Shaking It Up

MissShake

20 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Eyy you know what, I will cheat and actually load up your profile list as well, to dig up long forgotten history xD 

That being said, order of picks would be the following:

• Guacamelee! - an amazing Metroidvania that was epic from start to finish. That sweet sweet gameplay!Weirdly enough that would be my first pick!
  • Transistor - because it's 1f44c.png1f44c.png1f44c.png1f44c.png1f44c.png1f44c.png1f44c.png1f44c.png1f44c.png1f44c.png1f44c.png1f44c.png1f44c.png1f44c.png1f44c.png1f44c.png1f44c.png1f44c.png1f44c.png
  • KoF98 - because that you can complete in a lazy afternoon why is that still there???
  • Jump Force - The sooner you are done with that nightmare the better
  • Shadow of the Colossus - ....I just want to trash talk the game 1f602.png
  • Tony Hawk Pro Skater HD Collection - For good music
  • Blazblue Chronophantasma Extend - COMBOS!

That's what I would pick for starters, to get in the "cleanup" mood :> after that you can fire up Yakuza 0 xD 

Hell yeah, I love the variety you gave me! (Ofc with an emphasis on the fighting games lmao.) I'll get the picker wheel ready :D

• Like 3

I’m gonna be the nice guy, who only recommends one, genuinely good, chill game:

Broken Age

…but with an added caveat!

Should you go back to it, you first must treat yourself to watching all of the fantastic documentary series “Doublefine Adventure” following the whole process from Kickstarter to release of the game….(all episodes are free on Youtube,) …

…it is almost assuredly the best insight into the game development process for smaller studios I’ve ever seen,

and is super funny, and watchable and at time oddly exciting…,

AND gives you a really deep affection for the game!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

Damn, I have some great variety here! Looks like the picker wheel is gonna be more full than I expected :D

EDIT: I've span the wheel and we have two games that are coming up! You guys will just have to wait and see what they are ;)

Edited by MissShake
  • Like 2

:platinum: #107: Hogwarts Legacy :platinum:

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/23e7bf/trophies/1Lb2aa3d.png

Trophy Triumph
Obtain all other trophies

Guess I'm on a bit of a nostalgia kick, huh? First Sly 2, now a Harry Potter game. I, like many people on the internet, grew up with the Harry Potter books, so I was anxiously waiting for this game ever since its leak all those years ago. However, as much as I did enjoy my time with this, I'm glad I bought it used. (This was more because I don't like JK Rowling, but still.) This plat ended up being a fucking nightmare, and it reminded me why I tend to get so burned out when I go for a plat in an open world game.

There's a lot of good in this game, make no mistake. I like the fact that it doesn't revolve around Harry and his time at Hogwarts for once, we've played that storyline and we've seen those characters enough. Instead Hogwarts Legacy takes place a hundred years prior to the events of the books, in the late eighteenth century. You play as a new arrival, a late admittance who seems to have a strong connection to a long forgotten form of ancient magic. I have a couple of questions. Why am I being admitted as a fifth year? When you first find out about your connection to ancient magic your mentor seems to be shocked, so I assume no one knew about your special powers. Also, what is my character's bloodline? Am I pureblood, muggleborn, halfblood? Where did I come from? A lot is left up to interpretation about your player character, and while I understand this allows for roleplaying it also just makes the main character quite bland. You're quick to pick up on pretty much any assignment thrown at you immediately, I honestly can only think of one quest line that shows any flaws with the main character. Quite simply, it's boring, and it honestly doesn't help that the voice actress for the female main character is so monotone. In such an interesting world, your main character stands out for very wrong reasons.

This of course means that the supporting cast does a lot of heavy lifting, but even then not everyone is fascinating. Like the main villain? Ranrok? Well he sucks. Nothing about his plot is engaging, the game frames it as Ranrok being responsible for a goblin uprising, but like... Why this guy? There's absolutely nothing about him that makes me think "oh yeah I could see people being insanely loyal to him!" And the secondary villain? Rookwood? He also sucks. He's just evil for the fuck of it. Cool, I guess! But the meh characters aren't just villains... I don't know how popular this character is, but I gotta get this off my chest: I don't care about Professor Fig. He doesn't really do much except send you on fetch quests and not teach any classes whatsoever. When anything bad happened related to him, I honestly just felt nothing. And he's supposed to be your mentor!

