PS Vita has 512MB of RAM

Dreakon139

We already knew the PS Vita contains an ARM Cortex A9 quad-core processor and an equally impressive quad-core PowerVR SGX543MP4+ GPU. A 5-inch capacitive multitouch OLED screen (with 16 million colors) will be the window into a world of next-generation handheld gaming, which faces stiff competition from advanced smartphones and tablets. Oddly, the dimensions are still tentative at 7.16 by 0.73 by 3.28 inches.

Perhaps the most important aspect of the newly released information is the official confirmation of 512MB of memory, nullifying earlier rumors of lesser RAM capacity. This is more than 20 times the amount of RAM in the current PSP. Also newly confirmed: Vita's graphics processor has 128MB of VRAM.

Seems Vita news is popping up on my Google news feed dealy every day now. Not sure if it's actually news or if people are interested, but at the very least it might inspire discussion.

:)

I'm going to sound stupid for a second, but if I made a computer with 512mb of RAM, it wouldn't be able to run games from 10 years ago... no less the caliber of game expected on the Vita. Can someone explain to me?

I don't really understand it to be quite honest, but it is an impressive number for a handhel. How? Well, let's begin with how amazing PSP games can look and how well they perform. Now, let's continue with how this thing has like 10 times the PSP's RAM. That's really all I need to know to say this it's very impressive :P .

• 1 month later...

So this means the homebrew / cfw will be able to play N64 shit, hmm shame about the screen size still being so shitty.

Depending on price and the homebrew scene I may pick one of these up, its not too shabby for a handheld... hmm I wonder if they can use some sorta swap file to up the ram to play some of the older PS2 games.

• 2 weeks later...

512MB is nothing to sneeze at - and Dreakon, you could most certainly play 10+ year old games on a PC with that kind of RAM - games back then were no where near as RAM intensive as they are now. And if you had a video/graphics card that could make up some of the difference - as long as the game had a minimum requirement of 512MB RAM - then you could play more recent titles too [Think "Oblivion" recent].

Granted, it would run pretty poorly unless you adjusted the games settings - but you could do it - it just wouldn't look or run as good as it possibly could.

If I'm not mistaken - that's actually the same amount of RAM the PS3 uses, is it not? This is actually pretty insane for a handheld system. Now - I wonder how much of that is going to be dedicated to the OS, and how much will be available for gaming.

That's one of the problems with the PS3 - the OS takes a good bit of memory to run - that's why it took so long for them to be able to implement the in-game XMB, and why it runs so sluggishly on some games.