought at least you couldn't jump farther than 256 light years in one go... That's 391 jumps unil you reach a million. Woops...

Sorry for this... apparently I'm only 179K light years away from the center. That's nearly 800 jumps total (jumps to a million should have been 4K of course. I need my weekend).

I don't get it... every time I shoot at what I think are pirates, I become wanted somehow...

Edit: had a succesful battle against pirates now. I'm making sure not to fire at them when they are near freighters, and I'm making sure they are pirates by waiting with firing until they fire at freigthers.

Edit: Now on a planet with "extreme" weather (scorched). Counter for the milestone immediately starts so I guess that storm wasn't extreme enough after all, it has to be total extreme weather not an on-again-off-again thing. Even though this scorched earth is less than 100 degrees Celcius and that storm reached 150 on a planet that itself was -50.

Edit: okay, this scorched planet has storms of 300+ degrees Celsius...

Edited by BillyHorrible

So, last night I made my way to the location Atlas told me - wow...

One jump after and

after which I had blueprints to an Atlas pass and I knew the location of a black hole.

Turned off the PS4 immediately because I was tempted to use the black hole but it was 2 AM and I wanted a clear mind for this.

I now think I don't want to take the shortcut. I'm going to use up my ridiculous amount of warp cells (the one thing that can't be sold to others) following the Atlas path, and once I'm done with that path I'm going on to the center, one jump at a time.at this point I'll start playing other games again as well, I just want to make this an easy and enjoyable journey.

I'll go back to the scorched planet for the survival milestone, I found out that its caves are loaded with rare egg-pearls that are worth 25K a piece.

I also found that Scorched's moon is toxic, it has weird floating worm things and when a toxic storm hits (which I first landed in) it becomes the most beatiful thing I've ever seen in the game, helped by the soundtrack.

Edit: well it seems every time I hit an Atlas location, I get two warp cells and thanks to the locations and my good hyperdrive I only need one to get to the next location... well that's not helping. I now filled up my hyperdrive, and discarded all warp cells save for four. That should make things a bit more normal again.

Edited by BillyHorrible

Little update on the jump distances...

I have now the Sigma and Tau upgrades. I'm jumping from Atlas to Atlas which is only about 300 lightyears apart but I've checked in the freeroam map and I could theoretically manage jumping just over 700 lightyears, meaning that 179K lightyears even when not following a straight line should be manageable within 300 jumps.

Searching for warp upgrades I see that a lot of clickbait pre-release "help" sites are talking about warp upgrade V1, so I'm guessing pre-1.03 fix it all worked a bit differently and the 256 from Sean came from that.

Edit: and now I suddenly get a blueprint for a Theta upgrade so you can jump even farther, probably 1K+. It's a grind of gold and emeril before I can build it though.

Edited by BillyHorrible

So, I went through the Atlas path. On a meta level, I don't know what to make of the end since it doesn't fit with how the game is made or how I view Atlas. There is a kind of poetic beauty to it, though.

I basically jumped from new Atlas waypoint to new Atlas waypoint since had upgraded my ship enough and got a couple of new warp cells along the way (not all the time though). After the end, it pointed me to a black hole...

Now I know that you can revert to an old save, I decided to go ahead and take the jump.

Good news, it does not take you that far, just about 1K lightyears.

It did destroy a ship upgrade though but one that was very easily fixed with parts already in my posession.

I'm not going to do any more shortcuts though, I'll take the rest of the journey at my own pace.

At this point, I'm in a nice little star system with two planets and two moons. In this system I'm going to explore a bit, create my new warp upgrade, create 20-ish warp cells, do a load of max jumps one after another, explore and make warp cells again... all the way to the center. After that, who knows. I might try to find my way back to my first galaxy. I might explore at random. I might have enough of the game and not play any more until there's been some patches with new content. We'll see when we get there.

I have kept my pre-order ship by the way, never got rid of it, it's so pretty and unique... I have since realised that it may have grown on me so much because it reminds me a bit from the Arwing of Star Fox.

