NMS Discoveries, Hints and Tips Thread

MesopithecusUK

It sucks that some people are experiencing so many crashes. I've experienced only a few, most of which due to (as other people have noted) opening and closing the pause menu too quickly in succession.

Still don't know how to do a cloud save, can anyone tell me about this? I've never used online saving though I know with every new PS3 game I play it tells me I have the option, which I deny every time.

It sucks that some people are experiencing so many crashes. I've experienced only a few, most of which due to (as other people have noted) opening and closing the pause menu too quickly in succession.

Still don't know how to do a cloud save, can anyone tell me about this? I've never used online saving though I know with every new PS3 game I play it tells me I have the option, which I deny every time.

You need PS+, which you have. 

Go into PS4 settings, and then I think its called "System storage management" - not at my PS4 right now. Then there should be 3 options, one for data on the PS4, one for data in the cloud, and one for data on a USB. 

Select the one for data on the PS4, and you should be able to browse all your save files organised by game. Selecting one will allow you to upload those files to the cloud. 

All that's from memory, so I may have missed a step, but it's really not hard to find in the PS4's settings. 

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYVIoX_tlI0

EGC01135-4: Vance in the Urthr System is like a Triassic Earth. This planet was full of predators, it started with the very first animal I met, and never stopped. The apex predators were like terror birds, and that's not just a name I gave them, that's a legitimate species that used to exist, look it up.

As if I wouldn't know what a terror bird was...

I love how everyone is getting such diversified fauna. I'm seeing a bit of stuff with others that seems to rotate a bit with me as well but I'm also seeing stuff that doesn't even come close to what I've seen myself.

Great tips and tricks you guys!

My main issue on the game right now is that I can't for the life of me get use to spaceship combat. I don't know if it's because the controls are just new to me still or that fact that I'm just not use to first person flight combat. Either way, it's been the main source of my deaths. lol

Don't know if this was mentioned (sorry if it was) but a great tip for those who like to explore on foot. If you start "running" and then hit your melee button then your jetpack really quickly, you'll glide across the terrain! I found this SUPER helpful when walking around to find materials that were too far from my ship.

My first planet was surprisingly good. Very rocky terrain but luckily no elements to avoid other than it getting slightly cold at night. Most of my creatures were dog hybrids and for the love of all that is holy those bug-like creatures are SUPER annoying!

My first planet was teeming with plants and wildlife, and all Sentinels were friendly. I only stuck around long enough to gather any necessary supplies. I plan to go back, but not right now, as I am exploring my 4th planet in a different solar system.

On an interesting side note, I ran out of plutonium on my 3rd planet, and there was no plants or animals to be found, as it was an extreme conditions planet. I renamed it Planet X so I know never to go back there. I had to let my life support drop to 0, thus slowly degrading my health, as I tried to find plutonium deposits to be able to get my ship up and running again. I never did die, but I did come close. I think the next time I visit an extreme conditioned planet, I'll make sure to have plenty of supplies.

Finally, I am not entirely sure what the point of the game is, but I am having fun with it. I have found 2 abandoned alien outposts, and I am in good standing with the Gek and the Vykeen right now. The planet I am currently on has friendly sentinels, and plenty of lush vegetation and wildlife, of which I plan to tear through to get supplies.

Great tips and tricks you guys!

My main issue on the game right now is that I can't for the life of me get use to spaceship combat. I don't know if it's because the controls are just new to me still or that fact that I'm just not use to first person flight combat. Either way, it's been the main source of my deaths. lol

Don't know if this was mentioned (sorry if it was) but a great tip for those who like to explore on foot. If you start "running" and then hit your melee button then your jetpack really quickly, you'll glide across the terrain! I found this SUPER helpful when walking around to find materials that were too far from my ship.

My first planet was surprisingly good. Very rocky terrain but luckily no elements to avoid other than it getting slightly cold at night. Most of my creatures were dog hybrids and for the love of all that is holy those bug-like creatures are SUPER annoying!

