Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

209 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

1 hour ago, TheStark700 said:

Recently, I bought Master Detective Archives Rain Code and it's a very unique game. Never played a game by Kazutaka Kodaka before although I'm very curious in the Dangan Ronpa serie now too.

Was planning to play Pokemon Scarlet again but it was very boring, might not get the DLC stuff at all. 

Personally, I enjoyed Danganronpa more than Rain Code just because I find the premise of DR more interesting and there's more of an emphasis on the characters in DR.

I've been playing more and more of Super Mario RPG. I now have Geno on my team and am working towards my 3rd star. Had no idea that "Rainbow Road" from Mario Kart was based on the premise of Super Mario RPG... cool stuff!

• Like 4

I just got Princess Peach in my party on Super Mario RPG. I'm really enjoying the humor with this one and love the fact you get to play as Bowser and Peach too. I feel like there's not a lot of games where they are a focal point of the game AND playable (Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, the new Princess Peach game, probably Super Mario World for Peach, and this? If I don't include Smash or Sports). Anyways, good to see them actually share the spotlight with Mario! XD

I also finally understand why people wanted Geno in smash too. His design is really cool and using guns is always welcomed. He's also just a beast in general in this game and does so much damage!

• Like 2

Played Dragon Quest 1 in tribute to Akira Toriyama recently. Made me wish the original trilogy had come out in English for PS4. I could try to get them off the Japanese store, but think that the first is the only one you can play without knowing much (or any) Japanese since it's simpler and the info you need to know is a lot less. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I got the Platinum in Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth (one of the best in the series IMO, I loved every minute of it), so now I'm spending more time on the Switch. Right now my Steam Deck and PS5 are getting neglected. I'm "supposed to be" playing Pokémon Legends Arceus, but I tried the demo and then bought Octopath Traveler 2 on sale, and that has been getting all my attention.

I'm really liking OT2. My only complaint so far is wishing there was more party interaction. The "travel banter" is great but I wish there was more of it. One thing I really like is the characters who have a "slice of life" main story. I started with Cassti, then Hikari, then Partitio, then Agnea. Of those, Hikari is the closest to a "traditional JRPG" story. This party is in the mid 30s level, and I haven't had to grind a whole lot so far. I have done a few times to do better in a couple of boss battles, but thankfully the combat is enjoyable. I guess there are a few ways to play with the characters in the game. I *think* if you have more than 4 party members, the extras sit things out and maybe don't gain XP? I decided to do 2 teams of 4, and I haven't picked up any of the second group yet. So the game will be like playing two halves. 

At some point I need to get back to Pokémon, and I still need to play the XC3 DLC prequel story. So many games... 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Viper said:

Started playing Zelda: Link's Awakening Remake. God I love this game! I had the GBC version when I was a kid and it was the first Zelda game I ever beat. So replaying the remake brings back so many memories with a fresh coat of paint. Which I have to say, the art style is gorgeous, it's like you're playing with toys...just remake every 2D Zelda like this and I'd be happy. Performance is fine, but there is some slow down, you can feel it dip a little below 30FPS at times....but it's nothing terrible.

I really want to see them do this exact same thing for Oracle of Time/Seasons and the Minish Cap. I feel like those games would be perfect for the same Remake style.

I really enjoyed the Remake. I played and beat it after playing it for like a week straight. Haha.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I got the Platinum in Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth (one of the best in the series IMO, I loved every minute of it), so now I'm spending more time on the Switch. Right now my Steam Deck and PS5 are getting neglected. I'm "supposed to be" playing Pokémon Legends Arceus, but I tried the demo and then bought Octopath Traveler 2 on sale, and that has been getting all my attention.

I'm really liking OT2. My only complaint so far is wishing there was more party interaction. The "travel banter" is great but I wish there was more of it. One thing I really like is the characters who have a "slice of life" main story. I started with Cassti, then Hikari, then Partitio, then Agnea. Of those, Hikari is the closest to a "traditional JRPG" story. This party is in the mid 30s level, and I haven't had to grind a whole lot so far. I have done a few times to do better in a couple of boss battles, but thankfully the combat is enjoyable. I guess there are a few ways to play with the characters in the game. I *think* if you have more than 4 party members, the extras sit things out and maybe don't gain XP? I decided to do 2 teams of 4, and I haven't picked up any of the second group yet. So the game will be like playing two halves. 

At some point I need to get back to Pokémon, and I still need to play the XC3 DLC prequel story. So many games... 

