The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (Switch/WiiU) general discussion

Oobedoob S Benubi

3 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

That's actually not true. IIRC at least the newer games (starting from Skyward Sword) tend to have the so-called hero mode which either unlocks once you finished the game once or it's available right from the start. And Master Quest could also be counted as a Hard Mode for Ocarina of Time. It's more or less the same game with a few things altered. Still I wonder if this will be a second alternative difficulty or if it will replace the normal Hero Mode.

My bad. I just looked at the original news and it seems like I cropped too much. Fixed it.

I haven't played Skyward Sword yet but all other games never had a difficulty level. And Master Quest was a separate game, still not a choosable difficulty within a game (which was my point).

I find the response to this Zelda DLC interesting. Most of the people I've seen are very excited for it and think it will be amazing, but some of these same people (not necessarily on this site) were very vocal about DLC being announced before a game releases saying it was held back content and it is something only shitty game companies do. Of course there seems to always be a double standard with Nintendo for some people, they get a lot more slack for things people would rage about if it was Sony or Microsoft.

Still, I'm looking forward to this DLC. I have no problem with DLC in general, even season passes announced before a game releases, and I think it is something that can really add to Nintendo games, not just Zelda. I enjoyed the Mario Kart 8 DLC and thought it was very reasonably priced for the content it added, hopefully that continues with this DLC.

Parker

13 minutes ago, Parker said:

I find the response to this Zelda DLC interesting. Most of the people I've seen are very excited for it and think it will be amazing, but some of these same people (not necessarily on this site) were very vocal about DLC being announced before a game releases saying it was held back content and it is something only shitty game companies do. Of course there seems to always be a double standard with Nintendo for some people, they get a lot more slack for things people would rage about if it was Sony or Microsoft.

Still, I'm looking forward to this DLC. I have no problem with DLC in general, even season passes announced before a game releases, and I think it is something that can really add to Nintendo games, not just Zelda. I enjoyed the Mario Kart 8 DLC and thought it was very reasonably priced for the content it added, hopefully that continues with this DLC.

Definitely depends on the game, I think. I've seen both kinds in Arkham Knight - extra missions as other characters that are good extra story content, and stuff that might as well have been part of the main game (like three more villain quests in the game - when they announced it, I really thought they would have delivered more).

As for this DLC, I'm going to reserve my opinion for when I know more about that "new story" because that's where this DLC stands or falls for me.

" NINTENDO SAYS 2D ZELDA ON SWITCH IS 'DEFINITELY A POSSIBILITY' "

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2017/02/14/a-2d-zelda-on-the-switch-is-definitely-a-possibility.aspx

Since The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is a massive project, we asked Aonuma if Nintendo considered fusing the Breath of the Wild team with the team that worked on the 3DS Zelda titles like A Link Between Worlds and Tri Force Heroes. We wondered if the studio thought this would help speed up development of the upcoming console game.

“The dev pace is not really dependent on how many people are on a team, so combining them would not necessarily expedite the development pace,” says Aonuma. “The 3DS team and the Wii U team have different approaches to game development, so I don’t necessarily want to combine them and have them think together, but rather have each think about what they can bring to Nintendo Switch from their own perspective.”

Aonuma then offered additional clarification, saying “The handheld development team will not be phased out because of Nintendo Switch. Switch will allow the users to bring their home console on the go, but this doesn't mean handheld game development like Nintendo 3DS will be discontinued.”

When we asked point-blank if there was a possibility that the 3DS Zelda teams were working on a new game for the Nintendo Switch, Aonuma said, “Yes, there is definitely a possibility.”

This is good news for classic fans of the series or anyone who worry Breath of the Wild has strayed too far from the original Zelda formula. While we’ve enjoyed everything we’ve seen in Breath of the Wild, we’re sure many fans would also be excited by the idea of seeing a follow up to 2013’s A Link Between Worlds on their television screens.

“There are definitely good things about the 2D world and the playstyles of the 2D world,” Aonuma says. “There are a lot of fans who enjoy that style. This Nintendo Switch style, which is the evolved style of gameplay is not necessarily… I want you to think of it more as an evolved style of 2D style. For the 3DS team, I am trying to make them think in a more evolved 2D-style approach.”