I have been trying to figure out how to run, and I am unsure what control to use. Also, on the multi-tool, how do switch between various settings? Like I don't want the boltcaster all the time. I only want to use it when there are steel doors I need to break into, that way it saves my ammo and charge. So is there a way to toggle between that and the laser beam? If this has been answered, please direct me to the page it has been answered on.

Last night I warped into a system with an ongoing space battle. I warped inbetween the local space station and a fleet of ships, one of which was MASSIVE.

The fighters leaving the station were firing at the big ships fighters with me stuck in the middle, ripping into my shields. I legged (flew) to the space station. Checked some trades and left the station to find all very quiet with not a capital class ship in sight.

I can only presume my sudden arrival to the system sent them all running for the Nebulas.

I found a ship with auto targeting for the lasers. Makes space combat feel about right. 

There's also an upgrade for the guns which puts a reticule on screen which shows you where you should be aiming for the bullets to hit a ship which is turning. 

As with most frustrations in this game, there's usually an upgrade which fixes it. 

Another top tip is to stock up on Iron while on a planet. You can keep your ships shields topped up by feeding them iron reserves. If you're transporting valuable cargo, make sure you keep 2 stacks in your ship just in case you get attacked while in transit. 

So, my planned 25 jumps will happen today after spending my last bit of game time on saturday mining for warp cell components...

First jump: straight into a massive battle. How massive? I got two ships destroyed milestones out of it and I don't think I was that close to the first one.

After all the talk about others with crashing after jumping twice in a row, decided to create a save point in the space station just to be sure.

I have three warp upgrades now and it seems like I can go somewhere just under 1580 light years a jump. Due to how my (pre-order) ship is constructed I couldn't put all my hyperdrive-warp stuff next to each other though, the hyperdrive only had one free slot next to it

Going to do jumps in a row now, if it crashes like some others have mentioned then I'll just go to the space station every time.

Edit: two jumps in a row without crashing, found an anomaly then so I decided to dock and see if they had anything interesting to say. I'm noticing on my star map now by the way that all (well, many at least) black hole galaxies are marked...

Edit: well, I can make multiple jumps in a row. Something weird is happening though... I can get line distances of about 1560 light years a jump but the distance to the centre will only decrease with 400~500 or so. Is this some weird side effect of relativity I don't know about?

I found a ship with auto targeting for the lasers. Makes space combat feel about right. 

There's also an upgrade for the guns which puts a reticule on screen which shows you where you should be aiming for the bullets to hit a ship which is turning. 

As with most frustrations in this game, there's usually an upgrade which fixes it. 

Another top tip is to stock up on Iron while on a planet. You can keep your ships shields topped up by feeding them iron reserves. If you're transporting valuable cargo, make sure you keep 2 stacks in your ship just in case you get attacked while in transit. 

I found that ship combat got easier once I upgraded my ship so it wouldn't blow to bits after a hit or two, and I'm now always taking a lot of iron/titanium with me. I did not know the auto aim and reticle were upgrades though, my ship did that from the start...

My first planet was teeming with plants and wildlife, and all Sentinels were friendly. I only stuck around long enough to gather any necessary supplies. I plan to go back, but not right now, as I am exploring my 4th planet in a different solar system.

On an interesting side note, I ran out of plutonium on my 3rd planet, and there was no plants or animals to be found, as it was an extreme conditions planet. I renamed it Planet X so I know never to go back there. I had to let my life support drop to 0, thus slowly degrading my health, as I tried to find plutonium deposits to be able to get my ship up and running again. I never did die, but I did come close. I think the next time I visit an extreme conditioned planet, I'll make sure to have plenty of supplies.

Finally, I am not entirely sure what the point of the game is, but I am having fun with it. I have found 2 abandoned alien outposts, and I am in good standing with the Gek and the Vykeen right now. The planet I am currently on has friendly sentinels, and plenty of lush vegetation and wildlife, of which I plan to tear through to get supplies.

