NMS Discoveries, Hints and Tips Thread

MesopithecusUK

if you die on a planet you respawn on last save point but you have to get back to death point to get items back .

i died once i airship , i respawned in space trading point , my pre order ship stand near me and i had to fly to death point to get my inventory back aswell.    But i heard if you dont use the pre order ship you lose the ship and stranted on planet were you have to repair a ship again (maybe your own ?)

Edit: Velvet sniped answer :)

Edited by Xionx

I was thinking the same thing, and wanted to ask it a bit more specific: what happens if your environmental hazard suit part runs out? Do you die immediately or do you take health damage first?

You take health damage first, your health then depletes until you're dead (unless you get to shelter first and allow the protection to recharge)

I have died many times, both on planet and out in space.  If you die on the planet it respawns you at the last restore point but without any of the resources in your exosuit inventory.  You have to go back to the grave marker where you died to collect the cache of items.

If you die in space, it spawns you at the nearest space station and you lose all the resources in your ship inventory. Again there is a grave marker for you to fly back to and obtain the cache of items.

In both instances, I'm not sure if there is a set time period where the cache expires and disappears (On ARK: Survival Evolved your death cache disappears after 15 minutes)

You do get a cool science quote though when you die :D

if you die on a planet you respawn on last save point but you have to get back to death point to get items back .

i died once i airship , i respawned in space trading point , my pre order ship stand near me and i had to fly to death point to get my inventory back aswell.    But i heard if you dont use the pre order ship you lose the ship and stranted on planet were you have to repair a ship again (maybe your own ?)

Edit: Velvet sniped answer :)

I've heard that if you die in space, you lose your ship and get a small standard one...

I have not died yet but in my 30+ hours, I have not really had much action yet. An angry spider horde that apparently tore through a lot of my shielding and some sentinels which I could easily handle. Then again I'm not taking chances, but anyway I never saw a space fight before...

Anyone seen exactly how those shields work? Is each a health bar or something, or so they get depleted in turn when your health bar runs out?

There are suit upgrades that counter planetary effects. E.g. Radiation, Heat, Cold ect.

Makes surviving outside in extreme easy.

Oh, and when you get the Atlas Pass, wow stuff gets Way easier...

On the APass, I see V1, and V3 doors, has anyone seen 2 or higher than 3?

I've found a V2 door just now in a Gek Outpost, I think that is the first one that I've seen

A ship landed next to me with 31 slots, heavy duty weapons... and it's almost 6.3M, I have almost 3.4M at the moment... damn.

It looks really cool, too.

Edit: another came at the same base with 29 slots and a bit less overkill cannons, for 4.4M and I am at 3.8M because I found a huge supply of Erilium. Think I'll stay here and mine for a while until I get one of these awesome ships.

Edit: one with a 3.9M ship with 28 slots and a sigma warp reactor as well as some cannon upgrades. He bought all my Erilium, putting me just past 4.5M - which makes me want to hold out for a craft that is a wee bit better than this one.

Edited by BillyHorrible

I've found a V2 door just now in a Gek Outpost, I think that is the first one that I've seen

Yup. So;

V1 gets you the red debris canisters, and the other main door in Stations.

V2 gets you in Outpost inner doors.

V3 gets you into the secondary doors in Stations.

Don't know yet if it goes higher, or if there are other types of pass's, excluding the bypass.

Okay so I did not buy a new starship. After some waiting and a few "nice but not exactly" ships, I thought it might be best if I just warped on. I may even see ships better suited to my needs.

So I jumped to my fourth system, and after scanning the system (I think I did not do that in my third system), I was greeted by an anomaly message about a monolith. First I went to the space station, and I saw the third race for the first time. I sighed. The Korvax are a nice idea but I spent thirty hours learning Vy'keen and Gek words, and now I have to begin anew completely!

But what's that? Atlas starts speaking to me, it wants me at the monolith. I'm coming poppa!

So yeah I have the Atlas route now as well. It comes at a great time because after fifteen planets and a moon, I was starting to get enough of aimless exploring with snippets of story being the only reward.

