Wailing Heights, a musical adventure, announced for PS4

Oobedoob S Benubi

A new IP has been announced for PS4, it seems to be a (point and click?) adventure game which is also a musical...

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016/10/24/coffin-rocking-musical-adventure-game-wailing-heights-announced-for-ps4/

29904335693_b02ac0602f_h.jpg

Hipster vampires, vegan werewolves and soulful zombies will be making some noise on PlayStation! I’m Stephen Downey from Outsider Games, and I’m really excited to announce that our body-hopping musical adventure, Wailing Heights, is coming to PlayStation 4.

Our game takes place in a town with its own unique soundtrack of pop, rock and soulful songs, tightly harmonised with point-and-click inspired gameplay. We’ve brought on a team of indie bands, singers and musicians, led by producer James Downey, to create a coffin-rocking soundtrack that I promise you’ll be humming for days.

As you can see from our screenshots, we’re very much comic-book inspired, and Wailing Heights features gorgeous character designs from some of the medium’s greatest artists, including Glenn Fabry (Preacher), John McCrea (Batman) and P.J. Holden (Judge Dredd), and brought to life by game artist extraordinaire John McFarlane. I even pitched in with a few backgrounds myself.

Of course, every adventure game needs a great script, and we’re very grateful to have Italic Pig’s Kevin Beimers on board to create our story. If you picked up Schrodinger’s Cat and the Raiders of the Lost Quark, or Hector: Badge of Carnage, you’ll know Kevin has a reputation for memorable characters and laugh-out-loud dialogue.

You start the game playing as Frances Finklestein, the one-time manager of the all-time greatest rock band that Great Britain ever produced: The Deadbeats. After being invited to a gig in a town no one’s ever heard of, Frances is trapped in a holding cell, charged with the crime of… being alive! A mysterious cellmate teaches you the power of possession. You learn to “body­-hop”, leaving your corpse in the holding cell and jumping from ghost to vampire to werewolf to zombie. Each creature’s skills and abilities bring you one step closer to getting your body out of lock-up and getting the hell out of Wailing Heights. But of course, it’s never that easy…

As you jump from one musical monster to another, familiar sounds and faces start up show up. The Deadbeats have returned as the undead, and they want to get the band back together.

Personally, this sounds as a very amusing game and has gone straight to my watch list.

P.S. in response to a question as to how to interpret the "musical" part of the announcement, Stephen Downey stated the following:

There is certainly a lot of singing from our cast. A lot of the environments are ‘performance areas’ – The Cremetary is a vampire coffee shop where hipster singer-songwriters sing, there’s the Soulless Saloon where Motown zombies perform soul numbers, and at least one wolf will burst into song in the Ruff House vegan bar. You have to complete lyrical puzzles to possess other characters, so cast singing is definitely an integral part of the game.
Edited by BillyHorrible

Huh. When I saw the title I've assumed it to be yet another first-person horror trying to ride the coattails of Silent Hills... only to enter the actual thread and see this goodness. I'm plesantly suprised.

Yeah I figured the same when clicking on the blog post... Glad I looked. I've changed the thread title to include "a musical adventure" so people are less likely to dismiss it based on the title.

You had me at musical.

On second thought, added this to the OP so the musical part is discussed more:

P.S. in response to a question as to how to interpret the "musical" part of the announcement, Stephen Downey stated the following:

There is certainly a lot of singing from our cast. A lot of the environments are ‘performance areas’ – The Cremetary is a vampire coffee shop where hipster singer-songwriters sing, there’s the Soulless Saloon where Motown zombies perform soul numbers, and at least one wolf will burst into song in the Ruff House vegan bar. You have to complete lyrical puzzles to possess other characters, so cast singing is definitely an integral part of the game.
Edited by BillyHorrible

Have you ever played Day Of The Tentacle, or Secret Of Monkey Island?

I swear this game sounds like it could have come from the same devs.

Secret of Monkey Island yes. I mean, who hasn't? It's one of the greatest point and click games that came out of the 90's by Lucas Films. I have not heard of Day of the Tentacle though, I'll look it up when I have some time off work later. 

Secret of Monkey Island yes. I mean, who hasn't? It's one of the greatest point and click games that came out of the 90's by Lucas Films. I have not heard of Day of the Tentacle though, I'll look it up when I have some time off work later. 

Ah yes, that song at sea that the ship's crew sings to Guybrush... such an amazing part really.  So I imagine it'll be along those lines with how they're interpret a musical into this sort of game.  Still will be keeping an ear out for this.

Umm, errr, well...if I told you Billy Horrible's musical was the very best musical, woukd that be OK?

:)

I mean the musical after which I took my tag:

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog

Even if you don't like musicals, you really should give that one a try.

Edit: it's only forty minutes and it can be found on youtube for free...

Edited by BillyHorrible

:)

I mean the musical after which I took my tag:

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog

Even if you don't like musicals, you really should give that one a try.

Edit: it's only forty minutes and it can be found on youtube for free...

I'll check it out. I can't promise I'll like it, because...well, nazis and musicals. But I can say that I've never heard of that one, so it might be the exception that makes the rule.

I'll check it out. I can't promise I'll like it, because...well, nazis and musicals. But I can say that I've never heard of that one, so it might be the exception that makes the rule.

Wait, what? Nazis?

And I'm not watching musicals that often but I do know of a few ones which even people who hate musicals tend to like:

Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog

The Muppets

Do films that are not live action count as musicals? if so... The Nightmare Before Christmas.