BREAKING NEWS: The PS3 is Now Tied With The 360!

DanielVT

This is quite suprising. Although I am very happy about it. People, the PS3 has finally caught up to the 360. I bet Sony is now relieved. That is what awesome first-party exclusives gets you. Microsoft should be scared of the next-generation. Sony will stomp them. The full story can be found below and at Gameinformer: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/11/16/playstation-3-and-xbox-360-now-neck-and-neck.aspx

"PlayStation 3 And Xbox 360 Now Neck And Neck

by Jim Reilly on November 16, 2012 at 03:43 PM

PS3.jpg

Despite launching nearly a full year after Xbox 360, Sony has managed to catch up to Microsoft's console with both now sitting at 70 million units shipped worldwide, according to the latest company financials.

Sony revealed this morning the PlayStation 3 has shipped 70 million units as of November 4. Additionally, PlayStation Move sales sit at 15 million units shipped since November 11. PS3 software sales have reached 595 million units shipped.

Microsoft confirmed late last month it has also shipped 70 million Xbox 360 units to date. The Nintendo Wii sits at 97.2 million units shipped."

Sony proving beyond reasonable doubt that console wars are marathons as opposed to sprints. Although, in my own personal opinion, there will be no clear winner from this generation when the history books are written; The big three have all done exceptionally well in their own right - Sony stayed relevant and caught up on Mircosoft's early momentum, Nintendo dominated the casual and handheld markets resepectively and Mircosoft have truly staked their claim as a gaming giant. Every company can be proud of their achievements and various successes in the past number of years.

However, in regards to Sony and Mircosoft, the most important step for these two companies will be the step into the next generation of consoles. Are Sony and Mircosoft content with a duopoly in the market, or will they aim to land a killer blow on the other and become the monopoly of the gaming world? Also, what do Nintendo have up their sleeve? All in all, I think we, as gamers, can look back on the past few years and be nothing but delighted with the quality and quantity of games that have been released: that goes for every format.

Wow! That....was....an....awesome summary! It leads to alot of thinking. I think that there will be a duopoly. I think each has a loyal and committed fanbase, and I don't see that changing. I could be wrong, but I still believe Sony will win the next-gen, but one should never count Microsoft out!

Edited by Vote Mitt Romney

Are they taking into account all of the multiple 360 purchases due to the red ring of death in those numbers? I get the fact that without competition nothing would ever improve or move forward but otherwise who gives a shit which company "wins" this "war"? As long as Sony keeps doing quality work I'm good to go.

• Like 2

Are they taking into account all of the multiple 360 purchases due to the red ring of death in those numbers? I get the fact that without competition nothing would ever improve or move forward but otherwise who gives a shit which company "wins" this "war"? As long as Sony keeps doing quality work I'm good to go.

I've had toasters that have lasted longer than most friends Xbox's.

• Like 1

Hell, my Genesis still works perfectly, and that's after a good 20 years. Most 360s die within ONE year, although my old one lasted pretty damn long (but only because I took good care of it)

For disc consoles, my Dreamcast and Saturn still work perfectly, and those have been around way longer than 360s. Plus I got them used.

Edited by gamerm1337

I have a good friend who bought a triple sixty on launch day and within two hours of him turning it on and playing Halo 2 it got the RRoD. Two fucking hours. The 360 has to have the absolute highest failure rate of any system that has ever been on the market because like gamerm said, I have consoles over 30 years old that work perfectly, yet a console that is two hours old fails?

It's great to hear that the PlayStation 3 is pretty much tied with the 360 in terms of sales and I imagine Sony will pull away in the next year. I am a little worried for the next generation because Sony as a company isn't doing too hot and I fear that they will tone back the PlayStation 4 because they have lost so much money. I hope that doesn't happen because it certainly isn't Sony's style and since the PlayStation is their biggest money maker (right?) I assume they make that the priority.

Parker

I have a good friend who bought a triple sixty on launch day and within two hours of him turning it on and playing Halo 2 it got the RRoD. Two fucking hours. The 360 has to have the absolute highest failure rate of any system that has ever been on the market because like gamerm said, I have consoles over 30 years old that work perfectly, yet a console that is two hours old fails?

It's great to hear that the PlayStation 3 is pretty much tied with the 360 in terms of sales and I imagine Sony will pull away in the next year. I am a little worried for the next generation because Sony as a company isn't doing too hot and I fear that they will tone back the PlayStation 4 because they have lost so much money. I hope that doesn't happen because it certainly isn't Sony's style and since the PlayStation is their biggest money maker (right?) I assume they make that the priority.

Parker

Their game division IS making money, but every other division is losing money. They could only be a game console company for all I care. They do a good job with all their hardware. Sony = Quality

Their game division IS making money, but every other division is losing money. They could only be a game console company for all I care. They do a good job with all their hardware. Sony = Quality

I'd like to see Sony completely focus on the PlayStation division for a while and stat raking the money in, and when the global economy is more stable bring the TV's, cameras and audio equipment back. Like you said, Sony is a very high quality brand and in times like this people aren't really after high quality, they are after something that gets the job done hence the reason their TV's aren't selling because you can get another HDTV for much less. Sure it won't be as quality as a Sony set, but it is still HD. I think that thinking is why Sony is posting record losses as a company.

I really hope this next console generation sees them as popular as they were in the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 generations.

Parker

• Like 2

I'd like to see Sony completely focus on the PlayStation division for a while and stat raking the money in, and when the global economy is more stable bring the TV's, cameras and audio equipment back. Like you said, Sony is a very high quality brand and in times like this people aren't really after high quality, they are after something that gets the job done hence the reason their TV's aren't selling because you can get another HDTV for much less. Sure it won't be as quality as a Sony set, but it is still HD. I think that thinking is why Sony is posting record losses as a company.

I really hope this next console generation sees them as popular as they were in the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 generations.

Parker

Agreed, they need to only focus on the Playstation brand! :)

Parker

I'm glad to hear it. I was worried when reading news about Sony losing millions a year, but it make sense that they sell less TVs, phones, audio, etc.

What you say is what they should do. I think they focus too much on expensive, high quality TVs and phones and other stuff, ofcourse they sell less in these times when people don't buy much and when they buy things it will not be expensive.

I'm glad to hear their PS division is still making money!