Luckily, the characters that you actually spend a lot of time with aren't half bad. The three characters that are tied to trophies are interesting and fun to interact with, and in many cases they expand the Wizarding World in their own right. Like Natsai Onai is a Gryffindor who transferred from a school in Uganda, so you get to learn more about a school that isn't Hogwarts if you want to. There's also Poppy Sweeting, a Hufflepuff who loves animals, so much of her quest line showcases more magical creatures that you won't see in class. And finally, there's Sebastian Sallow, a Slytherin who is desperate to cure his sister from what looks to be a permanent curse. I'd say that his quest line is the standout of the game, with moral choices that did make me consider pros and cons more than any moment in the game. Of course you do get more time with other students of Hogwarts, and they were all likeable except Imelda (fuck Imelda), but for my money I'd say one of the most interesting characters was actually Sebastian's best friend Ominis Gaunt. That last name might be familiar to you if you've read the books: it's a powerful family within the Wizarding World, one that tends towards evil, so Ominis sticks out due to his disdain for dark magic. (He's also blind, so he's blessed with not having to look at some of the dumb bullshit you and Sebastian do in this game. And trust me: Sebastian gets you to do some dumb bullshit.)

I love interacting with (some) of these characters, and I'd say that interacting with the world itself was also a mixed bag. The atmosphere of Hogwarts is awesome, but aside from a handful of places outside of the castle (Hogsmede of course) I found myself bored of the open world. The detail of the world is incredible, I love how the seasons change as the story progresses, and the weather effects are truly a sight to behold. That is, they're a sight to behold until the wind blows just a bit too hard and your cape ends up clipping through your body. I'm not a stickler for graphics, I can appreciate a game even if they look like they're from the prehistoric ages, but when you're being forced to walk to Hogsmede four times for the trophy grind and every single time your cape clips in weird ways... Yeah it's gonna take you out of the moment.

But even then, I found myself enjoying a few of the activities presented to you within the Hogwarts valley. I don't know why, but I especially had a lot of fun capturing and breeding magical creatures. (Is that morally questionable? Probably! Don't think about it too much.) These animals range from incredibly cute to morbidly fascinating to outright dangerous, and it felt cool to care for these vastly different animals. I wish there were more of them! You only have thirteen animals that you can take care of, one of which you can't even breed, so it feels a bit like a missed opportunity to fill out the game world and make it feel a bit more alive. The NPCs that you see just wandering around don't exactly do much, it definitely feels like the devs spent most of their time filling the world with various collectibles. That's fine if your goal is to torture trophy hunters and all, but a few more random events would have been more interesting. There's only so many times I can find Peeves torturing a student or a howler going off at some poor kid funny.

"Shake... Did you say collectibles?" Why, yes. Yes I did. And boy do I have a lot to say about those! Merlin's beard, if I have to do one more Merlin trial I will burn Merlin's beard myself! These are small puzzles you find throughout the world, nothing that a five year old wouldn't be able to solve, but the problem comes with the sheer volume of them. Ninety five. Ninety five boring puzzles! Do you see the problem here??? They weren't really engaging the first time, or the fifth time, or the thirtieth time, so why do you need ninety five of these again? Ah yes, right, for the trophy. I love open world collectibles!!!

But the Merlin trials are absolutely nothing compared to the collection items. You need over six hundred for the plat, and while I wouldn't exactly say that any of these are particularly difficult to get it does feel like you're dying inside. Let's see... Revelio pages are pages of lore about the world itself, so I understand the appeal of these. You can also obtain different looks for your character, and I of course get why this is appealing. Wand handles, potion ingredients, gear upgrades... These all make sense, so I wouldn't say it's necessarily the contents that are the problem. I think I might be salty because I had a chest glitch on me. I was flying around on my broom, looking for the last item in my collection, when I saw it: a bandit camp that had an unopened chest. So I flew back there and... The chest was open. I panicked, as one does, and off to Google I went. I had done the hidden chests in the Room of Requirement, so that wouldn't do. I wondered if I'd maybe missed another chest and the item itself was just in one of those, but the tracker on the world map just said the one was missing. Fun fact: there are these chests called butterfly chests, and they require you following a group of butterflies until they reveal a hidden chest in a batch of flowers. For some reason these do NOT count on your chest tracker, so I again flew around looking for an unopened butterfly chest. Lo and behold, there it was, and my trophy popped. Another fun fact: the item in your chest randomizes until you have unlocked every collection item, so the only reason I got this trophy was because the game has extra chests that don't count on your tracker. I can't tell if this is awesome or terrible game design. On one hand, it's cool that you're never locked out of getting everything unless you get remarkably unlucky. On the other hand, maybe chests should just work at all times? I don't know, maybe that's just me.

