NMS Discoveries, Hints and Tips Thread

MesopithecusUK

Thanks for that, that made me laugh :) did you at least get to scan it?

Yeah I did, after it bit me and I was swimming backwards with it doing that kind of horror-movie-serial-killer-thing of slowly but constantly chasing you, I hurridly scanned it and ran away.

I'm not great at naming anything but I was sure to name a green planet with lots of water and islands Namek...

Not Ahch-To? :)

In other news, I'm at 3M units now. Pretty sure I can have any starship I want but I'm holding out for one with at least 30 slots.

On to system 3... Selected one with three planets and a moon, G7 star to the G9 and G6 I already saw... and after that is a G1 unless I manage to improve my hyperdrive before that jump. I wonder what G1 star planets look like...

I already upgraded my exosuit quite a bit. I'm over 2M units now so I can pretty much buy any ship I want but I don't want to, I want one that looks at least as awesome as my pre-order starting ship.

i saw a huge awesome ship .... but price was 5,3 m units .... so ...jeah  .  and exosuit upgrades getting expansiv as hell ... my next is 140k units ....

I found a cool planet with donuts on ground ( like rocks , but shaped like donuts ... )  .

Than i abused an alien to teach me over 100 words  !  but he looked pretty happy about it !   ( 20 carbon for new word -> 20 carbon for heal me -> 20 carbon for new word -> 20 carbon for 100 carbon he gives me ...... silly but it worked in this circle for pretty long )

Now i have a planet with very rare exotic material Murrin ... i will gather a fuck ton of it  ,  is worth 350/ piece and one gather point gives 4-5 pieces ....  and maybe i need it by my self someday :)

oooh and there was a planet with gravi balls laying around ... that was fun ! Its showing green (!) when you use scanner  , when you get near it starts to glow  , itwas worth around 23k units ... but it was not stackable and you got 3-5 sentinal + sentinal dog with laser  attacking you everytime you picked one up ...... but it was worth it hehe .

Thats my storys rn ... =) lets see what happens today .... after few hours murrin gathering .... must be very rare if i cant find this material on any NMS website xD

i saw a huge awesome ship .... but price was 5,3 m units .... so ...jeah  .  and exosuit upgrades getting expansiv as hell ... my next is 140k units ....

I found a cool planet with donuts on ground ( like rocks , but shaped like donuts ... )  .

Than i abused an alien to teach me over 100 words  !  but he looked pretty happy about it !   ( 20 carbon for new word -> 20 carbon for heal me -> 20 carbon for new word -> 20 carbon for 100 carbon he gives me ...... silly but it worked in this circle for pretty long )

Now i have a planet with very rare exotic material Murrin ... i will gather a fuck ton of it  ,  is worth 350/ piece and one gather point gives 4-5 pieces ....  and maybe i need it by my self someday :)

oooh and there was a planet with gravi balls laying around ... that was fun ! Its showing green (!) when you use scanner  , when you get near it starts to glow  , itwas worth around 23k units ... but it was not stackable and you got 3-5 sentinal + sentinal dog with laser  attacking you everytime you picked one up ...... but it was worth it hehe .

Thats my storys rn ... =) lets see what happens today .... after few hours murrin gathering .... must be very rare if i cant find this material on any NMS website xD

Couple of questions: how long have you been playing and how much have you jumped? How many slots had the 5M ship? How many exosuit slots do you have? Because I've filled up my 20 slots and the last was 60K, doe you just get an extra row/column afterwards?

I have not seen Murrin yet. I found some stuff that was in the high 200s though.

Couple of questions: how long have you been playing and how much have you jumped? How many slots had the 5M ship? How many exosuit slots do you have? Because I've filled up my 20 slots and the last was 60K, doe you just get an extra row/column afterwards?

I have not seen Murrin yet. I found some stuff that was in the high 200s though.

jumped : 3  times ,  but every system had around 5-4 planets so i explored a lot :) .  i play my second day ... so i 24 h maybe?    i cant remember how many slots ship had .. around 30 i guess .  

