Unlisted rule : speaking other languages than english

Go to solution Solved by Parker,

It's not listed under the forum rules because breaking those results in warning points. I would assume that continuing to speak in a non-English language after being told not to by the mods would get you a warning point though. The reason that the other languages aren't allowed is because the moderators cannot ensure that the content of the posts is acceptable for the forums if they cannot understand the words being spoken.

• Like 4

It's the same as boosting threads.

It will be deleted but it will not automatically lead to the warning point.

However, I would definitely support additional post in forum rules with 'Rules that only result in deleting your post' or something like that.

I completely agree with that Satoshi

This reminds me of a time when some members tried to allow Spanish guides on the site. Yeah, I'd definitely support a subset of rules that don't lead to warning posts.

A subsection in the rules listing this kind of thing makes sense. Does it actually say anywhere that you cannot make boosting threads or post in a language that isn't English?

Nope, it does not. 

A subsection in the rules listing this kind of thing makes sense. Does it actually say anywhere that you cannot make boosting threads or post in a language that isn't English?

Nope, it does not. 

They've both been addressed by Sly before. Language was mentioned here. It was about trophy tips, but it was worded "an English speaking site."

If not then they'll be deleted, this is an English speaking site.

Gaming sessions have been addressed numerous times, but this is the most recent one by Sly.

We have gaming sessions, use those for boosting. 

Edited by kuuhaku
  • Like 4

They've both been addressed by Sly before. Language was mentioned here. It was about trophy tips, but it was worded "an English speaking site."

Gaming sessions have been addressed numerous times, but this is the most recent one by Sly.

You get a like for remembering exactly in which thread those posts were made :yay:.

• Like 2

Because that would be discrimination.

No. We all must talk one language to make it easier for everyone to understand. The most popular language is English and so we speak English. It's just common sense to add this rules although who write in other languages won't understand them anyway..

No. We all must talk one language to make it easier for everyone to understand. The most popular language is English and so we speak English. It's just common sense to add this rules although who write in other languages won't understand them anyway..

Exactly.

A rule should be made, at least. Whether to  allow or forbid other language on the forums should be debated by the mods and the owner of the site Sly Ripper

Edited by Yuu Sonoda

It should probably be obvious that is mainly a English speaking website when you go on and everyone is speaking in English.

It is what people have been saying, it's easier to moderate (all the mods here are mainly English speakers), Google Translate doesn't get everything correct and it would become a bit of a nuisance to use everytime someone posts in another language just to make sure they weren't outright harassing/being mean towards a member, it actually happens in a lot of things for this reason, every FC I have been in on FFXIV have been mainly English speaking and other languages aren't allowed just down to the fact that none of the leaders would want to be bothered with that extra effort and they also believe you are trying to leave others out of the conversation/discussion.

Sly doesn't count it as a rule as it doesn't lead to a warning point unless you repeatedly try and speak in another language than English.  Your post will simply just get deleted and you would be told that the forums only support English as a language.  Boosting threads get deleted too and you're usually pointed right away to the game sessions, there's no point in making boosting threads when the site has those.

• Like 2

It should probably be obvious that is mainly a English speaking website when you go on and everyone is speaking in English.

It is what people have been saying, it's easier to moderate (all the mods here are mainly English speakers), Google Translate doesn't get everything correct and it would become a bit of a nuisance to use everytime someone posts in another language just to make sure they weren't outright harassing/being mean towards a member, it actually happens in a lot of things for this reason, every FC I have been in on FFXIV have been mainly English speaking and other languages aren't allowed just down to the fact that none of the leaders would want to be bothered with that extra effort and they also believe you are trying to leave others out of the conversation/discussion.

Sly doesn't count it as a rule as it doesn't lead to a warning point unless you repeatedly try and speak in another language than English.  Your post will simply just get deleted and you would be told that the forums only support English as a language.  Boosting threads get deleted too and you're usually pointed right away to the game sessions, there's no point in making boosting threads when the site has those.

but a rule could make users understand that the site ONLY supports english

Having the rule written down on another thread that says "Rules that don't get you a warning point but is still forbidden" etc.. would be extremely helpful to new members imo.

I've been on one forums before where the majority was English, but the game was made by people who spoke French. I then found out the website supported multiple languages, not just English. You had tid bits of posts that consisted of the content of being non-English, even though the majority of the forums spoke in English, but it was still allowed.

There's either two solutions for this. Take on moderators who speak those languages which I can highly doubt that'll happen. Or simply made a thread "written in stone" in a sense.. that only English is permitted on the website/posts/etc.

very simple and easy imo..

EDIT: With rules like this not posted it could discourage members, some people like to be 100% good and not a burden to anyone and/or break any rules. Feel like they're making rules off the bat or just feel discriminated.

Edited by DuckSwimmer
  • Like 1

Having the rule written down on another thread that says "Rules that don't get you a warning point but is still forbidden" etc.. would be extremely helpful to new members imo.

I've been on one forums before where the majority was English, but the game was made by people who spoke French. I then found out the website supported multiple languages, not just English. You had tid bits of posts that consisted of the content of being non-English, even though the majority of the forums spoke in English, but it was still allowed.

There's either two solutions for this. Take on moderators who speak those languages which I can highly doubt that'll happen. Or simply made a thread "written in stone" in a sense.. that only English is permitted on the website/posts/etc.

very simple and easy imo..

that 's what should be done : a rule.

I am french but i don't spend my time here trying to speak my mother language because i know that only ENGLISH is supported here

Edited by Yuu Sonoda

no rule means everyone do as they want, which isn't the good way either

Nah, I like the way it is now. Same as federal law in the US on speaking English: there is none. You don't have to speak English in the US, but good luck getting anything accomplished without speaking English in the US though. Rules and laws for speaking a certain language makes the person who made it into effect look like an asshat.

Edited by damon8r351
  • Like 1