And even with all of the bitching I just did... I feel satisfied. I kind of want to go back into this world, and I know that's the nostalgia talking. It was amazing to go to classes, to explore Hogwarts, to get sorted (Hufflepuff for life, only cowards hate Hufflepuffs), to make friends with people that can do cool stuff with a stick. When I was eight years old I wanted to be Hermione. As an adult I think realistically I'd probably be more of a Ron, but who cares? I'd still be able to do cool stuff with a stick. Hogwarts Legacy is the closest we are ever going to get to have that kind of magic, and like many games the magic is ruined when you go into it mostly for the plat. Open world games like this always have trophy lists that can hurt the experience, so my best advice to anyone that may want to play it is this: don't bumrush this platinum. Savor the moment. No matter what you do you are always gonna be a muggle, so why not enjoy the magic of being a wizard for just that little bit longer?

I may have to play those Lego Harry Potter games sooner than I'd like to admit.
Edited by MissShake
  • Like 4

Alright alright, now that my Hogwarts Legacy essay has been written, I can get on to…

Cleanup Crew Update!

So the picker wheel has spoken...

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/30514e/L39e2fc.pnghttps://i.psnprofiles.com/games/cefd4f/Lce5d69.png

The first two games for this game will be Guacamelee! and Resident Evil 4 (2005 edition)! These are definitely interesting games to start with. I did a full playthrough of RE4 back in the day, but I never finished Separate Ways and I DEFINITELY never tried the hardest difficulty, so it’ll be fun to compare it to the new remake (that I’m playing very slowly). Guacamelee, though… That one is gonna be a completely different experience since I actually never beat it! I started the game and then just never came back to it a looong time ago. We’ll see how I like it!

I also went ahead and asked my sister to pick a third game from the backlog, one that wasn't already picked for the wheel, and I can't exactly say I'm shocked with her pick:

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/4cfab9/L2f6d41.png

Her favorite game is the original on the DS, so it makes sense that she thinks I should give the sequel a proper run! The soundtrack is already a banger, so I am pretty hyped for this pick :D

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MissShake said:

:platinum: #107: Hogwarts Legacy :platinum:

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/23e7bf/trophies/1Lb2aa3d.png

Congrats for this one! I was also initially interested in this game when I saw the gameplay (it actually looked like a proper Harry Potter game), too bad that it sounds like a generic open world with spells xD 

At least you got selected in the best stoner House out there ?

5 hours ago, MissShake said:

"Shake... Did you say collectibles?" Why, yes. Yes I did. And boy do I have a lot to say about those!
But the Merlin trials are absolutely nothing compared to the collection items. You need over six hundred for the plat

While old Harry Potter games were also notorious for those frog cards collectibles...

SIXHUNDREDCOLLECTIBLES??? 

avatars-D55sGB5xaGiANpHK-0uyUww-t240x240

Congrats for surviving that....

4 hours ago, MissShake said:

Alright alright, now that my Hogwarts Legacy essay has been written, I can get on to…

Cleanup Crew Update!

So the picker wheel has spoken...

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/30514e/L39e2fc.pnghttps://i.psnprofiles.com/games/cefd4f/Lce5d69.png

Hell yeah Guacamelee won! Good pick there, best of luck with Tule Treetop, don't curse me ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Copanele said:

Congrats for this one! I was also initially interested in this game when I saw the gameplay (it actually looked like a proper Harry Potter game), too bad that it sounds like a generic open world with spells xD 

At least you got selected in the best stoner House out there 1f602.png

Honestly? It's not a BAD game really, it's just a horrendous plat! Definitely has some fun storylines, especially the Sebastian stuff, so it's worth it if you can get it for cheap. Not 70 USD worth imo, but still fun :D

Us Hufflepuffs are trying our best, sometime our best requires a bit of weed :P

4 hours ago, Copanele said:

Hell yeah Guacamelee won! Good pick there, best of luck with Tule Treetop, don't curse me 1f602.png