I think it's a testament to the genius of this game that it could even keep me going without aim for 30+ hours in three days.

Now, so I won't get sick of it, I'll stop exploring every planet for hours and I'll go on the Atlas quest, exploring when I need resources. I'll probably still see dozens of planets before I'm done with it, I reckon, might as well do something useful to the story while I'm at it.

Tomorrow I have to work again. Afterwards it's back to No Man's Sky. I think I'll revisit the trading station and go for a bulky ship after all. Loads of room is a good thing, and they all had hyperdrive with most having an expansion even, and all had powerful weapons. After that, it's on to Atlas, and probably the center of the universe.

Maybe obvious, maybe not, but while looking through your Analysis Visor, you can press :r3: up to two times to zoom your view. Since the list of controls doesn't tell you this, it took me an embarrassingly long time to figure this out.

I will definitely not tell you then that a message about zooming is visible on the screen when you use the visor.

Yup. So;

V1 gets you the red debris canisters, and the other main door in Stations.

V2 gets you in Outpost inner doors.

V3 gets you into the secondary doors in Stations.

Don't know yet if it goes higher, or if there are other types of pass's, excluding the bypass.

You're all talking about something as simple as passes but nobody but me feels like those abandoned labs are something terrifying that we need to watch out for?

I think some of the info (if not all of it) I get from those rooms is very disturbing indeed...

Start of my second foray into the Euclid Galaxy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGtMPV4uPG0

EGC01134-1: Cherryh is what science fiction in the 40's imagined Venus would be like: hot, humid, and covered in huge flowers. The rock was colored in red, green, and yellow swirls, gave it an interesting look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R73nUxRrlYc

EGC01134-2: Tanith is the closest one can get to walking on Mars without actually doing it. Airless and almost utterly devoid of life except for some scattered fungi.

• Like 3

I found a way to duplicate items and in turn get unlimited amounts of money. Should I share this or keep it to myself. It is kind of game breaking but at the same time not as it allows you to get a cool ship faster and a bigger backpack faster.

I'd say to share it and then it's up to individuals to decide if they use it or not :)

• Like 1

First thing you want to do is find the item(s) you want to duplicate. You can do this either on a planet next to a trade terminal (for easy selling) or a space station. 

Make a save.

Next step is to die with the items you want duplicated. If you are using your ship leave the items in the ship, if you are on foot leave them in your backpack.

Once you die, reload the previous save in the options menu. You will reload from the point before you died with the items still on you AND there will still be a gravestone to go and fetch. 

Once you get your items make another save and continue until you get the amount of items you want. If you want to make money (I suggest using Atlas Stones) get your bag completely filled with them. Once you have a max amount sell half of them THEN save and die. Reload the save and go fetch your items, sell, and save. Rinse and repeat. 7-8 Atlas stones should yield you about 450-550K depending on how the market is valuing them.

A ship with 25~ slots is a little over 2 million 

A ship with 30 or more slots can go from 6 to 20 million. Highest I have seen was 38 costing about 26 million. 

The highest multi-tool I have seen was 16 slots costing about 100K so it is a good idea to keep at least 200K or more on you to be safe in case you find that fancy weapon with a bunch of slots.

So, new day. I've got to say I'm really looking forward to playing again, my new plan to run for the Atlas missions have given me a revitalised interest in the game.

How is everyone getting starship combat by the way? Are you being hunted by pirates/police or are you destroying freighters? I haven't shot at a single ship yet, let alone destroyed one. Destroying ships and living in extreme conditions are the only stats still at zero for me.

Start of my second foray into the Euclid Galaxy

I'M IN THE EUCLID GALAXY!!!

I know a galaxy is a big thing but If you can spot the names, my systems are: Nova, Violet Nebula, Sylent Green and Blue Diamond. Sorry for this but every time I see these colors around me I get the urge to name the system after it (Blue Diamond is more of a bright blue mixed with bright green though).

I've done some theme naming in system 3 and 4. Blue Diamond has colored superheroes (only planet I explored is Red Sonja), Sylent Green has fitting F-Zero planet names (Death Wind for the one I discussed at length yesterday, Silence for a calm planet without life, and Red Canyon which really speaks for itself).