I can tell you something else by the way: exosuit slots cap at 48 - six rows and eight columns. Since I wasn't buying a ship anyway I decided to put all that money to good use.

It's been a hell of a journey, and there's a long way to go. Glad to know you are all out there somewhere.

Edited by BillyHorrible

Just left a planet that had no marketplace at all. Couldn't sell anything, at least from what I can find after spending a couple hours on the planet lol.

Unless I'm missing something, the Thorax people don't seem to do much in the way of trading.

So ..... sad story here ... after around almost 4 days straight NMS gaming ..... and buying big ship ... upgrading almost everything ... 39 slots ... tons of protection and weapons ....  few mil  Units  .... my game crashed while saving ...

End of story is .... i have restart everything because he cant load save file .....

i dont know if i ever come back to it .... but for now game died for me , and im sure a lot of ppl know how fun it was for me .....

• Like 1

So ..... sad story here ... after around almost 4 days straight NMS gaming ..... and buying big ship ... upgrading almost everything ... 39 slots ... tons of protection and weapons ....  few mil  Units  .... my game crashed while saving ...

End of story is .... i have restart everything because he cant load save file .....

i dont know if i ever come back to it .... but for now game died for me , and im sure a lot of ppl know how fun it was for me .....

Oh no that's awful :(  I'm sorry to hear that.  Do you have any saves backed up to the cloud you can use?

Oh no that's awful :(  I'm sorry to hear that.  Do you have any saves backed up to the cloud you can use?

nope .... everything gone .... loading old save points always leads to "initialising" new planet as new game ....  

so guys ... time to upload your save files  !! do it all now ... :( for me its to late

Just for anyone interesting in Official No Man's Sky merchandise

http://store.iam8bit.com/collections/no-mans-sky

Also, here's my fairly active planet from yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlBEN8-UixQ

Too bad the PS4 version didn't come with the model of the ship... I couldn't anywhere that it did, otherwise I'd buy that right now lol Edited by kmosesltd

I've accumulated a sizable sum of money (10 mil) then proceeded to wait aboard a space station for my dream ship to arrive. It did with 38 slots, upgrades for both the hyperdrive and the pulse engine and it was priced at 13 mil.  :facepalm: The crafty AltasPass v2 has finally unveiled itself to me. Reject money, embrace Atlas.

The game is cracking under my power of patience.

I'm not one for swearing without good cause... so I mean it if I say: fuck, that must suck hard!

That's really too bad. I've been scared of this myself and I don't think I could start all over again either.

nope .... everything gone .... loading old save points always leads to "initialising" new planet as new game ....

so guys ... time to upload your save files !! do it all now ... :( for me its to late

Don't think I actually know how to do this, I don't believe I've ever used cloud saving except for games that do this automatically...

Too bad the PS4 version didn't come with the model of the ship... I couldn't anywhere that it did, otherwise I'd buy that right now lol

I didn't like it at first either (and no it does indeed only come with the PC version), but I mind it less now that I know it's not the ship I'm flying in or even seeing anywhere. I've made a lot of screenshots of my own ship and I'm just going to make a LEGO model at some point :)

I've accumulated a sizable sum of money (10 mil) then proceeded to wait aboard a space station for my dream ship to arrive. It did with 38 slots, upgrades for both the hyperdrive and the pulse engine and it was priced at 13 mil.  :facepalm: The crafty AltasPass v2 has finally unveiled itself to me. Reject money, embrace Atlas.

The game is cracking under my power of patience.

Do you have a screenshot of your dream ship? I haven't seen anyone yet here with a new ship who actually posted what they bought, interested to see people's preferences.

Cool that you got a V2 pass, there's extremely few players yet with a v2 or v3! If anyone asks where you got it, please spoilerise your answer because I don't want to know.

And yeah this game gets really easy later on if you just have patience :)

Edited by BillyHorrible

Do you have a screenshot of your dream ship? I haven't seen anyone yet here with a new ship who actually posted what they bought, interested to see people's preferences.

