Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

207 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

5 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I'm playing more and more in handheld mode, started out at only docked mode for the first few days but I took it with me on the tram when I went to the cinema a few days ago just for the hell of it. Been using it in the evening for an hour or so in handheld ever since, yesterday I almost exclusively played in handheld mode.

Blaster Master Zero might be a fun game for me but I'm not paying that much for it.

Cool stuff, thanks for the recommendation. I might just buy it for when we go on holiday with others.

Yeah it is pretty much the first handheld with all the available buttons as a home console so you're not losing anything going to portable mode and more convenient aswell, makes me wish I could remote play my PS4 games on Switch instead of my Vita lol

6 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Blaster Master Zero might be a fun game for me but I'm not paying that much for it.

Cool stuff, thanks for the recommendation. I might just buy it for when we go on holiday with others.

I'm not sure what it costs in your market, but in the US it's $10. That seems like a good value, especially compared to $50 for Super Bomberman R. $10 is consistent with eShop pricing on the 3DS and Wii U, where retro-style new games are usually $8-15. 

6 hours ago, blazeaire said:

I just got the Hori playstand today and wow it's really good, non withstanding the fact you can charge with it too, waay more stable then the kickstand with adjustable angles and can even rest on my lap or stomach laying in bed playing, highly recommended if you play off TV often

Sounds good, I'll check it out. 

I did want to ask my fellow Switch owners if anyone has found a good portable charging solution yet. I've read an article or two online about charging on the go, but they mention that it can't be done while gaming. I'd prefer to find a solution that could charge while gaming, but if not I'll settle for a power bank that's large enough to charge from standby. Has anybody experimented with this yet? 

Edited by MosesRockefeller

42 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I'm not sure what it costs in your market, but in the US it's $10. That seems like a good value, especially compared to $50 for Super Bomberman R. $10 is consistent with eShop pricing on the 3DS and Wii U, where retro-style new games are usually $8-15. 

Is it actually a new game? Thought it was just a quick remake of an old game...

16 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Is it actually a new game? Thought it was just a quick remake of an old game...

Not sure how "quick" it is, I had the impression it was along the lines of Metroid Zero Mission being a remake of Metroid 1. Either way, $10 could well be what Nintendo charges for NES games on the VC, we don't know yet. 

I've played it a bit and it's pretty good so far. I never played the original though. 

9 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Not sure how "quick" it is, I had the impression it was along the lines of Metroid Zero Mission being a remake of Metroid 1. Either way, $10 could well be what Nintendo charges for NES games on the VC, we don't know yet. 

I've played it a bit and it's pretty good so far. I never played the original though. 

To my recollection, NES/SNES was like €5 and N64 was €10, though I could be mistaken. Bigger point is though that those NEOGEO games are only €7 or so, what makes this one more special?

Well, if you think it's worth it that's all that matters, I guess. I used to re-do those "Super Mario Advance" ports/remasters but I have little patience for titles like these now unless they're really cheap.

I'm hoping on some form of VC announcement before paid online hits. My guess is that Zelda ports would lessen BOTW sales, like having Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart 64 would lessen Mario Kart 8 Deluxe sales. Hope we'll have some cool titles by the end of the year though, having some stuff for my summer holiday would be awesome, probably only going to play VC ports in handheld mode anyway.

44 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

To my recollection, NES/SNES was like €5 and N64 was €10, though I could be mistaken. Bigger point is though that those NEOGEO games are only €7 or so, what makes this one more special?

Well, if you think it's worth it that's all that matters, I guess. I used to re-do those "Super Mario Advance" ports/remasters but I have little patience for titles like these now unless they're really cheap.

I'm hoping on some form of VC announcement before paid online hits. My guess is that Zelda ports would lessen BOTW sales, like having Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart 64 would lessen Mario Kart 8 Deluxe sales. Hope we'll have some cool titles by the end of the year though, having some stuff for my summer holiday would be awesome, probably only going to play VC ports in handheld mode anyway.

I think the perfect timing for the VC is the lull between major releases in the mid-summer to mid-fall. That way people will have stuff to play inbetween splatoon 2 and mario odyssey.

Also blaster master zero is an entirely new game

2 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

I think the perfect timing for the VC is the lull between major releases in the mid-summer to mid-fall. That way people will have stuff to play inbetween splatoon 2 and mario odyssey.