I have been trying to figure out how to run, and I am unsure what control to use. Also, on the multi-tool, how do switch between various settings? Like I don't want the boltcaster all the time. I only want to use it when there are steel doors I need to break into, that way it saves my ammo and charge. So is there a way to toggle between that and the laser beam? If this has been answered, please direct me to the page it has been answered on.

Running: :r3:

Switching from mining laser to another option: :triangle:

Also I'm pretty sure each and every planet has plutonium. An extreme planet usually has caves where the plutonium grows. At the very least there will be a couple of stations with plutonium cannisters.

Last night I warped into a system with an ongoing space battle. I warped inbetween the local space station and a fleet of ships, one of which was MASSIVE.

The fighters leaving the station were firing at the big ships fighters with me stuck in the middle, ripping into my shields. I legged (flew) to the space station. Checked some trades and left the station to find all very quiet with not a capital class ship in sight.

I can only presume my sudden arrival to the system sent them all running for the Nebulas.

Same basic thing happened to me except only fighters were bad guys and I blasted them all to the edge and back.

Edited by BillyHorrible

I found that ship combat got easier once I upgraded my ship so it wouldn't blow to bits after a hit or two, and I'm now always taking a lot of iron/titanium with me. I did not know the auto aim and reticle were upgrades though, my ship did that from the start...

I might be wrong. Pretty sure that the cannon target assistance is an upgrade, isn't it? It was on my 2nd ship, but not on my current one. 

Might be wrong on the laser - my current ship came like this but I'm pretty sure my last one didn't autotarget with the lasers. But then I mostly used the cannon with that one as it had the targeting assist. 

I should pay more attention to the upgrades on my ships. I really only look at the number of free slots and, if it's more than I've got, I'll take it. 

I might be wrong. Pretty sure that the cannon target assistance is an upgrade, isn't it? It was on my 2nd ship, but not on my current one. 

Might be wrong on the laser - my current ship came like this but I'm pretty sure my last one didn't autotarget with the lasers. But then I mostly used the cannon with that one as it had the targeting assist. 

I should pay more attention to the upgrades on my ships. I really only look at the number of free slots and, if it's more than I've got, I'll take it. 

Ah sorry, yes that bit was about the lasers. I've only been using the cannon.

Edited by BillyHorrible

So, my planned 25 jumps will happen today after spending my last bit of game time on saturday mining for warp cell components...

First jump: straight into a massive battle. How massive? I got two ships destroyed milestones out of it and I don't think I was that close to the first one.

After all the talk about others with crashing after jumping twice in a row, decided to create a save point in the space station just to be sure.

I have three warp upgrades now and it seems like I can go somewhere just under 1580 light years a jump. Due to how my (pre-order) ship is constructed I couldn't put all my hyperdrive-warp stuff next to each other though, the hyperdrive only had one free slot next to it

Going to do jumps in a row now, if it crashes like some others have mentioned then I'll just go to the space station every time.

Edit: two jumps in a row without crashing, found an anomaly then so I decided to dock and see if they had anything interesting to say. I'm noticing on my star map now by the way that all (well, many at least) black hole galaxies are marked...

Edit: well, I can make multiple jumps in a row. Something weird is happening though... I can get line distances of about 1560 light years a jump but the distance to the centre will only decrease with 400~500 or so. Is this some weird side effect of relativity I don't know about?

Running: :r3:

Switching from mining laser to another option: :triangle:

Also I'm pretty sure each and every planet has plutonium. An extreme planet usually has caves where the plutonium grows. At the very least there will be a couple of stations with plutonium cannisters.

Same basic thing happened to me except only fighters were bad guys and I blasted them all to the edge and back.

Thanks. Yes, the extreme planet had plutonium, but it was halfway across the planet, which made for an interesting struggle to get it, lol. I love this game, and cannot wait to play it more.

