Unlisted rule : speaking other languages than english

Go to solution Solved by Parker,

Nah, I like the way it is now. Same as federal law in the US on speaking English: there is none. You don't have to speak English in the US, but good luck getting anything accomplished without speaking English in the US though. Rules and laws for speaking a certain language makes the person who made it into affect look like an asshat.

i see your point but what would you say if were to speak french on this forum, knowing that you couldn't understand ?

i'm not trying to start a witch hunt here but at least that something be done  so people understand that there are rules to be followed

Edited by Yuu Sonoda

i see your point but what would you say if were to speak french on this forum, knowing you couldn't understand ?

i'm not trying to start a witch hunt here but at least that something be done  so people understand that there are rules to be followed

I've been mod since the end of 2013 and I can count on one hand the amount of times I have personally had to PM someone to tell them that they need to use English here. Far more often I have seen members who don't speak English use Google translate (or something similar) to converse with members here because anyone with a modicum of common sense can tell that we speak English here, not everything needs to be written down. If it were a more common issue, sure make it a written rule, I don't personally think it happens enough to warrant it now. 

Parker

I've been mod since the end of 2013 and I can count on one hand the amount of times I have personally had to PM someone to tell them that they need to use English here. Far more often I have seen members who don't speak English use Google translate (or something similar) to converse with members here because anyone with a modicum of common sense can tell that we speak English here, not everything needs to be written down. If it were a more common issue, sure make it a written rule, I don't personally think it happens enough to warrant it now. 

Parker

i understand..

well things aren't going to improve then :(

Believe me since a few days i did my best to do what I was told by a moderator : report

Some users keep speaking french and despite reports, still keep doing that, what's the point in reporting then ? :(

but you're the moderator, i can't argue..

Edited by Yuu Sonoda

• Solution

i understand..

well things aren't going to improve then :(

Believe me since a few days i did my best to do what I was told by a moderator : report

Some users keep speaking french and despite reports, still keep doing that, what's the point in reporting then ? :(

but you're the moderator, i can't argue..

If members continue to speak a different language after being told by a moderator not to (I haven't personally seen those reports in the last few days, another mod probably took care of it before me) then continue to report those posts so we know they haven't followed our instructions. We can't be everywhere in the forums all the time so we rely on members to report offending posts so we can tell what is happening. 

Just because I'm a moderator doesn't mean you can't express a differing opinion. I've had plenty of debates with other members and I've even had members change my mind about some things by expressing their opinions and backing them up with facts. 

Parker

• Like 2

If members continue to speak a different language after being told by a moderator not to (I haven't personally seen those reports in the last few days, another mod probably took care of it before me) then continue to report those posts so we know they haven't followed our instructions. We can't be everywhere in the forums all the time so we rely on members to report offending posts so we can tell what is happening. 

Just because I'm a moderator doesn't mean you can't express a differing opinion. I've had plenty of debates with other members and I've even had members change my mind about some things by expressing their opinions and backing them up with facts. 

Parker

Okay thanks for answering. :)

but a rule could make users understand that the site ONLY supports english

I don't think there really needs to be a rule.  It's a very rare occasion when someone does try and speak in a different language.

Think of it this way, would you go to a French trophy site and speak in English? No? Then that should be the way it is here but vice versa.

I don't think there really needs to be a rule.  It's a very rare occasion when someone does try and speak in a different language.

Think of it this way, would you go to a French trophy site and speak in English? No? Then that should be the way it is here but vice versa.

even though you make sense, it doesn't seem to help  prevent people from writing in french or another language.. Look at some threads on the "forum games" and you'll understand :(

Edited by Yuu Sonoda

No. We all must talk one language to make it easier for everyone to understand. The most popular language is English and so we speak English. It's just common sense to add this rules although who write in other languages won't understand them anyway..

I understand what you mean but it still would be discrimination. I live in a country with 3 official languages so I would know.

