Help me speed up my ps3!

Agent-Oranje

Once I ask for the sage wisdom of fellow psnp members.

My 120GB PS3 slim, has become ridiculously slow, when it comes to viewing/sending messages and viewing my trophy profile. By the time I send a message to somebody, I have already received a reply to it. Same with viewing the trophy profile. It takes forever to load a trophy image.

I have looked up online, and I followed the steps to "speed up" my XMB:

1) Make sure the PS3 is in standby mode and the light is red.

2) Hold the power button until you hear 3 beeps and the machine will then turn back off.

3) Once you're sure the PS3 is back into standby mode with the red light, hold the power button again until you hear 3 beeps. A quick double beep will confirm you have successfully reached the recovery menu and select "Recover File System".

But this hasn't helped at all :(

Any suggestions? Please and Thank You :)

- Make sure you have the latest firmware update

- Try deleting some save files and/or game data

- If this doesn't work, try starting the PS3 in safe mode and choose the option to rebuild the database, you can read how to do this here:

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-Technical-Help/Using-the-Safe-Mode-function-on-your-PlayStation-3/m-p/12600846/highlight/true#M1803

I believe this will not delete any saves or game data.

Please note that if your profile and messages are loading slowly, this could also have something to do with your internet connection. Try resetting your modem/router first by unplugging the power and then restart them after 5 minutes or so.

• Like 1

my ps3 has the same problem, but usually when I'm doing multiple things like playing a game that makes the ps3 work hard, like for that reason I don't use playstation home anymore its horrendously slow, however, I had like 8 full games in my hard drive, and I wasn't playing any of them, so I deleted some of them and left the ones that I'll be playing so that when I finish those I can go and re-download the others, deleting game data and saves also help, but make sure you are getting rid of something you'll never use again, btw deleting all messages also helps, as the ps3 won't have to load every message when you go in the message box. Good luck!

• Like 1

So did this not WORK or did you not manage to get to the menu?

If you successfully restored your database and it didn't work, try deleting all your messages, and some old game data for games you dont play/own anymore. I do that from time to time and my ps3 runs well. Thanks for reminding me though, I need to restore my database.

• Like 1

...all the problems mentioned are internet based, is your internet slow outside of these areas? like loading the PS store? Don't delete anything yet... ESPECIALLY save data...

I dont think so, as my ps3 is in dmz.I also checked it at a mates house and its still slow as hell :(

My phat 80 gig has none of these issues...

So did this not WORK or did you not manage to get to the menu?

If you successfully restored your database and it didn't work, try deleting all your messages, and some old game data for games you dont play/own anymore. I do that from time to time and my ps3 runs well. Thanks for reminding me though, I need to restore my database.

It didnt work... I recovered file system though. Can you guarantee that restoring database wont delete my save files? I've sunk far too many hours into FarCry 2 to lose it all :P

I have deleted all my messages and all irrelevant game data. Have 38/111 GB Free .... Im guessing that if restoring the database doesn't work, i have to rebuild the ps3 system?

- Make sure you have the latest firmware update

- Try deleting some save files and/or game data

- If this doesn't work, try starting the PS3 in safe mode and choose the option to rebuild the database, you can read how to do this here:

http://community.eu....ight/true#M1803

I believe this will not delete any saves or game data.

Please note that if your profile and messages are loading slowly, this could also have something to do with your internet connection. Try resetting your modem/router first by unplugging the power and then restart them after 5 minutes or so.

Thanks for the link! :)

As others have said, it sounds like your problems are internet based. I used to have similar problems before I upgraded my internet. As for trophy syncing, I have found that it takes longer the more trophies you get, and there does not seem to be anything one can do about it.

It didn't work... I recovered file system though. Can you guarantee that restoring database wont delete my save files? I've sunk far too many hours into FarCry 2 to lose it all :P

I myself can guarantee this won't happen. I've done it a few times. All that get's lost are any playlists and albums you may have made [Files stay on the hard drive, but you'll need to reorganize and recreate any music playlists], and your messages get deleted.

It's essentially the equivalent of defragmenting your PC.

Edited by Fox
  • Like 1

restoring database does not effect your files. I did it multiple times and my saved were untouched

I myself can guarantee this won't happen. I've done it a few times. All that get's lost are any playlists and albums you may have made [Files stay on the hard drive, but you'll need to reorganize and recreate any music playlists], and your messages get deleted.

It's essentially the equivalent of defragmenting your PC.

Cool! thanks Guys :)

As others have said, it sounds like your problems are internet based. I used to have similar problems before I upgraded my internet. As for trophy syncing, I have found that it takes longer the more trophies you get, and there does not seem to be anything one can do about it.

Im about a 100% sure it isnt related to my connection as it has the same problem with different connections. My phat works just fine under the same circumstances..

Cool! thanks Guys :)

Im about a 100% sure it isnt related to my connection as it has the same problem with different connections. My phat works just fine under the same circumstances..

Well, in that case I have absolutely no clue. I found personally it was my internet, or the amount of trophies I had. Sorry I can't help :( .

• 2 weeks later...

are you playing games when your trying to read messages, because this can have a strong effect on performance of the console, i recommend reading your messages before and after you played your games that way the system hasn't got to focus on running 2 at once, also it could be your internet that is a bit slow this can effect your console when your trying to do something internet related, another recommendation would be to upgrade your broadband to at least 30MB or higher... B)

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to update the thread to say that I restored my database last night and it has completely fixed all my issues with messages/save data/ trophies loading etc etc!!

So it was definitely not the internet :P

Once again thanks to everybody who offered advice and resolve my issue :)