My exosuit is now at 31 slots and cost me 180k to upgrade  !!!  and yes it adds new rows everytime .

Well, my first new planet is a dark one, far away from the sun (started here because the rest is much closer to the space starion). It has almost no plantlife above ground but much in the water. It has heavy storms that deplete my suit very quickly...

Then I found out that while the planet itself had very cold air (around -50 degrees Celsius), the water is a very comfortable 22 degrees Celsius so I dove in, ever so often coming up for air. Suddenly in my visor, about half a dozen red bleeps... remembering the penguin shark I made myself ready to jet out if need be. Then I saw them... They may look like dangerous eels but thankfully they are vegetarians. Pfew.

jumped : 3  times ,  but every system had around 5-4 planets so i explored a lot :) .  i play my second day ... so i 24 h maybe?    i cant remember how many slots ship had .. around 30 i guess .  

My exosuit is now at 31 slots and cost me 180k to upgrade  !!!  and yes it adds new rows everytime .

Thanks a bunch! Good to know. I might just keep to my own ship then (I really love the Vector) and save my money for the suit expansions.

Has anyone else seen freighters from up close? It looks like it has a force field you can fly through but it's blocked - like the force field you jump through when entering an exosuit upgrade box. I'm wondering if, come the freighter upgrade, we can keep a starship in its landing bay and explore planets with that... That would be awesome.

All the planets I go to seem to be covered in huge Gold desposits. Is this normal or am I just kind of lucky?

I'm often finding gold as well. Not always but very often. One of my main cash flows.

Probably restarting, did not like the way my ship turned out. I've got an idea for a naming system too. I do this sort of thing with games all the time, futz around and restart multiple times.

I never actually completed Skyrim for this very reason, though I must have started at least 15 characters. 

Some great gameplay tips over on this Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4x88ji/super_helpful_game_mechanics_that_are_never/ 

So how exactly does surviving in extreme weather work? The planet I'm on has storms with extreme hot temperatures as well as extreme night colds. Been out of the ship from time to time, sometimes a few minutes in a row, adding zinc to my suit because I was too far from my ship but my stat is still on 0.0 ...

Also I've been in a cave and I found a lot of vortex cubes... descriptions says that long ago they used to materialise in sunterranian networks... super weird but hey 25K a pop!

Now waiting for the storm to lie down, at the biggest ruin I've yet seen - three two to three story buildings, lots of knowledge stones.

Are there any NMS shirts by the way?

Edited by BillyHorrible

I came very close to getting stranded on Planet of the Asshole Crab Monsters last night.  Ship was surrounded and I couldn't get to any materials needed for the launch without bouncing between rocks like I was in Tremors

So how exactly does surviving in extreme weather work? The planet I'm on has storms with extreme hot temperatures as well as extreme night colds. Been out of the ship from time to time, sometimes a few minutes in a row, adding zinc to my suit because I was too far from my ship but my stat is still on 0.0 ...

Also I've been in a cave and I found a lot of vortex cubes... descriptions says that long ago they used to materialise in sunterranian networks... super weird but hey 25K a pop!

Now waiting for the storm to lie down, at the biggest ruin I've yet seen - three two to three story buildings, lots of knowledge stones.

Are there any NMS shirts by the way?

Time in the ship doesn't count towards this.  Dig/find  a nice cave down to hide out the storms.  A sol is around 14 minutes.regardless of the planet you are on.

I came very close to getting stranded on Planet of the Asshole Crab Monsters last night. Ship was surrounded and I couldn't get to any materials needed for the launch without bouncing between rocks like I was in Tremors

Time in the ship doesn't count towards this. Dig/find a nice cave down to hide out the storms. A sol is around 14 minutes.regardless of the planet you are on.

Thanks. Yeah I figured ship time would not count but I thought cave time would not count either.