The Octopath Traveler 2 characters that are not in your party at the moment do not gain exp. I've been mixing and matching the characters regularly so they've gained exp pretty evenly. At least in the first Octopath Traveler all the 8 characters were needed in the end, so I'm trying to level up all of them.

I've finished 7/8 of the characters' stories. I've played for 142 hours now and I still have tons of content left in the game. I've been stubborn, haven't looked up any guides and I'm trying to finish each and every side quest I find.

As you finish the character stories, you'll unlock "extra stories" where two characters are featured and they'll have some more interaction with each other.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

The Octopath Traveler 2 characters that are not in your party at the moment do not gain exp. I've been mixing and matching the characters regularly so they've gained exp pretty evenly. At least in the first Octopath Traveler all the 8 characters were needed in the end, so I'm trying to level up all of them.

I've finished 7/8 of the characters' stories. I've played for 142 hours now and I still have tons of content left in the game. I've been stubborn, haven't looked up any guides and I'm trying to finish each and every side quest I find.

As you finish the character stories, you'll unlock "extra stories" where two characters are featured and they'll have some more interaction with each other.

Yeah that's what I thought about the extra characters. I much prefer the Like a Dragon system of "the rest of your team is tagging along in the background" and magically gaining XP, even if it doesn't make much sense. I'll stick to the 2 parties of 4. By the time I finish the stories of the first 4 characters they should be in their 50s, and then moving to the new team I would expect to end up at the same point, having everyone around the same level by the time the finale comes up. Another advantage for me personally at least, is its doable for me to remember what's going on in 4 stories at a time. 8, not so much. 

The game can be quite long, I agree! I've only played a handful of side quests, and some of them seem tricky to do without a guide. 

I have unlocked and done one side story si far. It was a nice low-stakes story (only the first half so far). I like that kind of stuff mixed in with the "the world is about to end" stuff that's typical of a lot of JRPGs. Not as much of that here so far. 

By the way, I skipped the first game. I read reviews of both and after reading that the second had more party interaction, I decided to just start there. If they make a third game hopefully it will be even more focused on the team going on an adventure together. 

• Like 3

I don't know where else to post my thoughts on Pokemon Brilliant Diamond so I guess I'll put them here. Most likely won't like my thoughts but it's just personally how I feel so I legitimately don't care.

It didn't take me very long. It depends on the Pokemon game and if it's even worth it (for me) but I saw no reason to play postgame in Pokemon Brilliant Diamond sorry I just didn't. It's mostly legendary catching anyway and that's not really something I'm that interested in.

So yes I finished Pokemon Brilliant Diamond. Look... think whatever you want at the end of the day. That's your right. Clearly. If you want to bury the game... then bury the game. I've said on multiple different occasions, and will continue to say so, that bullshit needs to be called out as bullshit. However... for me personally... and obviously this is literally just me okay... I just don't care. I'm sorry I just don't. The vast vocal majority whiny complaints I saw for this game are exactly that. Whiny complaints. But this is practically normal for the pokemon fanbase so what else is new. Does it suck they didn't change the story? Sure but I don't care. Is the chibi style good? No but I don't care. How exactly is this any different than HD2D anyway? I don't see the 'big deal' about HD2D but people keep claiming it's the greatest thing ever. What's the difference? Someone explain this to me please, because for me, there is no difference. What I did have issue with... is them throwing competitive at me during the story. If you want to put that in postgame... that's fine. But having it during the main story and with the Elite 4 and Champion? Get that shit out of here I'm sorry. I shouldn't of had to worry about this when I was only at the second gym. Perfect EVs, Perfect natures, egg moves, competitive held items, if this isn't competitive then I guess I don't know what is. It's competitive and nothing anyone says will make me feel differently. Get it out. I don't want it, it's not needed, and it's utterly ridiculous. I just want to chill and play Pokemon. I don't want to have to worry about f-ing competitive I'm sorry. I had to use X Items and I shouldn't have. Ridiculous. But hey at least I have respect for Azumarill now? I guess? (I do but I'm just saying)

I enjoyed the game. Is it good? No but calling it 'mid' I feel is too harsh for it as well. I enjoyed my time and my experience and the updated music. Imagine enjoying a game.

Here's my final team if anyone cares: Torterra, Staraptor, Luxray, Jirachi, Houndoom, Azumarill

• Like 1

Please excuse my shill post... 

It's been great to witness the rise of otome games recently. Their popularity has clearly increased a lot and I see a lot of new people getting into the genre. We're getting games localized into English at a rapid rate, last week an otome game (Utakata no Uchronia) topped the Japanese sales charts and even my local videogame store has started stocking physical otome games.

