Shaking It Up

MissShake

:platinum: #89: Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl :platinum:

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/c9d8f1/trophies/1L663a90.png

Leave Everything to Me!
Collect all the trophies.

I'm sort of weird when it comes to crossovers. I get what it is that makes them appealing, but usually I don't really care for them. I'm at the point where I even find Smash boring, I genuinely don't give a flying fuck who gets into Smash and who doesn't. That might be because there was just SO much of Smash for a while, and that just made the series no longer feel special in my eyes. Even so I thought the idea of Nick All-Stars was an interesting concept. Nickelodeon has a lot of classic IPs that could have made this game really unique, and seeing how everyone played looked like it could be a treat. But overall this plat was only good for one thing: a filler plat to add to the list.

The roster in this is really a mixed bag. I like that Helga is in here, it's nice that they recognize that Hey Arnold even exists since it's my favorite Nick show. But other than that... Do we REALLY need four Ninja Turtle characters? I know they're popular and all, but April? Not even all of the actual turtles are in here, which I would at least understand. Just seems weird. I also feel a bit weird that Ren and Stimpy has two reps. I might not really have a right to talk about this since I was never really into that show, but I feel like it'd have be fine to just have the Ren and Stimpy duo thing they have. (Maybe I just don't wanna think about the show too much because of the creator, though.) Where are the Fairly Oddparents characters? Why does The Loud House get two character reps and that show gets none? The Avatar picks also feel off to me, but that's only because I am not a watcher of the show. It feels like Zuko was the obvious pick over Toph, but I know she has her fans too so honestly that just makes me think they need a fighting game specifically for Avatar. I bet fans would love that. The three paid DLC characters are a mixed bag for me too: I didn't buy them because only one is out and also I don't really plan to continue playing this, but to some degree I do understand why the characters they pick are here, even if I don't really like them. I liked My Life as a Teenage Robot, and Jenny works just as a general pick due to her powers. Rocco is a classic, even if the show was a bit before my time. But Hugh Neutron? Really? I get that he's a meme like Nigel Thornberry and all that stuff, but Jimmy is a genius who can make a lot of gadgets that would be perfect for fights? Maybe the devs think he would have been too much like Zim, but I think if they were willing to get creative Jimmy would have made more sense.

You can very much tell that this team is made up of a bunch of Melee fans. From the way the menus are set up to the movement of characters, it feels like this dev team desperately wanted Melee fans to move to their game since "Ultimate doesn't have xyz tech and that makes our game SO much better guys!" I even remember Hungrybox, a top Melee player, running tournaments and stuff for this game a while ago, and I have his Youtube open in another tab to see if he's been playing it still. Looks like his last video about this game was a month ago. And what was covered only one video before that? Multiversus. What was covered two videos AFTER the Nick All-Star Brawl vid? Multiversus. And what still is getting coverage from him? Smash Ultimate. Now usually I don't use a single player's coverage of a game as a way to gauge how a game is doing, a community is a community after all! Buuut Hungrybox was, from what I was seeing, the person to hold onto Nick for the longest time. As far as I know he was really the ONLY person holding tourneys that had any sort of size to them, and devs even spoke to him directly. I remember that the voice acting being added in was an update that he got to reveal on stream. Smash fans may not always love the newest game in a series, but clearly they're more willing to play it than jump back into Nick without new content like DLC. Three characters are on the horizon. That's not enough.

And if we're totally honest here... Why would you want to come back? Even if you are a Smash fan, what does this game offer you that isn't available in other games? Interactions with the Nick characters? I mean... If you call random lines of dialogue "interactions," then sure. There isn't even any specific interactions if the characters know each other, which makes no sense but alright. Melee-esque movement? I'm not sure man, the attempts at emulating wavedashing just feel like the character is always on ice. A really big challenge in the highest difficulty? That being tied to a trophy? The fact that for another trophy you have to beat THREE characters at the highest level? Here's how you win: pick Toph, spam your down O, you win! So again, I ask. What does this game offer you, a person who wants to play a game like Smash, that can't be found somewhere else? Fanservice for Nickelodeon properties is probably the best you're going to get. I'm probably gonna sound like I'm bragging here, and I'm sorry in advance, but considering every year (that a pandemic hasn't been happening) I have been to San Diego Comic Con and there's ALWAYS a bunch of Nickelodeon stuff... I don't really need that nostalgia? And even besides that, we ALL know that Spongebob is everywhere still. My fave Nick property got The Jungle Movie. I'm pretty sure Avatar is on Netflix, as is Korra, and both of those have comics too. I know for a fact that Invader Zim has a comic book and a sequel movie thing. If you are really nostalgic for Nick properties you aren't exactly starving for choice, so maybe just stick to something that has some actual quality to it.

