Shaking It Up

MissShake

15 hours ago, MissShake said:

:platinum: #115: Venba :platinum:

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/9a97e6/trophies/1La8610c.png

I had seen this game's lovely art style but wasn't sure how the gameplay would hold up. Your review is lovely, and I'm so happy to hear that it was a pleasant experience despite its short length! Definitely will keep an eye out for when it is on sale closer to $10, though, considering the game length. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, pelagia14 said:

I had seen this game's lovely art style but wasn't sure how the gameplay would hold up. Your review is lovely, and I'm so happy to hear that it was a pleasant experience despite its short length! Definitely will keep an eye out for when it is on sale closer to $10, though, considering the game length. 

I'm glad you liked it! Yeah it's not at a terrible price now, but considering how short it is I just can't say pulling the trigger is a good move. The art is beautiful though, and I think that the story is worth it in the end!

Edited by MissShake
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

:platinum: #118: Bomb Rush Cyberfunk :platinum:

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/4d57ea/trophies/1L4233e6.png

Bomb Rush Platinum
Unlocked all trophies!

As we approach the end of the year, I've been looking over my list of platinums, anticipating what my end of the year list is gonna look like. One thing I should have probably expected, yet didn't, was the amount of indies I'd played this year. With all of these amazing games releasing in 2023 it's really easy to expect that I may have a bunch of AAAs under my belt. But no, I have basically stuck to the indie scene and I am having the time of my life. And even after the amazing year of indies 2023 has been, I think Bomb Rush Cyberfunk might be up there as one of the standouts.

I don't know if I've ever really mentioned it, but one of my favorite platformers ever is Jet Set Radio Future. (JSR is okay, but Future is miles better in my opinion.) Everything about that game feels incredible, be it the gameplay or the presentation. It just oozes cool, even now, and yet it was the last time Sega touched the property outside of the occasional appearance in racing games. Over two decades later, and a team in the Netherlands went "fine we'll fucking do it ourselves," and this is where Bomb Rush Cyberfunk comes in. On a very basic level you play as a member of the Bomb Rush Crew, a group of writers (graffiti artists) who have dreams of making the city of New Amsterdam their own. (We're going All City, baby!) But the story is quick to twist the expectations, and by quick I mean everything goes batshit in the tutorial level. Breaking out of jail! Evil looking DJs! Cybernetic heads! From the beginning BRCF kicks the door open with some 40s in hand, and yells "are you ready to have a fucking good time???"

And what a good time you will have, especially in your movement. You can walk, sure, but most of the real meat and potatoes in BRCF is in roller skates, skateboards, and bikes. Not only are these faster than walking, but you can do tricks while getting from point a to point b. If you're familiar with the Tony Hawk games it's a bit like that, complete with manuals and rail grinding, but I'd say it's a lot less complicated. For example you don't have a balance meter like in Tony Hawk, so you don't really have to worry about beefing it. In fact I'd say that once you get the hang of the system it becomes incredibly easy to rack points up, especially when you figure out that hard corners and wall rides up your score multiplier, plus boost tricks help keep the combo going. The timing on boost tricks can take a little bit of practice, but once you get a rhythm going it becomes like second nature. This is especially important if you're going for the platinum since you're gonna need to hit specific point thresholds in all seven of the areas in the game.

https://i.imgur.com/RVyYibV.png

When you first meet this guy a song plays that goes "let me see you shake that... ASSASSASSASS." No I'm not making this up, no I don't get it.

Another big aspect of the game is graffiti. To claim territory and become All City you'll need to mark your territory, and you'll need to tag each borough to chase the reigning gangs out. In the original JSR you would do an unresponsive stick movement mini game to tag, while JSRF got rid of the tagging mini games completely. BRCF hits an interesting middle ground by presenting the player with a grid that they have to fill out by flicking the analog stick in different directions, and each combination results in a different piece of graffiti art. It's better than JSR's game, but I still found it a little clunky at times. It was worth it when I'd see the resulting graffiti though: Team Reptile brought on a bunch of artists to add their graffiti into the game (I think there was even a contest for it), and it's really neat to see each artist's own little touch in-game.