It's already installed on my system and ready to boot up after my work weekend is all done! Very interested in seeing what Tule Treetop is D;

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

:platinum: #108: Beyond Blue :platinum:

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/9719f5/trophies/1L7e2e7a.png

Master of the Sea
Earn all other Trophies

Today is World Ocean Day, at least it is here in the United States, so I figured today would be a good day to go ahead and get a platinum for a game all about the ocean! Beyond Blue is a game published by the same company that brought us Never Alone, but this time you play as Mirai, a deep sea diver with a particular fondness for whales. You can definitely see the similarities between Beyond Blue and Never Alone: from the get-go, both games are clearly meant to teach people about their subjects, and they both even have short videos that teach more about the topic in a more documentary styled way. I was honestly excited for this game because I absolutely love the ocean, so learning more about some of the creatures and aspects under the surface was incredibly appealing to me. Luckily this was going to be the biggest part of this platinum as well, so it felt like killing two birds with one stone.

Your main gameplay feature is all about scanning animals you encounter, revealing more about the animal with each scan you do. After you do tasks such as scanning specific animals or collecting samples, you end up back in your small sub where you take calls and wait to get back in the water. Sure, there's a story in these sections revolving around Mirai's family drama and her colleagues getting in disagreements, but honestly everything revolving around this felt like a distraction. I understand that you need to unlock each map, but I feel like the game could've just cut out these parts and only revolved around the whales and their behaviors and nothing would've been lost. Being in the different maps is really a chilled out experience, so it was always nice to jump back in. The movement of each animal is fluid and realistic, but they aren't exactly groundbreaking. It's cool to swim up to a group of fish and see them sort of spread out to get away, but if you get in the way of a whale they never stray from their path. On top of that this game has no fail state, which I suppose makes sense for the relaxing experience Beyond Blue is going for, but it's not exactly realistic for me to swim up into a predator's personal space and not deal with any consequences. I feel like if you're looking to really interact with the ocean's creatures you're probably better off with a game like Abzu (at least from what I remember, it's been a while).

That being said, this game is definitely more of a teaching tool than anything, and in a way your plat adventure is very tied into these teaching tools. You have to scan everything in each map for various trophies, which in turn means you unlock more info about these animals. You can of course never read anything about the animals if you so wish, but it would be taking away from the real point of Beyond Blue to not at least look at animals that you find particularly interesting. Likewise, for trophies you need to watch every video you unlock, but if you really don't care you can just fast forward to a moment close to the end and the trophies will pop. None of these videos are anything longer than three minutes though, so I think there's really no harm in just giving them a watch.

All in all, I think Beyond Blue is interesting. You aren't getting some epic adventure that is going to absolutely break your mind, but I think this game is perfect for relaxing on the couch with a drink in hand and just... Chilling. I especially recommend it if you find the ocean fascinating, I found myself writing this with whale sounds playing on YouTube because it made me wish I knew how to at least scuba dive lol. I am quite interested to see what this developer does next: games are an untapped teaching tool, so it's nice to see a company that is trying to educate players!
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

:platinum: #109: UNDER NIGHT IN-BIRTH Exe:Late[cl-r] :platinum:

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/3f1b55/trophies/1Lb87579.png

Rebirth of a Champion
Unlocked all Trophies for UNDER NIGHT IN-BIRTH Exe:Late[cl-r].

Yup! Did this one again! I don't know what exactly compelled me to try for this platinum again. but who am I to say no to my gut? My plan for this platinum was to try and read the Chronicle Mode in its entirety, but that um... That didn't exactly happen. I don't mind visual novels, all it takes is a glance at this very checklist to tell you that I love them! But this one? Damn, talk about dull. I went a bit into more detail about it in my Evo checklist, if you're curious. Even so, Under Night is such a great time! If you want to play a fighter that has an easy platinum but still has some depth to it, then Under Night is worth it. The game is sleek, the characters are fun to play as, and nothing on this trophy list is incredibly difficult. A perfect starter fighting game!

:platinum: #110: Astro's Playroom :platinum:

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/775921/trophies/1Lc8e66a.png

You've Only Done Everything
Found all trophies in ASTRO's PLAYROOM. See you in our next adventure!