And I hate the plat image. The Wild Thornberries is really fucking overrated. Change my mind.

• Like 4

Ok, now seeing a proper review from someone who knows Smash AND Nickelodeon...I don't feel that bad for bashing in the game anymore xD 

It did feel like a "why is this even a game" indeed. The game felt like the stories I had to write for school when I was 10, take several ideas that contradict each other, put them into a jumble mess that resembles a form of writing on paper and call it a day. 

Also I never dashed in this game, heard about wave dashing in Smash but I preferred to jump because dashing...yeah 100m skating more like.

And this xD 

10 minutes ago, MissShake said:

A really big challenge in the highest difficulty? That being tied to a trophy? The fact that for another trophy you have to beat THREE characters at the highest level? Here's how you win: pick Toph, spam your down O, you win!

Having to set up the match was harder than getting the actual trophy.

Congrats though, if anything, it was fun to read about the game here (more than actually playing it lol)

P.S. I still didn't understand the idea of Sports event in this game...it's the most lame ass capture the flag game ever.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Copanele said:

It did feel like a "why is this even a game" indeed. The game felt like the stories I had to write for school when I was 10, take several ideas that contradict each other, put them into a jumble mess that resembles a form of writing on paper and call it a day.

See I thought the appeal of crossovers was seeing different characters interact... So it's just really weird that they don't. Then again, I am the resident crossover hater, so what do I know!

15 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Also I never dashed in this game, heard about wave dashing in Smash but I preferred to jump because dashing...yeah 100m skating more like.

Iirc, Smash games do feel a little bit... Skatey, but I don't remember it being this bad. I feel like I fell off of the map waaaaay more in Nick than in Smash. That goes for any version of Smash!

17 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Having to set up the match was harder than getting the actual trophy.

Yeah when you messaged me about that I booted the game up and sort of thought to myself... This menu isn't very clear, is it? But because Melee was such a huge part of my childhood I instinctively knew. No wonder you were struggling, man.

19 minutes ago, Copanele said:

P.S. I still didn't understand the idea of Sports event in this game...it's the most lame ass capture the flag game ever.

Was so relevant I forgot to even talk about it in this post! :awesome:

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

To read about my 92nd plat you can head to my Evo checklist here!

:platinum: #93: Spyro the Dragon :platinum:

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/b8edaf/trophies/1L891f42.png

Gnasty's Demise
Collect all Spyro the Dragon Trophies

A classic has been completed! I owned the original Spyro back on the PS1, I think it was actually one of the first games we owned for the console. I don't think we ever beat the game, though, so this is my first time giving the game a proper run. Thoughts? Well... It was okay.

First things first, the graphics for this remake are excellent. Everything is so colorful and full of personality, I especially like the variety that comes with all of the dragons you free and the design of the Dream Weaver world. The art style is excellent and Toys For Bob really went all out on this aspect of the game. Second of all, the level designs themselves were varied and had just the right amount of challenge to them. I love how you sometimes have to think outside of the box to really figure out where every gem is, many times utilizing the level specific gimmicks in creative ways to navigate around. Speaking of navigation, I have to say that Spyro's controls felt a bit off to me. There were quite a few times where I would miss a jump in a way that just didn't make sense to me, so that was rather annoying, but maybe that's just a me problem. I don't play a lot of collectathon games, so maybe my lack of experience in the genre was hindering me in this case.

So then I thought to myself: why don't I play a lot of collectathons? I think... Maybe I just don't like them very much. I'm coming to realize that I'm not really an "explorer" type of gamer: I like knowing where I'm going and why, I like having side stuff placed on a map if I've already walked past it, and if a game is about exploring I like the idea of finding a story or something interesting with it. Collectathons are not really that, you explore and you find more items to collect to get your number up, and that doesn't really do much for me. Weird to say because I like to try and collect plats, I suppose, but this genre just might not be for me.