Graffiti has been a huge part of JSR since the beginning, but for my money one of the most iconic aspects of Jet Set Radio games is the soundtrack. I think it's clear the BRCF devs agree with me on this since there's a lot of effort put into the music. Every track in this game feels like it would fit right in with JSR; they even invited the composer of JSR on to make music for this game, along with other creators that have clearly been influenced by the games. (One even did an entire album of tribute tracks to JSR.) I don't think the soundtrack quite soars to the heights of JSRF, but it sure isn't a slouch either. I love how well every track fits in a given area, and I'm especially a fan of the tracks that tended to play when back at the hideout. They may not be quite as energetic as many of the level songs are, but they had me nodding my head as I'd skate around. If you want a small sample I'd point to the following tracks as favorites: GET ENUF, Refuse, I Wanna Kno, condensed milk, Light Switch (I think this one is my favorite overall, I especially love how low budget this MV clearly is lol).

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod/images/bomb-rush-cyberfunk-6-6501f900d04cf.jpg?crop=1xw:1xh;center,top&resize=1200:*

"JUST CAN'T GET ENUF OF YOU"

I should probably be a bit more fair and what I disliked about this game, huh? I may have a lot of compliments to pay to BRCF, but that's not to say it's perfect. One thing this game did not need to emulate was the terrible map system of JSRF. I remember having an absolutely miserable time navigating the last level of that game because the map system was just so awful, but JSRF also came out in 2002. BRCF never shies away from its inspiration, but there is no reason for Team Reptile to not modernize navigation. I also found using your phone to be a bit awkward, I'd often find myself hitting the wrong direction on the d-pad while trying to get to my text messages. It gets even worse when you have to take pictures for a trophy since you have to move your character around while trying to get the shot, and it never really felt all that intuitive.

All that being said, Bomb Rush Cyberfunk is absolutely worth your time. It's fun, it's stylish, it doesn't take itself too seriously, and on top of it all it has an incredibly fun platinum. Team Reptile managed to strike a great balance with this list, nothing is exactly handed to you but at the same time everything feels within reach. I only hope that this game gets the recognition it deserves and Sega takes notice, I'm really missing Beat and the gang. (Or remaster JSRF? Please? I know one of the record labels went out of business so the tracks are in limbo, and I know the soundtrack is essential to the game, but still? Please?)

(Side note, special thanks to my sister and her boyfriend on this plat! They came over for the Thanksgiving holiday and popped the first three trophies, then went home and got all the achievements on Steam for this game lol.)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, MissShake said:

All of this to say that Clash of Heroes is a great time. Yes, it may sound basic on paper, but the gameplay is worth experiencing. I've heard this might fit for fans of Puzzle Quest, so if you enjoy that series maybe give this a try!

Say no more! Wishlisted :lol: 

To be fair, already did that, I just want more Puzzle Quest!

Also...and I can't believe I am saying this...your review of Gnosia counts as the first instance where something made me curious about a Visual Novel.

That artstyle...damn!

12 hours ago, Copanele said:

Say no more! Wishlisted :lol: 

To be fair, already did that, I just want more Puzzle Quest!

Also...and I can't believe I am saying this...your review of Gnosia counts as the first instance where something made me curious about a Visual Novel.

That artstyle...damn!

Time to add some VNs to your list, friend! You're gonna run out of fighting games eventually ;)

6 hours ago, pelagia14 said:

I'm also quite intrigued by Gnosia now, as well!

Glad to hear that it was a great start to 2024 for ya!

Gnosia is awesome, and based on what I've seen on your checklist I think it'd be right up your alley :D

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MissShake said:

I already have some plans related to a particular raccoon...

OMG it's gonna be Tom Nook! anger : r/AnimalCrossing

11 minutes ago, MissShake said:

Stranded Deep[...]  Maybe someday I'll come back to it and give it a real try... Maybe.

I did the same thing... I definitely won't and I have no intention of going back to it and I have no shame :P 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Breakingthegreen said:

OMG it's gonna be Tom Nook! anger : r/AnimalCrossing

Look, I saw enough of Tom Nook back in the Covid days and when I was a kid, he's gonna have to be without me for a while longer!!!

5 minutes ago, Breakingthegreen said:

I did the same thing... I definitely won't and I have no intention of going back to it and I have no shame :P 

You know what, I appreciate the honesty. If onIy I was as honest as you 😛

Edited by MissShake
  • Like 1

Hell yeah 2023 wrap-up post let's go!

2 hours ago, MissShake said:

Funniest Platinum

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/5eb1b0/Lf889bc.png

I remember this one 😂 and especially the short-term madness that was on the forum with this bad boy autopop.

Good times... 😌

2 hours ago, MissShake said:

Worst Platinum

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/b2bc05/L8e41a1.png

aaaand I remember this one too, the most frustrating ass fox and "humans are bad m'kay?" moments, if I recall.