So do you need a ful Sol before it counts anything or is it cumulative? If it's only 14 minutes I would have expected to have more than a half sol by now...

And your crabmonster planet sounds a lot like an experience I had in my first system... was thinking of Tremors as wel back then.

Edited by BillyHorrible

• I recommend creating the scanning technologies for your multi-tool. I can spot so much around me as I'm walking around.
  • Stamina technologies for your exo-suit are huge as well for those that like to wander far away from their ship. 
  • Buying/finding ships are the only way to increase ship inventory. Finding ships is a good way to save money but make sure you have a stockpile of ship resources on you beforehand.
  • For lots of cash, mine neutral resources (light green) like gold, emeril, and aluminum. They are pretty common and sell for good money even when they aren't in demand.
  • A ship inventory stack is much larger than an exo-suit inventory stack. If you find you are holding several stacks of the same resource in your exo-suit, put it in your ship.
  • Be careful while exiting your ship. I've landed on way too many cliffs and trees.
  • If you explore a lot, buying a multi-tool seems like a waste of money in my opinion.
  • There is a glitch in the game when you launch your ship off the ground, it sends you into space. Very convenient if that's your intention. If not, it's a bit annoying.
  • Be careful with indicators in the middle of water. Sometimes they aren't there. Had to learn that the hard way.
  • Keep track of what environmental dangers are present. Spent a long time yesterday on a freezing planet with firestorms.

Also flying worms is a thing.

I found out that planets with no animals or almost no plants and bad environment  have higher chance of upgrade pods , rare materials and ruins .  

i mean nothing really new but i found best stuff on almost empty planets .... im at 33 exosuit slots and i run out of units to buy new slots .

Quick question (and probably a stupid one).

I spent quite a bit of time on my first planet but now I want to go back.  Is there any "easy" way of doing this or do I just have to search through the map in hopes I might find the system it was in?

Thanks

i was askin my self same ,  you can put waypoints on systems , but still hard to find something .   i hope they add something like this soon , like clicking on your system planets list and than "show system on galaxy map"  ...

i miss something like alien category in menu , were you can see your repetution and words you learned .

Edited by Xionx

Quick question (and probably a stupid one).

I spent quite a bit of time on my first planet but now I want to go back.  Is there any "easy" way of doing this or do I just have to search through the map in hopes I might find the system it was in?

Thanks

i was askin my self same ,  you can put waypoints on systems , but still hard to find something .   i hope they add something like this soon , like clicking on your system planets list and than "show system on galaxy map"  ...

i miss something like alien category in menu , were you can see your repetution and words you learned .

You're probably going toward the center so your earlier stuff is away from the center. Now, once you open the map and look back, click up on the d-pad and it starts searching for discovered systems around you... after a while discovered stars will get a few blinking white lines around them (look close because it's really small). Very high chance that only your own stuff starts blinking.

This is how I found mine, I was only in my second system fortunately.I put a waypoint on my first system so I don't lose it again.

Yesterday was the day of abundant life.  I seemed to end up on planets with so much fauna, although it's not fun when an angry giant sandshrew tries to attack you the moment that you land -_-

I survived 32 sols under extreme conditions, can confirm that you have to spend the time out in the open.  What I tended to do was explore around my immediate area, gathering resources and when my protection had depleted to less than 25% I'd either hop into my ship or into a nearby outpost to let it recharge (or just recharge it with zinc if I had an abundant supply)  When storms hit, I used that time to move between outposts.  Husband ended up on an extreme planet with hostile sentinels, which added even more challenge.

I'm on great terms with the Korvax and I was glad to escape to their area of the galaxy after accidentally agreeing to marry a Vy'Keen (which he was happy about at the time, gave me gifts and units)  I'm also following the Atlas Path through space, I did find a black hole but at the moment I'm heading away from it as I want to do some other things before I considering heading towards the center.