I didn't DISlike Spyro, it was a nice trip down memory lane and I definitely appreciate aspects of it. But I do find myself needing more breaks than usual when I play games like this, so it's clearly not one of my all-time fave games. I'll come back for the other two games in the series, but I think for now I'm going to attempt another series in the genre to see if maybe it's just Spyro that isn't for me. Stay tuned to figure out what series that is ;)
Edited by MissShake
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, MissShake said:

:platinum: #94: Saints Row: The Third Remastered :platinum:

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/082731/trophies/1Leaf877.png

Kingpin
Unlock all Trophies in Saints Row: The Third Remastered.

Awesome write-up! I been thinkin about trying this out for years, maybe it's time to take the plunge.

19 minutes ago, MissShake said:

Maybe I'll finally give GTA a shot, I have that PS2 pack of III, VC, and SA... I also have Bully and Sleeping Dogs, so maybe I'll try one of those soon? Or heck, maybe I'll go back to SR4. I couldn't plat it because I ended up with a glitch, so maybe it's time to just finish that up. Who knows?

As much of a GTA fanboy as I am... I gotta give a shout to Bully and Sleeping Dogs. Those games are so good and so unique in the open world game landscape, I can't recommend those enough.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

Awesome write-up! I been thinkin about trying this out for years, maybe it's time to take the plunge.

As much of a GTA fanboy as I am... I gotta give a shout to Bully and Sleeping Dogs. Those games are so good and so unique in the open world game landscape, I can't recommend those enough.

Thanks for giving it a read! It's definitely a fun time, kind of mindless but I think we can all appreciate that every once in a while lol.

Honestly I was leaning that way too. Bully in particular has been calling my name and I'm not even really sure why? I'll probably need a couple of plats outside of the genre first though, games like this tend to feel like a chore when played back to back... At least for me!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
:platinum: #99: Mortal Kombat X :platinum:

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/149d39/trophies/1L7eb13e.png

Platinum Trophy
All Trophies Unlocked

My seventh UR, and my rarest trophy in general! I never expected that I'd end up with the plat for a Mortal Kombat game of all things, but my previously mentioned EVO challenge sort of forced me out of my comfort zone in this case. If you want the full breakdown of the adventure you can check out the link, but here's the condensed version from the link.

The trophy list for this game is a mixed bag, much of it just being a complete fucking mess. A lot of it is very grindy, and that's all well and good, but I think that you HAVE to be online for much of it. I'm pretty certain that once this game gets taken offline not only will the trophies from these modes be unobtainable, but I have a feeling the EXP and Faction trophies are gonna completely break. Shit, the game is still online and even then many of these trophies are glitched all to hell. Basically what I'm getting at is this: Invasions are back on, the towers are still working, but I have a feeling that this is temporary. My gut is saying that they brought back Invasions because the game is going offline soon, and this is their way of letting weird trophy hunters like us get a chance at these trophies before it's too late. Should you start MKX even with this being a possibility? I'd maybe advise not, but if you want to get this plat do it now. Better safe than sorry.

It's a fun game though, and I definitely see why people like this series so much! I just think this particular plat is not great for someone who might be new to the genre/hates online trophies, and that's why it's so rare.

I know this post is short, but I had to update you guys on what I've been up to before I begin writing for The Big One. I've already got my 100th plat done, and I have a LOT to say, so I'll just put this here instead of combining it with my next one. Stay tuned, it might be a couple of days...
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Spider-Man916 said:

You're very welcome!  No rush.  I'll get there when I get there.  Quality over quantity, I say. 

Agreed. I tried to do some quicker stuff simply for the sake of the plat early on, but I found I just didn't enjoy it. I'd rather the game be quality so I don't feel like I'm just bumping a number up lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

:platinum: #101: Life is Strange: True Colors :platinum:
https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/acb16f/trophies/1L52a44c.png

Haven Maven
Collect all Trophies in Life is Strange: True Colors

I think we all at least know of the Life is Strange games. Back when the Telltale-esque formula was all the rage, the first game came out and put its own spin on the genre. Whether it was successful at what it wanted to do was divisive, and both sides had their fair points to back up their opinions. I'm someone who liked the games: all of them did have their ups and downs, but I found the emotional aspect of the writing to be engaging. (And yes, I didn't hate LiS2. I know this makes me strange.)