Thankfully I avoided this game :D 

The 2024 plans sound awesome, definitely supporting the more RPG completion, because there's never enough archer assassins in the videogame world :lol:  

Edited by Copanele
  • Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 8:52 PM, MissShake said:

There was a period of time in 2023 where all I thought about was I Was a Teenage Exocolonist. Even now, more than half a year later, I'm considering going back to it to get the PS4 stack

Just remembered that I wanted to ask you, did you get either of the Exocolonist Plushies? (If you hadn't but wanted to get them, sorry the pre order timed out on the 5th)

Finji on X: "It's the FINAL WEEK to purchase an I Was a Teenage Exocolonist  plushie! Sol & Vricki will only be available until Friday, January 5th!  Check them out here: https://t.co/XCvK0ekY9J #

Edited by Breakingthegreen

On 1/18/2024 at 8:53 AM, Breakingthegreen said:

Just remembered that I wanted to ask you, did you get either of the Exocolonist Plushies? (If you hadn't but wanted to get them, sorry the pre order timed out on the 5th)

Finji on X: "It's the FINAL WEEK to purchase an I Was a Teenage Exocolonist  plushie! Sol & Vricki will only be available until Friday, January 5th!  Check them out here: https://t.co/XCvK0ekY9J #

I saw them but I didn't get one. I'm honestly not huge on plushies, they're really cute though :D

• Like 1

:platinum: #121: Coffee Talk Episode 2: Hibiscus & Butterfly :platinum:

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/7a44d0/trophies/1L6bdd54.png

Thank you for Playing
Unlock all trophies

It's raining right now. I haven't gotten out of my pajamas despite having to work in a couple of hours. I have a cup of coffee next to me, and a Games Done Quick run is playing while I type this sentence. When people think of the word "cozy" I assume a similar scene might come to mind, so I suppose it's fitting that I'm writing about Coffee Talk 2, a game that fits squarely into the cozy gaming umbrella.

In a version of Seattle where humans coexist with fantastical creatures (think elves, banshees, werewolves, vampires) there sits a coffee shop that opens late and closes at ungodly hours of the night. This is the titular Coffee Talk, and you play as its mysterious barista. You have a handful of regulars that are often dropping by, and your main job is to make the correct drink while you listen to their woes. Sounds simple, right? That's because it is: this gameplay loop is not here to stress you out by any means, you are here to look at pretty drinks and read a fairly low stakes visual novel. It was a perfect game to play before bed.

https://d2rd7etdn93tqb.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/coffee-talk-2-gala-tea-042723.jpg

The pixel art is top notch.

I'd say the biggest draw of Coffee Talk 2 is the character writing, which really shouldn't be a surprise. There's not really a main overarching plot, but each character has their own stories that read a bit like vignettes. You see how these people interact and how the connections they make at the cafe help them figure out aspects about themselves. There's a huge emphasis on the connections people make; be it romantic, platonic, or even a budding work partnership, and each on is made to feel important in its own way. I couldn't help but wonder how the cafe stayed in business since I assume the same sevenish people can't sustain the bills I'm sure the cafe has, but I definitely found the cast of Coffee Talk 2 to be incredibly endearing.

Spoiler

I think the moment that really stuck with me was the secret ending, which you can only get if you've seen the normal and good endings. Throughout the game there's this cat that seems to appear at random, and there's no hints about its identity until this ending. This is when Mohammad Fahmi, the creator of Coffee Talk, appears, getting ready to head off to a writing conference with returning character Freya. Fahmi passed away in 2022 and this cat is his Tofu, and when I figured this out I gotta admit I teared up. I think it's amazing that in a way he lives on in his works, and it was such a nice thought to make this happen literally within Coffee Talk.

This also had me thinking about the game he was in the process of making, Afterlove EP. The game took a hiatus after his passing, and looking at the trailer I definitely see why. The game is about loss, about living your life after losing someone who meant a lot to you, and it must be incredibly difficult to make a game where not only is there no leader, but that leader is truly gone. The development has since resumed under a new lead, and I think that the devs could channel what they went through to create something truly special. I'll be there when they're ready to share Afterlove EP, and I wish the best for them.

I'd definitely give Coffee Talk 2 the recommend if you are a fan of visual novels, but only if you played the first one. There's a couple of references to specific reveals in the first game that will go over your head if you didn't play the first one, but as a pair I think Coffee Talk is an experience that's worth a try. I can confirm that it's even better with a hot beverage by your side.

https://i.imgur.com/XOO7z5O.png

Mohammad Fahmi, creator of Coffee Talk

1990-2022

• Like 3

Main post has been revamped!

