Any good SIMPLE guides for the monsters?

Alternatewarning

I don't think there's a solid guide per se.  I just typed in good mid game monsters and read through. 

I so know that a cactaur makes a pretty solid com and you can get one from the steppes. 

Any of the chocobos are decent if not amazing. Most of them can be found relatively early on with a little farming.

As far as I remember you can pretty much capture any of the monsters as soon as you reach their area, you just won't be able to fully level them until you get the better upgrade materials. 

1 minute ago, Alternatewarning said:

Oh good, then I won't worry too much about it  I just don't want to work myself into a corner by leveling monsters wrong

I am sure it would even easier if you did the monsters correctly but it is like Ni No Kuni. There are all these guides out there but in the end I just used my starting 3 Favourites and never had a problem except for 1 fight.

Good luck with the game :)

I remember Omega Weapon and Lightning being pretty OP. Omega is a DLC Colosseum fight and Lightning is obtained from the Lightning & Amodar DLC Colosseum fight. You also get FFXIII-2 Lightning for completing the Requiem of the Goddess DLC. Besides that, Silver Chocobo and Gold Chocobo are pretty good. One of them is a free treasure in that room where Hope is in Academia City. You need to throw Mog into the hologram in the center of the room to get it. I also remember having a Behemoth, but can't remember which one. It was from that area with the lunar eclipse.

Edited by Dragon-Archon
Corrected how to obtain Lightning
  • Like 1

I can't remember actually using the monsters all that much.

I remember grinding for items and to get a bit stronger against the super boss. Not much else TBH.

IIRC you should level up specific stats at specific levels (your main characters), because they get an extra boost at certain level ups. Else, there's not much of importance to the level system.

3 hours ago, MMDE said:

I can't remember actually using the monsters all that much.

I remember grinding for items and to get a bit stronger against the super boss. Not much else TBH.

IIRC you should level up specific stats at specific levels (your main characters), because they get an extra boost at certain level ups. Else, there's not much of importance to the level system.

Even the super boss isn't hard (the one you have to fight on the Beach on Hard Setting). I remember fighting him and all of a sudden remember "oh yeah I have Mega Elixirs I can use" and then the fight became painfully easy ^_^ It is that horrible thing in RPGs where we never use our items because we may need them later...but he was literally the last thing I had left to do so I figured "it might be safe to use these"

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Even the super boss isn't hard (the one you have to fight on the Beach on Hard Setting). I remember fighting him and all of a sudden remember "oh yeah I have Mega Elixirs I can use" and then the fight became painfully easy ^_^ It is that horrible thing in RPGs where we never use our items because we may need them later...but he was literally the last thing I had left to do so I figured "it might be safe to use these"

I have that same issue. Yay for hoarding items and then completely forgetting about them :highfive: .

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

I have that same issue. Yay for hoarding items and then completely forgetting about them :highfive: .

Or worse is when the game introduces a game mechanic like crafting or weapon upgrading early on when it doesn't matter then playing through the whole game forgetting you can do that (Star Ocean 4...cough cough)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Or worse is when the game introduces a game mechanic like crafting or weapon upgrading early on when it doesn't matter then playing through the whole game forgetting you can do that (Star Ocean 4...cough cough)

Or how about starting over twice to get every quest done, because the guide didn't mark them as missable :P . Are you over it or was it too soon?

5 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

I remember Omega Weapon and Lightning being pretty OP. Omega is a DLC Colosseum fight and IIRC Lightning is awarded for having a FFXIII save. You also get FFXIII-2 Lightning for completing the Requiem of the Goddess DLC. Besides that, Silver Chocobo and Gold Chocobo are pretty good. One of them is a free treasure in that room where Hope is in Academia City. You need to throw Mog into the hologram in the center of the room to get it. I also remember having a Behemoth, but can't remember which one. It was from that area with the lunar eclipse.

So glad I came here! That's a great tip to know. I usually completely delete the games I play.

4 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

I never used any of those items! ;)

10 hours ago, Edunstar84 said:

So glad I came here! That's a great tip to know. I usually completely delete the games I play.

Glad to have been able to help. You get some bonuses in Lightning Returns too for having a save file from FFXIII and FFXIII-2. Also in both 13 and 13-2 you get free themes for every gold and plat trophy, though people say trophies can glitch if you install any of them before obtaining the plat. I played it safe and didn't install them until after platting it.

18 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Glad to have been able to help. You get some bonuses in Lightning Returns too for having a save file from FFXIII and FFXIII-2. Also in both 13 and 13-2 you get free themes for every gold and plat trophy, though people say trophies can glitch if you install any of them before obtaining the plat. I played it safe and didn't install them until after platting it.

I'll remember not to do that then. Can't wait to finish 13. So much unnecessary grinding, and I haven't really started yet.

11 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Or how about starting over twice to get every quest done, because the guide didn't mark them as missable :P . Are you over it or was it too soon?

I don't know what you are talking about...I have no memory of running back and forth for hours trying to get a single Egg to drop just to realize that I have to do it all again...so I run back and forth trying to get a single egg to drop to realize I have to do it all again...then have to run back and forth for a single egg to drop hoping it is my last time I have to do this :(

7 hours ago, MMDE said:

I never used any of those items! ;)

Now that is the RPG way :D

9 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

I don't know what you are talking about...I have no memory of running back and forth for hours trying to get a single Egg to drop just to realize that I have to do it all again...so I run back and forth trying to get a single egg to drop to realize I have to do it all again...then have to run back and forth for a single egg to drop hoping it is my last time I have to do this :(

Seems like you've passed the anger stage and are now in denial, this is good. You're one step closer to acceptance :yay: .

• Like 1

On 2/3/2017 at 8:11 PM, Dragon-Archon said:

I remember Omega Weapon and Lightning being pretty OP. Omega is a DLC Colosseum fight and IIRC Lightning is awarded for having a FFXIII save. You also get FFXIII-2 Lightning for completing the Requiem of the Goddess DLC. Besides that, Silver Chocobo and Gold Chocobo are pretty good. One of them is a free treasure in that room where Hope is in Academia City. You need to throw Mog into the hologram in the center of the room to get it. I also remember having a Behemoth, but can't remember which one. It was from that area with the lunar eclipse.

I assume this is after you finish the game the first time?  Since I still have my plat 13 game on the PS3

On 2/4/2017 at 0:51 AM, Dr_Mayus said:

I'm not the only one!

1 hour ago, Alternatewarning said:

Huh, I didn't...even though I have a completed FFXIII.  I got the Lightning theme but no monster

I rechecked this and it seems Lightning is obtained from the Lightning and Amodar Colosseum DLC fight, which was included in the CE along with the Omega fight. My bad :facepalm: .