I, like a lot of people on this site, grew up with Playstation consoles. I've been on this train since the PS1 era and I only skipped the PS3 generation, so I'd say I'm a bit of a Playstation loyalist. Astro's Playroom is not only a solid tech demo and a fun platformer, but it's also made for people like me: those of us that laugh like crazy when they remember the Eye Toy and the fact that you basically needed a boomerang to play with more than two people on one console in the PS1 days. This gem is full of references to every hardware that Playstation made (I think there's even a Vita is life joke in there somewhere), plus the cute little robots act out all sorts of scenes from games tied to Playstation. Trying to place all the references became a bit of a game in a game, with my favorite one obviously being a nod to Tekken.

https://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki/apis.ign.com/astros-playroom/5/5c/Bloodborne.png?width=960
Finally, Bloodborne 2.

It's a bit difficult to talk about this game on any meaningful level because it's quite obvious that this was meant to be all about the new PS5 controller and what it's capable of. I think I lost a bit of that magic since this wasn't the first game I played on the PS5, I already knew about the triggers and the speakers in the controller. (My dad was particularly interested in the speakers: he was watching me play RE4 and thought it was so cool that Hunnigan was calling from the controller lol.) Even so, I really think this game is a bit of a must for anyone with a PS5. It's such a fun game and it's full of love for Playstation. This is the perfect game to play when you want something short but fun, like a filler plat that actually takes a bit of effort.
  • Like 3

Big congrats! As a cat lover (I simply adore the little spawns of Satan), it was really awesome to see another opinion about this game from someone who ain't as easily charmed xD 

17 minutes ago, MissShake said:

What I'm about to say is probably gonna make me look like a conceited nonce, but when everyone was excited for this last year my first thought was "is there anything else to the game besides playing as a cat?" I mean... There's some stuff? I guess? After finishing this game I've come to the conclusion that I'm really not going to feel anything more about this game after I finish writing this post.

Honestly, I think it would have been better if you only screwed around as a cat. My main criticism of the game was the moment when you suddenly solved puzzles like a human would, not like a cat would.

And....yeah, the whole trick was "you play as a cat". Nothing else xD it either stuck or it didn't.

What cracks me up though, while I loved the game....I really felt nothing else after finishing that game. Think I went on another rant about Assassin's Creed Valhalla or some stupid thing.

Which really makes me go "huh...it really wasn't that memorable"

17 minutes ago, MissShake said:
I'll admit that I am not the biggest cat person, so maybe I came in at a bit of a disadvantage. Don't get me wrong, I like cats, my family owned cats my entire life. My sister has a little devil of a cat with a bum back leg that I'll admit is pretty cute. But as I've grown up I just haven't been as attached to cats as others are. Having said that, I think Stray is at its best when you are just... Being a cat. A few puzzles rely on the player thinking like a cat, and it's refreshing to navigate areas with your cat's size and abilities in mind. It takes a bit of adjusting to remind yourself that you aren't a human, so that small hole over there? Yeah, you can fit. Doing fun cat things like walking all over keyboards and knocking paint over are really highlights since we all know how little fucks cats give. This is where Stray shines.

I think level 4 was my favorite level because it really highlighted how a cat should be: You meow, you fit through tight spaces, you enter a room just to exit and frustrate the robots...that's the true cat behavior.

Unfortunately this does ware off a bit too quickly, and the game devolves into just another indie styled puzzle platformer. What I haven't mentioned is that Stray is ultimately a game about robots in a cyberpunk world who are trying to return to the earth's surface after being confined underground by a plague. Your cat's drone buddy, B-12, is where the real story takes place, with most of the revelations about this universe revolving around him regaining his memories of what happened to the world. Not only this, but every ability your cat gets is because of B-12 and his capabilities, so the feeling of being a cat and really having to put yourself in that mindset gets lost because if him. Early on in the game there are these parasites that chase your cat around, and you're forced to run from them. You can shake them off of you by (I'm assuming) biting them, but other than that you can't do much. But at one point in the game, B-12 gets this heat lamp that can be used to explode them. See, here's what I don't get: cats scratch at things. They'll even scratch their owners for no good reason. Why is it that I can scratch specific carpets and trees and stuff, but I can't scratch to defend myself? Like I'm not saying this has to be overpowered, I'm not even saying that you really have to get rid of the heat lamp thing. It just feels weird because such a huge huge HUGE part of this game's marketing was the ability to play as a cat! In truth you're playing as a cat and a robot at the same time, and it just isn't all that unique in the vast world of indies that are out there.