I surely hope that a bunch of stuff will have been released by May/June, it would be great to play some classics outside in the summer evenings, especially when we're on holidays.

1 hour ago, MosesRockefeller said:

2 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Also blaster master zero is an entirely new game

I checked and it's a remake of Blaster Master fr the NES. I don't know how much content is new though.

Looking back I may have been a bit harsh in my initial dismissive attitude towards the game. I guess this is just meant to be played in handheld mode, not while docked. I've got enough on Zelda for now but I might buy it in a month or two to play during the summer holidays, depending on how much VC stuff we have by then.

1 minute ago, BillyHorrible said:

I surely hope that a bunch of stuff will have been released by May/June, it would be great to play some classics outside in the summer evenings, especially when we're on holidays.

I checked and it's a remake of Blaster Master fr the NES. I don't know how much content is new though.

Looking back I may have been a bit harsh in my initial dismissive attitude towards the game. I guess this is just meant to be played in handheld mode, not while docked. I've got enough on Zelda for now but I might buy it in a month or two to play during the summer holidays, depending on how much VC stuff we have by then.

I read that it was a reboot, but either way it's not a bad price point. I just hope the rumored gamecube titles don't cost too much, I can't really justify spending more than 15 dollars on them when the ps2 classics cost from 9.99 to 14.99

12 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

I read that it was a reboot, but either way it's not a bad price point. I just hope the rumored gamecube titles don't cost too much, I can't really justify spending more than 15 dollars on them when the ps2 classics cost from 9.99 to 14.99

I think €10 for a NES remaster is a bit much seeing as NES ports cost €5 and I don't see a huge difference yet except for graphics being crisper.

Even if they keep (S)NES on €5 and N64 on €10, that would realistically mean €15 for GC titles. I could live with a price like that but I'm hoping on the N64 titles going down a bit for the Switch to €5-€7,50.

I just checked and it seems NES titles are €5 while SNES titles are €8 and N64/DS titles are €10. I think NES at €3, SNES at €5 and N64 at €8 is much better, I would put GC at €10-€15 tops.

If the prices are too high then I can stand waiting on a sale. I saw them having a "30% off on all Zelda games" sale about a month ago, something like that could be done for the Switch as well. I wouldn't mind getting all older Zelda games at once on a cartridge for a full retail price either.

Edited by BillyHorrible

5 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I think €10 for a NES remaster is a bit much seeing as NES ports cost €5 and I don't see a huge difference yet except for graphics being crisper.

Even if they keep (S)NES on €5 and N64 on €10, that would realistically mean €15 for GC titles. I could live with a price like that but I'm hoping on the N64 titles going down a bit for the Switch to €5-€7,50.

I just checked and it seems NES titles are €5 while SNES titles are €8 and N64/DS titles are €10. I think NES at €3, SNES at €5 and N64 at €8 is much better, I would put GC at €10-€15 tops.

If the prices are too high then I can stand waiting on a sale. I saw them having a "30% off on all Zelda games" sale about a month ago, something like that could be done for the Switch as well. I wouldn't mind getting all older Zelda games at once on a cartridge for a full retail price either.

Yeah and they're currently having a mario sale on the eshop at the moment, kept seeing the wii u screen light up about it

News on the Switch: apparently there are 1.5 million units sold already. Seems like that target of 2M by the end of the month could be reached.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-03-14-nintendo-switch-has-sold-1-5m-worldwide-superdata

So, strong start. Now they need to get everything in motion and provide a steady supply of games, if they don't want a second Wii U or 3DS debacle. I think that getting a continuous stream of VC games as well as pushing for some big new content soon should do the trick, like Yooka-Layalee - it will be out for PS4 and X1 in four weeks but it's such a retro N64 style game that many people would get it for the Switch if it's out soon enough. I know I would.

59 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Interesting, so the USD prices are the same as Euro prices. Anyway, on the Wii U, Wii  games are $20. I agree that a price drop across the board would make sense, but I'm not holding my breath. Nintendo has bumped their standard retail price for Switch up to $60 from $50 on the Wii U, and I wonder if the VC pricing will go up as well. I'm thinking GC games will be $15 or $20, but I'd love to be wrong. 

That being said, the prices make sense for some games. $20 for the Metroid Prime Trilogy is a good value. Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 were also reasonable at that price for me since that's how much the disc versions cost now. 