I knew I would eventually give True Colors a run, I have the plat for every other game in the series after all. Something always held me back from giving it a shot, though. I've had this game installed on my PS4 for quite some time, but I always found myself skipping over this one to play something else. But then the Trophies to Fight Cancer event started up, and I knew I was going to make this game my pink rep. It ended up taking me a long time even then to get this game started, who knew that Mortal Kombat would end up holding so much of my attention at the end of the year? Then of course Sonic Frontiers came out and it just HAD to be my 100th plat, so True Colors was again neglected. When I finally booted the game up I didn't really know what to expect. I was spoiled on what kicked the game's main conflict off, but everything else? Totally fresh to me.

I'll say this right now: if you weren't a fan of past games in the series this game will not change your mind. It still has the same vibe as the previous games, but True Colors might be the slowest paced game of the series yet. You have rather large stretches of the game that are just meant for building the town of Haven and its residents up, and I know this might not be to everyone's liking. If I remember right, the third episode doesn't even have a single moment that was related to the main plot, so I can definitely see this being frustrating to some people that give this game a try. (Funny enough I think it may be tied with the fourth chapter as my favorite chapters of the game.)

I have a huge soft spot for good character writing, though, and that's where True Colors really shines. The problem with Life is Strange 2 is that the characters that weren't the brothers didn't get a lot of depth to them, but that's definitely not an issue here. Every resident of Haven is fully fleshed out and interesting, even if you don't necessarily like them, so I quickly found myself becoming attached. Alex herself is truly wonderful to play as, she's incredibly likeable and I particularly love how her powers tie into her past.

Speaking of, the LiS games focus on characters who seem completely normal on the surface but in actuality have superpowers. Alex's power is that she has empathy that literally lets her see the auras of those around her. This allows her to read situations exceptionally well, giving her the ability to read their thoughts and even in some cases take their emotions away. But this has a major drawback: if she is too close to someone who is dealing with a particularly negative emotion she will lash out at those around her due to the feeling being too intense. As a gameplay element this isn't quite as interesting as the time powers from the first game, but it's still very cool to see in action. There's some particularly tense choices that come from this, and I definitely had to consider the pros and cons to my actions more than once.

The rest of the cast is just as likable as Alex, with Ryan and Steph being particularly fun. You spend the most time with these two as they are your two potential romance options, so it makes sense that they're both great. In these games I often find that the romance choices are easy to make, but here I definitely flip flopped on who Alex should pick because both of them were just so charming. I ended up picking Ryan because I guess I like dorky mountain men more than I'd like to admit lol. But I think in the end this was the wrong choice for Alex's character. Her and Steph are seriously on the same wavelength on many things, and Steph is always on your side no matter what, so it just makes more sense than Alex and Ryan does. Ah well, maybe I'll play it again and try to make different choices!

I won't spoil much of the story itself because I really enjoyed going into this blind, but if you liked past games you're gonna enjoy this one. It's nothing groundbreaking, and there's a couple of plot points that did feel maybe a bit too similar to past games, but I had a lot of fun revisiting the LiS formula. I do think the game is a bit too pricey though, so maybe get it when it's on discount.
  • Like 4

• 5 months later...

Alright, let's get this baby back up and running...

:platinum: #103: Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus :platinum:
https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/f1410d/trophies/1Ld1830e.png

True Thievius Raccoonus
Unlock all trophies for Sly Cooper's first outing

I grew up with the Sly Cooper games, so it was a blast to come back to this series! I had forgotten how different the first game is compared to the other PS2 games (we only rented this one, we had copies of Sly 2 and 3 though), so I admit I did need to readjust to the different structure. It's a great time though, I always loved the boss in the swamp level in particular! Since I only rented this one I didn't have many memories of Sly 1, but I always remembered the voodoo lady boss fight! But unfortunately for me, this boss was particularly annoying when you're streaming the game and don't exactly have great internet... Yeah might have to remember that for any games I may try that require great timing lol.

If you haven't been exposed to Sly Cooper, it's a mascot platformer with stealth elements. You play as the sneaky thief Sly in his quest to retrieve all of the missing pages of the titular Thievius Raccoonus, a book passed down by his ancestors which details all of their various thieving techniques, which have of course been stolen by a group of criminals known as the Fiendish Five. As a child, these criminals murdered Sly's parents, forcing him to grow up in an orphanage. This is where he meets his buddies Bentley and Murray, a genius turtle and strong hippo respectively. One of the most fun parts of this game comes in the form of the characters and how they interact with each other, especially Sly and Bentley since he acts as your in-game guide throughout the adventure. You won't exactly be getting Shakespeare writing, but I did laugh out loud once or twice.