17 hours ago, Parker said:

I doubt the same people who are giving slack to Sony are railing against Nintendo. Usually, there are people on both sides of this issue for any platform.

But anyway, regarding the game, I am hesitantly excited. One thing I've always liked about the Zelda series was its ability to tell compelling stories without devolving into pointless, boring dialogue. I hope that standard continues with this release. Trailers are always bad about making me less excited because too often, they focus on scenic views, and not enough on gameplay.  

Also, I do hope that Nintendo releases some 2-D titles in the Zelda series. I personally like 3-D as much as their 2-D counterparts, with one exception: difficulty. The games seem to have gotten much easier from Ocarina of Time onward. I'd like to see Nintendo ramp up the difficulty again, a la the old Adventures of Link days. With the evolution of 2-D gameplay (mostly through independents), I think there is a lot of potential there.

37 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Might end up seeing a resurgence of 2D titles on the switch if even aonuma is stating we might see another 2d zelda

Well at this point it's more of a "we're not ruling it out" but as I said before, I get why Nintendo tries not to make the Switch hog the handheld market now that the 3DS has some life left and we'll probably see a (sigh) switch in a year, maybe two when the handheld titles move on to the Switch big time.

3 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Well at this point it's more of a "we're not ruling it out" but as I said before, I get why Nintendo tries not to make the Switch hog the handheld market now that the 3DS has some life left and we'll probably see a (sigh) switch in a year, maybe two when the handheld titles move on to the Switch big time.

They also said the DS wouldn't replace the gameboy and we saw what happened with that. Time will tell though

11 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

They also said the DS wouldn't replace the gameboy and we saw what happened with that. Time will tell though

They also said the Switch wouldn't replace the WiiU and now Zelda is the last first party game for it. 3DS is financially sound though and it has some features the Switch can't replicate so I give it at least a year.

Handhelds are Nintendo's bread and butter so I think the Switch and 3DS are going to coexist. Nintendo makes a shitton of money on the special edition 3DS systems and I can't see them giving up on that, especially since the 3DS is much more portable than the Switch so I don't think most people are going to think of it as a handheld system. We'll see though, I suppose. 

Parker

13 minutes ago, MegaZeroXX said:

That lightning is sick. Much as well be in a covered area when there is a rain with lightning :)

Or, you know, don't wear metal armour :)

P.S. There's a Zelda carry case, I almost got that one but in the end I went with the Messenger Bag so I could take all the stuff with me (also, the messenger bag is supposed to come with a small carry case as well).

RDS-Industries-Inc-Nintendo-Switch-Game-

15 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

doubt the same people who are giving slack to Sony are railing against Nintendo. Usually, there are people on both sides of this issue for any platform.

Disagree. I give slack to Sony for season passes and DLC and some of their practices because they have at least bolstered the experience with other good things I like to soften those blows. Nintendo now wants to charge for online play and season passes without doing the rest. They want the money before they've put in the time. The season pass for Zelda sounds kind of janky. It's basically a bunch of little micro-DLC level stuff and 1 big DLC that has actual story. What sucks more is we're forced to buy all or nothing.

The fact that they are charging for online play before giving the features that Sony is offering is almost an embarrassment even at a lower price. Given Nintendo's history with online play since 2007 being notoriously laggy, unstable and not having the best friend system/inferface, it's going to take more than 6 months of the service for free to win people over, especially since during said 6 months there isn't even going to be a tremendous amount of games out. Sony offered their online service for free for an ENTIRE console generation when it was up to the level it was. Nintendo's free offerings in the past have been so sub-par they need to REALLY justify this new service. On top of the "free" games they offer being old school games (which I love), they don't appeal to non-retro gamers and you don't even get to KEEP them like you do with Sony. No Netflix, no Youtube, no nothing at launch and only 3 games. Basically they NEED Zelda to be a huge smash hit. So why they would sabotage it with a season pass which they know are usually met with mixed opinions and groans is beyond me. If I was Nintendo I would be giving away the DLC for this game for FREE to entice customers on the fence. Selling the season pass especially as an "all or nothing" deal is only going to make people like me think you're catching up to your competitors in only the worst aspects.