25 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

News on the Switch: apparently there are 1.5 million units sold already. Seems like that target of 2M by the end of the month could be reached.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-03-14-nintendo-switch-has-sold-1-5m-worldwide-superdata

So, strong start. Now they need to get everything in motion and provide a steady supply of games, if they don't want a second Wii U or 3DS debacle. I think that getting a continuous stream of VC games as well as pushing for some big new content soon should do the trick, like Yooka-Layalee - it will be out for PS4 and X1 in four weeks but it's such a retro N64 style game that many people would get it for the Switch if it's out soon enough. I know I would.

Good news. I think one thing that Nintendo needs to do on the new content front, is ensure that multiplatform games come out simultaneously (or go for timed exclusives like they're already doing with some indies). I realize that Yooka-Laylee is a crowdfunded game and the Switch version was added later on after canceling the Wii U version, but in my opinion Nintendo should have approached them early and said "what do we need to do to get this on Switch day 1?" The Switch needs more games and this delayed release makes it more likely that people will pick it up on PS4 or X1. 

Another misstep in my opinion is using higher cartridge costs (versus optical discs) to justify games costing more on Switch vs PS4/X1. That may be 100% correct, but gamers don't care... they care that the game costs more. Multiplatform games should either cost the same, or Nintendo needs to work with developers to have something extra in the Switch version (beyond taking full advantage of the 3 gameplay modes). I think this is going to hurt them if something isn't done to address it. 

To end things on a positive note, these are pretty awesome! 

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/03/protect_your_nintendo_switchs_screen_with_these_fetching_dock_covers

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Interesting, so the USD prices are the same as Euro prices. Anyway, on the Wii U, Wii  games are $20. I agree that a price drop across the board would make sense, but I'm not holding my breath. Nintendo has bumped their standard retail price for Switch up to $60 from $50 on the Wii U, and I wonder if the VC pricing will go up as well. I'm thinking GC games will be $15 or $20, but I'd love to be wrong. 

That being said, the prices make sense for some games. $20 for the Metroid Prime Trilogy is a good value. Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 were also reasonable at that price for me since that's how much the disc versions cost now. 

Good news. I think one thing that Nintendo needs to do on the new content front, is ensure that multiplatform games come out simultaneously (or go for timed exclusives like they're already doing with some indies). I realize that Yooka-Laylee is a crowdfunded game and the Switch version was added later on after canceling the Wii U version, but in my opinion Nintendo should have approached them early and said "what do we need to do to get this on Switch day 1?" The Switch needs more games and this delayed release makes it more likely that people will pick it up on PS4 or X1. 

Another misstep in my opinion is using higher cartridge costs (versus optical discs) to justify games costing more on Switch vs PS4/X1. That may be 100% correct, but gamers don't care... they care that the game costs more. Multiplatform games should either cost the same, or Nintendo needs to work with developers to have something extra in the Switch version (beyond taking full advantage of the 3 gameplay modes). I think this is going to hurt them if something isn't done to address it. 

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/03/protect_your_nintendo_switchs_screen_with_these_fetching_dock_covers

Not sure where you live, but Wii U games cost 60 USD new, now the regular wii titles were 50 retail

3 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

4 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Not sure where you live, but Wii U games cost 60 USD new, now the regular wii titles were 50 retail

Yeah over here BOTW costs as much on Wii U as it does on the Switch, and Mario Kart 8 costs 60 just like it will cost on the Switch next month, I see other games for €60 as well. Don't know about older titles because I never paid any attention but the price seems to have been the same.

It all depends on the game, I guess. I'd pay €20 for the Metroid Prime Trilogy on the Switch but I wouldn't pay as much for New Super Mario Bros. or for Super Paper Mario.

Come to think of it, if the VC takes off then I have some difficult decisions to make - will I buy stuff I have on the SNES for the Switch and sell the cartridges? Amongst others, I have all three Donkey Kong Country titles and Super Castlevania IV, these go for much more than €8... The Donkey Kongs easily go for triple the VC price and CastleVania IV goes for five times that price without question, perhaps more. I should note that I've paid much less for these games myself because I bought SNES games in bulk last year and sold all titles I had no interest in separately, meaning that in the end I only paid about €2-€3 for these titles (I calculated everything through an Excel sheet and distributed the remaining money over games I kept with weighted values, I'm weird that way).

Nice, but I'm not one for digital purchases, I prefer to go to a store, there's only a handful of online stores I trust and all but one of those accept payment after delivery at no extra cost.