As for the platinum itself, you aren't going to have to do anything too difficult. You'll need to collect every blueprint to pop this plat, which requires you to get every clue bottle in every level, so I recommend trying to get these as you go so you don't have as much backtracking later on. None of these collectibles are particularly difficult though, so even if you do have to revisit some levels it won't be the end of the world.

If you're looking for a PS2 era classic you honestly can't go wrong with the trilogy. I'm sure to have more to say about the other two games once I pop those plats, but the first game is absolutely worth a look!

I've popped a couple more plats since I last updated this, so stay tuned if you wanna read about some more plat adventures!

• Like 3

:platinum: #104: Boyfriend Dungeon :platinum:
https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/2eaa28/trophies/1L9b45ca.png

Obtain all of the Trophies
Obtain all of the Trophies

It's funny that my first PS5 plat ended up being from a game I've already played on the Switch, but after being gone from the trophy game for as long as I was I wanted something simple. (For reference, I popped Sly at the beginning of December... I popped Boyfriend Dungeon at the end of April.) Boyfriend Dungeon is a weird dungeon crawler/dating sim hybrid where the weapons you wield are, in fact, the characters you date. The longer you spend time with the weapons, the more they like you, which means you not only get more scenes with them but you also upgrade their abilities within the dungeons. It's a fun concept, but I feel like the game is missing something.

You play as a completely customizable main character that is visiting the picturesque Verona Beach in hopes of gaining some dating experience. With the help of your cousin Jesse, you meet a few people and go on some pretty disastrous dates. The first suitor is particularly nasty: he ends up being a stalker character, and causes the main conflict of the story to kick off with his obsession. Yikes! But as your character adventures into the dungeons, they gain confidence in themselves, which ends up bringing up the quality of their dates! Funny how that works, huh?

Speaking of dates, how are the characters in Boyfriend Dungeon? I'd say that I didn't really dislike any of them, even when some characters were huge assholes (cough Sunder cough). But on the flip side, I didn't really fall in love with any of them either. I did have my favorites: Rowan is delightfully weird, and Seven seems like he'd be the chillest buddy. But the characters simply don't get fleshed out enough. You have moments within the dungeon where you go on little mini dates, but these don't feel fleshed out enough to give any real substance. You do have full events with the characters outside of the dungeon though, and these do have some meat on their bones, but it just isn't enough. The main reason is because you only have six dates with each character. I feel like ten events is just the standard for games with this structure, and it'd really help in this game because it feels like just as each arc is really getting started they're just... Done, including any reason to spend time with them. To top it off, sometimes these events feel incredibly short, like the writers got lazy or something. It can be a bit jarring, what can I say.

So then, what about the combat? Again, there could be more to it. After every date you have with a weapon, their abilities level up, meaning you get access to new powers that make your future dungeon visits much easier. Sometimes you can pick between two different abilities, which got me thinking. Despite the name of the game, you can date any weapon or be platonic with them, so wouldn't it maybe be interesting if you get different abilities based on what your relationship is? Just to give it some pizazz! I think it would've made the game feel more customizable, anyway. Not like it matters much, anyway... Since there's only three dungeons. Yup, three. In a game called Boyfriend Dungeon, there doesn't seem to be much of boyfriends OR dungeons. (Yes there are female and nonbinary options too, but shhhh.)

What about the trophy list, then? You need max affection with each romance option (can be platonic or otherwise), you need to obtain every item and craft everything you can, and you need to beat Flutterbug Road. With the various Steam guides you can find, the romance stuff and item crafting should be a piece of cake save for one somewhat challenging side boss that requires players to "ace" it. This means you not only have to live, but I'm pretty sure to ace it you need to be at pretty high health AND do it within a short amount of time. It's not impossible, but you may fail a few times before you really get a rhythm down. That just leaves Flutterbug Road, the indie game staple of an incredibly annoying in-game video game that is weirdly hard for no real reason. I'm not gonna say this is on the level of Stardew Valley's Journey of the Prairie King or even Va11 Hall-a's Model Warrior Julianne, but the physics of the Flutterbugs can be really frustrating. This one will probably be the plat killer, but I doubt it's gonna kill TOO many plats lol.