I found a way to duplicate items and in turn get unlimited amounts of money. Should I share this or keep it to myself. It is kind of game breaking but at the same time not as it allows you to get a cool ship faster and a bigger backpack faster.

The best thing to do here is report it to Hello Games so they can fix it. Personally I'm never one for exploiting bugs and oversights. I would have guessed that a death is a forced save point though.

Okay, more picture time...

The system I ended things in last night (G1 star)

24gNGPx.jpg

The ship type I'm interested in (most interesting ratio I saw was 30 slots to 5.2M units with a hypedrive expansion, did not really want to get 29-28 for under 4.5M-4M)

ZlBJDGu.jpg

Enjoy the view, they said...

zvGmROk.jpg

aBR3TKP.jpg

nVxwIym.jpg

Creatures:

QXOhiGx.jpg

Landed on a planet, stepped out, was immediately greeted by the sound I connect to the Brain Spiders... and it's this guy and his brother who has the upper half of a mantis body attached to this. How fast can I get out of here?

SBuMKUp.jpg

This Killer Lance followed my across an entire lake while I tried to get away from him and a storm was going on above ground. Suck it, you lost!

5Nv4Fdz.jpg

I don't know what the hell this is but at least it's docile.

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 1

Getting the hang of ship combat now that I've had more practice (taken out 34 ships so far)  I mainly keep being attacked by space pirates but can take them out pretty easily now.  

Visited some interesting planets today with a lot of fauna, also one planet with nothing but toxic sacs (gives an item that sells for around 25k a piece but also pisses off sentinels and dog-bot)  Getting some interesting variations on creatures but have learnt from the mistake of thinking "aww this one looks cute" before it mauls my face.

Has anyone seen any elements of predation among the fauna?  I know it gives information about the animals but I've not witnessed any kind of food chain

I bought a new ship today, have upgraded the slots on my exosuit and have also picked up a better multi-tool (not quite as good as husband's, he currently has one with 19 slots)  Currently have 3 Atlas Stones :)  

Taken quite a few pictures, will post some of the best ones tomorrow when I've slept (I was going to bed around 3 hours ago but ended up exploring a cool planet)

Captain's log: Irridescent, with a blue-ish colouration, possibly due to ingesting too much of the flora on Hades XIII (although the Captain has suffered no other symptoms). The sweetcorn the Captain had as an evening repast is notable by its absence. Rations are running too low for such regular indulgences in the galley. 

Day 2 in space. 

The Captain has continued his journey with two hyperlight jumps made during this space-day. 

The Captain's new starship was discovered on a purple shitstain of a planet, although one abundant with ancient Gek artifacts. The captain hopes that the increased hold will allow far greater yields during away missions, and increase the profitability of the voyage. 

Relations with the Gek are improving. Following extensive excavation at aforementioned artifacts, the Captain now understands approximately 30 of their clicky little words. Importantly, the Captain can now recognise their words for "oxide", "silicate" and "isotope", which should facilitate trade and diplomatic ties. The Captain is considered a partner to the Gek. No other sentient lifeforms have been encountered.

While the Captain considers that improving Gek relations will yield dividends in trade and diplomatic matters, this focus has come at the cost of research and development. The Captain will renew efforts to discover new technologies and designs for manufactured and refined items on the next star date. The Captain also requires a larger Multi-tool to allow forays into more hostile environments and to protect himself from sentinel activity. 

The Captain has continued efforts to catalogue the local flora and fauna. However, some creatures have proved elusive and the Captain regrets he is yet to fully catalogue the ecology of any given planet to date. 

The Captain has made contact with a being known as Atlas. It appears to be able to speak directly to the Captain via some form of telepathy. The Captain is wary, but has decided to trust the entity for the time being. Atlas provided a rare artifact, highly valued among the traders. While this would produce a good yield for the voyage, the Captain suspects that the Gek do not understand the item's true value and has decided to store the artifact in the new ship's ample hold. 

While not equipped with sufficient technology to enable the effective use of cannon, the recovered starship is outfitted with effective laser technology. The Captain was able to intervene in a pirate attack and defend a Freighter. 