Also, I've never seen someone not write in English on this site. So it's probably something that doesn't happen very often?

One thing I actually see a lot is people going out of their way to use Google Translate, So I don't see the point of making this a rule.

When I joined this site, it was known for it's friendly community so please, show a little more tolerance.

• Like 2

even though you make sense, it doesn't seem to help  prevent people from writing in french or another language.. Look at some threads on the "forum games" and you'll understand :(

You see, that's where you are getting it wrong.  Forum Games are meant for everyone on the site, speaking in French on those is excluding a good majority of us.  I don't see anything wrong with speaking in French amongst yourselves privately in PMs etc (as far as I'm aware, that's allowed), but on a public forum where the main language is English, it's not right.  We have no idea what you could be saying (as like I said, Google Translate is usually crap).

Pretty much, it is something that you should know of as soon as you enter the forums that they are English based.  People who are trying to speak in other languages are basically overlooking the obvious.

You see, that's where you are getting it wrong.  Forum Games are meant for everyone on the site, speaking in French on those is excluding a good majority of us.  I don't see anything wrong with speaking in French amongst yourselves privately in PMs etc (as far as I'm aware, that's allowed), but on a public forum where the main language is English, it's not right.  We have no idea what you could be saying (as like I said, Google Translate is usually crap).

Pretty much, it is something that you should know of as soon as you enter the forums that they are English based.  People who are trying to speak in other languages are basically overlooking the obvious.

That's why reports are made for those who speak french or else, to make them understand that they must speak english

Anyway i don't want to be the bad guy here, i was just trying to help :(

Edited by Yuu Sonoda

I used my French tongue a few occassions as a reply to other French speaking members in the Forum Games just for a laugh then after we did proceed in English. After all, Forum games aren't meant to be serious. I haven't seen anything wrong to just use my native tongue for a single reply just for a laugh then go back to English.

Yes I'm aware that the rule of this website is English speaking and every person here with another native tongue seems to have a good knowledge or a fluent English. Yes we all should follow the foundations of this website. But does it matter that we're kidding for just one second inside the Forum games that are meaningless? As long we're mainly speaking English then we just come out rarely with a non-english sentence for a few seconds laugh, I don't see anything wrong. In my opinion, it just gives a bit of spice...

I may look like an idiot just saying that as I'm the only one person here to have a different point of view of this "issue". This isn't a big deal as I can see.

Edited by Max654
  • Like 1

So, just to be clear, posting in a different language applies only to threads? That is, can you have status updates in your own language?

I wouldn't even give status updates or anything else in my own language, it would be abusing it. Like I said, these replies in Forum games were only just for a laugh a second depending of the context then we went back to English.

Edited by Max654

I wouldn't even give status updates or anything else in my own language, it would be abusing it. Like I said, these replies in Forum games were only just for a laugh a second depending of the context then we went back to English.

Just to make it clear, anywhere you post on the forums, including forum games, you need to post in English. If you want to PM each other in French, German, Pig Latin or whatever your heart desires that is fine, the forums aren't the place for that though.

Parker 

I don't think there should be a rule for this, the 2 times I saw posts that weren't in english was because those people didn't know how to speak english, it was their first post on the site and they were just looking for help in playstation related stuff.

To my knowlegde no one that is active in this site goes around speaking in their own language. There have been various occasions where I and another portuguese speaking gamer were discussing something in the forums and although it would be easier to just talk in our own language, we'd do it in english to accomodate everyone else, because that's just common sense...

If there are such people with a decent amount of forum posts, then yes he/she should be warned because by that point it should be clear we only speak english, but other than that I don't think a rule would change much or is necessary.

Just to make it clear, anywhere you post on the forums, including forum games, you need to post in English. If you want to PM each other in French, German, Pig Latin or whatever your heart desires that is fine, the forums aren't the place for that though.

Parker

Thank you for the statement.

• 2 weeks later...