That's a....valid point actually. I couldn't scratch anything other than pre-determined scratch posts and mattresses ?

As a trophy hunting experience, though, I'd say this game is actually pretty solid. Lots of variety in the trophy list. There are collectibles (they aren't so bad), trophies tied to doing specific cat-centric actions, and a speedrun trophy. Nothing in here is particularly difficult, not even the speedrun. I actually died a couple of times while going for that and I still managed to make it under the time limit handily. This is a pretty simple platinum experience, probably a good filler plat if you're in need of some..

I actually have to recommend this thread to you ? the amount of people malding over that  "don't get eaten by headcrabs" trophy gives Super Meat Boy a run for its money.

But I'd do it while it's free, because honestly I wouldn't pay anything more than like ten bucks for this game. It's fine. That's it, really. It's just fine. There are better indies out there that you could experience instead. Guess I sound like a dog person..

And I think this is the part that got me. I loved the game way a lot, but in the end I reached the same conclusion xD fun little thing, get it at a discount.

Or...Play Cat Quest :> 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Copanele said:

I actually have to recommend this thread to you 1f602.png the amount of people malding over that  "don't get eaten by headcrabs" trophy gives Super Meat Boy a run for its money.

Oh yeah, I actually totally forgot about this part! I had trouble too lmaooooo. I think I did this one section for like thirty minutes, felt so satisfied after it was done! But yeah, it's not SMB level :P

3 minutes ago, Copanele said:

And I think this is the part that got me. I loved the game way a lot, but in the end I reached the same conclusion xD fun little thing, get it at a discount.

Or...Play Cat Quest :> 

I'm considering it, actually. Game looks a little more up my alley than Stray was, really :D

• Like 2

:platinum: #112: Stranded Deep :platinum:

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/5eb1b0/trophies/1L375034.png

Stay Alive!
Collected all trophies

I have nothing to say. I am simply a gremlin of chaos and I love dumpster fires. I will laugh at this day for years to come.

4OdYun7.gif

My PS5 worked so hard to get me in the fastest plat leaderboard ?

https://i.imgur.com/9qGJwW4.png
  • Like 3

On 7/10/2023 at 7:55 AM, MissShake said:

:platinum: #112: Stranded Deep :platinum:

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/5eb1b0/trophies/1L375034.png

Stay Alive!
Collected all trophies

I have nothing to say. I am simply a gremlin of chaos and I love dumpster fires. I will laugh at this day for years to come.

4OdYun7.gif

My PS5 worked so hard to get me in the fastest plat leaderboard 1f622.png

https://i.imgur.com/9qGJwW4.png

Becoming a part of PSNP history is always worth it????one of the rare moments that truly united the community.

• Like 1

On 12/05/2023 at 10:09 AM, MissShake said:

:platinum: #105: I Was A Teenage Exocolonist :platinum:

I had never heard of this and now I have it sounds bloody tremendous from your write up, many thanks - I have added it high up on the backlog!

Please add sleeping dogs to your pinwheel, please please. Even if you aren't doing the pinwheel any more.

Also guacamelee was a worthy winner of the first spin of skill/fortune and other people mentioned it but Yakuza 0 is incredible (and a fun platinum journey too).

Edited by Aceterix
I saw the pinwheel post later
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Copanele said:

Becoming a part of PSNP history is always worth it1f602.png1f602.png1f602.png1f602.pngone of the rare moments that truly united the community.

I mean... PSNP was all here but idk if they were united. It was a mess LMAO

11 hours ago, Aceterix said:

I had never heard of this and now I have it sounds bloody tremendous from your write up, many thanks - I have added it high up on the backlog!

Please add sleeping dogs to your pinwheel, please please. Even if you aren't doing the pinwheel any more.

Also guacamelee was a worthy winner of the first spin of skill/fortune and other people mentioned it but Yakuza 0 is incredible (and a fun platinum journey too).

I'm so glad you liked the write up! Exocolonist is such a fun and interesting game and I am so glad it influenced you to give it a try! :D

I can add Sleeping Dogs to the wheel, sure! It's a game I was already thinking about revisiting so that kind of works out! And yeah, Yakuza was fun from the bit I played so it'll be interesting to give it another whirl :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Gaming for the Animals Plat #3

:platinum: #114: Endling: Extinction is Forever :platinum:

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/b2bc05/trophies/1Lb19a57.png

Endling
Unlock every other trophy in the game.