Cool that you got a V2 pass, there's extremely few players yet with a v2 or v3! If anyone asks where you got it, please spoilerise your answer because I don't want to know.

I do not have a picture of that ship, unfortunately. If I come across it again, I'll keep it in mind. I've been using a ship with 20 slots for quite a while. Been trying to save up the money for a grand old ship because there are so many ship upgrades I want but don't have the space for.

I will keep the v2 pass info as a spoiler. I wanted to find it myself without any help so I understand completely.

So I came across a planet that has a real over abundance of Radnox.

Radnox is a precious element that is very hard to find, as it's very rare. I'm not sure if it's the same for everyone else, but I was getting Radnox by shooting these floating, pulsating, tentacled things.

At first I ignored them because I couldn't scan them, then after about 30 minutes of traversing the planet I shot one and now I'm farming them while "trying" to do the survival trophies.

I say trying because the timer hasnt moved in almost an hour at all... I don't know if that's because I've died at least once before or not but whatever, it's been currently holding at 3.1 Sol for the last hour.

Edited by kmosesltd

Atlas path spoilers

Did i just waste my time hoarding those stones, or do you needed to complete it in order to find black holes? Either way, glad the hoarding is over.

Not entirely sure what *that ending* was about either.

I'm not sure if we followed a similar path but I hoarded 10 stones and took them to the last interface I came across

The text from the Atlas interface about giving birth to a new star makes me feel like the universe is infinite...the star you birth serves as the center for a brand new galaxy.  I think the whole 'finding the center' ideal is a ruse as there is never one true center with the number of stars being birthed.  Imagine how many other people are doing the exact same quest and imagine how many new stars and galaxies would be created.  

I'm not sure if we followed a similar path but I hoarded 10 stones and took them to the last interface I came across

The text from the Atlas interface about giving birth to a new star makes me feel like the universe is infinite...the star you birth serves as the center for a brand new galaxy.  I think the whole 'finding the center' ideal is a ruse as there is never one true center with the number of stars being birthed.  Imagine how many other people are doing the exact same quest and imagine how many new stars and galaxies would be created.  

There is a center of galaxy , but no center of universe .... sadly even Hello Games dont know different .....  but i dont tell you what happens in center of galaxy .

Atlas path is leading me in a different direction than the center of the galaxy. I thought these paths were the same thing?

Atlas path and center path are not the same thing. Best to do the Atlas path before the center path though.

Atlas path spoilers

Did i just waste my time hoarding those stones, or do you needed to complete it in order to find black holes? Either way, glad the hoarding is over.

Not entirely sure what *that ending* was about either.

It's not the center for a brand new galaxy. It's just a single star that gets added to the edge, where a new player will wake up. It doesn't make sense to me because there's a set number of planets and there's not being anything added so it's both trying to lean on the fourth wall by talking about a new player, but then failing at it because outside of the game we know that there will be no new star at all.

There is a center of galaxy , but no center of universe .... sadly even Hello Games dont know different .....  but i dont tell you what happens in center of galaxy .

The center of our universe may very well be empty space but for all intends and purposes it has a middle somewhere.

Well, this sucks. 

About 5 hours of NMS this weekend. 

Saturday night, the game crashes while I'm trying to warp. First one of these I've seen, probably not a big deal. 

Load my game, need to farm a few resources to complete my warp cell again, make sure to save before attempting to warp again, warp, crash. Huh... 

Re-boot the game. Crash after the NMS splash screen... uh oh...

Again, same thing. 

Rebuild PS4 database. 15 minutes later I'm trying again, get into the game, my save is intact. Warp. Success! Warped right into a fight with pirates... oh no. Die to too many pirates. Dammit! Crash. 

Boot game again. NMS splash screen... crash!

Haven't tried to load the game again since. Pain in the ass. Will have another go tonight maybe, but having so many crashes in about an hour I really hope it's managed to fix itself.