So, I jumped 25 times. Game crashed exactly once. I saved every five jumps or so but I made sure to look around each galaxy (as in, rotate) before quickly jumping again.

I got to about 168.6K light years from the center, meaning I'll have to stock up less than 20 times to get to the center.

As my final stop, I'm now looking at some stars to choose from.

Found a nice little O9 star with 5 planets and a moon. Should be lots to discover, and should be quite rare, right?

For those not in the know, O-stars are very rare stars. Extremely hot and much ultraviolet. They are usually the largest of stars and don't live that long. They can be supergiants but there's also subdwarf O stars, seeing as there's a much larger O4 star near this one I expect the one I chose to be a subdwarf. In any case I doubt it's anything I've seen before in this game, can't wait to check all those planets (and moon) out before continuing on my trip.

Tally:

1 huge planet, scorched but not extreme weather (sadly, as I had set my sights on the planet closest to the sun - luckily there's one far away as well). Has some very weird formations of which I first thought they were either buildings or huge chimneys. No plants so not much carbon, which I need for step one of building two dozen warp cells, and no fauna, nothing of real importance inside those chimneys but very watchful sentinels, so moving on.

1 planet, closer to the sun but smaller. Probably a lot more atmosphere since this one is not scorched, but full plant and animal life and minimal sentinels. The biohazard is toxic rain but it's nothing I can't handle and there's much plant life so this is the planet I decide to farm for carbon in step 1 of 4 of making new warp cells. At this point the missus is back from work so it's off with the PS4 and on with kitchen duty.

Edited by BillyHorrible

Meet my first stop system to the center: Red Dawn. On the one hand I think it's so pretty I want to put another waypoint here so I have a place to put my base, on the other hand I want to see what's closer to the center...

Scorched Rock Alpha, a huge planet, scorched but not extreme weather (sadly, as I had set my sights on the planet closest to the sun - luckily there's one far away as well). Has some very weird formations of which I first thought they were either buildings or huge chimneys. No plants so not much carbon, which I need for step one of building two dozen warp cells, and no fauna, nothing of real importance inside those chimneys but very watchful sentinels, so moving on.

sGdCtC3.jpg

Toxic Jungle, closer to the sun *but maybe I'm looking wrong) but smaller. Probably a lot more atmosphere since this one is not scorched, but full plant and animal life and minimal sentinels. The biohazard is toxic rain but it's nothing I can't handle and there's much plant life so this is the planet I decide to farm for carbon in step 1 of 4 of making new warp cells. It has some fun animals, some stuff I haven't seen before.

LEhLmQN.jpg

JbNW5PM.jpg

Cactus Flower, a planet without biohazard and also without life - you know, I think this is the first time I saw cacti for myself in this game. Quite big ones, as well. What a nice and diverse system this is :)

0yzDFLx.jpg

Emerald Lakes, freezing, no wildlife but lots of trees and with shiny green lakes. Yes, I was indeed missing something with water in this set of planets!

865hhyx.jpg

Scalding Rock Theta, yes, an extreme hazard planet! With floating giant fish! I knew I should explore this system a bit more before filling up all my slots on Toxic Jungle... Will check out the moon, then come back here to survive in extreme weather, somewhere with a trading terminal and caves nearby.

K9pkBRY.jpg

... And I just noticed that the planets really remain aligned relative to each other while the sun goes around them... RUINED FOREVER! Kidding.