Ultimately the game just feels like it's unfinished. There's only three dungeons, the writing for the characters doesn't live up to its full potential, and the amount of dates you get per character is just too small for what the game is trying to accomplish. So I bet you're wondering: "Shake, you bought this game on the Switch before. You knew what you were getting into. Why did you buy it again?" The ultimate answer? I'm not totally sure myself lol. I think it was because I knew what I was getting into, and I wanted something mindless I could play while listening to some Youtube. It's not like I didn't have fun while playing this! It's just a game that I feel like could've been amazing if it had maybe had a year or so more development time.

Edited by MissShake
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

:platinum: #106: Sly 2: Band of Thieves :platinum:
https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/50ebc8/trophies/1L4080dc.png

Unlikely Bandit
Unlock all Sly Cooper and the Band of Thieves Trophies

It's always an interesting experience replaying the games of your childhood, and Sly 2 is definitely a game of my childhood. I have the opening level in Paris seared into my memory, its background music essentially being part of the soundtrack to my elementary school years. I myself actually didn't play the Sly games often, I'd instead watch my younger sister play them, so I actually think that this is the first time in my life that I was the one to complete Sly 2 on my own. It was nice to revisit the world of Sly, especially because this game holds up rather well!

The sequel still follows the lovable Sly and his buddies, except this time they're looking for the parts of Clockwerk, Sly's eternal rival that was thought to be taken care of in the previous game. Each part has been stolen by a group known as the Klaww Gang in hopes of utilizing them for different (highly illegal) enterprises, and Sly makes it his mission to make sure Clockwerk does not come back to life. There's a few more twists and turns in this game compared to the plot of Sly 1, much of it involving Interpol and Carmelita, the fox that is constantly after Sly. She was definitely a part of Sly 1, but it's in this game where I feel like her dynamic with Sly becomes a bit more fun. Her no-nonsense, law-abiding personality clashes so well with the gang, it's really fun to watch in action. I think part of it was the addition of Neyla, a mysterious tiger that has been partnered up with Carmelita at Interpol, yet she finds time to help Sly's gang when it could benefit the both of them. Of course, not everything is as it seems with her, but her relationship with the main cast keeps things fresh.

Character expansion is kind of a big aspect of Sly 2, since this game has added sections where you play as Bentley or Murray. While I appreciate the gameplay switch-up, I feel like these moments just weren't as fun as the Sly levels, with Murray being the better of the two. I found that Murray's strength-based moveset made it easier to get from point a to point b without too much stop and start, while Bentley needed a bit more patience. Bentley being more of the brains of the operation of course means that he's more fragile than the other members of the trio, so a lot of his moveset is about using sleeping darts to put enemies to sleep. It's interesting, but I like Sly's mobility options the best of the cast by far.

When it comes to the hubs themselves, I must admit that I love the second level. Yeah, Paris is iconic because of the music and Dimitri, who is far and away the most memorable bad guy of this game, but the second hub has my favorite part of the game: dancing with Carmelita and Neyla to distract partygoers. I was actually worried about this section because I am playing this via streaming on my PS5, and I was expecting that to cause issues much like it did with Mz. Ruby in Sly 1. But that didn't seem to be the case at all, which makes me wonder if maybe the timing in Sly 1 was just harder? It's true that the game at least felt easier in this one, so maybe that's the case... I also enjoyed the level in Prague since my heritage is based in the Czech Republic, so it was incredibly funny to see how spooky they made that level look. Ooh, eastern Europe, terrifying!!!

I think the ease of this game carried over to the plat itself, since you don't have to collect every clue bottle this time. This has to be done for one of the hub worlds only, so you're not exactly in for a grind. I did this easily in the first hub, without a guide, and it definitely felt like minimal effort. I'd say the grind this time can come in the form of buying specific moves for the characters. Don't be like me and buy every upgrade you see unless you REALLY want one. I recommend saving for the trophy required upgrades, then maybe going nuts with your money afterwards. I ended up needing to grind for some money in later levels because I didn't save, so I suppose it's good to keep that in mind.

Overall I think Sly 2 is excellent, and my gripes with the game are minuscule. Like I completely forgot to mention some of the mini games that were annoying for me, but I'm willing to accept that I might just be bad. Even with that, I think Sly 2 is a reminder of what made the PS2 so magical. You don't get games that hit like this anymore.
  • Like 2