If stories are the main thing you value in games and you enjoy visual novels, you might find some gems in the otome genre. I played my first otome title in 2016 (Code: Realize) and after playing Café Enchanté in 2021 I became a real fan. Even though they're aimed at a female audience, they can be enjoyed by others as well. I know there are many men in the "fandom" and my husband has enjoyed watching me play the games (the mafia themed Piofiore games were his favorite so far).

If you don't know where to start, here's some popular games on Switch: 

Jack Jeanne https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/products/jack-jeanne-switch/

Virche Evermore https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/products/virche-evermore-error-salvation-switch/

Piofiore: Fated Memories (+ sequel Piofiore: Episodio 1926) https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/products/piofiore-fated-memories-switch/ https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/products/piofiore-episodio-1926-switch/

Café Enchanté https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/products/cafe-enchante-switch/

Cupid Parasite https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/products/cupid-parasite-switch/

Olympia Soirée https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/products/olympia-soiree-switch/

Collar x Malice https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/products/collar-x-malice-switch/

Radiant Tale https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/products/radiant-tale-switch/

Tengoku Struggle https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/products/tengoku-struggle-strayside-switch/

Bustafellows https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/products/bustafellows-switch/

Variable Barricade https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/products/variable-barricade-switch/

Birushana https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/products/birushana-rising-flower-of-genpei-switch/

Even If Tempest https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/products/even-if-tempest-switch/

Even though there are plenty of free-to-play mobile games on the market, I suggest staying away from those. I hear they have systems that gate progress + story content behind microtransactions and their structure is designed to get the most money out of players by employing FOMO tactics and other dark patterns. 

The games on Switch are full games with high production value, typically with 4-6 story routes, many offering 50+ hours of content you can freely enjoy at your own pace.

• Like 2

I've been playing a lot more Super Mario RPG lately. I must be getting near the end I feel like. I have 5/7 stars, chilling in the Nimbus City, Peach is maxed out on her abilities and is on level 20, and I beat Jinx and got the Jinx belt too.

I never played the original, but this game is excellent. It's not as robust as the original Paper Mario and its badge system, but there definitely is a bit of strategy involved still in what characters to use and when and using your flower power wisely. I'm hoping to push to have it done before TYD comes out as I plan to hit that one pretty hard.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 4

On 4/19/2024 at 9:46 PM, MosesRockefeller said:

Yeah that's what I thought about the extra characters. I much prefer the Like a Dragon system of "the rest of your team is tagging along in the background" and magically gaining XP, even if it doesn't make much sense. I'll stick to the 2 parties of 4. By the time I finish the stories of the first 4 characters they should be in their 50s, and then moving to the new team I would expect to end up at the same point, having everyone around the same level by the time the finale comes up. Another advantage for me personally at least, is its doable for me to remember what's going on in 4 stories at a time. 8, not so much. 

The game can be quite long, I agree! I've only played a handful of side quests, and some of them seem tricky to do without a guide. 

I have unlocked and done one side story si far. It was a nice low-stakes story (only the first half so far). I like that kind of stuff mixed in with the "the world is about to end" stuff that's typical of a lot of JRPGs. Not as much of that here so far. 

By the way, I skipped the first game. I read reviews of both and after reading that the second had more party interaction, I decided to just start there. If they make a third game hopefully it will be even more focused on the team going on an adventure together. 

I am starting Castti's final chapter today. I have my initial team on their final story chapters. Everyone is level 46 at the moment. I'm still enjoying the game, but I don't think I'll do too much past finishing the stories. I'm looking forward to finishing the first four characters and digging into the remaining four characters.

• Like 3

Do you think Nintendo will put out a demo for Paper Mario TTYD remake/remaster/whatever you want to call it? I bought (and will eventually play) some games inspired by it (Born of Bread and Bug Fables) so I wouldn't mind playing the inspiration obviously. If they do... I'll try it. They've been doing so more recently but obviously assumptions shouldn't be made.

Maybe I'll just buy it anyway. It's another 'wait and see' situation I suppose.

• Like 4

I’ve found my new favorite NPC backstory in Octopath Traveler II. These things make the game's world so charming and immersive. 

2588095e462bfcbcfd30f9a9fac5c3f250f889ae.jpg

Ambitious Youth
Details: A young boy who loves to sing and is determined to do so professionally. Unfortunately, he is both absolutely dreadful at singing and blissfully unaware of that fact. The people in his village, too kind to burden his innocent optimism with the truth, can only listen and weep.

Later on (after finishing a quest where he leaves his home village to pursue his dreams), I met him in a big bustling city!