11 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Agreed. All things considered for third party games (unless there is some sort of Switch extra) I will typically go with the cheaper option.

The dock covers look sharp. 

37 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Whoops, not sure where I got that "fake news" from. I must have bought some price-reduced Wii U games and thought that was the standard pricing. I stand corrected. 

My point still stands though about the cartridge costs being used to justify the high price of Super Bomberman R, and I doubt that's the last we'll see of it. Point being, I don't think we're going to see VC games cheaper on Switch. They'll either be the same or more expensive than Wii U.

There, I have made my prediction. Feel free to rub this in my face if I end up being wrong... I would love to be wrong here. :)

32 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Come to think of it, if the VC takes off then I have some difficult decisions to make - will I buy stuff I have on the SNES for the Switch and sell the cartridges? Amongst others, I have all three Donkey Kong Country titles and Super Castlevania IV, these go for much more than €8... The Donkey Kongs easily go for triple the VC price and CastleVania IV goes for five times that price without question, perhaps more. I should note that I've paid much less for these games myself because I bought SNES games in bulk last year and sold all titles I had no interest in separately, meaning that in the end I only paid about €2-€3 for these titles (I calculated everything through an Excel sheet and distributed the remaining money over games I kept with weighted values, I'm weird that way).

I'm one of those weirdos that prefers digital to physical (I usually buy retail games physical though since they're cheaper with programs like Best Buy's Gamers Club Unlocked or Amazon Prime), so take my advice with a grain of salt... but I would sell those SNES games and get Switch versions. If you have them, I would definitely keep any licensed games like TMNT4 though. Those historically do not come to the VC, or they do and get delisted. Donkey Kong Country 1-3 and Castlevania IV should definitely come to the Switch VC though, they were there on the Wii U VC and (I think) even the New 3DS VC. 

2 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Whoops, not sure where I got that "fake news" from. I must have bought some price-reduced Wii U games and thought that was the standard pricing. I stand corrected. 

My point still stands though about the cartridge costs being used to justify the high price of Super Bomberman R, and I doubt that's the last we'll see of it. Point being, I don't think we're going to see VC games cheaper on Switch. They'll either be the same or more expensive than Wii U.

There, I have made my prediction. Feel free to rub this in my face if I end up being wrong... I would love to be wrong here. :)

I'm one of those weirdos that prefers digital to physical (I usually buy retail games physical though since they're cheaper with programs like Best Buy's Gamers Club Unlocked or Amazon Prime), so take my advice with a grain of salt... but I would sell those SNES games and get Switch versions. If you have them, I would definitely keep any licensed games like TMNT4 though. Those historically do not come to the VC, or they do and get delisted. Donkey Kong Country 1-3 and Castlevania IV should definitely come to the Switch VC though, they were there on the Wii U VC and (I think) even the New 3DS VC. 

At least these cartridges are less expensive at launch compared to the 16 bit to 64 bit era where they ranged anywhere from 40 dollars to 120+ new

My point still stands though about the cartridge costs being used to justify the high price of Super Bomberman R, and I doubt that's the last we'll see of it.

That's Konami though. FucKonami.

Well I'm sure as hell not going to sell any of these before I see them on the Switch eShop with my own eyes.

To the best of my knowledge, these are the SNES cartridges I currently have:

Asterix & Obelix

Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble
Earthworm Jim
Jungle Book
Jurassic Park
Jurassic Park 2: The Chaos Continues
The Lion King

Star Fox
Super Castlevania IV
Super Mario All Stars + World

So the ones I mentioned earlier are the only heavy hitters left.

Sold a few SNES titles in preparation for the Switch, biggest of which was A Link To The Past - bought it along with the others in bulk so I just paid a few euros, sold it for €35. Figured if I could get that for it, I'd be able to get it back at some point for at most the same amount, and I had just played through it so I wouldn't be touching it for years anyway. Bought Mario Kart last year from someone for €20 or €25, don't remember, but the game store that also took in my Vita for €93 in credit was willing to give €30 for Mario Kart in credit so that one's gone as well. Put them both together, gave them two GB games and I had exactly enough credit to get Zelda and a joycon bundle without having to pay anything extra.

2 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Well I'm sure as hell not going to sell any of these before I see them on the Switch eShop with my own eyes.