Moon Rock Alpha, moon of, you guessed it, Scorched Rock Alpha. Nothing much going on, it's an empty moon. It's got a very, very thin atmosphere.

uirRf7e.jpg

Well, then, guess it's on to Scalding Rock Theta to start my run on the only trophies I have to work for - namely, stay in one place long enough for them to unlock. I'll go find a trading terminal because I've already noticed that yes, SRT has caves - and I haven't seen any predators just yet... If we're lucky, once I've survived for long enough then I have enough money for the inevitable freighter. After that it's on to Toxic Jungle to create a bunch of warp cells since that one planet has everything I need to make them, and on to the next system it is.

adA46Rm.jpg

Edited by BillyHorrible

I just read damon's post about finding a Terror Bird and got excited ^_^  I totally recommend you guys to play ARK: Survival Evolved if/when it comes to PS4 :D

I found a Trike on one of my previous planets (well, it looked like a Trike and so I named it so)

That was that dinosaur game that had much more single player than I thought it had, right?

I believe it will be for VR which means that yeah it will probably get added to my collection.

And yeah I see dinosaur similarities in much of my fauna as well. I named something the Tyrannocowrus... That should say enough.

That was that dinosaur game that had much more single player than I thought it had, right?

I believe it will be for VR which means that yeah it will probably get added to my collection.

And yeah I see dinosaur similarities in much of my fauna as well. I named something the Tyrannocowrus... That should say enough.

Yea it is, there is a massive online element but you can also play entirely single player and change the sliders to suit your needs.  So like a tame that would usually take 4 hours online would only take 10 minutes in a single player game...there is also split screen in case you want your wife to play ;)

I know they were looking into the idea of procedurally generated ARKS.

Yea it is, there is a massive online element but you can also play entirely single player and change the sliders to suit your needs.  So like a tame that would usually take 4 hours online would only take 10 minutes in a single player game...there is also split screen in case you want your wife to play ;)

I know they were looking into the idea of procedurally generated ARKS.

My wife can't control a camera to save her life. All she'll ever play along with is LEGO games and 2D platformers.

If it's just gaming against bots I'm not sure, if there's an actual campaign I'm probably interested. I'm trying to buy less games, actually in an event right now that prohibits me from buying many more games and just lets me focus on my backlog. Luckily, No Man's Sky as well as South Park and Horizon Zero Dawn had already been pre-ordered way before I entered the event :) The three titles I'm allowed to buy this year will probably go to VR titles.

I took the leap and have built both warp reactors (Theta and Tau, although finding aluminium was a pain in the ass. I haven't picked up Sigma yet)  I understand a little more about the classifications of stars from using this website:

http://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Spectral_class

I've been using free roam and exploring red stars, so far I have experienced entirely different fauna on these planets than I experienced just following the path of the yellow stars and a greater abundance of the rarer elements.  I can't wait to explore more based on the classifications :D

Edited by RachP13

I took the leap and have built both warp reactors (Theta and Tau, although finding aluminium was a pain in the ass. I haven't picked up Sigma yet)  I understand a little more about the classifications of stars from using this website:

http://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Spectral_class

I've been using free roam and exploring red stars, so far I have experienced entirely different fauna on these planets than I experienced just following the path of the yellow stars and a greater abundance of the rarer elements.  I can't wait to explore more based on the classifications :D

In the thread about survival, I discussed going to an O star (though my knowledge comes from astronomy courses). As you can also see on the site you mention, O stars are very hot (they're also generally speaking the largest and due to all their power they tend to not live that long).

I figured that picking a good O star with a few planets would surely grant me an extreme hot weather planet, and I was right.

Thanks for the info though, I did not realise there were green stars and I hadn't thought about going to different stars just for the exploration - my white O theory was just for the extreme planet, on my next jump track, I want to end again in a system with many planets but now I'm thinking it should be a dark red or green star as well, just for the variation. I think I've only been in the F-K range up to now...

• Like 1

Simplified article of this. Leave it to a video game to have me familiarize myself with the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram. Although the wiki article says spectral peculiarity "f" doesn't exist in the real world and it does. What NMS has is stars with "pf" and I don't think that actually exists from my understanding of the subject, unless that means it's "p" and "f" together. I have a layperson's understanding though, if someone's a student of astronomy then share your expertise.

• Like 1