I managed to scan a couple of birds yesterday but the only way I could do it was by shooting them down...it made me sad 

13895269_1032642613524164_18223266079561

There are suit upgrades that counter planetary effects. E.g. Radiation, Heat, Cold ect.

Makes surviving outside in extreme easy.

Oh, and when you get the Atlas Pass, wow stuff gets Way easier...

On the APass, I see V1, and V3 doors, has anyone seen 2 or higher than 3?

You're probably going toward the center so your earlier stuff is away from the center. Now, once you open the map and look back, click up on the d-pad and it starts searching for discovered systems around you... after a while discovered stars will get a few blinking white lines around them (look close because it's really small). Very high chance that only your own stuff starts blinking.

This is how I found mine, I was only in my second system fortunately.I put a waypoint on my first system so I don't lose it again.

Thanks for the tip.  I'll give that a try tonight as I haven't really gone that far from where I started.

I've already tried staying in a cave for a whole storm, popping in and out of a ruin, popping in and out of water (more on this in a bit), and now just staying out popping zinc all the time, it stays at 0.0 ... my only guess is that this "storm" is not extreme enough.

About the water... so I saw a red dot a ways away from me when at a monolith on a coast. I swam out and out but the red dod removed itself from me. Meanwhile, a storm started above water. Then, I came closer to the red dot. A shadow appeared... FUCK ME it's the bastard offspring of a shark and a narwal! Cue me trying to jetpack my way back to the coastline where my ship is, storm over the water, and mister narshark (I dubbed it the Killer Lance) brings along his boyfriend, now they both start hunting me. When I reached the shore and the main shark looked at me helplessly from the water, I stood next to him, pointing and laughing.

There are suit upgrades that counter planetary effects. E.g. Radiation, Heat, Cold ect.

Makes surviving outside in extreme easy.

Oh, and when you get the Atlas Pass, wow stuff gets Way easier...

On the APass, I see V1, and V3 doors, has anyone seen 2 or higher than 3?

I have seen the doors with three levels but I did not obtain any pass yet...

Thanks for the tip.  I'll give that a try tonight as I haven't really gone that far from where I started.

You're welcome, let me know how it went.

Has anyone actually died yet? I'd like to know how/if that affects the game. I don't have a ps4 yet, but i'll Def pick this up on sale at some point when I get one.

Probably restarting, did not like the way my ship turned out. I've got an idea for a naming system too. I do this sort of thing with games all the time, futz around and restart multiple times.

If you're dead set on restarting, maybe you could do some research for me. :D

Has anyone actually died yet? I'd like to know how/if that affects the game. I don't have a ps4 yet, but i'll Def pick this up on sale at some point when I get one. If you're dead set on restarting, maybe you could do some research for me. :D

I was thinking the same thing, and wanted to ask it a bit more specific: what happens if your environmental hazard suit part runs out? Do you die immediately or do you take health damage first?

I was thinking the same thing, and wanted to ask it a bit more specific: what happens if your environmental hazard suit part runs out? Do you die immediately or do you take health damage first?

That one I actually know. I watched my monthly 10 minutes of twitch the other day and it happened to the guy. You slowly lose health. He made it back to his ship in time though. :( I was rooting for him not making it. xD Edited by Hemiak

Has anyone actually died yet? I'd like to know how/if that affects the game. I don't have a ps4 yet, but i'll Def pick this up on sale at some point when I get one.

If you're dead set on restarting, maybe you could do some research for me. :D

I have died many times, both on planet and out in space.  If you die on the planet it respawns you at the last restore point but without any of the resources in your exosuit inventory.  You have to go back to the grave marker where you died to collect the cache of items.

If you die in space, it spawns you at the nearest space station and you lose all the resources in your ship inventory. Again there is a grave marker for you to fly back to and obtain the cache of items.

In both instances, I'm not sure if there is a set time period where the cache expires and disappears (On ARK: Survival Evolved your death cache disappears after 15 minutes)

You do get a cool science quote though when you die :D

• Like 1