To the best of my knowledge, these are the SNES cartridges I currently have:

Asterix & Obelix

Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble
Earthworm Jim
Jungle Book
Jurassic Park
Jurassic Park 2: The Chaos Continues
The Lion King

Star Fox
Super Castlevania IV
Super Mario All Stars + World

So the ones I mentioned earlier are the only heavy hitters left.

Sold a few SNES titles in preparation for the Switch, biggest of which was A Link To The Past - bought it along with the others in bulk so I just paid a few euros, sold it for €35. Figured if I could get that for it, I'd be able to get it back at some point for at most the same amount, and I had just played through it so I wouldn't be touching it for years anyway. Bought Mario Kart last year from someone for €20 or €25, don't remember, but the game store that also took in my Vita for €93 in credit was willing to give €30 for Mario Kart in credit so that one's gone as well. Put them both together, gave them two GB games and I had exactly enough credit to get Zelda and a joycon bundle without having to pay anything extra.

That SM all stars + world is pretty valuable too, not sure about the pal version though.

17 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

There's nothing wrong with that, but people enjoy actually owning their games physically rather than renting a digital license you could lose over licensing issues or the network going down permanently

10 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

That SM all stars + world is pretty valuable too, not sure about the pal version though.

I guess it is, well over here it should at least be on par with the Donkey Kong Country cartridges (meaning €25 easily but probably not much more). Having those on the go might be fun as well, and truth be told with SNES cartridges these days I'm starting to become a bit nervous about how long their save batteries will last. None have gone down as of yet, but with stuff this old you can never know...

There's nothing wrong with that, but people enjoy actually owning their games physically rather than renting a digital license you could lose over licensing issues or the network going down permanently

Mèh, one of the reasons I opted for a 128GB microSD right away is so I could get everything I wanted without ever having to bother with deleting stuff. I'll go for retail whenever it's an option though, I also like this option because I can sell/trade the game again if I'm done with it. There are a couple of exceptions, like when I could buy Driveclub complete for just a couple of euros. Drop the price low enough and I'll bite.

Edited by BillyHorrible

6 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I guess it is, well over here it should at least be on par with the Donkey Kong Country cartridges (meaning €25 easily but probably not much more). Having those on the go might be fun as well, and truth be told with SNES cartridges these days I'm starting to become a bit nervous about how long their save batteries will last. None have gone down as of yet, but with stuff this old you can never know...

Mèh, one of the reasons I opted for a 128GB microSD right away is so I could get everything I wanted without ever having to bother with deleting stuff. I'll go for retail whenever it's an option though, I also like this option because I can sell/trade the game again if I'm done with it. There are a couple of exceptions, like when I could buy Driveclub complete for just a couple of euros. Drop the price low enough and I'll bite.

The batteries are easy to replace, they use the button batteries 2032 I believe. I've had to replace them in a couple of games, you just need to know how to use a soldering iron

2 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

Oh I know. Believe me, I realize how much some gamers like their physical releases. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other. The only real value I see in physical releases is for collector's editions where the value is in items other than the game itself. I gave up on needing physical releases years ago, maybe because of coming from the PC gaming world where Steam reigns supreme over retail. 

Digital is the future whether we like it or not. One benefit of PSN / Wii U / 3DS / Switch digital titles is that you get to download them so at least that local copy can't be touched barring hard drive failure. I recently discovered to my surprise that Amazon Video, which lets you purchase digital TV shows / movies, no longer allows you to download a local copy (which you CAN do with music but not video) besides the tablet "watch offline" crappy SD version. So in that case you are completely tied to their network. 

All that being said, I still got Zelda BotW retail, because $48 versus $60 (thanks to Best Buy's Gamers Club Unlocked) is nothing to sneeze at. It's a paid membership so the savings aren't quite $12 per game, but with the number of games I buy the cost gets spread out pretty thin. 

2 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

True, but Rime is another example. It's $10 more than the PS4/X1 versions, and to add insult to injury, it's coming out later. It could be the start of a trend. 

http://nintendowire.com/news/2017/03/08/rime-get-physical-release-switch-alongside-delay-price-bump/

Edited by MosesRockefeller

29 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Rime is another example. It's $10 more than the PS4/X1 versions, and to add insult to injury, it's coming out later. It could be the start of a trend. 

http://nintendowire.com/news/2017/03/08/rime-get-physical-release-switch-alongside-delay-price-bump/

Well, I guess another game earned a spot on my "not interested any more" pile.