8c70497dbbba34a86e5cb7625a0844e9600a319a.jpg

Ambitious Youth: “Hey there! My road to stardom’s going just as planned! Every time I sing, everyone around me bursts into tears!”

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 4/25/2024 at 2:42 PM, SelectiveGamer said:

Do you think Nintendo will put out a demo for Paper Mario TTYD remake/remaster/whatever you want to call it? I bought (and will eventually play) some games inspired by it (Born of Bread and Bug Fables) so I wouldn't mind playing the inspiration obviously. If they do... I'll try it. They've been doing so more recently but obviously assumptions shouldn't be made.

Maybe I'll just buy it anyway. It's another 'wait and see' situation I suppose.

We did get a demo for the recent Princess Peach game, so anything's possible.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kid Ryan said:

We did get a demo for the recent Princess Peach game, so anything's possible.

Personally, I'd doubt it since it's just a remaster of an older game and not a brand new IP they are trying to sell to audiences, but that's just me.

There's already plenty of gameplay footage available on the original game on YT to see how it plays, I'd suggest @SelectiveGamer to watch a bit of it to get a good idea (assuming that a demo isn't coming).

...Not saying a demo isn't welcomed though. It'd be amazing if it came for all first party games.

• Like 3

Has anyone here played Mario Party Superstars before since release? I had my eye on this game and it was on sale for a few times, just never picked it up. I saw Demon Slayer: Sweep the Board came out recently. 

I've read the manga and watched the anime so it got my curious. However, it also made me rethink about Mario Party Superstars.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TheStark700 said:

Has anyone here played Mario Party Superstars before since release? I had my eye on this game and it was on sale for a few times, just never picked it up. I saw Demon Slayer: Sweep the Board came out recently. 

I've read the manga and watched the anime so it got my curious. However, it also made me rethink about Mario Party Superstars.

Mario Party Superstars is a fun game with friends, local or online. I've played it a few times with the family though. Only problem with it is there is not many maps to choose from. However, I do think it put in the best mini-games and re-created them well for this game.

If you can get it for half price, it's probably worth it, but if you have NSO extra with the original trilogy, I find the original trilogy is better to play due to the variety in maps and gameplay.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Mario Party Superstars is a fun game with friends, local or online. I've played it a few times with the family though. Only problem with it is there is not many maps to choose from. However, I do think it put in the best mini-games and re-created them well for this game.

If you can get it for half price, it's probably worth it, but if you have NSO extra with the original trilogy, I the original trilogy is better to play due to the variety in maps and gameplay.

Just my 2 cents.

Ah I see, I might pick it up next time if I see it go on sale.

Same with Demon Slayer. My first party game was back in the N64 days when I played the first Mario Party game in the late 90s. Fun times!

• Like 1

Been playing Dragon Quest XII S on the Switch. I really love the game, but I've already played it on the PS4 so not sure I'll continue with it. I borrowed it from the library, so it's not really a loss. I've also picked up my 3DS again and started up Poochy and Yoshi's Wooly World. It's a fun and chill game. I'm not sure if I'll 100% everything tho. I'm really waiting for Paper Mario. I never got to play it back in the day.

• Like 1

An update on my Octopath Traveler 2 playthrough: After 150 hours I figured I need help with a few remaining side quests. I looked up a guide to finish the rest of them and I'm pretty glad I did - I don't think I would have figured some of them out on my own ever. 

In addition the guide helped me find some secret optional dungeons I hadn't found myself. For example, one optional dungeon required you to have 7 people in party (4 own characters + 3 NPC hires) when you go to a certain location so you can find and access it. I didn't see any hints about that in-game so finding it would have been just by pure luck.

I finished the last remaining character's story yesterday (Partitio) and next I'm heading to the final(?) moments of the game. But... some of the sidequests hinted that there's a certain someone from the first Octopath Traveler game present. Well, actually the game's original soundtrack already spoiled it for me. But I'm definitely going for full completion - including that certain someone. 

4 hours ago, Edunstar84 said:

Been playing Dragon Quest XII S on the Switch. I really love the game, but I've already played it on the PS4 so not sure I'll continue with it. I borrowed it from the library, so it's not really a loss. I've also picked up my 3DS again and started up Poochy and Yoshi's Wooly World. It's a fun and chill game. I'm not sure if I'll 100% everything tho. I'm really waiting for Paper Mario. I never got to play it back in the day.

Poochy & Yoshi is such a cute and laid back game. I played it to get into the right kind of relaxed summer vacation mindset a couple of years ago and it was perfect for that.

• Like 1