Lately I've been looking at my main post and not feeling too much towards it... So now it's been changed up a bit! Let me know what you guys think.

I am also doing something pretty big, which is combining what I had at Shake's Evolution and putting it in here instead. I tried running two checklists, definitely didn't like it. But I think the idea I had over there wasn't all that bad, so I see no reason to bring it over to here.

What is Shake's Evolution, you ask? Well it was my own little challenge to myself, where I attempted to get as many platinums for games that were featured at the Evo main stage. With Tekken 8 in my hands I have a renewed spark to play some fighting games, so let's hope this means some of those games I've had at 90% completion get done sooner rather than later.

Speaking of games I've had on the backlog... Cleanup Crew. Think it's time I look over the list of nominated games again and get back to that, wouldn't you say? There's a couple of them that I think are in need of a look, including some fighting games, so perhaps we'll see progress on Cleanup Crew sooner than you'd expect  :D

Edited by MissShake
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, MissShake said:

:platinum: #122: Tekken 8 :platinum:

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/2e9f14/trophies/1Lbdf95d.png

A fight is about survival.
Acquired all trophies.

I had the same mirror experience when Guilty Gear Strive appeared, the "bullshit blazing"  gameplay paired with a damn fire story mode + a satisfying concluision.

That was such a fun read, so glad that Tekken 8 fully delivered for you! :D it's always a damn pleasure to see an arc being successfully completed in a fighting game! Gives you even more motivation to fire those punches and kicks with friends!

Definitely having my eyes on this one, Reina is just too good of a new character to ignore!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Copanele said:

I had the same mirror experience when Guilty Gear Strive appeared, the "bullshit blazing"  gameplay paired with a damn fire story mode + a satisfying concluision.

That was such a fun read, so glad that Tekken 8 fully delivered for you! :D it's always a damn pleasure to see an arc being successfully completed in a fighting game! Gives you even more motivation to fire those punches and kicks with friends!

Definitely having my eyes on this one, Reina is just too good of a new character to ignore!

It's just amazing to me that they managed to do it in such a satisfying way! Many games that are more story focused do worse than Tekken 8 did, I really think that this has set a new bar. I might need to redownload Strive and watch the story again, I remember the Xrd ones being a trip...

I can't wait until you pick up Reina and inevitably beat my ass with her :D

• Like 2

Well done. You are postively beaming about this game and it is well deserved.

Spoiler

When Jin switched to fighting Mishima style and I slowly started realising Jin has a new (old?) moveset and THEN the nostalgic remixed music kicked in I turned up the volume and fully immersed myself in the moment. This one moment is the best moment I have seen in any fighting game story mode.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, FreshFromThaDeli said:

This one moment is the best moment I have seen in any fighting game story mode.

Exactly. It is the perfect summary of the character's journey, and I genuinely don't know how it can be topped. It makes me so excited for the future of the genre too, now that devs realize some of us do care about the story I think a lot more moments like this are gonna show up :D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2024 at 3:43 AM, MissShake said:

:platinum: #122: Tekken 8 :platinum:

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/2e9f14/trophies/1Lbdf95d.png

A fight is about survival.
Acquired all trophies.

This year is looking to be absolutely stacked, and we're already off to a good start before January has even ended. Lots of people on here are playing the remaster of The Last of Us Part II (for some reason), and I know a good chunk of us are excited to have their hands on Infinite Wealth, but me? I was so hyped for Tekken 8 from the moment I finished up Tekken 7's story. Sure, I still played 7 after I was done with that story mode, but the ending of that game made me feel like the plot was gonna be insane in 8.

But this is a fighting game, so before we get into that let's talk about Tekken 8 as a game. When you think of a 3D fighting game series, chances are your brain goes to Tekken. Sure, there are some other great series that utilize the third dimension (Virtua Fighter, Dead or Alive, Soul Calibur), but in recent times it truly feels like Tekken has become the king of 3D fighters. And why wouldn't it be? Its presentation isn't as simple as VF, and the monetization isn't as insane as DoA. Plus the series' timeskip was much more successful than Soul Calibur's was, adding characters to the series that would become iconic to the series.