The Captain will abide by recommended dietary guidelines for interstellar voyages in order to improve the overall quality of the next Captain's log. 

Edited by StrickenBiged
  • Like 4

From what i've read, when it comes to the "surviving in extreme planets" trophies/milestones it still counts even if you just chill in a little cave and the weather doesn't effect you, so even though it's a great idea to play the game properly and explore as much as you can, for those people out there that are just playing to dish out the trophies then that's a method you can use.

There's also a neat little trick that I discovered that allows you to learn unlimited words for the Gek language aswell as supply you with an unlimited amount of Carbon provided that you're in a high enough standing with the Gek (I think it has to be Best Friend or higher). You can request fuel from them and they will give you 78 Carbon and then you just keep using the carbon and talking to them and you learn a new word everytime you are given the dialogue option and you gain more Carbon everytime you're given the fuel or isotope option. (I've linked a video in a spoiler tag below this post)

There are some rather funky looking animals and species in most planets and moons tho :D From what Sean Murray said in his AMA, they only get weirder and weirder as you get closer to the center of the galaxy.

for those people out there that are just playing to dish out the trophies [...]

There are some rather funky looking animals and species in most planets and moons tho :D From what Sean Murray said in his AMA, they only get weirder and weirder as you get closer to the center of the galaxy.

If I'd be in it for the trophies, I'd be there already :)

Hadn't heard that stuff becomes weirder towards the center. Though unless warping goes over a much longer distance later on, I don't see how I'm ever getting beyond 17 billion light years away unless I use a portal or wormhole. I thought at least you couldn't jump farther than 256 light years in one go... That's 391 jumps unil you reach a million. Woops...

If I'd be in it for the trophies, I'd be there already :)

Hadn't heard that stuff becomes weirder towards the center. Though unless warping goes over a much longer distance later on, I don't see how I'm ever getting beyond 17 billion light years away unless I use a portal or wormhole. I thought at least you couldn't jump farther than 256 light years in one go... That's 391 jumps unil you reach a million. Woops...

I'm sure you'll be able to jump multiple systems with the right upgrade or enough fuel. 

Before I switched off last night I was able to put 3 of the warp cell things into my hyperdrive. I'm going to see if that lets me jump 3 systems next time I jump. 

I'm sure you'll be able to jump multiple systems with the right upgrade or enough fuel. 

Before I switched off last night I was able to put 3 of the warp cell things into my hyperdrive. I'm going to see if that lets me jump 3 systems next time I jump.

You can go farther than you do now, eventually, but i the 1.03 updat post it was stated that going farther than 256 lightyears in one warp was only possible if you used an infinite warp exploit.
  • Like 1

There are Warp Reactor upgrades for your ship that will allow you to jump up to about seven systems at once with one warp cell. With two or more of those upgrades, I'm sure that number multiples.

Edited by BlueDragonRR
  • Like 1

There's also a neat little trick that I discovered that allows you to learn unlimited words for the Gek language aswell as supply you with an unlimited amount of Carbon provided that you're in a high enough standing with the Gek (I think it has to be Best Friend or higher). You can request fuel from them and they will give you 78 Carbon and then you just keep using the carbon and talking to them and you learn a new word everytime you are given the dialogue option and you gain more Carbon everytime you're given the fuel or isotope option. (I've linked a video in a spoiler tag below this post)

jeah i posted that few sites earlier :) i abused an alien to teach me over 200 words :) but than i got bored and moved on ! No one wants learn whole language on one day .

Quick question before I go for the weekend - Anyone know how to get a blueprint for those Atlas Bypass things? I see a lot of doors and canisters with "Atlas Bypass V.1 required", which I can't make yet. 

You get it when you follow the "story"  .. so after few warps you get in contact with ATLAS ...  i dont spoil you so just continue this story :)

• Like 1

I started the game last night, I'm currently recovering from a cirurgy and had a blast taking off from my very first planet after hours of discovery to find a beautiful new universe in front of me :D

Really happy with the game so far.

I'll keep coming back here to see and witness all of yours too

• Like 2