Forgive me for the absence! Ever since Rashid dropped in Street Fighter 6, I have been pulled back into World Tour mode and have been going ham trying to master every fighting style in the mode. (Now if THIS had a trophy tied to it I bet the game would be at a low 100%... Even though it's at zero because tournaments are borked lol.) I did, finally, get a bit bored of this and found motivation to start up Endling. (Which also took a while, I got so sick that I couldn't stay awake longer than three or four hours lolol.) Of course this game fit perfectly with Gaming for the Animals, so I absolutely had to make it my last game for the event! But would I recommend it overall?

The basic idea is a fairly interesting one. You take on the role of a mother fox, and very early on one of your (really adorable) cubs gets kidnapped by the worst evil one can imagine... Humans! It's up to you to not only track down your lost baby, but take care of three other babies. This means finding new shelter when necessary, making sure your cubs are fed, teaching them means of survival, protecting them from predators... Needless to say your plate is gonna be pretty full. When I think back on this game, one word comes to mind: stressful. Since foxes are nocturnal animals, you have to work during the night, and the game is VERY ADAMANT that you need to get back to your lair before the day starts. This is all fine and good, but holy shit the nights are way too short. I'd feel like I got maybe two food items for the cubs before I'd get the dreaded notification that the sun is coming out, then I'd be rushing back to the lair, then I'd hear the BAAA NAAA of the guitar that comes with the arrival of the furrier, then I'd panic and run right into him and my mamma fox would be injured and I would be limping to the lair and... Then on my second playthrough I was out in the daylight and what happened? Would you be shocked if I said nothing? Yup, I just walked right back to the lair and moved on to the next day.

That's not to say that all of my thoughts on the time management are null and void. Unless you're religiously following a guide it almost feels smarter to have maybe one or two tasks in mind for each night since enemies seem to patrol pretty relentlessly the closer you get to daylight. The game sort of silently dictates what days you'll use for what, since on specific days you'll catch a "scent" of your lost cub, and you just have to follow the smell to each clue. I'd be fine with this, but navigation in this game is an absolute mess, so once that scent is gone you're on your own. I may have accidentally run into the furrier more times than I'd like to admit, but quite frankly I only accept part of the blame because of just how shit the navigation is. You always see the side of your fox, never an over the shoulder view and never its cute face head-on, but your map doesn't work like this. Sometimes you'll jump to a higher ledge that should theoretically make the fox walk away from the player, but then the camera will quickly snap so that it's back to a more 2D look. This absolutely fucked my sense of place more than once, so I'll think I'm heading back to the nearest lair, but I'll actually be going the opposite direction? The map honestly feels so massive even though it really isn't, and that's definitely due to how confusing this game's navigation is.

And of course, to add on to the stress of getting from point a to point b, you have your children to take care of... Which I really didn't find that bad. I found that you can run pretty far ahead of the cubs without them losing track of you, so they aren't a hindrance in that respect. But for the platinum you need to make sure all of your cubs survive, and if one of the cubs dies the game continues on regardless. This was also never a huge factor when I played, mostly because I saw a guide that showed a trick for helping slow down the rate of hunger for the cubs. The fact that your cubs learn how to do things like dig and climb means they can help you out, so this particular escort mission doesn't feel quite as deflating as others might. It's quite easy to get attached to the cubs, they're just so cute no matter what colors you pick. So I mean... At least there's that.

I haven't been quiet about wanting games to be used as a teaching tool more often, and in a way I feel like this is the angle Endling should take when advertising itself since it really is great at making you struggle like an endangered animal. Endling is not a fun game to play, it is meant to simulate the amount of work that goes into the life of an animal that is fighting for all they have. This is a feel bad game, as should be expected with a title that has EXTINCTION IS FOREVER in it, and my lord does it feel like the devs are bludgeoning you with this idea. Nothing good ever happens in this game, not in the gameplay, not in the story, and if you are a Negative Nancy like me I can pretty much guarantee you'll guess how this game ends. If you want to actively feel stress you could play this. If you hate humans and just want more of a reason to, you could play this.

...At least the graphics are nice?
Edited by MissShake
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...