Speaking of characters, this roster is incredible. Towards the end of my platinum adventure I played a few rounds with a friend, and she and I agreed that everyone in this game feels awesome to play as. A couple of returning characters feel like they have a glowup from their Tekken 7 days (we both felt like Shaheen and Nina were especially improved), while the three new characters are definite winners. I feel like Reina is already a hit especially, while I can also see Victor becoming quite popular with players. As for Azucena... I predict her becoming an absolute monster once people really figure out her full potential.

https://i.imgur.com/NKam59U.jpeg

She's so cool, I hope she beats the everliving fuck out of me.

The presentation of this game is particularly impressive, with graphics that say "welcome to the next generation." I think we all knew Tekken 8 was going to look amazing when that reveal trailer made its appearance, and while I don't think the game is quite on the level of the reveal trailer I'd say it's a joy to look at. I have some random matches playing on my tv as I type this, and Leo and Dragunov's coats are flowing in the wind in just the way you'd expect them to. It definitely helps that the stages are a marvel to look at: whether it's on a yacht that's sailing on the River Seine, atop a mountain in Peru as alpacas walk by, or even on a fallen comet as two tornadoes rage on in the sea, you're sure to be drenched in the atmosphere of your fight.

Now I'm sure that last stage might raise an eyebrow or two if you aren't familiar with the batshit insane story that is Tekken. If we put this into the most basic of basics, a bunch of fathers and sons HATE each other with every fiber of their beings, a few of these men have this gene called the Devil Gene in them, this makes them super strong, and the story follows these men as their family feud gets crazier and crazier. Throwing children off of cliffs, companies getting taken over on a whim, World Word III... All of these and more can be found in the craziness that is the Tekken storyline, and the eighth game serves as the end to an arc that has been in progress since the first game all the way back in 1994. I really want to talk about a few things that happen at the end of the story mode, so if you click the spoilers tag be sure to do it with caution!

Spoilers ahead!

Reveal hidden contents

I couldn't believe the amount of callbacks this story mode had. Tekken Force section out of nowhere! Reina being so obviously the daughter of Heichachi! What the fuck happened to Zafina and Claudio? Azazel is here??? There's just so much in here that I'm sure made fans happy, but I KNOW that final boss got people grinning from ear to ear, and I only got into Tekken in the late 2000s! After a long battle, Jin and Kazuya lose the power of the Devil Gene, and honestly this fight might be one of the highlights of the series for me. Jin switching to Mishima style and the remix of his theme from T3 playing hyped me the fuck up more than I expected it to, and it was just as cool when Jin started using Kazama moves and the T2 remix started.

I don't think I really grasped how much I cared about these characters until this match, because when the main theme started during the final round I felt weirdly emotional? Like sure, it's Tekken, it's a fighting game and it's inherently a stupid story. But I don't think I really grasped how long the series has been a part of my life. It's my favorite fighting game series, and while I'm not good at the genre I still play quite a few of them. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you spend as long as I have with a group of characters, you sort of just want good things for them? Yes, even if they're absolute piece of shit human beings. And seeing that this whole feud bullshit might finally have some sort of ending was cathartic. I am seeing some people say this might be the best story mode in a fighting game ever, and I want to say I agree, at least based on the games I've played. I know, I know, I've played the story of a couple of NRS games and they're the most popular story mode creators in fighting games. But let's be honest, I didn't start my fighting game journey with Liu Kang and Scorpion.

I started it when I was in high school, at a friend's house, and I played Tekken 6. I saw Alisa, I thought she was cute, and I mashed my way to victory. Jin Kazama was sort of the first main bad guy of my fighting game journey, so he was part of the start of it all for me. To finally be at some sort of conclusion for him was nice to see, and I genuinely can't even imagine how fans from 1994 feel about this story.

There's other modes we could talk about, we could mention how amazing this soundtrack is, we could ponder on how cool customization is or how aggressive you can be with the new Heat system. Hell, we could even mention how happy some people must be to see Tekken Ball, of all things, make a return! But I think this review has said all I need to say about Tekken 8. Once upon a time I thought fighting games weren't for everyone. But as a person who spent a lot of her life in RPGs, the genre that might be the exact opposite of fighting games, I can tell you with certainty that they absolutely are. You just need to find the one that's right for you, and Tekken 8 is the one for me.

https://i.imgur.com/VCZsgdP.png

"Chikara dake ga subete janai."

Amazing game by the reviews, its great it came out in a time no other fighting game was at the radar, and it just looks outstanding, i love that the move charts of many characters is a huge puzzle for the hardcore players, but its simple, no "add perks or extra stuff", and thats ok. Its a superb work Namco does to achieve the 8th game in a long franchise.

• Like 1