You've caught up in season passes and charging for online, but not in third party support, graphics, framerates, quality of service, achievements and virtually everything else. Nintendo isn't in a position to make such a risky move at this point. Seeing a lot of mixed opinions on this move already. It stirred up more doubt, and that's not good. They already stirred up doubt when they refused to give the exact specs of the Switch.

11 hours ago, Cynthia-Roses said:

Disagree. I give slack to Sony for season passes and DLC and some of their practices because they have at least bolstered the experience with other good things I like to soften those blows. Nintendo now wants to charge for online play and season passes without doing the rest. They want the money before they've put in the time. The season pass for Zelda sounds kind of janky. It's basically a bunch of little micro-DLC level stuff and 1 big DLC that has actual story. What sucks more is we're forced to buy all or nothing.

The fact that they are charging for online play before giving the features that Sony is offering is almost an embarrassment even at a lower price. Given Nintendo's history with online play since 2007 being notoriously laggy, unstable and not having the best friend system/inferface, it's going to take more than 6 months of the service for free to win people over, especially since during said 6 months there isn't even going to be a tremendous amount of games out. Sony offered their online service for free for an ENTIRE console generation when it was up to the level it was. Nintendo's free offerings in the past have been so sub-par they need to REALLY justify this new service. On top of the "free" games they offer being old school games (which I love), they don't appeal to non-retro gamers and you don't even get to KEEP them like you do with Sony. No Netflix, no Youtube, no nothing at launch and only 3 games. Basically they NEED Zelda to be a huge smash hit. So why they would sabotage it with a season pass which they know are usually met with mixed opinions and groans is beyond me. If I was Nintendo I would be giving away the DLC for this game for FREE to entice customers on the fence. Selling the season pass especially as an "all or nothing" deal is only going to make people like me think you're catching up to your competitors in only the worst aspects.

You've caught up in season passes and charging for online, but not in third party support, graphics, framerates, quality of service, achievements and virtually everything else. Nintendo isn't in a position to make such a risky move at this point. Seeing a lot of mixed opinions on this move already. It stirred up more doubt, and that's not good. They already stirred up doubt when they refused to give the exact specs of the Switch.

It does sound kind of slim for the $20 they're charging but we really don't know how much content it actually is so we'll have to wait and see what Nintendo brings to the table. The content could end up being quite significant, who knows?

As far the rest of the post, lets keep that in the Switch threads, we don't want to clog up a thread dedicated to BotW with general Switch complaints. Thanks.

Parker

Nine Zelda Tropes You Won't Find in Breath of the Wild 

Quick little list:

No Compass.

The chest opening theme will be absent.

You may spend most of the game without the classic green Link outfit.

No rupees from cutting grass.

You will have a dedicated jump button.

No Epona.

You do not acquire weapons in dungeons.

More aggressive enemies.

All bombs will be detonated remotely, no more time delay fuse.

57 minutes ago, hugglebunn-e said:

Nine Zelda Tropes You Won't Find in Breath of the Wild 

Quick little list:

No Compass.

The chest opening theme will be absent.

You may spend most of the game without the classic green Link outfit.

No rupees from cutting grass.

You will have a dedicated jump button.

No Epona.

You do not acquire weapons in dungeons.

More aggressive enemies.

All bombs will be detonated remotely, no more time delay fuse.

Haven't seen the full page but that sounds like clickbait to me.

For one, Aonuma has confirmed that Epona is in the game somewhere, somehow. Don't know how you measure aggressiveness of enemies but those in other games were pretty aggressive as well. A Link Between Worlds didn't have weapons in dungeons either.

Some of these (if real) sound good, but some sound useless. Remote-detonated bombs, in particular, seems like a bad idea. Having to time bombs (at least in regards to enemies) was a fun idea that goes back a long way.

I'll be happy if they get rid of the "cut grass to get money" mechanic. I could never figure out how a world like that even existed (even in the unicorns and rainbows realm of Nintendo). No wonder the inhabitants are constantly getting kicked around by Ganon. Apparently, they put rupees in grass, and when someone cuts the grass and takes them, they just put more rupees there (and also spray their grass with some fast-growth fertilizer).